more ยป" />

Yoga in the Park

by Meghann on July 8, 2012

I do not take advantage of free yoga nearly enough in this city.

I’m not sure why, there are some good ones to choose from. Lululemon offers a free class every Saturday morning and it’s great. It’s late enough in the morning where you can get a good run in before hand and you can window shop while practicing. Win. Win.

While you start your weekend at Lululemon, you can end it with Yoga Downtown Tampa. Every Sunday evening they offer a free yoga class at Curtis Hixon Park. If the weather’s right you can practice on the greens with 50 or so of your closest yoga friends. Despite being in the middle of the city, it’s an oddly serene and peaceful setting.

I feel like I’ve been promising myself an evening at Yoga in the Park for months now, but the problem with the Sunday class is that, even if I’m in back in town or have nothing planned at the time of the class, that’s usually my “lazy time” and I don’t feel like driving anywhere. I mean, that tends to be the case if I’ve had a big weekend. However, since I’ve done nothing but mainly sit on my butt all day, this Sunday felt like fair game.

I arrived early with book in hand and spent 30 minutes reading on my yoga mat. I need to escape to the park more often to read; it was very soothing and the perfect way to relax before yoga.

Having a buddy helped get my butt to class, too. Stephanie and I were talking up yoga on our bike ride yesterday, I think we both needed it after those hot and sweaty miles.

Steph and I had been texting back and forth about weather before I left. Clouds were starting to roll in on my side of town and I was afraid we would get rained out of our practice. Steph said there was still no rain in downtown, but the forecast wasn’t in our favor for 6:00pm.

We both considered bailing in fear of a wash out, but a quick scan of the Facebook page informed us that in the event of rain, yoga would be moved under the overhang of the museum. That was all we needed to read, knowing there was a rain back-up plan we both decided it was worth the risk to check it out.

And it’s a good thing there was a back-up plan because at 6:00pm on the dot, there was rain. And, you know what? We all moved under the overhang. No big deal.

The yoga class lasted just under an hour and was exactly what I needed. It pulled me, it stretched me, and it challenged me beyond my current yoga skills. Again, why don’t I take advantage of these free classes more often?

If you’re in the Tampa area, the free classes sponsored by Yoga Downtown Tampa are open to everyone. They’re every Sunday evening at 6:00pm in Curtis Hixon Park. ๐Ÿ™‚

Backing up to the rest of the day…

Lunch was pretty fantastic.

I sauteed some tempeh with kale and bbq sauce, then used that as a sandwich filler with the herby Boars Head cheese I had picked up on Friday.

Talk about yum! I think it was the cheese that pulled everything together. ๐Ÿ˜‰

On the side I made some rutabaga fries with ketchup.

Derek and I had a few errands to run this afternoon. One of which was to check-in with a couple of suit places in town in regards to groomsmen attire for the wedding. I’ll have to expand more on that on the Wedding Page this week, but it’s another one of those where we’re still researching our options to get an idea on what’s out there. We’re not going the “traditional” route on this one, which makes our vision a little more difficult to pursue, but not impossible. We’ll see.

I had some mango with walnuts before yoga.

And Derek helped with dinner after.

Whole wheat pasta with lentils, carrots, onion, kale, and fresh parmesan.

Licorice for dessert.

(Twizzlers are better ;))

It’s going to be a crazy week, better soak up the rest of the weekend while I can.

Good Night!

1 Cait's Plate July 8, 2012 at 11:17 pm

I always mean to remember to try rutabaga fries and keep forgetting! Definitely putting this on the list for next week! ๐Ÿ™‚
Cait’s Plate recently posted..The Lost Meal

2 Annette @FitnessPerks July 8, 2012 at 11:54 pm

Yoga in the park sounds so perfect!! What a nice evening ๐Ÿ™‚
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Focus On: Lat Pulldown

3 Sana July 9, 2012 at 12:22 am

I don’t do yoga often at all, but I love outdoor yoga!
Sana recently posted..Staying Cool In the Heat

4 Lena @Fit on the Rocks July 9, 2012 at 12:25 am

There are so many free yoga events here in Denver, too! Actually, just free fitness events in general. I don’t know why I don’t take advantage of these either, but I should probably start…
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Humidity is the Bane of My Existence & Giveaway Winner

5 Samantha July 9, 2012 at 1:13 am

It depends on the Lulu store when their yoga class is. For example, my store does its free class Sunday morning because our showroom does their class on Saturday morning. We also have a run club mid week that runs through the mall then down the Strip (perks of Las Vegas ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) We also just hosted a free yoga class at a event downtown. It’s one of those things that you never really notice is there until you experience it and realize how great it is! Nothing beats free ๐Ÿ˜‰

6 jessie July 9, 2012 at 3:39 am

Your whole Sunday looked like the most perfect & relaxing day!

*Both your lunch and dinner look soo good (insert drooling!!)
jessie recently posted..One Lovely Blog Award

7 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats July 9, 2012 at 6:35 am

Yoga in the park does look so peaceful! I need to search around for some good free yoga classes here in Chicago, I’m sure there are plenty!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Bar Review!

8 Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 9, 2012 at 7:12 am

I love the idea of doing yoga outside … but I bet it was pretty hot in Tampa! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Bringing Chipotle into my home kitchen.

9 Meet Me At The Finishline July 9, 2012 at 7:50 am

I love practicing yoga outside it seems like it just gets you back to the true intention of yoga! I would take advantage more of the free yoga here in KC, but I’m so particular with my practice that I want certain instructors. I am digging on Ashtanga lately ๐Ÿ™‚ Looks like a beautiful way to cap a lazy Sunday!

10 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope July 9, 2012 at 8:16 am

That yoga looks like it would be fun! I’ve never done yoga before but it’s something I’d like to get into for stress relief. ๐Ÿ™‚
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..A Heatwave Filled Weekend!โ€ฆ

11 Megan July 9, 2012 at 9:38 am

Great pics!! I went to UT so I love the downtown shots ๐Ÿ™‚

also love your teal lulu tank – that’s an older one! wish they came out with it again

12 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City July 9, 2012 at 9:52 am

I really need to try rutabega fries! They look so tasty.

I think there is free yoga in Chicago too but I always forget to look up the information. I’m sure it would be great and so good for me but unfortunately when I get busy yoga is the first thing to go!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Monday Things {07-09-2012}

13 Sarah July 9, 2012 at 10:07 am

I love the idea of free yoga classes and community classes – I’m training to be a yoga teacher right now and I really would love to have a few community classes a month at my studio!
Sarah recently posted..What A Week

14 Faith @ For the Health of It July 9, 2012 at 10:31 am

I’ll be in Tampa this weekend…maybe I can talk my boyfriend into his first yoga class ever (especially since it’s free!) If not, I’ll definitely keep my eyes out for a good one in Orlando. I rarely go to the full store (just the outlet) so I rarely remember to check their class schedule!
Faith @ For the Health of It recently posted..Notes from the Weekend

15 Lisa Eirene (@LisaEirene) July 9, 2012 at 2:38 pm

I need to do this. There are plenty of “yoga in the park” and “boot camp in the park” in my city but I’ve never done it. It’s something I KNOW I would love doing.

16 April July 9, 2012 at 7:50 pm

I love community Yoga too! I headed out with 2 friends Sunday as well to free yoga at Ananda Shala in Frederick…perfect post-run solution!!

17 Sara@RunningInPinkProject July 9, 2012 at 8:10 pm

I need to make those fries. They always look so good! Ive always wanted to try a freebie yoga class and get out of my normal Bikram routine a little. Ill have to check that out.
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..Kitchen Sink Spaghetti

18 Jessica July 9, 2012 at 8:11 pm

UM WHAT?!
I live in Tampa and I had no clue about these free yoga classes.
I need to get with it!

Thanks for sharing, girl ๐Ÿ™‚ I may just have to see what these are all about!

xo

19 Lana July 9, 2012 at 10:11 pm

I’m so glad the rain held out for y’all!! I totally need to check this out!! The free yoga around Tampa is AMAZING…and reading your book in the park sound like heaven.