Photo A Day

by Meghann on June 1, 2012

Are you a salad dressing fan?

It depends for me. Sometimes I’m in the mood for something “lightly dressed”, sometimes I prefer to just fork it on the side (yes, I said “just fork it”), and other times I feel a salad doesn’t need it at all. Usually if there’s enough toppings (especially juicy toppings like fresh fruit or creamy toppings like avocado or soft cheese), I prefer to go without. At that point, dressing would just be cramping the toppings’ style. πŸ˜‰

I made a salad BEAST for lunch today. My goal was to use up every fresh vegetable we had in the fridge and I believe I may have taken that goal a bit too far. It was good (really, good), but there was far too much of it. I could only eat a little more than half before crying uncle.

Let’s look at the contents, shall we?

• Spinach
  • 1/2 large tomato
  • 1/2 cucumber
  • 1 medium sweet pepper
  • 1 mango
  • 1/2 avocado
  • 4 slices turkey
  • ~ 1/4 jalapeno cheese block
  • walnuts
  • salt & pepper

The fresh juicy mango and creamy avocado sorta mushed together and made any dressing completely unnecessary. All this baby needed was a little salt and pepper and it was good to go. πŸ™‚

Alright, who’s on Instagram? (If you are – follow me @ MealsAndMiles <– hollar!) I joined recently (maybe a month or two ago?) and I’ve already become a huge fan. I’ve discovered Instagram is more than just the ability to add cool filters to your photos (though that is a cool perk), it’s also an awesome community out there to connect and share with.

WhenI first joined Instagram, the hashtag #PhotoADay would constantly pop up in my friends’ photo stream. Each day #PhotoADay would be attached to a new challenge (such as “#yourviewtoday”) and a photo that met that challenge. I always thought it looked like a fun concept, so when I saw the link for the June challenges pop up, I knew I had to join!

photoadayjune-list-1.jpg

(source)

So, who’s with me? Who wants to get in the fun and take the #PHOTOADAYJUNE challenge with me?

1 Eva June 1, 2012 at 2:23 pm

yay, just decided to do photo of the day too!

and i just followed you on instagram. i’m @azulskies

2 Lindsey June 1, 2012 at 2:31 pm

I have been creating my own salad dressings with evoo, different vinegars, djion mustard, lemon/lime juice and honey, mix a couple of those together and you are good to go! I also like using mashed avocado and sea salt or hummus as a “dressing.
Lindsey recently posted..Foodie Friday

3 Annette @FitnessPerks June 1, 2012 at 3:27 pm

I also LOVE salad beasts and sometime forego the dressing. It totally depends on the toppings.

I don’t have a ‘cool’ phone right now, so no instragram for me. SOunds fun!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Greater Than That

4 Cait's Plate June 1, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Oooh I love this idea! I totally want to do it!

Also? That salad looks INCREDIBLE!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Salad-a-Day

5 Sandy June 1, 2012 at 3:58 pm

I am doing the June Photo a day on Instagram and I am now following you too!

6 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats June 1, 2012 at 4:18 pm

I haven’t really figure out instagram yet, other than taking pictures. But I might participate!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..June Goals

7 Dusty @ Running to Healthy June 1, 2012 at 5:13 pm

I just downloaded instagram maybe a week ago. But I am going to give it a try and participate.
Dusty @ Running to Healthy recently posted..Random Food Survey

8 Ash Bear June 1, 2012 at 6:25 pm

I’m going to do my best this month to not only run a mile each day but to participate in June Photo a Day! πŸ™‚ I just posted mine from this AM!
Ash Bear recently posted..The Fekkai Blow Out Bar

9 Carissa June 1, 2012 at 6:37 pm

I need salad dressing. Even with heavenly toppings I still like the moisture (gross word) of dressing!
Carissa recently posted..What I Learned from Pageants

10 Kristen @ notsodomesticated June 1, 2012 at 6:38 pm

I usually like some type of dressing, but I agree that it’s not always necessary. Your salad looks so good!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..One Panini, Two Panini, Three Panini, Four.

11 Niki @ justrunninwithit June 1, 2012 at 6:44 pm

That salad looks awesome! I don’t use a lot of dressing either, I find I don’t really need it if I have a lot of toppings!
Niki @ justrunninwithit recently posted..June Goals

12 Pam June 1, 2012 at 7:07 pm

I often don’t like dressings on my salads… Usually go without or oil and vinegar is what I choose!

13 Jessica June 1, 2012 at 7:11 pm

I started the photo a day challenge today, j_kro.

That salas looks AMAZING! I’m a vegetarian so I’d leave off the turkey but it looks yummy!

14 Maura @ My Healthy 'Ohana June 1, 2012 at 7:13 pm

I actually rarely put dressing on my salad, I like the greens just plain so I can taste the toppings and mix it with the rest of my meal if I want to. That salad looks great!!
Maura @ My Healthy ‘Ohana recently posted..Trader Joe’s Favorites – Part 2

15 Kailey June 1, 2012 at 8:23 pm

I wish I was on instagram but I have a blackberry and not an iPhone πŸ™ The photo a day seems like fun though!
Kailey recently posted..A Breakfast To Remember

16 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama June 1, 2012 at 9:00 pm

I LOVE Instagram! I think I have an addiction. I’m @happyfitmama. I missed today’s pic but I plan on picking it up tomorrow!
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Almost But Not Quite

17 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More June 2, 2012 at 11:49 pm

I started doing the #photoaday back in Feb. March, April and May I had a hard time keeping up with it but decided I wanted to give it another go in June – so I’m in!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..A Day of Nothing

18 Shica June 4, 2012 at 8:46 am

I just started the june photo challenge as well. I follow you….I am @sheeksheeks