more ยป" />

A Marathon Anniversary

by Meghann on May 31, 2012

I almost missed something important today. i was watching my twitter feed come through, when I noticed the @RunRockNRoll twitter handle was tweeting pretty heavily (something they only seem to do when a race is happening), when I looked closer I noticed they were using the #RNRSD hashtag. RNRSD = Rock ‘n’ Roll San Diego Marathon = the San Diego Marathon is happening THIS weekend.

Screen shot 2012-05-31 at 10.14.40 PM.png

(hehe – that tweet made me laugh ๐Ÿ™‚ )

Back in 2009 (on this very day), San Diego was my first marathon. Crazy to think that was 3 years ago, even crazier to think that I’ve done 6 more since then (If you would have told me around mile 20-something that I would go on to run 6 more marathons within 3 years, I would have said you were crazy).

DSCN1089.JPG

I think people forget that, I wasn’t always a marathon runner. When I started this blog I didn’t know what a tech tee was, I ran in $25 “running shoes” that I bought on special from Sears, didn’t own a stop watch, and was training for my first 15k. I knew NOTHING about running besides the fact that putting one foot in front of the other would get me from point A to point B. I just ran. (You can read more about my running journey HERE).

CIMG1847.JPG

I registered for my first marathon not even a month after I finished my first half marathon. The idea that I could even complete such a task first entered my mind when I volunteered at a Disney Marathon race, then an information session with Team in Training put me over the edge. I figured, why not?

DSCN1065.JPG

Training with Team in Training for my first marathon was quite an experience. Since I was still fairly new to the Orlando area – and didn’t know anyone else training for a marathon at the same time – having a team to meet and run with was invaluable. I made great friends that helped push and inspire me when I needed it the most. Raising the funds was actually the hardest part of the whole process, but I had you guys and you were amazing at helping me reach my goal with online bake sales and overall amazing generosity and support. YOU were a big part of TNT team!

DSCN1097.JPG

There’s something special about training for your first marathon that no other marathon can quite replicate. For me, there wasn’t any pressure for time goals yet, just the satisfaction of building endurance and reaching a new PDR week after week. Running 16, 18, or 20 miles for the first time is an adrendaline rush and knowing you can do that really has you starting to believe that you can run a full marathon too.

DSCN1118.JPG

My first marathon will always be special. It was the race that Derek flew across the country to see me run (I didn’t prompt him on this – and we weren’t even officially dating at the time – so I knew he was going to be a keeper), it was the first race I ran with my friend Bobbi (we went on to run Chicago together in 2010), and it was the first time I ran more than 20 miles and lived to tell the tale.

Crossing that finish line was one of the most exciting and painful moments of my life (here’s a secret – the pain doesn’t go away when you stop running… it gets worse), but luckily the exciting parts outweighed the painful ones, otherwise I wouldn’t have kept signing up for these things. I believe that first finish was the moment my fate was sealed as a marathon addict. I had to go back for more!

DSCN1176.JPG

So heres to three incredible years of marathon running and the dream of many, many more still to come. Thank you San Diego for firing the fuel of my marathon running love. ๐Ÿ™‚

And a big GOOD LUCK to all the San Diego runners this weekend! Have a great race and just enjoy the ride. ๐Ÿ™‚

Alright, enough mushy stuff – on to the food!

Afternoon snack: toasted frozen waffle (from Sunday’s breakfast) with honey peanut butter, raisins, and chocolate chips (this was good!)

Dinner: Chickpeas and Dumplings

Great meal to use up all the veggies in the fridge. Tonight I went with carrots, broccoli, zucchini, mushrooms, and corn. And I’m out of AP flour, so it was just whole wheat for the “dumplings”

Dessert: Chocolate Vita Top with Moosetracks Ice Cream

Yum.

Three years ago I was running a marathon, tonight I’m in my jammies watching tv. ๐Ÿ™‚

Good night!

1 Christine Rode May 31, 2012 at 11:07 pm

San Diego was my first marathon in 2010 and I raised $6000 for TNT. It was a blast! I did the Dublin marathon in 2011 with TNT again and raised about $5000. What a great experience.

2 Margo May 31, 2012 at 11:15 pm

San Diego was my first marathon too (though in 2008)! I hadn’t heard of TNT until that race, but I was certainly impressed with their presence and commitment at that race. My now husband and I had just started dating too. Though he did not make the journey out there, so major points to Derek!
Margo recently posted..Walk of Shame

3 Lena @Fit on the Rocks May 31, 2012 at 11:39 pm

Way to go, rockstar! I’m actually housing Bobbi next month for a conference here in Denver. Small world!
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..The Color Run Recap

4 Part Time House Wife June 1, 2012 at 2:38 am

I love the nostalgic recap!! I’m still to chicken to sign up for a full marathon. I wish I had runner friends to train with, I think that would make such a difference.
Part Time House Wife recently posted..May Foodie Pen Pal Reveal!

5 Kristen @ notsodomesticated June 1, 2012 at 6:28 am

Awesome motivation! I’ve only done halfs so far, but one day I hope to complete a full! ๐Ÿ™‚
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..One Panini, Two Panini, Three Panini, Four.

6 Hillary June 1, 2012 at 7:15 am

Sounds like our running stories started out very, very similar! Congrats on such a huge run of milestones; I’m still trying to decide whether I ever want to run more than a half marathon, but reading things like this makes me lean heavily towards the “YES!” side!
Hillary recently posted..A Blogiversary Treat

7 Julie @ Wearing Mascara June 1, 2012 at 7:35 am

Geez your anniversary post made me tear up just as much as a race recap. Lol! Congrats on three years! Here’s to many more!
Julie @ Wearing Mascara recently posted..What I want vs. what I’m doing

8 Emily N June 1, 2012 at 8:22 am

Happy Marathonaversary! I think that spelling makes sense. I thought about TNT for a while when I was first considering running one, but then I don’t think I would have ended up with the Pig, and that was such a special experience. My hometown and all.. ๐Ÿ™‚
Emily N recently posted..More from Chicago

9 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats June 1, 2012 at 8:47 am

This was the perfect post for me, my training for my first marathon starts next week and I’m so excited!!! Haha I actually signed up before running my first half!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..June Goals

10 Sarah @ RunningChickago.com June 1, 2012 at 9:22 am

happy anniversary! ๐Ÿ™‚ this summer will be my second summer as a more “serious” runner, and third summer where i’ve run over 2 miles!
Sarah @ RunningChickago.com recently posted..โ€œSometimes the stars donโ€™t line upโ€

11 Cait's Plate June 1, 2012 at 10:25 am

Oooh I love the raisin addition on the pb/chocolate chip waffle! I definitely want to try that!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Sunflower Morning

12 Rachel June 1, 2012 at 11:02 am

I ran my first 5K in March and am I little hooked on races now. So after researching running clubs and finding a half during the time I wanted; I have settled on which club to train with and will be running my first half in the DFW area Feb 2013! I’m a cyclist at heart but there is something about mentally and physically pushing myself that only running can do! Here’s to hoping I run 6 fulls in three years! Happy Runniversary!

13 Tori @ In Love and Peanut Butter June 1, 2012 at 11:05 am

I ran with TNT for my first Half Marathon (Nike Womens Half in San Fran) a few years back too. Having a coach and a team to train for your first distance event certainly makes it a lot less intimidating.
Tori @ In Love and Peanut Butter recently posted..Swim with the Mad Dogs

14 Lauren June 1, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Hi Meghann! I;ve been reading your blog forever but this is the first time I’ve commented. RnR San Diego 2009 was my first marathon too! And I did it with Team in Training in Fort Lauderdale. Great experience, great cause, and great awareness.

Thanks for being so inspiring!

15 Katie June 3, 2012 at 8:18 pm

My first half marathon is in two weeks and I am currently debating whether to wait until next summer to do a full, or to keep going with my training and do a full this fall!
Katie recently posted..Full Speed Ahead? Or Check Engine?

16 Kelsey June 5, 2012 at 3:33 pm

What an awesome flashback! I just did a 10k and if you had told me I would do that 5 years ago, I would have laughed!