New Training Goals

by Meghann on May 15, 2012

Marathon season has officially come to an end for me(and, I must add, it did end with a bang πŸ˜‰ ), so what’s next?

Triathlon season, of course!

I’ve been slowly easing myself back into the idea of training for another triathlon with the recent addition of bi-weekly swims to my weekly routine. It helps that I’m swimming with a group, if not – I might still be tip toeing around the idea of swimming, but not actually swimming. As I’ve mentioned before, triathlon training isn’t something that comes easy to me. I’m a runner who loves to run, but swimming and cycling? Not so much. I enjoy it once I’m out there doing it, but it’s not something I’ll jump out of bed for. Knowing I have a group of friends to keep me accountable, helps.

Now that I have a swim routine down (and a coach that keeps the workouts interesting!), it’s time to pull my bike out of hiding. It’s currently on the sidewall of my garage, buried under boxes with random bits of this-and-that occupying the surrounding space. I know I’ve mentioned this before (ok, several times), but my new goal this week (or next!) is to dust my bike off, fix the flat tires, and take it for a tune-up. This WILL get done. Promise. Pinky promise.

And it’s going to happen soon, because look who just registered for her first triathlon of the season.

Screen shot 2012-05-15 at 10.52.56 AM.png

Yep. The Crystal River Sprint Triathlon. I might be jumping the gun since it this race is at the end of the month, but it’s a sprint and I’m confident in my abilities to swim a 1/4 mile, bike 15 miles, and run 3 miles in the allotted time limit. It may not be fast – and it may not be pretty – but it’ll be fun to get back out there and remember why I enjoy doing triathlons. Think of it as my wake up call to get my booty into gear!

Plus, this race is extra special since the majority of my swim-mates are doing it too. I heard promises of floating down Rainbow River after the race – a promise I plan to hold them to!

CRS_logo_sm.jpg

Of course, I wouldn’t be ME if I didn’t have another crazy-challenge up my sleeve. I’ll blame this next one on my little brother. Can we say peer pressure? Because I totally succumb to it every time!

Last year, about this time, he had me registering for my first half ironman. And this year? TIme to start thinking about my second. πŸ˜‰

Miami703.jpg

Yep – another 70.3. Game on.

Screen shot 2012-05-15 at 11.38.48 AM.png

This October my little brother, sister, and I will be heading to Miami for our second 70.3 distance – Ironman 70.3 Miami 2012. This race is going to be a tad different than Augusta – mainly the swim portions. It’s an ocean swim that will make a big loop in the bay. We were spoiled in Augusta with a gentle freshwater swim, where you could basically float and make it to the transition point on time. This part has me nervous, but I know with proper swim training at the local beaches, it’s doable.

As a bonus, I won’t have to worry about crazy hill training since there aren’t any. It’s going to be a very flat ride.

I’ll probably register for one or two more races between now and Miami, but this will be my main race I’m gunning for. Everything else will just be for practice.

So those are my goals this summer – dive back into triathlon training and keep my eye on the Ironman 70.3 Miami prize. After that? Who knows. One big dream at a time, please. πŸ™‚

I guess it’s time I start working on a training plan then? Two-a-days, I did NOT miss you.

At least I have this video to keep me motivated.

If he can do it, so can I. (Just in a scaled back, not-as-insaned kinda way. πŸ˜‰ )

What are your race goals this summer?

Today’s lunch was inspired by the ham and cheese waffle sandwich I’ve seen at Disney World.

Only with egg instead of ham. πŸ˜‰

I had two halves of a waffle leftover from Sunday’s brunch and instead of eating them the traditional way, I thought it would be fun to make a waffle sandwich with them.

I’ve made egg sandwiches with frozen eggos (or eggo knock-offs) before, but eggos have a different texture than homemade waffles. For starters, they’re crunchy and a little easier to handle when toasted. Homemade waffles are soft and very bready (even when toasted).

I lightly toasted the leftover waffles and stacked two scrambled eggs, cheddar cheese, fresh sprouts, and a smear of pumpkin butter in the middle.

The sandwich was perfection. 100 times better than a plain eggo/egg sandwich and the perfect way to use up leftover waffles. Two thumbs WAY up. πŸ™‚

With the sandwich I also had two little pickles.

And a bag of Sun Chips.

Now THAT was a good lunch. πŸ™‚

1 Krissy @ Shiawase Life May 15, 2012 at 2:35 pm

That lunch looks great! Have a blast with your new training plans!! πŸ™‚
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..A Weekend β€˜Up North’

2 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat May 15, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Your wafflewich looks yummy! My race goal for this summer is to beat my half marathon PR of 1:33. It’s going to be tough, but I’ve just finished designing my training plan which will (fingers crossed, very very tight) prepare me to finish in sub 1:30. Good luck with tri season – I’m sure you’ve got many great races ahead!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Adventures in Sushi Making

3 Mary @ food and fun on the run May 15, 2012 at 2:48 pm

I can’t wait for Crystal River! I am going to come cheer you all on and take photos! And of course come to Rainbow River! Can’t wait!

I am sooo thankful we are taking on swimming together! It is nice having a swimming buddy that is not a pro, so we can learn everything together!
Mary @ food and fun on the run recently posted..Learning To Love It

4 Rhonda May 15, 2012 at 2:49 pm

SPROUTS WITH PUMPKIN BUTTER?! CHEESE WITH PUMPKIN BUTTER? EGGS WITH PUMPKIN BUTTER? You have got to be kidding me…I didn’t know it was possible to top your repulsive pairings but you’ve done it! You’ve really done it!

5 Meghann May 15, 2012 at 3:02 pm

haha – obviously you’ve never had eggs or cheese with jam. I promise I’m not a crazy one – it’s very common! πŸ™‚

6 Beverly Aragon May 15, 2012 at 3:37 pm

I can’t attest to the sprouts part…but egg, cheese and pumpkin butter really does make a VERY tasty sandwich combo! πŸ™‚

7 Rachel Wilkerson May 15, 2012 at 5:31 pm

This is the most awesomely overdramatic comment I think I’ve ever seen regarding someone’s food choices and every time I read it and imagine the person shouting this at the computer, it makes me laugh out loud.

Also, I’m a savory/sweet lover so I gotta say…eggs + cheese + a jam/jelly is an AWESOME combo. Can’t get on board with the sprouts though.
Rachel Wilkerson recently posted..{the life} Reading Into It

8 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City May 15, 2012 at 3:14 pm

I just started tri training and am already “loving” the two-a-days. I’ve had to sharpen up my time management skills to fit everything in.

I love waffle and egg sandwiches, especially with cheese and veggie bacon!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Back in the Groove

9 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions May 15, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Wowza! Girl, you are intense! Good luck with your tris…can’t wait to hear how they go!
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..Officially a Runner

10 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats May 15, 2012 at 3:27 pm

I love floating rivers, I would do that sprint right now if I got to float a river! So fun! And good luck on your second half ironman, I’m sure it will be amazing!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Feeling Jazzy?!

11 Jenny May 15, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Way to go Meghann!
I’m gearing up to do my first sprint triathlon this year!

12 Corey @ Learning Patience May 15, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Wow you are an ALL STAR! Way to push yourself! Good Luck girl!
Your wafflewich looks yummy – great idea!

xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..OPERATION LETTERS – We Need Your Help

13 Allie May 15, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Good luck on your goals! Sounds like your summer is going to be fun πŸ™‚
Why have I never thought of making a sandwich with waffles?! Your lunch looked so good! I’m going to give that a try with different foods since I’m not an egg fan πŸ™‚
Allie recently posted..Recovery

14 Meghann May 15, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Try it with chicken tenders for chicken and waffles or ham and cheese or just cheese and jam – the options are endless!

15 Jessica May 15, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Sounds like a fun summer. Good luck with your goals!
You should kick tri season off with going to this tonight: http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=6qi5lecab&v=001JbA8pPO1z-OQ5lC-dZUW_F1n_cNm5cIKz6Pi8g6eaX6urSbu0azqOPtycnz0gvtPC6gSTeyNYHxg_sjGEih6AXP6RSaI18-GAwDxfHoiRoegiUIKAskGhjLcKoMmM6m9xZXM0GB3tN5FUbJ5Yj3jR0J2vMHyYR4fr0qRHr2DzDM%3D
I can’t train yet. But I figured this clinic will help me get back in the groove. πŸ™‚
Jessica recently posted..Super Late Monday Matters

16 Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 15, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Yummy lunch!! I love the idea of using waffles as the bread in a sandwich. Yum!!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Does anyone actually enjoy bathing suit shopping?

17 Diana @run4life May 15, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Yay for triathlons! I just officially signed up for my first yesterday. I’m like you- I could run every day but have hardly swam or biked until about a week ago when I decided to take the triathlon plunge. It’s been kind of fun learning new sports though! Can’t wait to read about how your training goes.

18 christa May 15, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Miami 70.3 sounds like so much fun, plus you’ll have awesome choices for post-race celebrations! Yay!

I am doing my first full….IRONMAN TEXAS IN FOUR DAYS, AHHHHH!!

That is my only goal and then I plan to do nothing for a couple of months – maybe a sprint and Olympic at the end of the summer or early fall.
christa recently posted..Final prep, Pres. Obama, Nike, graduation, and training not at all.

19 MrsSwan May 15, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Rainbow River is AWESOME! You will be in my neck of the woods for that. πŸ™‚ They just built a boardwalk for the end of the river which makes it much nicer to get out of it. You really need to make Derek spectate during that race so he can float down with you. Make sure someone in your group brings a nylon rope to tie all your rafts together. If your going out the KP Hole make sure to follow the directions for outside food because they don’t play! (ie everything must be in reusable containers including drinks) Get there as early as you can after your tri. When the lot is full, the lot is full and they don’t take anymore people after that.
MrsSwan recently posted..Just pictures

20 Michelle May 15, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Yeah for you and the IM and tri! You rock girl! Speaking of tri did you announce the winner of the tri contest? I wanted to congratulate the winner! So exciting!!! I love the season of races/tri/biking!! Woo-HOOOO!!!!

21 Meghann May 16, 2012 at 3:24 pm

The winner was Laura! Sorry, posting was a little crazy last week so no official announcement was made, but she has collected her prize. πŸ™‚

22 Army Amy* May 15, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Dang! That dude is hardcore! The video almost makes me want to do a tri. Good luck with your training!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Sleep? What is sleep?

23 Brittany May 15, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Hi Megan, I’ve just gotten into triathlons and really appreciate all your recaps and training plan explanations, very inspiring!! I hope to do a 70.3 this year also, and you’ve shown me it’s very doable (with some hard work of course…). Can’t wait to hear more.

24 Melissa May 15, 2012 at 9:09 pm

I’ve never thought to make a sandwich with a waffle! Maybe that’s weird, but now I have to try it!
Melissa recently posted..Productive Morning

25 Cara @ I Don't Believe in Diets May 15, 2012 at 9:52 pm

wow that waffle sandwich looks like heaven. I wish I was able to come home for lunch to make that. But I guess I always have dinner. Yum!

26 Mary May 15, 2012 at 10:09 pm

I am doing my first sprint triathlon of the season the same day as yours! My water will be a little colder than yours here in Michigan – time to dust off the wetsuit. I am also doing a half ironman this summer (Vineman 70.3) in July thanks to your inspiration last year. Good luck in Miami…I tried an open water ocean swim in Indian Rocks Beach this past spring break. It is actually not bad – salt water makes you bouyant – but either the salt water taste or the waves made me nauseous

27 Meghan @ Run With Meg May 15, 2012 at 11:15 pm

I’ve never even thought of a waffle sandwich, what a great idea. It would probably be great with some chicken tenders, like chicken and waffles!

28 Marjorie May 15, 2012 at 11:17 pm

Neat Video, I can tell it was filmed on Oahu, I recognized Koko head stairs he was running up at one point…killer!

29 Annette @FitnessPerks May 18, 2012 at 10:58 am

FUN!! I am doing my FIRST Half IRONMAN in August. Can NOT wait! SO excited! I am a swimmer/runner, so I am working on my cycling skills for sure. But of course training in all three πŸ™‚
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Recent Quirks Discovered