Tuesday Ride

by Meghann on May 22, 2012

Well, it’s been a while since I’ve worn these.

Hello, cycling shoes. I’ve missed you.

That’s right – I pulled the cycling shoes from the depths of my closet, loaded my bike in my car, and headed out for my first bike ride since October. I still can’t believe I went so long without taking my bike out. My training schedule was so wrapped around improving my running times (hello brand new half marathon and marathon PRs!) that cycling and swimming definitely slipped through the cracks. I’ve already added swimming back to my schedule (and am starting to see improvements), so the next step was the bike.

Hello, Blue. Good to see you, too. πŸ™‚

I really have Courtney to thank for getting me back on the bike. She sent me a text message on Friday that went something along the lines of “Fix your bike – we’re riding Tuesday morning. No excuses.” Can’t argue there. So I fixed my bike and met her bright and early at the trailhead.

We both agreed to keep it easy this morning – no sprints, no garmins, and no hard pushing. We didn’t even have a set distance, we just rode. I think we ended up covering 14-ish miles and covered some good gossip in between.

This ride wasn’t crazy or thrilling, but it was still important. It was the first of the tri – season and I’m sure the first of many, many more to come. We all have to start somewhere. Baby steps. πŸ˜‰

After our ride I was starving. I hightailed it back home and toasted some leftover pancakes from the freezer.

I topped the pancakes with some chocolate PB2 (’twas love at first taste), fresh strawberries, and some Kashi Go Lean Crisp.

Quick breakfasts like these are why making extra pancakes and freezing them is a genius idea. Genius!

Now I just need to work on replenishing my stash. πŸ˜‰

1 Army Amy* May 22, 2012 at 10:09 am

The beginning of tri season! Yeay!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Change is in the Air

2 Cait's Plate May 22, 2012 at 10:10 am

I’m with you – I always make a few extra pancakes to save – makes weekday mornings feel that much better πŸ™‚
Cait’s Plate recently posted..High Five

3 Kathy May 22, 2012 at 10:17 am

I agree….we always make extra pancakes or waffles…they are good for the quick mornings. And extra french toast is the BOMB…I just take a piece cold from the fridge …little Biscoff and flaxseed….and I am off! πŸ˜‰
Kathy recently posted..Happy Friday from all of US!

4 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats May 22, 2012 at 11:04 am

I’ve heard you can freeze pancakes but it seems so odd to me! Do they taste just as good?
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Last Day in Kansas City…

5 Meghann May 23, 2012 at 11:08 am

They do! Just think of it as homemade eggos πŸ™‚

6 Annette @FitnessPerks May 22, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Wahoo!! Tri season is HERE πŸ™‚ I too have hopped back on the bike–b/c I have a Half IronMan in August. We did 29 miles the other day, and it wasn’t soooooo bad. But boy did my butt hurt!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Butterscotch Protein No-Bake Cookies

7 Hayley @ Running Down the Runway May 22, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Just had a bowl of chocolate PB2, a banana, cottage cheese and cinnamon as a post workout snack- one of my favorite combos!
Hayley @ Running Down the Runway recently posted..Race Updates & The GIVEAWAY Winner!!

8 Amy May 22, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Are you not wearing any socks in your cycling shoes? Is that comfortable?

9 Meghann May 23, 2012 at 11:10 am

I’m not. I’ve actually had my coach tell me it’s good to train sock-less for triathlons, since not wearing socks during the actual triathlon is just one thing you can eliminate during transitions.

10 Amy May 23, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Makes sense…once i get this baby out and start training again i’ll definitely give that a try–thanks!

11 Stephanie @ My Freckled Life May 22, 2012 at 1:56 pm

What a good idea to freeze pancakes. I never thought about that! One weekday mornings I usually end up eating the fastest breakfasts I can come up with at the time, but tend to make nicer breakfasts on weekends when I have more time. I might have to make some extra pancakes next time and freeze some for the week. Genius!

12 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama May 22, 2012 at 2:08 pm

I so want to get a road bike but the one thing holding me back is dealing with traffic/cars. It scares me! We don’t have any specific bike trails around here so the road is it. Boo!

We always have an extra stash of pancakes in the freezer. It’s one of our go-to breakfasts for the kids!
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..The Fountain of Youth

13 Erin May 22, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Why PB2 and not real peanut butter? After a 14 mile bike ride, do you feel the urge to restrict yourself to non-fat peanut butter?

14 Meghann May 23, 2012 at 11:12 am

Honestly, I like the taste of PB2 over regular peanut butter. It’s a little lighter in flavor and not as quite in your face. I don’t see myself as restricting, I even use milk to make the PB2 to pump up the fat content a tad. πŸ™‚

15 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness May 22, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Cycling shoes scare me…what if I fall over and I am attached? I know that you can get out of them, but the thought….ah!
I am always most comfortable in spin class. Safe and sound:)
Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..Celebrate More: Rejoice in the Big and the Small

16 Meghann May 23, 2012 at 11:13 am

the only way to get over the fear is to just fall over. then you’ll realize it’s not that bad and you will survive πŸ™‚

17 Sarah @ RunningChickago.com May 22, 2012 at 2:39 pm

For whatever reason, I’m always STARVING after a bike ride…but not so much after a long run. That looks like the perfect post-bike ride breakfast! πŸ™‚
Sarah @ RunningChickago.com recently posted..Cravin’ (Chocolate) Chips

18 Maura @ My Healthy 'Ohana May 22, 2012 at 3:07 pm

I’ve been debating whether to buy PB2, do you like the chocolate flavor best?
Maura @ My Healthy ‘Ohana recently posted..Solar Eclipse and Bouchon’s Famous Roast Chicken

19 Meghann May 23, 2012 at 11:14 am

That’s the only time I’ve had the chocolate flavor, so I can’t say it’s the “best” If you were just going to get one, I would stick with regular. πŸ™‚

20 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions May 22, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Oh my gosh. I was on a mad pancake kick from the end of February basically through the end of April and I made pancakes at least once a week. I always had extras that I’d freeze and pop in the toaster after my Saturday long runs when I was training for my 10K. Legitimately one of the highlights of my Saturdays for like two straight months haha. It’s the perfect post-run (or bike!) fuel as far as I’m concerned.

21 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner May 23, 2012 at 12:01 am

Ahhh! There’s chocolate PB2? Must find!
Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner recently posted..Xtreme Dinner

22 Emily N May 23, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Glad you got the bike back out there. I think it is going tobe an important part of training in the coming months.
Emily N recently posted..Speedy Treadmill Session