more ยป" />

The Long Pool

by Meghann on May 29, 2012

We had a little change up in the swim schedule this week. Not only do we have new start times (Tuesdays and Fridays AM, Wednesdays PM), but we have a new pool.

Say hello to the elusive 50 meter pool.

(aka the “long” pool)

Typically pools are set up to be 25 yards in length, this means more turns, more rests, and less time to really concentrate on your stroke. I’ve only ever trained in 25 yard pools in the past and was honestly looking forward to the longer lengths. I figured less turns and less amount of laps couldn’t be a bad thing.

My coach had us do a 400 warm-up at easy pace. 400 meters = 4 laps… that sounds a whole lot better than the usual 8! However, as soon as I took off for my first couple of laps, I could feel the difference. The end felt far and I was tiring faster than normal. My coach warned us that our times would be a little bit slower at first in the longer set-up, but we would adapt. He was right. The deeper we got in the workout, the easier the 50 meter set-up became and I actually began to enjoy it.

We did a lot of paddle work today (ow!) and I’m learning to kick with straighter legs. No floppy frog legs! My flip turns are getting better, but I think doing less of them helps. If the longer pool means less flip turns, then I’ll take it. ๐Ÿ˜‰

After we killed our arms and legs, Coach finished us off with a crazy set that took any energy I had left and threw it to the ground. 100 meters hard followed by a hard run around the pool x 3 (with no rests!). It burned! It burned! There’s something about swimming a lap, getting out of the pool, running a lap on the outside of the pool, and jumping back in before doing it all over again that really takes it out of you. By the third set I’m not sure how much “hard” swimming I was actually doing, it was just about survival. I finished that last set out of breath and ready to go tackle the day. No better way to start the morning. ๐Ÿ™‚

We finished up and I headed home to shower and eat.

In the bowl:

• 1/2 cup Kashi H2H Cereal
  • 1/2 cup Quaker Oatmeal Squares
  • Plain Chobani
  • mango
  • walnuts

The mangoes are really getting ripe. The one I had this morning was extra mushy and juicy, which seemed to work well with the yogurt/ cereal mix. ๐Ÿ™‚

What are your thoughts on the 25 meter pool versus 50 meters? Which one do you prefer?

1 Kristina May 29, 2012 at 9:55 am

I love the 50-meter pool! Now that it’s summer, I’ll be able to get most of my swims in that pool, and I’m looking forward to it. I like less turns, less counting. I feel that I always lose count when I’m doing laps in the 25-meter pool.
Kristina recently posted..The annual camping trip – 2012 version

2 Meghann May 29, 2012 at 10:02 am

That is a good point – I did find it easier to count laps in the longer pool!

3 Annette @FitnessPerks May 29, 2012 at 10:02 am

I LOVE the longer length!! 50 meters all the way baby!! It makes swimming so much more fun I think. Even if it may seem harder, I like it WAY more!

4 Nikki May 29, 2012 at 10:22 am

As much as I love being outside, I really don’t like swimming in a LCM (long course meters) pool. I LOVE the strength I get off of my walls. I am used to swimming in a 25 YARD pool. Most pools around here are yards. The difference between a 25 yard and 50 meter pool is tough! The only time I like LCM is if the sets are shorter. Once you start working longer stuff in, it’s like death to me! Glad you enjoy it though ๐Ÿ™‚ And I am jealous about the sunshine. We have very few outdoor pools around me in PA!

5 Meghann May 29, 2012 at 10:28 am

You’re right – I just looked up the pool stats online and the other pool is 25 YARDS. As a very beginning swimmer, it starts to get confusing with meters versus yards, as it feels like everyone uses the terms interchangeably when referring to workouts, or maybe that’s just what it sounds like on my end.

6 Nikki May 29, 2012 at 11:08 am

It’s not just a beginner thing! I still get confused between meters and yards! I did a workout the other day that I found online, and it seemed super easy, so I went back to the page. Turns out the guy did it in meters. That would have made it SO much harder!
Nikki recently posted..Take it to the Park

7 Victoria (District Chocoholic) May 29, 2012 at 10:27 am

Arg I hate long course because I have awesome turns thanks to 4 years of (short course) college swimming and super strong legs. People who I decimate in the pool when it is short course are so much faster than me in long course. Not awesome.
Victoria (District Chocoholic) recently posted..Bruno’s Chocolate Creations: Nutty Pieces

8 Steph May 29, 2012 at 10:35 am

I swam on a 50yd course for the first time over spring break and MAN, I was totally not used to the distance. I tired out before the end, but I did enjoy the less counting too!
Steph recently posted..Mi blog es su blog

9 CaitlinHTP May 29, 2012 at 10:46 am

omg long pool all the way. short course is the worst thing ever, it makes me want to claw my eyes out.

10 Army Amy* May 29, 2012 at 10:51 am

No rest for the weary, huh? You just had a race, and you are right back in the pool! Love it!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Adventures in Nail Art

11 Meghann May 29, 2012 at 10:56 am

I took a full day of rest on Sunday and it was amazing. ๐Ÿ™‚

12 Part Time House Wife May 29, 2012 at 10:59 am

Just reading that got me out of breath! Holy intensity.
Part Time House Wife recently posted..Memorial Day Inspired Vanilla Lemon Cupcakes with Coconut Buttercream Frosting

13 Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 29, 2012 at 11:14 am

I’d be scared to death … I can swim, but not very well! Doggy paddling across that thing would probably be exhausting! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..An Elvis burger and a jalapeรฑo margarita.

14 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More May 29, 2012 at 11:17 am

No pools for me…I’m not a confident swimmer. :-/
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Cheers

15 Meghann May 29, 2012 at 11:19 am

Hi Katie! Just a heads up that I noticed some of your comments were going to the spam folder so I went in and un-spammed them. Not sure how that happened, but if you notice your comments are missing the future, just let me know so I can go back in and fix it. Thanks!

16 Holly May 29, 2012 at 11:18 am

i would LOVE to have a 50m pool readily available for training, but there are usually only 25m ones available. there’s a pool not too far away that gets set up “long course” style for a few weeks/months of the year, but so far i haven’t scored a training day when it was like that. 50m pools are much better for tri training i think- unless you’re doing a tri with a pool swim, there’s no flip turn (and push off power) in a tri! ๐Ÿ™‚ Glad you had a good workout!!
Holly recently posted..Fresh recycling

17 Steph May 29, 2012 at 11:28 am

I *love* swimming in the 50 m pool. But I was worthless when I competed long-course. People who I would normally be faster than would just blow me away! But since I’m not doing that anymore, I can just enjoy it =)

18 Maura @ My Healthy 'Ohana May 29, 2012 at 12:51 pm

I prefer the 25 to the 50, maybe something psychologically about getting a break when you do a turn around or finish a lap? Then again, I was a sprinter, so I guess I will always prefer shorter distances ๐Ÿ™‚
Maura @ My Healthy ‘Ohana recently posted..Pony Rides and Caprese Salad

19 Emily N May 29, 2012 at 1:24 pm

That sounds like a great pool workout. I bet your tris get stronger and stronger this summer!
Emily N recently posted..Attack of the Whirlies

20 Christine May 29, 2012 at 1:54 pm

If you mentioned this, I think I missed it. How much do you pay for the swim training/coaching? I’ve always thought about looking into one, but have no idea how much it would cost…? If you don’t mind sharing, I would appreciate it!
Christine recently posted..Use Your Imagination: Tantalizing Tastes & Tours

21 Meghann May 29, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Right now I do not currently pay for swim training or coaching. The team I’m apart of is made up of friends and our coach (Felipe) is just starting out in the tri-coaching game. I want to work with him to develop a 70.3 plan for Miami – and I plan to pay him for that – but, just like with you, I’m not sure 100% what that would be.

22 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama May 29, 2012 at 2:44 pm

I would not be a fan of the long pool. I’m not the best swimmer so the doggie paddle would take forever to make it the length of an olympic size pool!
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..I’m Still In Holiday Mode

23 Amanda - TooTallFritz May 29, 2012 at 4:53 pm

I want a long pool. That is soooo cool!
Amanda – TooTallFritz recently posted..No Regretsโ€ฆ

24 Felipe May 29, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Just wait until we have Hard 200’s, 5 min hard on the bikes (which will be on the pool deck on windtrainers, followed by hard laps. Brutal. Hurts so good.

25 Chuck May 29, 2012 at 11:28 pm

I can’t wait for those!
Chuck recently posted..North Florida Olympic Triathlon

26 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats May 29, 2012 at 8:35 pm

I’ve actually never swam in a 50 meter pool! It seems intimidating!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Still Missing and Sad News

27 Coco May 30, 2012 at 5:31 pm

I like the 50M just because its not something that I got top swim in a whole lot. However I really like doing flip turns and 25M allows for a whole lot more of them ๐Ÿ˜‰
Coco recently posted..Leaning on a classic