Day 1 of Modelfit

by Meghann on June 18, 2012

Good Morning!!

How was everyone’s weekend? Mine was filled with berries, Maddie time, and a good book that made me cry. I’d say it was a good one. πŸ˜‰

This week I’m excited to announce I’m starting the Modelfit program with Chris Kelly of Peak Fitness.

201206180952.jpg

As you may recall, I met with Chris a couple of weeks ago regarding his online coaching program, ModelFit. We discussed my goals (faster 5k, stronger muscles, looking hot in my wedding dress, etc. etc.) and he evaluated my skills and current strengths and weakness. He then turned all that information into a personalized program which appeared in my inbox last week.

There’s a lot of information (4 attachments worth!) that I still have to go over Chris with (especially the “diet” portion that I’m not too crazy about at the moment). So I’ll hold off any thoughts regarding the specifics at the moment, and instead give a quick breakdown of what the actual training he designed, with workouts that remind me a lot of my NROLFW days.

Screen shot 2012-06-18 at 9.54.17 AM.png

Strength training 3x a week, cardio 3x a week, and a complete rest day.

Again, still need to follow-up with Chris on the details for this. Since training for my HIM doesn’t kick into high gear until next month, this schedule is temporary and fine for now. I’m putting my trust in Chris, as he has worked with triathletes before and knows how their bodies and training schedules work, but I’m sure that doesn’t mean I won’t be stubborn and try to go off on my own every once in a while. πŸ˜‰

The bonus is that Chris laid everything out in an easy to follow format that came complete with photos and hyperlinked videos.

Screen shot 2012-06-18 at 10.14.53 AM.png

I love a good video. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve google “XYZ workout demonstration video.” πŸ˜‰

Strength Workouts A and B are really where I get a sense of NROLFW deja vu. The workouts are short (only two circuits consisting of 3-4 moves that you repeat 3 times), start with an active stretching warm-up, end with a conditioning routine, and take roughly 30 minutes to complete.

I completed “Workout A” this morning as instructed. Active warm-up, followed by strength circuit 1 and 2, ending with the conditioning. Nothing terribly hard (though, the conditioning was a tad challenging) or earth shattering. Honestly, the workouts were a little simpler than I was expecting (I had the same thoughts at the beginning of NROLFW) and I was thirsty for some heavier weighted workouts.

But, this is just the beginning and the workout has room to grow. I’ll just have to wait and see where it goes from here!

My breakfast:

Two eggs

One peach

An english muffin with pumpkin butter
I’m not usually one for eggs in the morning, but having them two to three times per week is part of the plan. πŸ˜‰
Have a great Monday everyone!

1 Sana June 18, 2012 at 10:43 am

Def talk to Chris about the diet part, it might be interesting to try something new on the eating front?
Sana recently posted..Friends and A Celebration

2 Meghann June 18, 2012 at 10:47 am

Totally agree. I’m open to diet changes, I’m just not a fan of how low his current calorie count goals are for me. Once we tweak those, I’m excited to get started.

3 Jess June 18, 2012 at 3:57 pm

I really hope he didn’t give you something irresponsible like 1200-1500 calories – I’ve seen trainers do that with people who are active (though not perhaps as active as you) and I think they should be ashamed to call themselves part of a move towards fitness and health.

I am glad that you don’t take all of these recommendations seriously.
Jess recently posted..(Beyond) Beyond Bananas

4 Becky @ runfundone June 18, 2012 at 11:14 am

Lol, I’d flat out refuse if a trainer tried to put me on a diet. I just can’t do it!

I bet he’ll increase the intensity of your strength program if you ask!!!
Becky @ runfundone recently posted..The Great Clamming Adventure!

5 Brianna June 18, 2012 at 11:25 am

omg! I can’t get over how delicious your food ALWAYS looks!! I look forward to reading about your ModelFit journey πŸ™‚

6 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More June 18, 2012 at 11:26 am

I always love trying new programs. I’m currently doing the FitMixer bootcamp and love the way it’s made me adjust my usual workout regime. There’s a diet involved with it that I wasn’t super thrilled about at first (just in the sense that I don’t enjoy counting calories) but after I got through the first couple weeks, it’s become natural to record what I’ve eaten and I’ve found I pay more attention to my hunger levels. Instead of assuming a big bowl of yogurt with berries and granola isn’t enough, I’ve found that it actually DOES hold me over until snack time pretty well.
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Irish Boys

7 Cait's Plate June 18, 2012 at 11:29 am

That peach looks PERFECT!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Yolk.

8 Katie June 18, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Sounds interesting, I went to their website and was intrigued! Is there someone we can contact about getting a similar plan?

9 Meghann June 18, 2012 at 3:29 pm

That’s a good question. I’ll have to get back to you! πŸ™‚

10 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats June 18, 2012 at 1:30 pm

I’m interested to hear more about the diet portion of this. I’m always looking for plans but the diet portion is hard for me to follow because 1) I don’t want to trigger my old calorie-restricting self and 2) I can’t have gluten or soy, which makes many plans I find in books or online hard to follow.
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..I’m A Solemate!

11 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City June 18, 2012 at 1:38 pm

I love how good peaches are right now!

Be careful about the diet part and under fueling. Especially going into HIM training. You don’t want to run your body down and risk an injury! I’m excited to hear more about the plan in general though!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Weekend Update

12 Meghann June 18, 2012 at 3:30 pm

That’s my concern, and what I need to follow up with Chris on. πŸ™‚

13 Annette @FitnessPerks June 18, 2012 at 1:48 pm

I love training for tri’s and making sure there’s enough weight training in there. Awesome!

Mmmmmm peaches!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Refuel, When? + PopChips Review

14 Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness June 18, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Good luck with the training plan! Looks like a good one! It’s really great to see that mobility is a part of the plan! It’s so important but often gets overlooked!
Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness recently posted..Marvelous in my Monday!

15 Meghan @ Run With Meg June 18, 2012 at 2:02 pm

I’m interested to hear about the diet. I’ve always had a tough time sticking to diets but I’d be curious to learn about suggested eats for toning up.
Meghan @ Run With Meg recently posted..Love the Run

16 Melissa @TryingtoHeal June 18, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Good luck with the new workout schedule! I hope it goes well!
Melissa @TryingtoHeal recently posted..Next Big Adventure: Into the Jungle

17 Jamie @ StudioEats June 18, 2012 at 3:24 pm

I love how you always switch up your workouts. I think that’s really important to do and also keeps us from getting bored! I just bought NROLFW the other day and am considering starting it..
Jamie @ StudioEats recently posted..On Preparing for the Week

18 Emily N June 18, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Good luck with your new plan. Let us know how the discussion about calories goes. πŸ™‚
Emily N recently posted..A Birthday Question, and more with the Vitamix

19 Sara@RunningInPinkProject June 18, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Good for you for following up about your diet needs. Thats so important. πŸ™‚
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..Sweeter

20 Angela June 18, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Good luck with the training plan! I love a good training plan I need some structure in work outs to keep me motivated.
Angela recently posted..What I Wore Saturday

21 Bethany June 19, 2012 at 9:22 am

I know what you mean about the diet change thing… When the BF and i started P90X almost 2 months ago he insisted that we follow the nutrition plan too. We eat quite heathy in general so i was all “psh what do we need that plan for?” but i gotta say i have seen major changes that i know the tweak in diet is responsible for. Like the fitnessista say – change creates change! I tend to get in food ruts and can eat the same thing day in and day out so it was good to be forced to do something different and it has paid off!