Just 20 miles. No big deal.

by Meghann on April 14, 2012

Holy moly.

IMG_1974.JPG

20 miles.

3 hours. 54 seconds.

9:02 min/mile pace.

Done.

Those 20 miles were officially the fastest 20 miles I’ve ever run in a training run. Cue the post-run celebrating complete with the promise of beer and beach time later. Beer? Beach? Now? Pretty please…

My alarm was set for 5:30, but I didn’t start my run until after 6:00. I had an english muffin with almond butter, fig jam, and dried cherries on my way out the door.

IMG_1964.JPG

Then the real fun began.

Instead of wrapping it up in a big pretty bow, I’m going to give it to you straight – that was hard. It was hot, the sun was out, and I had to refill my water bottle 4 different times. My feet hurt, my back hurt, and my stomach grumbled. The side of my big toe is now home to a lovely blood blister and I could feel it with every step. 20 miles is a long distance and 3 hours is a long time to be on your feet.

It was hard – sometimes even painful – but, you know what? I survived. Heck, I more than survived – I ran 20 freakin’ miles at a 9:02 pace! All that pain and mentally pushing myself was worth it. It’s always worth it.

Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE doing long runs with friends or training groups, but I also enjoy running them by myself. It’s easier to practice pacing myself and there aren’t as many distractions. It’s as if I’m really practicing for what it’s going to like on race day. Want a good long run time? Try one by yourself. 🙂

I ate an entire packet of sports beans on my run (I had a mini handful at every water stop) and downed a Strawberry Drink Chia as soon as I walked in the door.

IMG_1968.JPG

The creator of Drink Chia actually came up with the recipe for the drink while she was training for the Disney Marathon. She had one after all of her long runs and found it just as refreshing as Gatorade and the chia bonus helped aide in the recovery process. Personally I just think they taste good. 🙂

I filled my plate high for breakfast.

IMG_1977.JPG

3 egg scramble omelet with spinach, sun dried tomatoes, and feta cheese.

IMG_1979.JPG

One granny smith apple with peanut butter

IMG_1981.JPG

And a biscuit with strawberry jelly.

IMG_1984.JPG

Amazing.

IMG_1989.JPG

My parents just arrived and I plan to spend the rest of the chilling and relaxing with them.

Have a great Saturday!

1 Sam @ Fit for My Fork April 14, 2012 at 11:52 am

Congratulations on your 20 mile run. What an accomplishment! I hope you feel so awesome right now!
Sam @ Fit for My Fork recently posted..Primal and Not-so-Primal Pot Pies

2 Army Amy* April 14, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Congrats! Take it easy the rest if the day; you more than earned it!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Goooooooooals

3 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 14, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Congrats!!! Is it weird I’m jealous you ran 20 miles this morning?? I can’t wait to start my marathon training for Chicago!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..I Went For It…

4 Allison April 14, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Way to go girl!
Allison recently posted..Friday Confessions

5 Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride April 14, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Holy moly, congrats! 20 miles done! Hope you enjoy a well deserved relaxing day full of food and beer!
Caitlin @ This Bride’s Joyride recently posted..Bing bang boom!

6 Pam April 14, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Great job! Enjoy relaxing the rest of the day.

7 Carrie April 14, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Woo – congrats on getting it done!
Carrie recently posted..My First Recovery Run

8 Christy April 14, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Great job on your long run!

9 Allie April 14, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Doesn’t it feel good to get 20 miles in? We did about 15 today, we will do 22 next week! Only 22 days til the Pig! Keep up the great work! Hopefully your are getting some hill work in because the Eden Park hill is a good one!
Allie recently posted..Twenty Miles

10 Julianna @ Julianna Bananna April 14, 2012 at 2:17 pm

great job on the 20 miles- you’re one tough cookie!

that post-run breakfast looks amazing!!
Julianna @ Julianna Bananna recently posted..Spring Break Loves

11 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 14, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Whoo-hoo!! Congratulations! Awesome job. Now enjoy the rest of your weekend! 😉
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..The perfect springtime dessert.

12 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run April 14, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Keep it up! If you were racing, that sub 4 would be IN THE BAG. 🙂
Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run recently posted..Fourth and Final

13 Jen@FoodFamilyFitness April 14, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Thanks for not wrapping it up in a pretty bow! I always hate reading how “perfect” runs are, when most of the time I want to cry because it’s hot and tiring and I’m sore and then feel bad because I seem to be the only one.
Enjoy the rest of your day 🙂
Jen@FoodFamilyFitness recently posted..Two Years

14 Xiomara @ parkesdale April 14, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Twenty Miles! By yourself! WOW! My longest run was 8 miles while a friend was training for her first half marathon. Still, I’m inspired to some day be able to run 13.1. Congrats!
Xiomara @ parkesdale recently posted..Strawberry Shortcake…everyone’s favorite dessert

15 Kayla Moothart April 14, 2012 at 5:35 pm

NICE! I just did my last long run last weekend! I am officially in taper! 2 weeks until marathon race day!

16 Courtney April 14, 2012 at 5:39 pm

This run was so inspiring! And so were those eats afterwards! Damn, you should be proud of your fast butt!
Courtney recently posted..Tramp Stamp

17 Socal Rachel April 14, 2012 at 5:44 pm

When I grow up I want to be a fast runner like you. 🙂
Socal Rachel recently posted..Return to Bangkok: Plan B – Jan 20

18 Jessica Krogman April 14, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Good job on the long run! Lots of people here in Cincinnati out doing long runs today getting ready for the pig and we had HEAVY downpours all day. My boss said she was drenched after her long run. This will be her 14th Flying Pig. She’s what they call a streaker b/c she’s a run every Flying Pig. I am doing my long run tomorrow to get read for the half.
Jessica Krogman recently posted..I Love Carbs

19 Kathy April 14, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Super Dee Duper! UGH…I ran 6 miles today and thought that was PLENTY!

Next Saturday is my EARTH Day Half…kind of excited ..kind of not…only my second half ever!! Praying and hoping it all goes well and I finish at least a minute better than before….really any thing better would be progress. 😉
Kathy recently posted..I like ChAnGe!!

20 Kim April 14, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Wow..great job! You’re awesome!!!
Kim recently posted..A little bit too much fun

21 Sara@RunningInPinkProject April 14, 2012 at 11:17 pm

20 miles…I cant even imagine that! Congrats! Breakfast looked amazing. (Well deserved too!)
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..Saturday Mish Mosh

22 Part Time House Wife April 15, 2012 at 7:25 am

I NEED your ambition to run! I LOVE it, but have lost my mojo this year. I just can’t get to get on a training plan and I do have a half in 2 weeks! How did you find a good running group? I don’t have any friends that are into running, so it makes it hard to always push things to the side to fit a good long run.
And CONGRATS on that pace! Thats awesome for a 20 miler?!??!?!
Part Time House Wife recently posted..“Crack Dip” A.K.A Buffalo Chicken Dip

23 allpointswhole April 15, 2012 at 9:35 am

Great job on your 20 miles!! Love me some long runs

24 Jules April 16, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Congratulations! 20 miles…awesome!
Jules recently posted..Update…on everything!

25 Emily N April 16, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Nice job. See you here in my city in less than 3 weeks! We ran 75% of the course on Saturday in our group. And YES it is going to be tough. 🙂
Emily N recently posted..Marathon Training: Week 15 in Review