Peak Fitness

by Meghann on June 7, 2012

A couple of weeks ago Caroline did a call out on the Tampa Bay Lady Bloggers Facebook page looking for anyone interested in partnering with a local personal trainer who was offering online coaching/ personal training in exchange for writing a few blog posts on the experience. (p.s. if you’re in the Tampa Bay area and not a a follower of our Facebook page, you need to get on it – it’s a great community to be a part of!).

Ummm… online coaching? Accountability? Personal training? Someone pushing me to be the best I can be when it comes to lifting at the gym? I have a blog! Sign me up!

I told Caroline I was interested, then crossed my fingers and toes that I would be selected for the awesome opportunity. A couple of days later I got the golden ticket (email) I had been waiting for – Chris Kelly of Peak Fitness had reviewed my past fitness achievements and current fitness goals and was interested in working with me. Woo hoo!

557580_282533058487462_120481897_n.jpeg

Side note: I always get emails from readers or fellow bloggers asking how I get connected with some of the cool opportunities I experience through the blog. Well, that was it. It’s a lot of being at the right place at the right time while simultaneously crossing your fingers it works out. It’s also a lot of who you know, so get out there and network! Get involved with your community you’ll be surprised what comes your way. πŸ™‚

Chris started Peak Fitness in Lakeland with a mission to provide individuals who wish to train in a non-intimidating atmosphere a place where they can concentrate and work out without the usual distractions that are found in larger gyms. He does both online programs and personal/group training for athletes and strong women ranging from triathletes and soccer players to Miss American competitors. He recently opened a chapter of Peak Fitness at the Plaza Fitness center in downtown Tampa, and started an online fitness community called ModelFit. He has almost every certification known to man, has written for some pretty major publications (Men’s Health and Prevention to name a couple), and is just an all around great guy. (See more of his BIO here ).

Before we could move forward with creating a training program, Chris asked that I come in this morning for an assessment to check out my posture/gait/fitness levels and review my goals.

When I first met Chris, he was very welcoming and got straight to the point asking for my fitness background, any current goals I have, and where I believe I need improvement. I told him my history with running, my struggles with consistent strength training, and my goal this summer of training for a faster 5k time and my 70.3 in October. Oh, I also told him I wanted to look hot for my wedding in January. πŸ˜‰

He knew I was a runner and was very supportive of my goals, but wanted to make sure I wasn’t doing too many things in the name of “being fit.” This is something I struggle with – I love working out and if I’m not careful I will spend 2+ hours a day working out. He’s going to work with me on finding a healthy balance between my endurance junkie tendencies and strength training needs where I’m not overdoing it.

The assessment part was pretty fun. We did squats, toe touches, leg bends, push ups, dead lifts, etc. so he could gauge my current fitness levels. This really wasn’t a “full workout,” more like a series of tests, but I tend like that Chris explained everything we were doing and was happy to answer any questions I had a long the way.

Chris remarked that I’m stronger than I give myself credit for and he could tell I’ve been doing some strength training (as inconsistent as that training might be…). He also said my calves were “rock hard” and I had really strong quads thanks to running. However, I don’t have as much flexibility in my hips and he suggested we work on a few simple stretches before I run to correct that problem and hopefully aide in a stronger, faster stride.

I told Chris that I’m a plan girl – give me a plan and I’ll follow it. (I think that’s why I love training plans/ running so much). He said that’s great, because he’s a plan man and creating a good plan is his specialty. Bring it on.

I can’t wait to see where this go. I’ll be sure to check-in on the blog with this new adventure and fill you in on my thoughts of online coaching and whether this gives me some greater accountability (something that I’m hoping for).

if you’re curious about personal training/ online coaching, Chris literally coaches folks around the world thanks to the power of the internet. Check out his community on ModelFit to learn more!

Have you ever worked with a personal trainer or online coach?

I left Plaza Fitness and met my friend Diana for lunch in Ybor. We had a work from home/ coffee shop date for the afternoon.

I realized last night that I have been eating out way too much recently and decided to pre-pack my lunch this morning knowing I wouldn’t have time to head home between point A and point B.

The lunch maybe took 5 minutes to throw together this morning.

And totally worth saving a few bucks/ extra calories.

Let’s see, I had carrots/ cucumbers

Pita

Hummus

Best when eaten together

String cheese

and this packet of olives I got from a post-race snack box.

I wasn’t sure what to expect, but the olives were actually pretty tasty. I’d eat them again.

Have you tried the new Seagram’s sparkling seltzer waters? I’ve recently seen them pop up at Publix and last week bought 2 12-packs when they were on sale (I also had coupons). I’ve tried two flavors (the blackberry and white peach) and loved them both.

If you’re a sparkling water fan, I’d highly recommend them! πŸ™‚

1 Caroline Calcote June 7, 2012 at 3:16 pm

I’m so glad you got to hook up with Chris! I’m excited about the opportunity for all of us and to see where it takes us.
Caroline Calcote recently posted..Elementary School Graduation Day

2 Angie @ hairbyangie June 7, 2012 at 3:18 pm

omg i love sparkling water… those look GREAT! πŸ™‚ i’m glad to know that about stretching and getting a better stride… so good to know!! I’m going to try that πŸ™‚
Angie @ hairbyangie recently posted..He’s my favorite

3 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama June 7, 2012 at 3:22 pm

As someone who is in the fitness industry, I have to make plans and tell people what to do daily for workouts. I LOVE when someone tells me what to do! I perform better and really put in more effort, plus, I don’t have to think!
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..My Fitness Bucket List

4 Julia June 7, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Thanks for the sparkling water recommendation! I’ve been looking for something fun to take on my anniversary trip this weekend and just to have around the house in general.

5 JB June 7, 2012 at 3:38 pm

I’d be interested to see how this online coaching works out- intriguing concept, but I wonder how much you have to be self-motivated. I consistently work with a personal trainer one-on-one because he won’t let me slack off for any reason.

Also, I’ve seen you do this before and have to ask- isn’t it frowned upon to go to a coffee shop and use their space and wi-fi, but bring your own food? I wouldn’t do this, and I’m not trying to snark on you, I’m sincerely curious as to how this is received.

6 Meghann June 7, 2012 at 3:40 pm

I didn’t eat my lunch inside the coffee shop. I ate at a picnic table nearby, then headed to the coffee shop to work. I purchased an Earl Grey tea and made sure to tip generously (as I always do when I work at coffee shops πŸ™‚ )

7 JB June 7, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Meghann-

First, thanks for answering and not filtering like some bloggers do. I appreciate the response. I was curious bc I HAVE seen people bring food and eat it before and it’s always struck me as a little…eh. Cheers on the Earl Grey- my weapon of choice. πŸ™‚

JB

8 Cheryl June 7, 2012 at 3:49 pm

As someone who loves green olives… Olives as a post race goodie sounds like the best thing ever!!

9 Kristen @ notsodomesticated June 7, 2012 at 4:16 pm

I’ve never worked with a personal trainer, but I would love to if someone would train me for free haha! πŸ˜‰
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..A weekend devoid of nutrients.

10 Allison @ Running Through Red Lights June 7, 2012 at 4:24 pm

I was just looking at that sparkling water at the grocery store today. Sadly, I passed on it, but after your review I may just run back after work and grab some!

I’ve never worked with a personal trainer, but I would love to try it some time! I always seem to slack when it comes to strength training, and having someone to keep me accountable would definitely help!
Allison @ Running Through Red Lights recently posted..National Running Day 2012

11 Debbie B. June 7, 2012 at 4:24 pm

I am definitely putting the Seagram’s sparkling water on my grocery list.

12 Kelly June 7, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Me, too! Meghann, where did you find the coupon? Was it a newspaper insert? Bah!

13 Meghann June 7, 2012 at 6:55 pm

It was stuck on the box πŸ™‚

14 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats June 7, 2012 at 4:54 pm

He sounds pretty awesome! I have the same problem, I am starting training for my first marathon, but I want to keep up strength training too! It’s hard to do both!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

15 Gwen June 7, 2012 at 5:08 pm

I just saw those olives on Tina’s blog from her flight and wondered if they were good or not! Glad to hear they were worth trying again!
Gwen recently posted..Nice Day for a White Wedding

16 Hillary June 7, 2012 at 5:12 pm

If I had the $ for a personal trainer, I’d be all over it! What a cool opportunity.
Hillary recently posted..27

17 Emily June 7, 2012 at 8:12 pm

What kind of shoes are you wearing in the picture of you at the gym? I’m in the market for shoes for lifting & walking…but I only know how to buy running shoes! πŸ™‚
Emily recently posted..Well, hello

18 Meghann June 7, 2012 at 8:54 pm

they’re k-swiss tubes. I use them as crosstrainers, but I’m not sure if that’s what they’re supposed to be used for. πŸ™‚

19 Becky @ runfundone June 7, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Wow! That’s so fun about the personal trainer! I hope you learn a lot!!!
Becky @ runfundone recently posted..Running for a Cause

20 Faith @ For the Health of It June 7, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Oh wow – that was right next to where I went to school! Gotta love good old lakeland…

21 BroccoliHut June 7, 2012 at 9:51 pm

I just saw those olives the other day when I was visiting my parents–I think it was at Publix? I was wondering if they would be tasty or terrible, but I’m glad to see that they got your seal of approval πŸ™‚
BroccoliHut recently posted..Blah.

22 Sneakers2sandals June 7, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Hi that’s me!

I’ve taken my lunch to places before and eaten inside but I always order something. I didn’t realize it was such poor manners πŸ™ now I feel bad about all my years of doing it. I definitely won’t anymore.
Sneakers2sandals recently posted..Accomplishments

23 Sarah @ RunningChickago.com June 7, 2012 at 10:33 pm

ooh that’d be so fun to work with a personal trainer!
Sarah @ RunningChickago.com recently posted..Thirsty Thirty

24 Brittany June 8, 2012 at 5:09 am

Where did you get that lunch bag from? Its adorable!

25 Meghann June 8, 2012 at 9:17 am

It was a gift from my future mother-in-law. It’s Thirty-One brand.

26 Katie June 8, 2012 at 11:09 am

Aha, just got a sneak peek into what I’ll be doing with Chris next week when I go to see him! I’m really interested to see what he has to say/what kind of plan he’ll have for me. I’ve never worked with a personal trainer before…just dance trainers/instructors. Actually starting to work out at a gym with weights and equipment was really a big step for me a few years ago…I’m half expecting him to tell me that I’ve been doing it all wrong! πŸ˜‰
Katie recently posted..Tie dye with pops of white

27 Meghann June 8, 2012 at 11:11 am

haha – that’s what I was nervous about! He told me to do push-up and I was afraid he was going to tell me I have been doing them wrong this whole time, but he actually said mine weren’t bad and just gave a couple of pointers for next time.

28 Emily N June 8, 2012 at 12:50 pm

I spy a flying pig shirt!
Emily N recently posted..Challenges and No Running