Apron’s Simple Meals

by Meghann on June 5, 2012

One of my favorite parts about shopping at Publix is their Apron’s Simple Meals kiosk. If you’re lucky – and you plan you’re shopping trip right! – you’ll walk by the kiosk just as they’re serving the meal of the day. Probably the best sampling, marketing ploy there is. More often than not it’s delicious and sometimes, if the recipe is easy enough and the meal is extra tasty, you’ll find yourself grabbing a recipe card and loading your cart with all the necessary ingredients.

That’s exactly what happened to me today. I walked by the Apron’s Simple Meals kiosk just as they were serving their “fish over bacon with green olives.” It was 6:00pm, I had no idea what to make for dinner, and all the ingredients were right there. Sold!

IMG_4661.jpg

What really reeled me in was not only how tasty the dish was (it had bacon in it – how could it now be tasty?), but how simple the recipe appeared. Just a few simple ingredients and a promise of 15 minutes or less until meal time.

I cut the recipe in half (though I did keep the 4 slices of bacon πŸ˜‰ ), used regular vine tomatoes instead of cherry (they were cheaper), and diced my own red onion. The whole thing took 15 minutes top (with Derek’s dicing help) and was super easy to pull together.

I <3 quick meals!

The fish was just as delicious as the portion I sampled in the store. The salty olives and bacon really pair nicely with the mild fish. Yum!

I paired the fish with roasted asparagus

and boiled corn and red onion

A meal worth repeating!

Earlier I had some apple slices with chocolate PB2 as an afternoon snack.

And a couple of pieces of chocolate for dessert.

Have you ever tried an Apron’s Simple Meal at Publix? (or something similar at your local grocery store?)

1 Sana June 5, 2012 at 10:33 pm

I am a sucker for free samples! I buy it if I love it!
Sana recently posted..Ooops I Lost 10 Pounds

2 Jane June 5, 2012 at 11:15 pm

That fish looks seriously delicious!
Jane recently posted..Sister’s Shower.

3 Fallon June 6, 2012 at 12:11 am

Sigh those are the best recipes. I miss Publix for that very reason!!
Fallon recently posted..Coffee Ice Cream Dream Cake

4 Stephanie @ The Travelling Tastebuds June 6, 2012 at 12:17 am

Same thing happened to me several years ago at Trader Joe’s πŸ™‚ The recipe is for Stuffed Cornbread & I don’t mind one bit because it is easy… delicious & SUPER filling!

5 Meghann June 6, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Stuffed Cornbread? I would have taken that one home too!

6 Becky @ runfundone June 6, 2012 at 12:38 am

When I lived in a place where they had Publix (FL), I didn’t shop there! SOOO expensive! I spent the whole year pining after Trader Joe’s. I don’t think I’ve ever bought something after sampling it, but my husband does that all the time at Costco. He’s like a kid in the candy shop at Costco!
Becky @ runfundone recently posted..The Super Hero for Me…

7 Meghann June 6, 2012 at 3:47 pm

You thought Publix was expensive? I think it’s fairly competitive with their prices. I worked at Winn Dixie in college, and I’ll admit that their sale prices were pretty low, but it something wasn’t on sale I think it was even more than Publix prices. Of course, we don’t have a TJ’s around here (yet!!) to do regular shopping at. πŸ™‚

8 Becky @ runfundone June 6, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Lol, good point! Publix IS cheaper than Winn Dixie. This might terribly disgust you, but I did all my grocery shopping at Target during the year that I lived there! I was there for an internship where I got paid below minimum wage. Target food (which has some fresh produce) was all that I could afford!!!
Becky @ runfundone recently posted..National Running Day!

9 Kristen June 6, 2012 at 1:31 am

Can’t go wrong with bacon! Sounds yummy! I love quick meals…got home from bootcamp tonight and thankfully had enough food to pull together a modified thai chicken salad that I promptly shoved in my face.
Kristen recently posted..#35 Vote in a (primary) election

10 Kristen @ notsodomesticated June 6, 2012 at 7:05 am

I’ve taken their recipe cards before, but I don’t think I’ve ever actually made one of their recipes! I need to, though. And I’ve also taken one of their cooking classes. It was a class taught by two of the contestants from Top Chef. It was so much fun!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..A weekend devoid of nutrients.

11 Cait @ Beyond Bananas June 6, 2012 at 7:14 am

We don’t have Publix up north, but at ourStop and Shop – they have simple recipes at the front of the store. My mom used to make them, but I have never tried any of them! I do remember liking what my mom would make, though!
Cait @ Beyond Bananas recently posted..Greek Yogurt – All Day Every Day

12 CampingGirl June 6, 2012 at 7:27 am

My parents stay in Fort Lauderdale during the winter, my mom has been collecting those recipe pages for us and filling little binders with them. Now I know the real reason that they pick up the recipe πŸ™‚
CampingGirl recently posted..Day 2 Of Following "The Skinny Rules"

13 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope June 6, 2012 at 7:31 am

That fish looks delicious! πŸ™‚ I wish my supermarket had something like that! It’s really a good idea.
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Wedding Talk Wednesday: Wedding Beauty Ideas…

14 Emily N June 6, 2012 at 7:47 am

That would completely suck me in. I don’t know if they do that at Kroger or not, I apparently have not been there at the right time!
Emily N recently posted..A Skipped Run, and New Kicks

15 Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness June 6, 2012 at 8:26 am

That’s such a great idea to do that in a Grocery Store! I’ve never seen anything like that but it’s a great way to spread healthy recipes too! Your meal looks great!
Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness recently posted..WIAW and Wake up Call Smoothie

16 Kim @ Living, Laughing & Losing June 6, 2012 at 8:59 am

I LOVE Publix and that meal looks amazing! πŸ™‚
Kim @ Living, Laughing & Losing recently posted..Blah

17 Cait's Plate June 6, 2012 at 9:10 am

Love simple meals – you cannot beat anything that can be on the table in under 30 minutes! This looks delish!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Nose Stuck in the Books

18 Beka June 6, 2012 at 9:34 am

I work for Publix so it makes me super happy to see all the good comments πŸ™‚
Everytime I go myself, I swing by the Apron’s station and pick up the cards. I bought one of the binders to create the cookbook and it has grown quite nicely! Pretty much all of the meals have been tasty and easy. All the Apron’s recipes are on their website, too. (http://www.publix.com/aprons/Home.do)
Beka recently posted..Sweat Fest and Commitment

19 Amelia June 6, 2012 at 9:52 am

This looks so good! Thanks for posting the pic of the recipe. I think I need to try this one.
Amelia recently posted..Amelia: Run in the Streets

20 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City June 6, 2012 at 10:14 am

I’ve never tried it (Trader Joe’s sometimes does something similar) but it always looks so good. I’m glad your turned out!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..WIAW: Food Allergy Elimination Diet #1

21 Chef Mike Grimes June 6, 2012 at 11:04 am

Hi Meghann:

Chef Mike Grimes, Corporate Recipe Development Manager for Publix here… I’m so glad you enjoyed my recipe, and are such a big fan of our program. We have an entire department dedicated to bringing these Simple Meals to our customers. It’s very gratifying to have them enjoyed and shared! We have hundreds more recipes on our website http://www.publix.com/aprons/meals/SimpleMeals.do for your friends and followers who may not have a Publix in their area. We’ll keep the recipes coming, and you guys can keep “Bringing the Family Back to the Table.” Thanks again for you kind words and sharing our program!
– Chef Mike

22 BroccoliHut June 6, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Definitely passing this on to my parents–they do all their shopping at Publix! (I wish we had one here in Raleigh!)
BroccoliHut recently posted..Wedding Wednesday: Hair + Makeup