Class of 2003

by Meghann on May 22, 2012

New food find alert!

The lemon hummus caught my attention during my mad stroll through Publix last night. (p.s. that’s the last time I’ll be hitting up Publix after swim practice… unless I want to see my grocery bill triple in the coming months.) The lemon lover in me had to try it.

It was a great addition to my snack platter lunch plate today which included everything from pita slices to leftover edamame to carrots, tomatoes, and peach slices. Yum.

The fresh lemon-y hummus was very refreshing. The lemon flavor was very faint, yet still enough to let me know it was there. When paired with the salty pita or tomato, the combination was divine. It’s the perfect hummus for summer.

Class of 2003

Last Friday I was invited to my 10 year high school reunion group on Facebook.
Screen shot 2012-05-22 at 2.08.37 PM.png

Man, that made me feel old.

Luckily we’re not quite at 10 years just yet. Our former class president decided to start the group a year early to get a little buzz going about the possibility of a future event. It worked. Over the course of 3 days the group has grew from the original 38 members when I first joined to over 275+ when I checked today. That’s not bad considering our graduating class was only made up of about 320 or so.

Screen shot 2012-05-22 at 2.23.58 PM.png

Screen shot 2012-05-22 at 2.46.48 PM.png

The group already feels like a class reunion in itself. All these people that I forgot even existed are coming out of the woodwork and it’s been fun to reconnect with them (or, you know, Facebook stalk them to see what they’ve been up to).

Screen shot 2012-05-22 at 2.26.15 PM.png

(I did throw awesome parties πŸ˜‰ )

I had to get my yearbook out to jog my memory on a few names and faces. One part of me feels like high school just happened yesterday, while the other part thinks back to all I’ve accomplished since then and I swear it feels like an eternity. Some people have changed and look completely different, while others have stayed exactly the same.

What do you think? Do I look the same? different?

I didn’t stay in touch with too many friends post-high school. I have two or three girlfriends that I still talk with on a semi-regular basis, but that’s it. The truth is, I’m not sure I really had many friends to begin with back then. I hung out with a group of people that intimidated me, and even seeing them interact on the reunion Facebook page today, they still intimidate me. It was something I dealt with in high school, but once I graduated, I knew I didn’t want to anymore. So I moved on. I distanced myself from that group and went on to discover myself in college.

IMG_3951.jpg

High school was a tricky time in my life. My emotions were on high and I was oversensitive to everything that was being said and done around me. It’s something we all go through, and I know it’s part of growing up, but that doesn’t mean I would go back and want to do it all over again. No, thank you.

College was fun, though. I would do that again. Whoever says “high school is the best time of your life” obviously never went to college.

(It makes me smile that Scooby is mentioned on my senior tribute page πŸ™‚ )

Even though I didn’t stay in touch with too many people from high school, I would still like to attend the reunion next year. I’m a stronger person than I was back then, and even if I did start to feel intimidated, I know I can push past it. Because, unlike back then when people tell you it will get better but you don’t believe them, this time i know for a fact it does. I know there’s more to life than high school. I know that graduating was just the beginning and that life doesn’t truly start until you leave. And I know that what they think doesn’t matter – I’m my own person and that’s what’s important. πŸ™‚

Three cheers for the class of ’03!!

1 Krissy @ Shiawase Life May 22, 2012 at 3:02 pm

This year is my 10-year HS reunion….the years definitely do fly, don’t they?

I agree with the idea of college > HS, for sure. I have no desire to relive those awkward years πŸ˜‰
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..Cruisin’ down memory lane

2 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run May 22, 2012 at 3:04 pm

I l.o.v.e lemon hummus. So much I put periods in a word that does not need periods. I thought it sounded terrible at first but had to try and loved it. Wait, no…I l.o.v.e.d it!
Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run recently posted..By the Numbers

3 Lindsay May 22, 2012 at 3:07 pm

My 10 year reunion was last year and they conveniently (sarcasm) scheduled it for 2 weeks before Thanksgiving, so I couldn’t attend. But I didn’t want to attend anyway because none of my small group of hs friends were going, and I had little desire to see other people from hs. My 5 year college reunion, on the other hand, was AMAZING and I plan to never skip one of those ever again. Maybe I’ll go to my 15 year hs reunion?

4 Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope May 22, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Class of ’03 representing! <–:)
Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope recently posted..Mud Crusade 2012

5 Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 22, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I think I had a fairly similar experience in high school. I was part of the “popular” group, but the girls would always turn on each other. One second everyone loves me, the next second no one is talking to me and rumors are being spread. Not fun. Looking back, I really wish I had stuck up for myself. But then, like you said, I went to college and had a WAY better experience! πŸ™‚
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Saturday Morning at the Farmers’ Market (+ a Panini recipe!)

6 julie @ peanut butter fingers May 22, 2012 at 3:21 pm

woohoo! i graduated high school in 2003, too. i am not sure whether or not my graduating class is planning a reunion. sounds like your former class president is really on top of things!
julie @ peanut butter fingers recently posted..Power’s Out

7 Allison May 22, 2012 at 3:21 pm

I was just invited to my ten yr. reunion about a year ago. I didn’t go. I don’t keep in touch with anyone from that phase in my life.
I am like you, I loved college!
Allison recently posted..Friday Confessions

8 Lindsey May 22, 2012 at 3:42 pm

We had a Facebook group started about a year early too with about 300 members but now its come the year to plan and everything and they did not get a good response on the reunion…I think they sold 50 tickets and needed 200 to break even for the event which is too bad. I am not going regardless since I am still close with the people I want to see and am not sure I care about seeing anyone else. That sounds bad but is true! I actually planned a mini reunion for about 12 of us girls for the same night since a lot of people didn’t want to buy the $50 tickets to go.
Lindsey recently posted..Victoria Day Happenings

9 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions May 22, 2012 at 3:46 pm

I totally agree that college was way better than high school. I mean, I didn’t hate high school, and I really enjoyed the last few months of high school, but I feel like I learned so much more about myself in college and became a lot more of the person I wanted to be. There’s totally still pressure in college, but, in my experience at least, peer pressure wasn’t nearly as overwhelming. The social hierarchy that dominated my high school didn’t exist at all in college, and your level of popularity didn’t really define you as a person nearly as much in college I felt. College ftw.
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..Another Weekend, Another Race

10 Margo May 22, 2012 at 3:49 pm

My high school reunion was last fall. I was so nervous about going, because I was a total wallflower in high school. I ended up having a blast! Ten years is a long time so most people had matured and were more interesting than intimidating. I even found out that two of my classmates had run the Chicago Marathon with me the week before!

11 peach May 22, 2012 at 3:50 pm

I was just invited to my 10 year reunion yesterday! I’m from such a small town that there are only 16 others invited πŸ˜‰ And yeah, high school was definitely NOT the best years of my life and I would be pretty sad if my best years were 10 years behind me.
peach recently posted..Updates

12 Wendi May 22, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Meghann, I have been reading your blog off and on for almost three years now, and NEVER commented. I just wanted to say I have really been enjoying your posts lately. I can relate to your feelings about high school, and I think it’s awesome that you had the courage to say things that most of us were probably thinking. Although I DID love high school and had a great time, of course I felt self concious about many things I said and did.

13 Karen @ Run Shop Travel May 22, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Interesting post; my 10 yr is this year and I am debating whether to go or not.

On the one hand, I did have a pretty good time in high school compared to a lot of people I know, on the other, I keep in touch with everyone that matters and with facebook I can see what is going on with the other people I didn’t stay in as close of touch with!
Karen @ Run Shop Travel recently posted..Marathon Training

14 Grace @ Grace Dishes May 22, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Wow that means next year is my 10 year HS reunion. Where has the time gone?

I preferred college over HS too even though I did have fun moments in HS. I was miserable in terms of self-acceptance and loving myself.

Sometimes I feel like I’m a stronger person than I was years ago but little things can still get to me. I hide my insecurities well though but may come off as aloof and stuck-up.

I love Publix hummus. My absolute favorite is cilantro-jalapeno!
Grace @ Grace Dishes recently posted..V as in…VOLUME

15 Kailey May 22, 2012 at 4:42 pm

glad to know that I am not the only one who wouldn’t do high school over again…i am loving the college life SO much more πŸ˜‰
Kailey recently posted..Zone Bar – White Chocolate Macadamia Nut

16 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats May 22, 2012 at 4:45 pm

I am the same as you when it comes to the high school experience. We’ll see of I go to my 10 year reunion (didn’t go to the 5 year) but my class only had 96 so most of us are Facebook friends
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Last Day in Kansas City…

17 Maura May 22, 2012 at 4:50 pm

I’m guessing after running naked, your reunion will be easy as pie πŸ˜‰

18 Anne Weber-Falk May 22, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Ha!

19 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City May 22, 2012 at 4:53 pm

I was the same way in high school. I had a lot of “friends” but only a few that I actually talk to now and still consider friends. I haven’t made it to my 10 year but I did go to my 5 year reunion and it felt great. I was a much stronger individual and it felt good to show that off!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..That Time We Almost Won Trivia

20 PavementRunner May 22, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Love me some Hummus… I’ve been eating it with pesto and a different one with sundried tomatoes. NOM NOM NOM.
PavementRunner recently posted..Horseshoe Lake 50k β€”Β Before & After

21 Beka May 22, 2012 at 5:39 pm

I am also class of ’03. I don’t know if we will be able to have a reunion! My class only had 48 people in it and a lot of us left the small town I grew up in and moved to other states or cities pretty distant.

I am DEFINITELY going to get the lemon hummus. Yum!
Beka recently posted..Meet-ups and Meatloaf

22 Nanci May 22, 2012 at 6:04 pm

I *MUST* try the lemon hummus! Sounds so good!!! And you are so young… lol. I graduteed high school 22 years ago in 1990. I feel so old now reading your post. πŸ™‚
Nanci recently posted..Blog Love: I Sweat Pretty

23 Amanda May 22, 2012 at 6:57 pm

I think I feel completely opposite of high school! My friends then are my friends now, and I can wait for our Class of 2003 reunion to come! Maybe being from a small town helped (150 in our graduating class)? I loved college too, but to me nothing will be as special as high school. Zero responsibility (paying bills, etc.) and everyday all day with your best friends! Gotta keep in mind not everyone has the same experience πŸ™‚

24 Corey @ Learning Patience May 22, 2012 at 6:59 pm

I will agree with the comment earlier…i too have been really enjoying your posts more and more lately…

xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Feeling Lucky

25 Sara@RunningInPinkProject May 22, 2012 at 7:24 pm

I loved high school but skipped my reunion a couple years ago. I just wasnt into it . πŸ™‚ Im super curious about this lemon hummus. I cant decide what I think of it based just on description.
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..A New York Minute

26 Dori May 22, 2012 at 7:33 pm

I LOVED high school. I miss it. I actually had 1,099 in my graduating class so being anonymous was incredible. I can’t imagine (nor would I want to) going to a small school where everyone knows everyone else. I didn’t love college the way everyone else does though, I never made friends there because I lived in a community with people that just weren’t for me.
Dori recently posted..UAE Healthy Kidney 10K Race Recap: My Brain During a Race

27 Angela @ Sleep and Repeat May 22, 2012 at 8:16 pm

aw, how cute are you in those photos?! Love it πŸ™‚ I think my five year reunion should be this year but i haven’t heard anything yet – we’ll see!
Angela @ Sleep and Repeat recently posted..Northampton, Massachusetts: Smith Ivy Day and Day Drinking

28 Anne Weber-Falk May 22, 2012 at 8:34 pm

This is my 30 year reunion. Yes, 30 years. I see the Facebook people I knew in school and their pages are full of pictures from HS and comments say things like it was the best time of their lives. There are so many pictures from the old days on the pages too. That is sad to me. There is so much life that I have lived. New friends, my husband, my children, travel, work, and more. I entertained the thought of going to the reunion but changed my mind. There must be others that think this way too because out of a class of 250, just 16 people have purchased tickets for the end of July event.

29 AndreaClaire May 22, 2012 at 9:21 pm

I wasn’t going to attend my 10 year reunion. I had made the decision pretty much the day I gradded. Twenty year? I’d go. But 10? What sort of changes would occur in only 10 years? In 10 years, I’d probably be still be friends with the people that mattered so what was the point? Besides, even in my geek circle there was hierarchy amongst the girls and because I refused to jump when the ‘head’ girl demanded it, I was the low rung on the ladder. Did I really want to spend the day being reminded of those days of glory? No, thank you!

Well, not only did I end up going, I ended up organizing it thanks to my dear friend (and high school boyfriend). Still kind of hate him for that πŸ˜‰

The amazing thing was not only seeing those girls from high school and knowing how little power they actually held over how my life turned out, but talking to people who I didn’t think even knew I existed and finding out that they were excited to see me. They remembered me as the quiet kid with the quick wit. One of the ‘cool’ guys even admitted he always tried to sit by me in classes so he could hear the comments I’d make. It was interesting to look at who I was through other people’s eyes.

Still, you couldn’t pay me enough to go through it again!
AndreaClaire recently posted..A Recommit and FMM

30 Cait's Plate May 22, 2012 at 9:52 pm

I totally agree – college beats high school completely in my book!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..One plane, One train, One automobile

31 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More May 22, 2012 at 10:01 pm

I’m nearing my 10 year…well 3 years away but soon enough and that’s a scary thought! And I’m not sure I want to go. I only talk to a few people from high school and seeing as I was the girl who knew exactly what she wanted to do and is no longer doing it…well…yeah…
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..On A Plane Again

32 BroccoliHut May 22, 2012 at 10:40 pm

You make me miss Publix! When I lived in Alabama with my family, I always love the Publix jalapeno-cilantro hummus. Tasty.
BroccoliHut recently posted..Berry Muffin Parfait

33 Elisabeth May 23, 2012 at 11:45 am

I’m still very good friends with my 3 ‘besties’ from high school, but otherwise I could care less about seeing the people I went to school with. My 10 year reunion was in 2010 & I didn’t even go. I enjoyed high school, but I already see the people I really ‘care about’ πŸ˜‰

34 Emily N May 23, 2012 at 11:48 am

I skipped my 10 year reunion. I have some regrets about it, but like you, distanced myself in college. But I truly LOVED high school.
Emily N recently posted..Speedy Treadmill Session