more ยป" />

Re-Vamped

by Meghann on May 31, 2012

Good Morning!

Check out what I spotted at the gym this morning.

vendingmachine.jpg

A re-vamped vending machine filled with “healthy organic natural” food and water. The new vending machine replaced two more traditional machines that were full of your classic chips, candy, cookies, and soda. I thought those machines were always a little odd for a gym (especially when I noticed the summer camp kids fumbling with quarters for their 8am M&M fix), I mean, this is a gym after all. Sure, this new one still has some chip and cookie options, but not as many and they’re actually ingredient lists that I can somewhat stand behind. I like the variety of water on the bottom too. For some reason that makes me giggle. ๐Ÿ™‚

Well done YMCA. ๐Ÿ™‚

Does your gym have vending machines? What’s inside?

I started my gym workout this morning with some treadmill intervals. I followed a Tone It Up interval workout and toggled between 3 minutes at 7.5 and 2 minutes at 4.0 for a total of 30 minutes. I also started reading “The Art of Racing In the Rain” for book club. Seeing as the first chapter already had me tearing up, I know I’m in trouble with this book.

I followed the treadmill with Mary’s Jello Leg Workout. I really, really, enjoy this workout. It’s challenging, tiring, and my muscles feel fatigued by the end – it doesn’t get much better than that. I know Mary did the workout on a bosu ball last week, but I’m not sure I’m ready for that yet. Maybe next week.

We leave for Baltimore tomorrow, which means I’m trying to eat as much of our fresh fruit and vegetables until then.

This morning’s breakfast bowl was heavy on the fruit.

• 4 strawberries
  • 1/2 pineapple
  • 1 apple
  • vanilla Chobani
  • Kashi Go Lean Crisp
  • walnuts

Very refreshing. ๐Ÿ™‚ I could eat nothing, but fresh fruit all day and be a happy girl. ๐Ÿ™‚

Time to get to work!

1 Mackenzie @SusieFreakingHomemaker May 31, 2012 at 10:07 am

I love that vending machines are starting to switch over – how exciting!!

2 Dawn May 31, 2012 at 10:15 am

My company has a healthy vending machine and its the only one that will take a credit card. I’ve seen more people grab healthy snacks now than before…that may just be becasue of the whole credit card thing but…whatever works!

3 Meghann May 31, 2012 at 10:18 am

I’ve seen credit card vending machines at rest areas off the interstate – it’s crazy how much more convenient and how much more likely I am to buy because of that.

4 Margo May 31, 2012 at 10:19 am

My gym has a cafe but no vending machines. The train station by my apartment put in a healthy vending machine about a year ago. I think it’s a great option for commuters! They also just installed a clothing vending machine. I’ve never seen anyone use that though!

5 Hillary May 31, 2012 at 10:28 am

My gym has a vending machine with water, Gatorade, and some protein bars and shakes. No chips or M&Ms though!

6 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City May 31, 2012 at 10:31 am

I used to work at a day camp and we used a high school pool for swim. There was a vending machine outside the pool locker rooms and you couldn’t imagine how many kids begged us for a pepsi or gatorade (we had a strict no vending machine policy). Parents would even send money in with their 6 year old daughters to buy drinks. I couldn’t believe it.
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Thursday Link Love

7 Cait's Plate May 31, 2012 at 10:45 am

We have a vending machine but just for drinks – mostly powerades, gatorades and waters!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Better Together

8 Danielle @ Long May You Run May 31, 2012 at 11:31 am

Once you get past the first few chapters of Art of Racing in the Rain, it gets a little easier to read. Though I can sympathize- it took me almost a year after I lost my cat to be able to read that book (but you won’t cry as much as Marley and Me!)
Danielle @ Long May You Run recently posted..What’s the deal with bricks?

9 Jamie May 31, 2012 at 11:38 am

Meghann… do you read while on the treadmilll? If you do, that’s an amazing skill ๐Ÿ™‚
Jamie recently posted..Memorial Day Duo: Homemade Pita Chips and Guacamole

10 Meghann May 31, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Haha, I’ll have to add that one to my resume then. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I do, but I read very slowly on the treadmill – it takes a little longer to get through when you’re moving.

11 Alex @ therunwithin May 31, 2012 at 11:50 am

oh my goodness pop chips in the vending machine, that would by my heaven. way to go ymca!
Alex @ therunwithin recently posted..Hop Skip and a Jump

12 Annette @FitnessPerks May 31, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Love the re-vamped vending machine! nice work. It’s better than nothing, that’s for sure (or better than the crap of sugar stuff they call ‘food’) .Hah.

Nice work on the workout–I love doing a good interval workout!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Heart Pumpinโ€™ Workout

13 Meagan @ Managing Meagan May 31, 2012 at 12:28 pm

No vending machine at my gym, but they do sell granola bars, water, and a few other health-type foods. I wish the vending machine at work was re-vamped liked your gym one!!!
Meagan @ Managing Meagan recently posted..Support System: I’m one lucky girl

14 Courtney May 31, 2012 at 12:37 pm

I go to a local Y as well, but we don’t have any vending machines. We do have water bottles for “sale.” It’s all based on the honor system, so it’s just a mini fridge with a collection box on top. They request $1 per bottle, but it’s up to you and your gut to decide what to pay.
Courtney recently posted..The Countdown Is On!

15 SpaceySteph May 31, 2012 at 12:51 pm

I think that’s really awesome that your gym did that. When doing shift work, sometimes I can be at work for 9 hours in the middle of the night without the ability to leave for food (and where would I go if I did leave at 3am on a Tuesday?). I usually bring a lunch, as do most others, but sometimes you forget or are extra snacky or have to call in a backup who did not intend to come in and didn’t have a lunch to bring… well anyways, sometimes you find yourself there at 3am and the only options are cookies, chips, and candy.
I’m sending a link to this site to the suggestions box. Maybe they’ll start stocking healthier options too!
SpaceySteph recently posted..Disneyland Half Week 1

16 Maren May 31, 2012 at 12:52 pm

I love that vending machine. I wish every one was like that… except a line of skittles would be okay.

It seems like everyone is enjoying tons of fruit this morning. All my favorite blogs have had a boat load. I even put a full 1/2 cup of blueberries in my oats this morning.
Maren recently posted..Vanilla Blueberry Cinnamon Oatmeal

17 Brittney May 31, 2012 at 1:18 pm

My YMCA has a vending machine like that as well. It has pretty much all of the same options as yours except for there’s also a row with Annie’s crackers, white cheddar popcorn, and a mix of protein bars. It’s awesome! There is also a cafe where you can get smoothies, salads, and they always have one healthy dish that they prepare as well.

18 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats May 31, 2012 at 1:23 pm

I love that your gym did that! Awesome! My gym literally only has a sports drink vending machine, not even water! It’s a vending machine made by one specific brand, I think Gatorade, so it’s only Gatorade inside…

19 Stefanie May 31, 2012 at 1:48 pm

That book is really good. It is said at times but is a good read.

20 Rhiannon May 31, 2012 at 2:02 pm

my gym’s pretty awesome as far as vending machines go – not a chocolate bar in site!
We have one which has heaps of different protein shakes, protein bars, and health drinks in and then one which has water and powerade. A lot better than my old gym! ๐Ÿ™‚

Rhiannon xx
Rhiannon recently posted..The Ultimate Guilt-Free Treat!

21 Elizabeth May 31, 2012 at 2:09 pm

That makes me so happy!! I am a student and this past year I was helping one of my graduate friends with her thesis and we did it all on vending machines. The data was so interesting!! At Ohio State we have pretty good vending machines, the whole machine is filled with healthy snacks, and the last two bottom rows have the chips and candy bars. But this machine that you found is much much much better!!
Elizabeth recently posted..Sad and Busy

22 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness May 31, 2012 at 2:12 pm

I love pineapple! It is one of my favorite fruits…but I am kind of like you and could eat fruit everyday and be happy. ๐Ÿ™‚

23 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama May 31, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Way to go YMCA! It’s about time. My last gym that I was a member of did not have any vending machines. They did have a front desk area that sold smoothies, yogurt, trail mix, etc. No soda. Isn’t it a little ironic to have junk food at a gym?
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..May Foodie Penpals Reveal

24 Sarah @ RunningChickago.com May 31, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Now that’s a vending machine ๐Ÿ™‚
Sarah @ RunningChickago.com recently posted..โ€œSometimes the stars donโ€™t line upโ€

25 Emily N May 31, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Nice vending machine. I tried popchips for the first time over the weekend and LOVE!
Emily N recently posted..More from Chicago

26 Laura May 31, 2012 at 7:18 pm

My gym definitely doesn’t have healthier snacks in their vending machines. I don’t get it, but I don’t really care either way since I don’t buy snacks there. It would be nice for more gyms to make that change though.

I cried at the beginning of The Art of Racing in the Rain too, but it gets better. There are definitely some tearjerker chapters within and at the end, but most of it shouldn’t make you cry. It will, however, make you want to snuggle your dog. ๐Ÿ™‚

27 Shayne May 31, 2012 at 9:31 pm

Im not sure what you have planned for your trip in Baltimore, but I would def recommend One World Cafe and Paper Moon of you are looking for good food. They have very “meghann” meals. I absolutely love them both and they are really afforable for college kids like me. Have fun in bmore.

28 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More May 31, 2012 at 11:32 pm

My gym has vending machines but they’re unplugged or at least don’t work and I’m pretty sure all the food inside has been in there for years…gross.
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..More Motivation / Keep Reading

29 Kelsey June 5, 2012 at 3:34 pm

What a good idea. I always thought it was weird that gym vending machines offered chips/candy.