No sew, No worries (right…)

by Meghann on May 15, 2012

We have new curtains!

Here’s a (dated) look at what we had before.

The dark curtains were great when we wanted to block the sun, but I never really fell in love with them. I’d recently started toying with the idea of buying new curtains when I saw these bad boys at Ikea and had to bring them home.

I think the lighter curtains really brighten the room up. Even Derek was a fan of the new curtains when I surprised him after work today. “Surprise, baby! I bought curtains!” I was afraid he would say they were too girly, but he told me they looked nice and he approved. Woo hoo!

Which is good because I’d just spent an hour cutting and hemming them, and I’m pretty sure Ikea wouldn’t take back semi-hemmed curtains. (would they?) Did you know Ikea curtains come pre-hemmed? A lovely fact I didn’t realize until I got home and saw how super long they were. Oops.

They also came with no-sew iron-on tape for an easy do-it-yourself hem. The tape admittedly intimidated me at first, but the directions made it look so easy, that I decided to give it a try.

I used the old curtain as my measuring guide and folded, ironed, and trimmed accordingly.

Maddie helped.

The no-sew hem was really easy to do, but my ironing skills apparently tanked (or maybe I didn’t cut enough of the excess hem away?). Either way, the hem fell apart about an hour after I hung the curtains up. #Fail I was planning on buying heavy duty doubled-sided tape, when Derek suggested Gorilla Glue to fix the hem problem. I haven’t had the energy to fight with it tonight, but we’ll see if the Gorilla Glue gets the job done tomorrow.

IMG_3662.jpg

^see the busted hem?^

Either that or we’ll just have really long un-hemmed curtains. Eh. Whatever works.

Have you had any luck with the no-sew hem? What is the secret?

My curtain hemming/hanging fuel.

My dinner.

Derek came home from work as I was chopping up two chicken breast. He asked me what I was making and I told him I had no idea. “But you just cut up two chicken breast, how do you not know?” This happens to me a lot – I just start chopping and see what comes of it.

I checked the fridge for inspiration and found a bottle of Greek dressing to marinate the chicken in. The Greek dressing inspired a greek chicken theme which led to the other half of a sweet onion in the fridge, the olives in the pantry, the last tomato from the batch I bought last week, and the mushrooms I had almost forgot about in the drawer.

I chopped everything up, placed it in a frying pan, and let it cook down with a little oregano and thyme. The chicken could have used some feta, but besides that it was delicious.

I also had roasted cauliflower

and 1/2 of a sweet potato that I covered in leftover drippins’ from the chicken pan.

We ran a few errands after dinner (Derek is the proud new owner of a PS3 … I may never see my loving fiance again) and I had the last of my sister’s cookie cake with a scoop of ice cream afterwards.

We’d just spent over an hour at Best Buy and Wal-Mart, the ice cream was well deserved.

I’m planning on zoning out “Call of Duty” with a little light reading in bed.

Good Night!

1 Sana May 15, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Boys and toys. That is all.
Sana recently posted..Half Price Qdoba

2 Heather May 15, 2012 at 11:26 pm

The curtain /wall/ shelf rail is off and looks weird

3 Meghan @ Run With Meg May 15, 2012 at 11:38 pm

The curtains look great!
Meghan @ Run With Meg recently posted..Bringing Out The Big Guns

4 Reenie May 15, 2012 at 11:42 pm

I think you should trim off the excess ~ and try again. It’s easy 😉

5 Socal Rachel May 16, 2012 at 12:49 am

Don’t trim/hem the drapes, raise the rod. It will also give the elusion of a larger window.
Socal Rachel recently posted..Snakes, Tigers, Buffalo and Death – Jan 21

6 Khushboo Thadani May 16, 2012 at 1:26 am

My brother is currently studying for his post-grad final exams & just threw out his PS3- he found it way too distracting to have at home!
Khushboo Thadani recently posted..Wa’s gwannin in Guangzhou…

7 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats May 16, 2012 at 1:47 am

I love that iron tape, it’s so convenient!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Feeling Jazzy?!

8 CheezyK May 16, 2012 at 2:46 am

I’m so glad I’m not the only one who starts making dinner without a clear idea of what it will end up being! 🙂
CheezyK recently posted..In what may become a series

9 jennie May 16, 2012 at 5:49 am

Just move the rod the rod up closer to the ceiling. It makes the room look bigger.

10 Kathy May 16, 2012 at 6:21 am

thanks for your thoughts on my daughter….its amazing what 24 hours in a 12year old can do….she is happier and decided to join the summer running club too. 😉

(kids…ha!)
Kathy recently posted..It’s Official….

11 Meghann May 16, 2012 at 3:35 pm

I’m glad her answer worked because I had no idea what to say! I know I put my parents through hell with signing up for things and completely bailing on them a few months in – lord knows how I’ll react when I have kids! 🙂

12 Part Time House Wife May 16, 2012 at 6:55 am

How convenient! I can NOT sew. Like no way no how and I don’t have patience to read manuals on sewing machines so a Velcro/iron hem would be perfect!
Part Time House Wife recently posted..The Most FlavorFULL Cheesy Lentil Loaf with Cecca Sauce

13 Summer T. May 16, 2012 at 7:47 am

love love love the curtains!

14 Deanna May 16, 2012 at 9:13 am

i have NEVER had luck with no-sew tape. at least it was your curtains and not work pants with falling hems during a client meeting like me!!
Deanna recently posted..A Moment of Zen

15 Stephanie @ The Travelling Tastebuds May 16, 2012 at 9:13 am

This sounds like a hassle… but I would actually forget the hem & hang the curtain rods HIGHER to help the room appear larger/taller.

16 Cait's Plate May 16, 2012 at 9:14 am

The curtains look amazing!! And haha – too funny that you have to fall asleep to “Call of Duty” – sounds about right! 🙂
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Home Again, Home Again

17 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City May 16, 2012 at 11:05 am

Oh Call of Duty. I’ve never played it but know all of the words and phrases that the narrator says. Boys…
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..WIAW {On the Go}

18 Abbey May 16, 2012 at 1:12 pm

I always get the permanent heavy duty hemming tape. You can get it at Hobby Lobby, Michaels, and I think even Walmart in the fabric/sewing section. i have made several curtains with this. It’s really cheap too! I have never tried anything but the permanent stuff. Hope that helps!

19 Lisa in IL May 16, 2012 at 2:03 pm

check your fabric content, IKEA curtains are not preshrunk. I made that mistake once. Hemmed them & a year later when I washed them & threw them in the dryer without thinking they were a good couple of inches shorter & all wonky out of shape.

20 Angela May 16, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Your iron has to be really hot to melt that hemming stuff which is fine if your curtains are made of cotton. I’ve never tried it on other materials so not sure how it would work.

21 Sara May 16, 2012 at 9:04 pm

I’d prewash the Ikea curtains they shrink up. Then just hang your curtain rod higher. I don’t want to be rude. But your old curtains were too short. Curtains should just graze the ground or pool depending on your personal preference. Hanging them higher will make the ceilings look higher. High and wide is always the mantra with curtains.

22 Christa May 16, 2012 at 10:09 pm

I’d have to agree that you should just hang the curtains higher. Beautiful curtains that you got though!

23 Caitlin May 16, 2012 at 10:28 pm

I would try the tape again or take them to the dry cleaners and have them run a hem for you on a machine. Gorilla glue expands while drying and does not dry clear. It may stain the hem of your curtains. Most glues, even fabric glues, will be noticeable if your fabric is light in color and weight.