The Secrets Behind My Dad’s Famous Sausage Gravy

by Meghann on April 8, 2012

Happy Birthday Derek!

IMG_1811.jpg

Hubba. Hubba. 28 has never looked better. πŸ˜‰

Whenever Derek and I visit my parents, the #1 thing he looks forward to is the sausage gravy my Dad makes almost every time we’re at home. He LOVES the stuff and usually goes back for seconds or thirds, which really isn’t a surprise because, well, my Dad’s sausage gravy rocks.

What Derek didn’t realize before was that I can make sausage gravy too. In fact, my Dad taught me everything he knows. I kept this secret to myself. πŸ˜‰ For his birthday this morning, I decided to throw him a little breakfast party full of his morning favorites – omelets, biscuits, and – of course – sausage gravy. πŸ˜‰

First of all, the trick to good sausage gravy is starting with TWO packages of sausage.

Double the sausage = double the grease = tastier gravy. FYI: this is NOT a healthy recipe. πŸ˜‰

Place one package of sausage to the side and slice the other.

Another trick from my Dad – slice the sausage right through the packaging. This way you’ll end up with perfect sausage patties.

The patties go straight into a hot skillet

and cook until they’re no longer pink on the inside. You usually want a nice brown exterior.

Remove the patties from the pan, but leave the grease. Place the patties to the side – or start eating them – you are done with them.

Now it’s time for the second package of sausage. I usually slit the package right down the middle and let it fall right into the greasy pan. Then I’ll break it up with the spatula as I would with ground beef.

Once the sausage crumbles are cooked, it’s time for the flour. You want to add 2-3 heaping spoonfuls of all purpose flour to the sausage.

The flour should be enough to soak up the greasy and lightly coat the sausage.

Last, but not least, pour enough whole milk over the sausage to cover everything. Season with lots of pepper.

I usually bring the gravy to a light boil, then down to a simmer to thicken up. Sometimes it needs more milk, sometimes it doesn’t. It depends on how thick of a gravy you’re looking for. πŸ™‚

Best served over buttermilk biscuits.

Yum. πŸ™‚

We had quite the birthday breakfast party. Derek’s brother’s family joined us, as well as our friend Stephanie. With the biscuits and gravy, we also had mimosas, fruit salad and a mini omelet station set up.

Stephanie and I were dubbed the omelet queens.

IMG_1787.jpg

Each guest selected what they wanted and we had two pans going for omelets. It was a pretty good system that worked out great. I’m not saying the omelets were pretty, but they sure did taste good. πŸ˜‰

Can’t forget the mimosas!

IMG_1785.jpg

My plate

My omelet had olives, spinach, onion, mushrooms, sun dried tomatoes, cheddar cheese, and goat cheese. It was delicious. Thank you, Stephanie! πŸ™‚

I wish I had taken more photos of our birthday breakfast party, but I was too busy running around in the kitchen to snap any good shots. Oh, well.

It was a fabulous get together and the perfect way to kick off easter morning. Now we’re off to continue the birthday/ easter celebrations!

Happy Easter everyone!

1 Aleasha April 8, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Happy Birthday Derek!
Looks so good….Can’t wait to try the sausage gravy!
Aleasha recently posted..I’d rather have Chocolate

2 Becca April 8, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Sounds like a perfect birthday breakfast!!! Looks tasty πŸ™‚ have a great day.
Becca recently posted..Pavlova

3 Cait's Plate April 8, 2012 at 1:55 pm

I don’t blame Derek for looking forward to that either!! I look forward to it when you have it every time and I don’t even get to EAT it! πŸ™‚

Happy birthday to Derek!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Baked

4 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 8, 2012 at 2:05 pm

That looks like a delicious birthday breakfast! Haha and I bet that sausage gravy is amazing!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Bunnies, Chicks and Eggs, Oh My!

5 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 8, 2012 at 2:20 pm

You’re going to be such a good wifey haha! πŸ˜‰ Happy Birthday to Derek!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..He has Risen!

6 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City April 8, 2012 at 2:29 pm

What a great way to start celebrating Derek’s birthday and Easter. Looks delicious!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..When to Work Out and When to Take a Break

7 Hillary April 8, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Happy Birthday, Derek!

Any birthday that starts with mimosas and biscuits is a good birthday.
Hillary recently posted..Spring Break Top Five

8 Niki@justrunninwithit April 8, 2012 at 3:03 pm

That gravy looks amazing!!!
Niki@justrunninwithit recently posted..Why hello weekend

9 Lisa April 8, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Happy Birthday to Derek!
And Happy Easter πŸ™‚
Lisa recently posted..Struggling with Strength

10 Jessica April 8, 2012 at 3:34 pm

That sausage gravy looks AHH-MAZ-INGGG! I went vegetarian last summer and one if the things I miss the most is my grandpa’s sausage gravy which he made the same way. I need to figure out a veg version.
Jessica recently posted..Custom CSS gets an upgrade

11 Sara@RunningInPinkProject April 8, 2012 at 5:01 pm

People seriously do not use breakfast/brunch enough for parties! Looks awesome. πŸ™‚ Its such a fun and inexpensive way to have people over. Im especially impressed (as a born and raised in WV girl) when people can make good gravy. I dont eat it often but when I do I want it to be gooood!
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..Easter Weekend With The Fam

12 VanessaG April 8, 2012 at 7:49 pm

I’m a southern girl and I grew up eating biscuits and gravy every Saturday morning! My mom makes it the exact same way(even same brand of sausage) except she uses hot, not regular. My dad says he would like it to be his last meal! My bro (soph at Virginia Tech) requests it everytime he comes home. When I was in college, my roommate ( Northerner) came home with me. She never had it, so my mom made it. She loved it!! Good times, good food, and a tradition that will pass from generation to generation. Eat up!!

13 Anne April 8, 2012 at 7:53 pm

I love sausage gravy! My mother in law in the master and makes it every summer when we’re at the lake house. It’s everyone’s favorite morning treat. Then we all take a long nap πŸ™‚
Anne recently posted..We’re All Yogis Here

14 Brittney April 8, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Southern cooking at its finest lol. My mom makes sausage gravy sometimes, but I don’t like gravy! It still looks tasty!

15 Katie April 8, 2012 at 10:07 pm

I don’t blame you for not having pictures! We were all so busy talking and eating that I never got a chance to break out the camera! However, I do have a nice tupperware of leftovers that I plan to that a picture of!
Katie recently posted..Beginning Training and Having Fun!

16 Liz April 8, 2012 at 11:55 pm

Happy Birthday, Derek! The sausage gravy looks delicious, by the way. It may not be healthy, but I’m sure it’s tasty! πŸ™‚

17 Emily N April 9, 2012 at 8:52 am

An omelette sounds so good right now… Hmm… I might have to scrap my original dinner plan (which involved the grill) in favor of eggs.
Emily N recently posted..Back to Strong

18 Mariah April 9, 2012 at 10:54 am

Your gravy is white?!!?!?!?!?

19 Meghann April 9, 2012 at 11:00 am
20 Mariah April 9, 2012 at 11:04 am

Looks very tasty but never in my life have I seen white gravy before!

21 Sloane @ My Life in Florida April 9, 2012 at 1:17 pm

My grandpa does the same thing for his sausage gravy!! Oh this is making me miss home:( Looks great tho!
Sloane @ My Life in Florida recently posted..Lighthouse Tour and Sad Goodbye! πŸ™

22 Jules April 9, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Yum…looks fantastic! Happy Birthday Derek!
Jules recently posted..Victoria Wood & Warcraft…

23 Natalie June 19, 2014 at 6:17 pm

Ok so the first round of sausage patties has nothing to do with the gravy, right? You just use them for another use and use the grease from them for the gravy? My husband loves biscuits and gravy so I want to get it right! ha ha!

24 Meghann June 20, 2014 at 10:05 am

Yep, the first round of sausage patties is just for the grease. Enjoy!