Saturday Spinning

by Meghann on May 19, 2012

Good morning!

I did something a little different for a Saturday morning.

First I ate.

Hot buckwheat cereal with raisins, apple, PB2, and cinnamon.

And then I went to the gym (and not for a run!).

It was actually nice taking my time getting ready to head out the door. I made breakfast, had a cup of tea, and watched the season finale of Grey’s Anatomy (yep, totally cried during some scenes).

My gym’s morning spin class schedule is awful. Well, not awful. Just inconvenient. I would like to take more spin classes during the week, but my morning options are limited to 5:15am (super, super early) or 8:30am (too late). If they just offered a 6:30am or 7:00am class I’d be golden, but no go. Boo. πŸ™

I know, wah, wah goes the cry baby. If I wanted it bad enough I’d wake up for the 5:15am class. Gulp. Maybe.

Anyways, last night I checked the schedule to see if they had any Saturday classes (love that my weekend training schedule isn’t tied up in long runs at the moment!!) and they had one at 8:30. Score! So I decided to do something I haven’t done in months – I took a spin class.

It felt great to get back on the bike. My heart was pumpin’, I was sweatin’ up a storm, and my legs were spinning with the rhythm. Why don’t I take these classes more often? Oh, right…

The instructor took us on a Vegas themed ride today. At the beginning of the class he walked around with a deck of cards that sealed our fate for today’s ride. He had 5 of us select a card from the deck and each number or face card that we drew represented which interval we would do during the ride. He also had a Vegas inspired playlist, which included – you guessed it! – Poker Face by Lady Gaga. πŸ˜‰

I love when spin classes have themes. I think that’s what makes them fun, especially when the instructor is really in to it. πŸ™‚

After the spin class, I hopped on the treadmill and knocked out three miles. It wasn’t something I was planning to do, but the spin class got me so pumped up, that I knew I had to sneak a brick in there. The run actually wasn’t that bad. I started at 6.5, then moved to 7.0 because my legs felt good. It was a good morning to sweat. πŸ™‚

Also, I’m not sure I’ve ever been to the gym on a Saturday morning and was surprised with how packed it was! I loved that so many people are inspired to workout on the weekends. πŸ™‚

When I returned home I made myself a post-workout snack to hold me over until lunch. A little bowl of ricotta with strawberry jam and Kashi Go Lean Crisp.

Yum.

My brought my road bike in from the garage and my first task this morning is to fix the flat tire, then I’m taking it in to the shop for a tune up. Can’t wait to get back on the road with it!

Have a great Saturday everyone!

1 Cait's Plate May 19, 2012 at 11:34 am

I need to try buckwheat as a sub for oatmeal – it looks so thick and doughy!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Dancing Dirty

2 Katie May 19, 2012 at 11:48 am

I get my best workouts on the weekends because my body isn’t overly tired and I can start and stop at my own pace.
Katie recently posted..Sharing for Success

3 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats May 19, 2012 at 11:54 am

Sounds like a fun class, I love the theme!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Middlesex and Sleeping in the Theater

4 Brittney @ Brittney Breathing May 19, 2012 at 12:21 pm

I’ve never heard of a themed spin class! Sounds like fun πŸ™‚
Brittney @ Brittney Breathing recently posted..Lentil Stir Fry

5 Hillary May 19, 2012 at 12:23 pm

I get my best workouts on the weekends: I’m not exhausted from being at work all day, and I can take my time!
Hillary recently posted..The Foodie Experience

6 Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 19, 2012 at 12:28 pm

I’ve never gone to a spin class, but I want to try my first one soon. Now that I’m working part-time at Lifetime, I need to take advantage of the classes they have to offer!! πŸ˜‰
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..What I’ve learned since being married.

7 Army Amy* May 19, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Grey’s was intense! I don’t normally watch it, but the previews caught my attention, so I did. Heavy stuff!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Celebrity Marathon Times

8 Erica May 19, 2012 at 12:49 pm

You should totally write a suggestion in for a specific class time! My group fitness manager takes all of the comments very seriously and will adjust the schedule!!
Erica recently posted..Chipotle Opens & Itzy’s Kitchen Closes

9 Meghann May 22, 2012 at 11:21 am

I have, and they had a 6:30 Wednesday class for a while, but they took it away. πŸ™

10 Tara May 19, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Why is an 8:30 class too late for you since you work from home? Do you just not want to start your day later?

11 Kailey May 19, 2012 at 1:14 pm

I’ve never taken a spin class before but everyone always raves about them! Thats so cool that it was themed. Anything by Lady GaGa is sure to get your heart pumpin πŸ˜‰
Kailey recently posted..Luna Bar – Chocolate Raspberry Fiber

12 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama May 19, 2012 at 2:10 pm

That’s one thing I miss the most about not having a gym membership – spinning! Instructors make or break a class. I love the Vegas theme!
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..10 Years!

13 Melissa May 19, 2012 at 2:45 pm

A few months ago I moved to an area where there are a lot of trails and really wide sidewalks for running/walking. Every Saturday morning when I go for my long run I see tons of people doing the same. It’s so awesome!
Melissa recently posted..A Venti Frappuccino Kind of Morning

14 Sana May 19, 2012 at 2:56 pm

I don’t want to talk about Grey’s Anatomy. So mad.
Sana recently posted..A View From My Window

15 Annette @FitnessPerks May 19, 2012 at 3:05 pm

SOunds awesome! I need to get into a spin class again soon πŸ™‚ I worked on some bricks today too–my legs feel like jelllllllO!!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Focus On: Bulgarian Split Squat

16 Liz May 19, 2012 at 4:13 pm

I LOVE your little blue bowl that you often use for snacks. Where did you get it/what brand is it? It looks perfect for appropriate serving sizes!

17 Meghann May 19, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Not sure the brand, but I bought them in a 4-pack from Publix. They’re my favorite little serving bowls πŸ™‚

18 Jennifer May 19, 2012 at 4:49 pm

How is 8:30 AM too late if you work at home?

I love Beth of shutupandrun.net, and am always envious that she’s able to accommodate later day workouts since she’s a social worker who works from home.

19 Meghann May 19, 2012 at 5:25 pm

I try to stick to a traditional 9-5 schedule during the work week with projects and work stuff. I’ve taken the 8:30am class before, but didn’t like how it messed up with my day – I prefer the 6:00am – 8:00am workout window. Different methods work for different people. πŸ™‚

20 Nina May 19, 2012 at 5:05 pm

I think people who work more structured jobs might find it easier to work out on the weekends. I for one can only work out in the evenings and on weekends. No a.m. Weekday work outs for me!

21 Brie May 19, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Psht, 5:15 is no big deal. I do 5:30 CrossFit several times a week and I love it!
Brie recently posted..Week 22

22 Samantha May 19, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Agreed. By mid/late summer the sun in Japan is high in the sky by 4am. Better to work out early before the heat of the day, and have the rest of the day to flex with. And I, like Meghann, am my own boss so I run two business from home. I also have a volunteer position that requires evening office hours twice a week…so early AM it is most days. Great way to kick off the day!

23 Meghann May 22, 2012 at 11:22 am

Is it strange that 5:30 sounds slightly better than 5:15? πŸ˜‰

24 Sara@RunningInPinkProject May 19, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Themed spinning sounds fun!! Im about to watch the Greys finale now. πŸ™‚ I ugly cried during the Private Practice finale so Im sure Ill be a mess.
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..Almost Married

25 Meghan @ Run With Meg May 19, 2012 at 9:36 pm

the 515 spin classes are so worth it! I go to really early classes at my gym and everyone in there has more energy than the evening classes. I’m always so glad I went even though it is an early class it gives me some time to get my thoughts together between gym and work.
Meghan @ Run With Meg recently posted..The Art of Bootcamp