Summer Camp

by Meghann on May 30, 2012

Talk about a great morning for a run. Sure, it was hot, sticky, and – you know – Florida at the end of May, but it was also quiet, peaceful, and my mind was just in it. I like this whole no-pressure-run thing. πŸ™‚

Unfortunately, I experienced my first hiccup with my MOTOACTV watch at mile 2.96 (I know it was mile 2.96 exactly because that’s what my watch read for the next mile). For some reason it stopped tracking my distance (or route on the map), but the timer kept going. I still had a mini satellite on the top bar, so I know it still had GPS signal (I think?), but I’m not sure what happened. It also wouldn’t let me power the watch completely down to restart it and moving from screen to screen felt like there was a bit of a delay. Odd. I’m going to google to see if there’s another way to reboot it or my plan B is to just let the battery die out on it’s own and force a restart that way. We’ll see.

I finished my morning workout with Tone it Up’s “Goddess Workout” I’m not sure I was a fan of this workout. They tried to give it a yoga influence, but in the end I think I would just rather do yoga.

Post-workout smoothie

In the mix:

• 1 mango
  • 1 tablespoon honey peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup plain chobani
  • 1/4 cup rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 teaspoon chia seeds
  • ice

IMG_4195.jpg

I really enjoy the mango + peanut butter combo, they complement each other nicely.

I had some cinnamon pita chips on the side.

I just picked these up at the local health store yesterday (the damn sample display won me over!). I like how they’re not overly sweet and have a bit of a grainy texture to them.

IMG_4189.jpg

Adult Summer Camp

My friend posted this on his Facebook the other day and it made me laugh.

Screen shot 2012-05-30 at 10.15.51 AM.png

Sign me up!

When I was a kid, summer camps were essentially adventures our parents would send us on to learn something new. However, we were so busy having fun, that we forgot we were learning anything. They were a nice little escape from parents and reality, and a chance to make new friends.

In middle school I attended a Sea World summer camp that took us from Orlando to the Keys. We slept at Sea World one night (with the manatees – very cool), then took a big bus down to the keys where we stayed for a week snorkeling and learning about marine life. In high school I attended a summer camp in Pennsylvania where we spent the week learning to kayak (once upon a time I could do a full roll) and scuba dive (by the end of camp I had earned my certification). I also attended summer cheer camps with my cheerleading squad at the local universities and was a coach for the one our own squad led for the younger kids in the area.

If I were to attend a summer camp now, I would love for it to go along the same themes. Maybe taking a week somewhere for “Triathlon Camp” wouldn’t that be fun? 7 days of training followed by arts and crafts, dance parties, and “bug juice”? πŸ˜‰ Or even an art camp! I would love to just go somewhere and sketch again. Of course, “Spa Camp” would be good too. πŸ˜‰

Did you attend summer camps when you were a kid? If you were to design an adult summer camp, what would you have it be?

1 Dori May 30, 2012 at 11:16 am

The exact same thing happened to me the first time I use my Nike+ GPS! Luckily it never happened again after I did a factory reset. As for camps, I am a Jewish girl from Northeast Queens, so I stereotypically went to day camp on Long Island. I went to that Jewish day camp (Beth Sholom Day Camp/BSDC) my entire life. My mom always asked if I wanted to go to sleepaway and I always said no. I regret that now, although I know I was worried about my big hair without a blow dryer and also about feeling left out. I worked at that camp for a year and then worked for about 5 years at another (VERY expensive) Long Island day camp (Shibley), which was a really fun working experience. I loved it there!
Dori recently posted..UAE Healthy Kidney 10K Race Recap: My Brain During a Race

2 Lindsey May 30, 2012 at 11:17 am

Loved summer camp! I went from the time I was 7-8 until I was 17. Usually they were church camps but we still did all the fun activities, canoeing, archery, swimming, games, camp fire and more. I went usually 1-2 weeks every summer.
Lindsey recently posted..Bedtime Yoga

3 Faith @ For the Health of It May 30, 2012 at 11:25 am

When I taught for the housing authority, we extended our hours for the summer and did a full time camp-like shpeal for the kids. SO much fun! We did seaworld, busch gardens, local parks and tons of other awesomeness – it was a blast to be a part of. I’d totally sign up for an adult summer camp!

4 Jessica May 30, 2012 at 11:28 am

I went to lots of local sports camps growing up. Cheerleading, volleyball, basketball & tennis. I never went away to a summer camp. I was too busy playing sports year round I guess!
Jessica recently posted..Get Push Notifications on Your iPhone and iPad

5 Jessie May 30, 2012 at 11:29 am

How funny that you posted this- I JUST googled my old sleep-away summer camp this morning! It looks like nothing has changed! I attended as a camper (one or two weeks each year) for 5 years and then went back at a Counselor-in-Training for one summer (one month). I regret not going back as a counselor (17 year old me couldn’t bear to leave my friends for a whole summer). It was your typical summer camp experience- cabins, group meals, swimming in the lake, canoeing, LOTS of activities and camp fires. I loved it! I still remember the silly camp songs…

Adult summer camp sounds wonderful! I love camping with my friends now in our mid (to late…) twenties. Getting in some more kid fun before we have kids of our own!

6 Rachel Wilkerson May 30, 2012 at 11:38 am

I LOVED summer camp and would absolutely love to go back now! I’d want to do a traditional summer camp with lots of activities, but also, I think they should make Space Camp for adults. How badly did you want to go to Space Camp after it was the prize on every Nickelodeon game show?! I’d so go now.
Rachel Wilkerson recently posted..{living in sin} Getting New Tail

7 Lindsay May 30, 2012 at 11:42 am

It’s funny that you bring up adult camps. I live in the NJ/NY area and there are actually a few adult “summer camp” locations not too far away. I’ve seen livingsocial deals for one and found out about another through a friend. You pick a weekend that you want to go, stay in a cabin and have access to a ton of outdoor activities, buffets and booze. It sounds awesome!

8 Megan May 30, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Lindsay, I was JUST thinking that! I live in NYC, and I’ve always been intrigued by those camps. Never been though. Have you?

9 Lindsay May 30, 2012 at 2:56 pm

I have not but would love to!

10 Lena @Fit on the Rocks May 30, 2012 at 11:48 am

haha adult summer camps would definitely be…interesting. It makes me think of the movie Couple’s Retreat πŸ˜›
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Portlandia

11 Christine May 30, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I went to Youth Sports Camp (local week long day camp for elementary schoolers) when I was a kid, we got to try 2 different sports each day, one in the morning and one in the afternoon and our counselors were high school kids that volunteered. Then in high school I was a counselor at the camp, which was very cool to come full circle with the camp!

12 Allison May 30, 2012 at 12:11 pm

I’m going to try that smoothie out but without milk! Looks delicious! I only went to cheer camp, which was a blast because we stayed in college dorms. As a high schooler that was awesome. It was fun though!

13 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More May 30, 2012 at 12:14 pm

I went to a horse back riding summer camp one year – that didn’t go over so well. My friends got super home sick and that ended up making me super home sick and we spent the week crying…

I also went to girl scout camp as a kid which was fun! πŸ™‚
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Foodie for a Day / FitMixer BootCamp style

14 Laura is Undeterrable May 30, 2012 at 12:21 pm

I never did a sleep away camp. All of the camps I did were 3-5 days in length where we learned things all day. Mostly it was figure skating camps at the rink all day. Glorified babysitting πŸ™‚
Laura is Undeterrable recently posted..Bloggy Birthday

15 Dana May 30, 2012 at 1:02 pm

The local all-women’s tri club here in Boston (that I’ve been thinking about joining, but haven’t found the courage) does do a tri camp. It’s a long weekend in Vermont or New Hampshire I think and the ad said they train and there’s some lectures and there’s campfires… sounds like the perfect adult summer camp!

16 Meghann May 30, 2012 at 2:19 pm

That sounds amazing!! Can I come? πŸ˜‰

17 Rae May 30, 2012 at 3:18 pm

There are TONS of tri camps everywhere….you just have to google. I’ve gone to Lake Placid for the last few years for a long weekend tri camp…SBR eat repeat repeat…so fun!! I know there are alot in Clermont FL….moreso in Feb/March though.
Rae recently posted..Buffalo Marathon Race Report: "Gun"ning for the Run

18 Leah May 30, 2012 at 2:53 pm

There’s a tri club in Boston? Does it accept total newbies like me who have never done a tri and are borderline too scared to even register? Googling!!
Leah recently posted..Running with knee issues

19 melissa May 30, 2012 at 3:01 pm

and YES! I was a tri noob when I joined – it took me quite awhile to get up the confidence to do my first. but they are really supportive of all levels – there are a LOT of first timers!

20 melissa May 30, 2012 at 3:00 pm

hey there! I was on this team a few years ago and came here to post about our tri camp! I went to the camp and it was a lot of fun. You bring your bike, we have exclusive use of the local Y’s pool for training (there was underwater video analysis of our stroke) – you share a condo with a few other teammates. There’s great camraderie and also some great run/bike clinics and training (helloooo, Kancamagus highway!) I highly recommend it!

21 Grace May 30, 2012 at 1:14 pm

I never attended summer camp because I was always going to visit family, so an adult summer camps sounds right up my alley!
Grace recently posted..Random Travels: From Ludington to Clarksville

22 Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 30, 2012 at 1:43 pm

That smoothie looks and sounds delicious! I never thought of having peanut butter with mango, but I also never thought of sweet potato + peanut butter and now I’m a fan! πŸ™‚
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Chicken Pesto Personal Pizza

23 Elisabeth May 30, 2012 at 1:59 pm

I never went to sleep away camp (although, my adult cousins lived about 3 hours away on a lake in Michigan & my other cousins & I always spent a couple weeks there every summer…doing the same sort of stuff you do at camp πŸ˜‰ ), but I did go to YMCA day camp a couple of years. It lasted a week & then on Thursday night, we had a camp out overnight complete with dinner on the fire, etc. Adult camp would be pretty fun, but something even better I wish they would have as an adult…adult summer reading program at the library! I was always so psyched for that to start in the summer as a kid. I think some libraries already have one for adults, but I live in a rural area with a smaller library πŸ˜‰

24 Sana May 30, 2012 at 2:02 pm

I think I would have cried if my parents sent me off to camp. Even as an adult…
Sana recently posted..What Makes You Refreshingly Different? {GIVEAWAY}

25 Cait's Plate May 30, 2012 at 2:10 pm

I did one summer of summer camp but there were tons of kids in my neighborhood so growing up there was like a built-in summer camp!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Breakfast Comes Sooner

26 Emily N May 30, 2012 at 2:21 pm

I am IN for summer camp.
Emily N recently posted..A Little Crosstraining is Good for the Soul

27 Leah May 30, 2012 at 2:56 pm

The first time I went to sleep-away camp was in high school, and I had a blast. Not many kids from my town went away to camp, though, so it wasn’t really a “thing” for us. I always did rec camps in town and learned how to play tennis and improve in softball (ha!), though. Mostly I felt like I had to do summer reading. Anyone else?
Leah recently posted..Running with knee issues

28 Annette @FitnessPerks May 30, 2012 at 3:12 pm

That’s why I don’t use tracking devices…hehe πŸ˜‰
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..It’s Okay To Eat Weird Combos

29 Maura @ My Healthy 'Ohana May 30, 2012 at 3:15 pm

I wouldn’t have thought of the mango and PB combo, will have to try it!

I’ve never been to summer camp, but how fun would that adult one be? ?
Maura @ My Healthy ‘Ohana recently posted..Hawaiian Favorite – Spam Musubi

30 Ari @ Ari's Menu May 30, 2012 at 3:43 pm

I LOVE summer camp! I went to theatre camp for years as a kid, and now I’m lucky enough to direct and choreograph at one in the summer, so I kinda get my adult summer camp! πŸ™‚

31 LizP May 30, 2012 at 4:03 pm

I went to surf camp 3 years ago in Costa Rica. It was all adults and an awesome experience. We had surf lessons twice a day, yoga, massages, photos of us surfing, breakfast and dinner were included, went atving, snorkeling, and ziplining! It was a blast!

32 Army Amy* May 30, 2012 at 6:10 pm

I’m not much of a camp person – it’s way stressful for this wallflower. The only camps I attended were volleyball camps and usually I went with a friend or group. The last camp I attended, I went alone and it was so miserable. I was able to totally focus on volleyball though and my skills improved a lot.*
Army Amy* recently posted..Taking on a Challenge or Two

33 Hillary May 30, 2012 at 6:21 pm

I LOVED summer camp as a kid. I went to this awesome waterfront camp for two years—we sailed, kayaked, water skied, swam. It was so much fun, and I would go back in a heartbeat!
Hillary recently posted..A Blogiversary Treat

34 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats May 30, 2012 at 6:30 pm

I went to an all girls summer camp for a month every summer for 7 years and I LOVED it! That’s how I learned to sail, and where I did a lot of learning about myself. I got to be a counselor one summer, but I wish I could have just been a counselor forever! I loved that job.
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..WIAW–First Day of Internship!

35 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy May 30, 2012 at 7:18 pm

I used to attend a day camp when I was little, at our community center, and now I’m working at a summer camp! I worked at a summer camp for four summers in college, and this summer I am working at one again, at a private school. I’m so excited because it’s always so much fun!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Ready or Not, Here We Go

36 Katie May 30, 2012 at 7:29 pm

I swear I was a professional “camper” when I was younger! A few of the camps I went to actually have family camp options that I fully intend to participate in when I have kids!
Katie recently posted..Accomplished and Working Towards…

37 Nadine May 30, 2012 at 10:03 pm

I did the same Sea World camp! Stayed on Pigeon Key, dissected squid, and went snorkeling- those were the days πŸ™‚

38 Jenkins summer camp May 30, 2012 at 11:56 pm

Jenkins summer camp has filled its capacity for camp counselors. We still have some spots for bartenders, fitness instructors, designated drivers, and archery coaches. Competitive salaries available.

39 Eric Szvoboda March 6, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Wow that looks amazing! There are also some day camps at Laurel Hill School that are for younger kids if you want to get away with a spouse for a day! They really have enjoyed the camps and have come back with something to show!