Caliente

by Meghann on May 24, 2012

Let’s add this to the list of places I never thought I’d be meeting someone for lunch. πŸ˜‰

Screen shot 2012-05-24 at 3.02.03 PM.png

Caliente Resort and Spa is a clothing-optional resort just north of Tampa. Yep, you heard that right – my second clothing-optional resort visit in a week. I think I may have just found a new hobby!

Kidding! Sort of.

Pete (the race director for Streak the Cove) also organizes a Fall clothing-optional race at Caliente called Bare Dare. He wanted to discuss the possibility of working with him on some promotions for that race (anyone interested in winning a free race entry? πŸ˜‰ ) and invited me to lunch to check the location out.

IMAG1550.jpg

Considering the resort is in the middle of nowhere (gotta love the emptiness that is Land O’ Lakes) the resort was impressive! When I pulled up, I felt like I was pulling into a luxury country club, not a nudist resort. The clubhouse was huge and impressive. I was given a short tour of the clubhouse, which included a piano bar, a night club, two restaurants, a spa, fitness center, and group exercise room (where a clothing-optional pilates class was currently taking place).

The clubhouse was nice, but the pool was what really took my breath away.

Caliente Resort.jpg

(source: Facebook)

As soon as I walked outside, I felt like I was stepping out into a resort in the Caribbean instead of North Tampa. The mix of palm trees, waterfalls, and crystal clear blue water was enough to have me craving a pina colada, a good book, and a chair in the shade. It was such a tease to see knowing I didn’t have time to take advantage of it! Simply paradise.

There were nude people there? I was too busy drooling over the pool to notice.

Anyways, after my tour, Pete and I took a seat at the poolside restaurant (I should probably note here that we stayed fully clothed the entire time) and had lunch while talking business.

I ordered the tilapia sandwich with a side of fruit.

IMAG1549.jpg

I enjoyed the doughy bun the fish was served on, but the fish itself was sorta bland. Pete had ordered a club-like sandwich that looked about 10 times better than mine. In case you ever find yourself at the poolside restaurant at Caliente, I would suggest ordering the club-like sandwich from the menu and not the fish. πŸ˜‰

Caliente was an interesting spot for a lunch meeting, but I will admit it was fun going out there. Now I just need to go back to take advantage of the pool. I wonder if that’s something I can talk Derek into? Hmm… At the very least there’s always the Bare Dare in September. That race might just be worth doing for the ability to lay out by the pool afterwards. πŸ˜‰

Where’s the strangest place you’ve met someone for lunch?

1 Sana May 24, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Hahah you have been doing a lot of clothing optional activities lately πŸ˜‰
Sana recently posted..It’s A lot Easier When You Have Nothing To Do.

2 Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 24, 2012 at 3:53 pm

I don’t think any place I could think of would beat your interesting lunch location!! πŸ˜‰
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Arnold Palmer vs. Orange Creamsicle

3 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats May 24, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Haha I think you’re going to become a nudist! Sounds like an awesome resort!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

4 Corrie @ Blurb Column May 24, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Beautiful! Do you have to join or be a nudist to go there? I have no idea how these things work. But also, I really just want to give you big props for being so comfortable with yourself. As Americans we get so weirded out about nudity (myself included)! It is nice to see someone being so openminded and embracing their body. Kudos to you!
Corrie @ Blurb Column recently posted..Mental Health Day – Update

5 RunInBoise May 24, 2012 at 4:27 pm

I would so go back there just for the pool too!
RunInBoise recently posted..Mid-week Race Day Prep

6 Annette @FitnessPerks May 24, 2012 at 4:52 pm

HAHA. That is hilarious. Glad you inserted that you all stayed clothed πŸ˜‰ That pool does look rockin’!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..β€œKick Your Booty” Boot-Camp Style Workout

7 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama May 24, 2012 at 5:03 pm

I like that you mentioned the business meeting was fully clothed!

BTW – what’s business casual at a nudist resort? πŸ™‚
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Three Things Thursday

8 Cait's Plate May 24, 2012 at 5:34 pm

I don’t know that I’ve ever eaten lunch in a place that would be considered “crazy” – I can’t imagine what it would be like! Haha.
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Put Me In Coach

9 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness May 24, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Oh girl…your nudist opportunities keep growing and growing:) Looks like a fab stop though!

10 Nikki May 24, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Uhmm… Was the Pilates class awkward? Upright running, sitting stabding naked is one thing… Bending twisting naked is another, lol

11 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 24, 2012 at 8:01 pm

You’ve been viewing a lot of nekked people lately. πŸ˜‰ Obviously I’m just joking lol
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..dare to be bare

12 Christine @ BookishlyB May 24, 2012 at 9:21 pm

I ate lunch on the top of Half Dome in Yosemite once. Everyone had their clothes on, that I’m sure of.
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..yearBookin’ It

13 Cat @ Breakfast to Bed May 25, 2012 at 10:44 am

I sincerely hope that pool is heavily chlorinated.
Cat @ Breakfast to Bed recently posted..If You Like Pina Coladas…You’ll like it better with tequila.

14 Debra May 25, 2012 at 10:56 am

Any idea how I can find nude races in my area? I’ve been searching but no luck. πŸ™

15 Meghann May 25, 2012 at 11:06 am

Good question. Someone had asked if there was a national database of some sort, but I couldn’t locate one. Sorry. πŸ™

16 Ike May 25, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Looking forward to joining the race!

17 Lori Jennings June 30, 2014 at 4:07 am

I really enjoyed your blog post on your lunch at Caliente Resort. It’s a wonderful clothing optional place, so being there fully clothed is not out of the ordinary. The full service resort and spa is located just North of Tampa. Away from it all in Land O Lakes, but close enough to Tampa and surrounding beaches to have access to anything you want. I personally love their SOS Parties on Sunday’s (Suits Optional Sundays) with a great BBQ, drink specials music and the liberating freedom that comes with being comfortable however you want to be! It draws a lot of day guests and it’s is very popular! http://www.iloveCaliente.com