Reester Bunny

by Meghann on April 8, 2012

Nothing says Easter like a chocolate bunny. Even better… a chocolate bunny with peanut butter in the middle. Yes, please. πŸ˜‰

Derek and I had to run a couple of errands this afternoon and discovered the ‘Reester Bunny’ in Wal-Mart. I was feeling homesick since I wasn’t at home to receive an Easter basket this year (Yes, my parents still give us Easter baskets), so Derek bought the chocolate bunny so I could have at least one piece of Easter candy to nibble on. Isn’t he the sweetest?

Don’t let the photo fool you, the chocolate bunny was bigger than the photo lets on. It was also extremely rich. Derek had the ears and I took the bunny head. It was just about as much peanut butter and chocolate as we could handle, but it was also amazing.

Reester Bunny = Easter win. πŸ™‚

We joined Derek’s parents this afternoon for Easter linner.

I wish I could remember who it was, but someone had tweeted earlier this week about what it was about holidays that made it appropriate to have dinner at 3:00pm. Even though I do understand why holiday meals tend to be early bird specials (people are traveling, it’s a big meal and people need time to digest, timing of dishes, etc) it still made me laugh because it is true – holiday meals tend to be ‘linner’ time. Fine by me, I was ready to eat. πŸ˜‰

So much good food this year. We feasted on casseroles and ham before promptly passing out in front of the tv (I believe I ended up taking a solid 30 minutes nap on the couch). Then it was onto dessert.

IMG_1799.JPG IMG_1800.JPG

Blueberry Pie (Derek calls it blueberry pie, but I’m not sure if ‘pie’ is the appropriate name?) the birthday boy’s favorite.

The blueberry ‘pie’ was something Derek’s grandmother once made for all of his birthdays growing up and is still a birthday tradition his mother continues. The pie is basically a sugar cookie type crust with a homemade blueberry filling in the middle and fresh whipped cream on top. Derek talks this pie up throughout the year and looks forward to his birthday just so he can have some of his grandmother’s blueberry pie.

For as long as we’ve known each other (6+ years) I’ve known of this pie, but I’ve never actually tried it. That changed tonight. I had my first piece and I could finally see what all the fuss was about – the blueberry pie was mouthwatering delicious. I’ll have to get the exact recipe from his mother so I can continue the birthday tradition as well one day. πŸ™‚

I think all of the Easter and birthday festivities wore Maggie out.

I feel ya Maggie – they wore me out too. We lingered awhile before finally making our way home with out bellies still full and ready to call it an early night.

Good night everyone!

1 Krissy - Shiawase Life April 8, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Chocolate + PB = always the best! I had a PB Fudge milkshake today…splurge but definitely awesome πŸ˜€
Krissy – Shiawase Life recently posted..28.

2 Sana April 8, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Oh that “pie” looks soooo good!
Sana recently posted..Hunger Games and Eggplant Curry

3 MrsSwan April 8, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Is there a cheesecake layer in there too? Between the cookie crust and blueberries. Will you share the recipe when you get it? πŸ™‚ Looks yummy!
MrsSwan recently posted..Hoppy Easter

4 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City April 8, 2012 at 11:12 pm

Reeses eggs, pumpkins, Christmas trees etc. are always so much better than the usual reeses cups (which are already delicious). Maybe its the peanut butter to chocolate ratio??

That pie looks amazing. I love blueberry anything, especially baked goods πŸ™‚
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Boston Marathon: Taper {1 week to go}

5 Carrie April 8, 2012 at 11:51 pm

Aw, poor Meggie looks so tuckered out!
Carrie recently posted..Weekly Wrap-up

6 Liz April 8, 2012 at 11:57 pm

I LOVE Reester Bunnies πŸ™‚

7 Chuck April 9, 2012 at 2:02 am

Happy Easter!

8 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama April 9, 2012 at 6:00 am

You can never go wrong with Reese’s! I can’t wait to hit up Target for the after Easter clearance to stock up my freezer. The eggs and trees for Christmas taste so much better than the regular cups(although still awesome!).
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Easter Eggs and Spring Hiking

9 Katie April 9, 2012 at 7:15 am

Maggie is ADORABLE! Is she part Bichon? She looks similar to my dog who is a Bichon-Poodle mix. And that “pie” looks amazing.

10 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope April 9, 2012 at 7:29 am

Yum! That Reese’s bunny looks delicious. Chocolate and peanut butter is the best combination ever! That pie looks really good too πŸ™‚
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Talk Behind Your Back…

11 Sara @my less serious life April 9, 2012 at 7:40 am

a reester bunny? for as much as i love reeses – i’ve never heard of that one. looks great though!

12 Cait April 9, 2012 at 7:58 am

ooh i would love a recipe for that pie! nom nom nom lol

13 Emily N April 9, 2012 at 8:41 am

Your Reester bunny looks pretty delicious. As does the blueberry “pie”.
Emily N recently posted..Back to Strong

14 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats April 9, 2012 at 8:41 am

Glad you had a great Easter! Haha and I don’t get the 3pm dinner thing, but I guess we never have people traveling home afterwards!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Treadmill vs. Outdoor Running

15 Sarah @BlondeBostonian April 9, 2012 at 9:17 am

Haha I felt exactly like Maggie yesterday, too.
Sarah @BlondeBostonian recently posted..Weekend in Review: Photo Edition

16 Hillary April 9, 2012 at 9:20 am

I’m actually considering going to the store to buy Easter candy today—you know, the 50% off leftovers that they’re sure to have!
Hillary recently posted..Spring Break Top Five

17 Meghann April 9, 2012 at 9:25 am

I was already there! Stocked up for my sister’s bridal shower in a couple of weeks. πŸ™‚

18 Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon April 9, 2012 at 9:29 am

I like to think of it as dinner for lunch and dessert for dinner πŸ™‚
Jamie @ Don’t Forget the Cinnamon recently posted..One inspiration, two lunches.

19 Part Time House Wife April 9, 2012 at 9:58 am

Too Funny! I had Easter “Linner” @ 3:00 at our house too! I guess I never thought about it but it is sorta funny that 3 is the assumed Holiday Dinner Time!
Part Time House Wife recently posted..Taco Roll Ups

20 Cait's Plate April 9, 2012 at 1:13 pm

There are few things in life that beat the Reese’s Easter Egg in my book…but I think this bunny might have just taken it’s place in my heart πŸ™‚
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Creative Movement

21 The Many Thoughts of a Reader April 9, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Yum. That looks delicious. I don’t like pie but even that ‘pie’ looks good to me!

22 Alison April 9, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Gotta love Reese’s!! Chocolate and PB is my favourite combo. I had to laugh about “linner” because we totally invited our company over at 4:30 on Sunday. To our credit though, we didn’t eat until 5:30 so I feel slightly better about that. πŸ™‚
Alison recently posted..Baked Sweet Potato Bar

23 Katie April 9, 2012 at 8:50 pm

What is that dish withe hard boiled eggs in it? Looks delicious!