So about that speech I have to give…

by Meghann on June 18, 2012

Fooooodddddd

Today’s lunch: a random cous cous/ bean bowl with

• arugula
  • cous cous
  • navy beans
  • walnuts
  • olives
  • goat cheese
  • tomatoes
  • honey mustard dressing

Gotta love those random bowl of food.

The Big Speech!

Want to hear something crazy?

My sister is getting married THIS Saturday! Is it really almost June 23rd already? They weren’t kidding when they said her year+ engagement would fly by.

Want to hear something crazier?

I’m the maid of honor and I haven’t finished my speech. Heck, I’ve barely started it. Gulp.

So…umm…. funny story. As I was writing this post on how I do not have a maid of honor speech, I sort of wrote one. Funny how that happens. I just started writing about the beginning of Kelly and Anthony’s relationship (with the point being that I’ve been *thinking* about writing this speech since day one) and it came to me.

Thank goodness, too. I’d tried writing this speech several times over the last year, but it always felt forced and un-natural. I was trying to make it funny, sappy, and beautiful all at the same time, but that was way too much pressure! Today I just started writing from the heart and let the words flow without any idea where they were going. After a while I re-read what I had written and thought, wait a minute this isn’t a bad outline for a speech. I cut it out of the blog post, pasted it on a word document, and added a few pieces to make it more speech like. Done. πŸ™‚

Now there’s the whole giving the actual speech to be nervous about. I was starting to sweat just writing the words – who knows what my nerves are going to be like when I actually say them out loud. *gulp* I tend to feel more nervous giving speeches to friends and family, than I do strangers. The strangers I don’t ever get to see again – the family will (jokingly) taunt me for as long as they see fit if I make a mistake (or so I worry about).

I still have 5 days to practice, and practice I will. Maddie is an awesome listener… even if she doesn’t hit the crying or laughing cues when she supposed to. πŸ˜‰ Plus, I’m sure a good glass of wine couldn’t hurt before giving the speech. Make that a big glass of wine. Or a shot. Shots work too. πŸ˜‰

Have you ever given a maid of honor/ best man speech? Any advice?

1 Meghan R June 18, 2012 at 3:08 pm

My only piece of advice is to make sure not to drink TOO much before the speech. Stop at one drink or you run the risk of turning in to a blubbering/crying mess before you get through the first couple of sentences. And if you think your sister is going to cry, try not to look at her until you are almost done.

2 Army Amy* June 18, 2012 at 5:34 pm

That was going to be my advice, too. I attended a wedding a few years back where the maid of honor announced that she was, “Three sheets to the wind!” before making her speech.*
Army Amy* recently posted..Streaking: Week 3

3 Krista June 18, 2012 at 3:16 pm

I was the maid of honor at my sisters wedding & gave a speech & the only thing I regret was crying so much! I was a mess!

4 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats June 18, 2012 at 3:16 pm

I wrote my speech for my brother’s wedding the day before, haha and it turned out just fine. Although I was totally upstaged by one of his groomsmen. He had all the funny college stories…
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..I’m A Solemate!

5 Hillary June 18, 2012 at 3:24 pm

I gave the MOH speech at my best friend’s wedding in October. I had been planning what I wanted to say for months, but I didn’t get the actual speech written down until a few days before. My best advice is to keep it brief, honest, and authentic—obviously your love for Kelly and Anthony will come through. Oh, and a glass of champagne works wonders! ; ) You’ll be great.

6 Jen Correa @ Mom's Gotta Run June 18, 2012 at 3:41 pm

While I think it’s important to speak from the heart, make sure you have some bullet points, or you will be off on a tangent about “that time you and your sister…” However, expect to ad-lib just to keep it interesting and lively. Good luck!
Jen Correa @ Mom’s Gotta Run recently posted..2 Legs Down (literally) & One to Go

7 Cait @ Cait Strides June 18, 2012 at 3:49 pm

I gave the maid of honor speech at my sister’s wedding. I had a mental outline for what I wanted to say in my head (certain things I wanted to bring up, jokes the family was in on, etc). But mostly I just got up there and spoke from the heart. I like speeches that seem impromptu instead of written/outlined, they seem more personal to me. It also helped that my little brother got up right after me and spoke about my sister’s husband in conjunction with my speech. We brought the room to tears!
Cait @ Cait Strides recently posted..Father’s Day

8 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More June 18, 2012 at 4:03 pm

It’s funny how sometimes we write things we don’t imagine to turn out the way they do. When you stopped thinking about WHAT TO SAY, it just happened. I’m sure you’ll be fine. But yes, a glass of wine would probably help. πŸ˜‰
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Irish Boys

9 Holly June 18, 2012 at 4:15 pm

I had to give a Maid of Honor speech on the spot! The bride had told me there would be no speeches, so I didn’t prepare one. But then, at the reception, the Best Man gave a speech and then invited me up! Luckily, the day had me so nostalgic, I came up with something pretty quick.

10 RunEatRepeat June 18, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Have a drink to relax before hand so it seems natural. But don’t have ten drinks…

Good luck!
RunEatRepeat recently posted..Monday Mini-Goals and The Jersey Housewives

11 The Many Thoughts of a Reader June 18, 2012 at 4:56 pm

yum! that looks good.

i made some lettuce wraps with couscous, black beans, cheese, onion, celery and salsa for lunch. delicious!
The Many Thoughts of a Reader recently posted..When The Bough Breaks

12 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama June 18, 2012 at 4:59 pm

I’ve never given a big speech but my recommendation is at least a couple of shots prior to your time at the mike. Not too many – you don’t want to be a slobbery drunk! πŸ˜‰
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Color Me Rad 5K Race #Giveaway!

13 Anne June 18, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Best advice is to not try too hard for the laughs. I did that at my sisters wedding, and it was sooo awkward! Even though I thought my stories were super cute and funny….no one laughed! Ugh! However, at my best friends wedding, I spoke more about love and our friendship and what she means to me, and it was WAY better. It was real and not a comedy routine!

14 Courtney June 18, 2012 at 5:06 pm

I totally love how you throw a bunch of shizz together in a bowl and I’m drooling, yet when I throw shizz in a bowl it just looks and well, tastes, like shizz.
Courtney recently posted..Crossfit for Hope

15 Jordan @ Bake Write Sleep June 18, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Hey Meghann! It’s Jordan (the one who used to write Salt Sweat Sugar!) – I just stumbled across your blog again. I just got back into blogging. I added you back to my Reader (although I read all the posts in my actual browser ;] ) I just wanted to take the time to say hi again. I haven’t talked to you or Caitlin much since I quit blogging shortly after I met you guys in Orlando… so hi! =]

16 Macrae June 18, 2012 at 5:13 pm

I didn’t prepare a speech and just did it on the spot! Honestly, the day (whole weekend) is so full of emotion that I just said what I was truly feeling and had always felt for my brother and sister-in-law. You will do great! There are a bunch of speeches so really a heart felt, short, and maybe a quick funny unique story is best. You’ll probably get caught up in the moment and venture from what you originally planned! Enjoy the special time πŸ™‚

17 Rachel Wilkerson June 18, 2012 at 5:40 pm

I JUST read this article on great wedding toasts yesterday! http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/17/fashion/the-art-of-the-wedding-toast.html?pagewanted=all

Good luck with the big speech! I’m sure everyone will love it.
Rachel Wilkerson recently posted..{the life} A 31 Day Challenge

18 Annette @FitnessPerks June 18, 2012 at 5:45 pm

You can totally do this!! Just smile and cry and everyone will love it. Hehe πŸ™‚
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Refuel, When? + PopChips Review

19 Heather June 18, 2012 at 5:57 pm

I was a bridesmaid in my cousins wedding last month and had to give a toast. She married a man from South Africa and apparently at the weddings he’s been to, everyone in the party says something. It actually worked out nice for us because all of us girls focused on a different part of her life, starting with me and her childhood. I HATE public speaking and all of us girls were really nervous. I pretty much had my part memorized but once I got up there I had that “Oh my God everyone’s looking at me” moment. But, I just took a deep breath and basically looked at my cousin the entire time I was speaking and it went really well. You will be fine! πŸ™‚

20 Michelle June 18, 2012 at 7:16 pm

I’m sure you’ll do great! Just find a natural way to “break the ice” (for example – my brother made a “joke” about deleting the speech from his phone at my little brother’s wedding, which would have been typical for him) and then speak from the heart. Hopefully the speeches are early during the night so you aren’t sitting there worrying about all night.
Michelle recently posted..Father’s Day Weekend: Always Worth the Pain in the Neck

21 Heather June 18, 2012 at 8:32 pm

I gave one at my sisters rehersal dinner, it was nerve wracking, but fine. In my experience short is better. people dont want to sit and listen to a loonnggg speech!
Heather recently posted..Cruise on the Magic Part 3

22 Bethany @ More Fruit Please June 18, 2012 at 8:37 pm

A few years ago, I had to give a speech in front of crowd that was basically praising someone else (saying how happy/proud I was of them). As I was talking, I could hear my voice start to quiver. I was really embarrassed until I realized that the crowd couldn’t tell that I was nervous. They thought I was getting emotional and fighting back tears! So I suggest that if you feel yourself getting nervous, just focus on the love you have for your sister and let that shine through!
Bethany @ More Fruit Please recently posted..A Reason To Celebrate

23 BroccoliHut June 18, 2012 at 10:00 pm

I was a maid of honor in each of my sisters’ weddings, but I didn’t give a speech at my oldest sister’s–I was 17 with braces and completely awkward. You couldn’t have paid me to speak!
However, I did make a speech at my other sister’s rehearsal dinner. I referenced a few funny family stories (nothing too embarrassing), mentioned how much I loved the groom, and closed in less than 5 minutes. Short and sweet is how I like to roll πŸ™‚
BroccoliHut recently posted..The Light Box

24 Stephanie June 19, 2012 at 9:02 am

Hey Meghann! I was the MOH in my roommate’s wedding last month and I swore up and down I would write my speech out and practice it. I didn’t end up doing that (you’re already a step ahead of me) I just came up with an outline in my head and on the day of I was shaking and didn’t even make it a single word in before I was crying, but it was real and it was from my heart and I got so many compliments on it. You’re going to do great cause it’s from you to your sister and you love her. That’s what really matters. I can’t wait to hear it!

25 Alyson June 19, 2012 at 11:00 am

Omg good luck with the speech and your sister’s wedding! My sister is getting married in August (seriously, where has this year gone?!) …so I definitely can’t wait to hear about any advice you might have πŸ™‚

26 Kashi at Cape Island Runners June 19, 2012 at 3:32 pm

I haven’t had to give a speech yet, but at my wedding last year, my sisterdi. She killed it!! It was funny, sweet and she was able to link a childhood memory to my new marriage. The best man speech was equally impressive – same idea – funny, sweet and also linked a long ago memory to the start of our relationship. So keep it short, emotional and genuine and you can’t go wrong!

27 M June 20, 2012 at 12:56 am

Wine definitley works. I hate public speaking and I was moh for my bf’s wedding. I probably drank a little too much before my speech but I was so nervous that in the end it just balanced out and it was probably the best speech id ever given!

28 Laura June 21, 2012 at 11:15 am

I wrote my maid of honor speech the morning of the wedding, lol. I was afraid that the best man would have some awesome hilarious speech but he didn’t even write one, & he just kind of winged it, so in the end my spontaneous but semi-rehearsed speech won lol