more ยป" />

Adios New Rules of Lifting for Women

by Meghann on April 9, 2012

Done. Finish. Over. Complete. That’s it.

This morning I had my very last New Rules of Lifting for Women workout. Can you believe it? I’ve been following this workout program for sooooo long, I wasn’t even sure it was ever going to end.

What started out as a 6- month program last May, turned into an 11-month NROLFW adventure. I wasn’t as faithful to the program as I should have been, I managed to train for a half ironman, a full marathon, and a new half marathon PR along the way, and there’s the whole stretching the program out as long as possible deal, but I did it. I set a goal and I achieved it. Even with the ups and downs, I saw the program through to the very end and I’m proud of myself for that.

Today’s workout was a little bittersweet because I knew that it was the end, but it was also a little exciting for the same reason. I’m ready to move on and try something new. I want to keep up with strength training regularly, but if this program taught me anything, it’s that I need to follow some sort of program to stick with it. What will that new program be? I’m not sure yet, but I’ll figure it out. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I’m going to let my final thoughts on NROLFW marinate for a little bit before posting my conclusion. I’ll probably have it up sometime this week, until then you can check out my NROLFW page for past updates.

I celebrated my final NROLFW workout with a protein-packed sweet breakfast.

I made a new discovery in the kitchen – mixing chocolate protein powder (I use the whey Whole Foods brand) with my regular PB2 “sauce” (PB2 + milk) tastes just like a Reeses. It’s especially delicious when poured over leftover fruit salad, plain greek yogurt, and sprinkled with walnuts and granola.

Divine. It was like eating candy for breakfast. ๐Ÿ™‚

I hope everyone is recovering smoothly from their holiday weekends. How was your Easter? Did you do anything exciting? We kept it pretty chill around here with a birthday breakfast party in the morning (Derek turned the big 2-8 yesterday) and a traditional Easter dinner in the evening.

Now it’s time to conquer the new week.

Have a great Monday everyone!

1 Krissy @ Shiawase Life April 9, 2012 at 10:26 am

Have a great week, Meghann! I am impressed with your dedication to the program, with all of your traveling and adventures ๐Ÿ™‚ here’s to the next!!
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..Garmin Connect vs. Nike+

2 Steph @ StephSnacks April 9, 2012 at 10:30 am

Congrats on completing New Rules! My Easter was very relaxing, spent with my parents ๐Ÿ™‚
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..Spring Has Sprung!

3 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 9, 2012 at 10:33 am

Congrats on finally finishing! I bet that feels good!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Treadmill vs. Outdoor Running

4 Niki@justrunninwithit April 9, 2012 at 10:37 am

I need to try this PB2!!!
Niki@justrunninwithit recently posted..Why hello weekend

5 Sarah W April 9, 2012 at 10:39 am

I highly recommend Jamie Eason’s 12 week Live Fit trainer as your next program to follow ๐Ÿ™‚ its awesome

6 Yellow Haired Girl April 9, 2012 at 10:42 am

Breakfast that tastes like candy?! I’m in ๐Ÿ˜‰ enjoy your Monday!

7 Cat @ Breakfast to Bed April 9, 2012 at 10:53 am

wow. That’s dedication. It would’ve taken me 3 years.
Cat @ Breakfast to Bed recently posted..A Pox Upon Your Blahniks.

8 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City April 9, 2012 at 10:55 am

Congrats on finishing NROLFW! I’ve never been able to stick to a strength training plan for more than a few weeks so I’m super impressed with how you kept up with NROLFW!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Boston Marathon: Taper {1 week to go}

9 Shannon April 9, 2012 at 10:56 am

Got a suggestion for ya:

It’s specifically for runners, and it’s HARD. I’m starting out doing about half the workout and am hoping to build up to the full thing at some point. The above link has videos demonstrating the moves, and someone in the comments typed the whole workout into a PDF that he’s generously sharing on Google Docs.

In general, I really like it…but it’s not perfect.

1. I don’t like how they do the sit-ups: they go all the way up, and my back can’t handle that. I do crunches instead.
2. I don’t like burpees (in general), but especially at the end of the workout when I’m already spent! It seems like an invitation to face-plant, so I do those more near the beginning of the workout.

10 Meghann April 9, 2012 at 10:59 am

Thanks Shannon!

11 Erika@YouJustDidWhat April 9, 2012 at 11:13 am

How exciting to finish it!
We dyed eggs, made food, went to church. Fun stuff.
Erika@YouJustDidWhat recently posted..weekend recap & BANANA CREAM PIE in instagram

12 Erin April 9, 2012 at 11:16 am

Strength training plan suggestion: Rachel Cosgrove’s Female Body Breakthrough. Charlotte at The Great Fitness Experiment LOVES this one…even more than NROLW. I have the book but haven’t started on it yet.

Looking forward to your thoughts on NROLW!
Erin recently posted..Having Fun

13 Cait's Plate April 9, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I’m Greek Orthodox so I haven’t had my Easter yet (it’s this weekend) but I had a pretty enjoyable Sunday nonetheless!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Creative Movement

14 Emily N April 9, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Congrats on finishing the program! I look forward to hearing how you continue to incorporate strength training!
Emily N recently posted..Marathon Training: Week 14 in Review

15 Julie @ Wearing Mascara April 9, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Hi lady – congrats on finishing the program! I’m really looking forward to your final recap. I’ve been reading them all!

16 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife April 9, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Nice job completing it!! I’d check out Jamie Eason’s 12 week LiveFit Trainer–I’ve heard good things (and checked it out myself)!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Eggs and Blood Cholesterol

17 Reese at RunRunReese.com April 9, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Nice job on the workout! And what a yummy looking breakfast!

18 Heather April 9, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Congrats on finishing the program! The PB2 with chocolate sounds so good.
Heather recently posted..Happy Easter Weekend!

19 Army Amy* April 9, 2012 at 6:00 pm

I’m impressed that you stuck it out for so long! That’s dedication!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Tal Morrison 15k Race Recap

20 Carrie April 9, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Wow, that breakfast sound amazing! Congrats on finishing the program!
Carrie recently posted..Taking the plunge: Making chickpea cookie dough dip

21 Jenna @Eating Green, Staying Lean April 10, 2012 at 3:37 pm

The Insanity workout series is pretty awesome! Cardio + Strength ๐Ÿ™‚ Just started Month 2, and I feel awesome!
Jenna @Eating Green, Staying Lean recently posted..Short โ€˜nโ€™ Sweet