Fried Green Tomato Eggs Benedict

by Meghann on April 5, 2012

Man. What a day.

I’m not sure if I’ve mentioned this on the blog or not, but a few weeks ago I was hired as the event coordinator for the upcoming Social Mobile Payments conference in Orlando. The conference is next week and we’re pretty much down to the wire with taking care of all the remaining honey-dos before the kick off on Tuesday.

I spent the majority of the afternoon with Bruce (the SMP head honcho) finalizing hotel budget, room set-ups, and timelines. The meeting went great (we got our numbers under budget – woo hoo!), but it was a long meeting, which is why I disappeared today. πŸ™‚

Don’t worry. I can make up for the disappearing act with this:

Fried Green Tomato Eggs Benedict

Originally I was going to make a fried green tomato sandwich. Then I decided to add egg. Then I thought I would eat it open face. Then I realized I was just making an eggs benedict without the hollandaise sauce.

It all started with a green tomato.

which was sliced

and dipped in an egg wash then coated in a cornmeal/whole wheat flour/ cajun seasoning mix.

The breaded green tomato sliced baked for 20 minutes at 415 (flipping at 10 minutes)

IMG_1679.jpg

The fried green tomatoes were added to the toasted english muffin and topped with provolone cheese, fried eggs, and salsa (who need hollandaise sauce when you have salsa? πŸ˜‰ )

A-Ma-Zing πŸ™‚ This southern version of eggs benedict gets two thumbs up. πŸ™‚

What’s your favorite out-of-the-ordinary eggs benedict combination?

Oh, and bonus points for mixing the extra batter up and making a cornmeal cake (fritter?)

My dad used to always make these with the extra batter when I was a kid. They were always my favorite part of the meal. I mean, it’s basically just fried dough, what’s not to love?

My lunch plate was complete with apple slices and fresh green beans.

Yum. And Yum.

I learned something today – trying to drive from Clearwater to Tampa at 5:00pm is not a good idea. The trip took me almost an hour and a half (gulp) and required a stop at Publix. Stuck in traffic + grumbling belly = BAD combination. The Luna bar helped.

Dinner was easy.

Black bean and sweet potato tacos with spinach and cheese.

Roasted radishes (sounds strange, but actually pretty tasty)

Chocolate for dessert

πŸ™‚

*I updated the wedding page today with my 9-month check-in*

The weekend is almost here! I’m ready for it. πŸ™‚

Good night everyone!

1 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama April 5, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Roasted radishes actually do sound good. I can’t believe I never thought of that!
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Random Thursday Facts

2 Jamie April 5, 2012 at 9:49 pm

I <3 roasted radishes.

I bought a bag of them one time off the discount rack at the grocery store next to my work, went home and roasted them. FELL IN LOVE. Went the next day and bought 3 more bags, and when another lady asked what I was doing with all of them. I told her I roast them which just makes them awesome. She had never heard of that so she bought some to try.

3 Jessica Krogman April 5, 2012 at 10:12 pm

I must make the fried greem tomato eggs benedict. Holy yum, that looks good!
Jessica Krogman recently posted..Pug Face

4 Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio April 5, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Yummy!! Great idea.
Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio recently posted..Happy First Birthday!

5 xiomara @ Parkesdale April 5, 2012 at 10:28 pm

I just had a customer ask if we had radishes because they were wanting to roast them in order to cut back on carbs. By the way, we tried your ground turkey meatball recipe yesterday…so good! My husband does not like ground turkey very much, but he almost ate all of the meatballs!
xiomara @ Parkesdale recently posted..Spring is here…or is it summer already?

6 Niki@justrunninwithit April 5, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Your eggs look awesome. I’m a big fan of eggs Benny with turkey sausage!
Niki@justrunninwithit recently posted..Netflix love.

7 Rachel April 5, 2012 at 10:42 pm

I don’t get it.. if the tomatoes aren’t fried, and there’s no hollandaise for the benedict, how is that “fried green tomato eggs benedict?” I get what you’re going for, but if none of the elements match the name of the dish, why not just call it something else?

8 Meghann April 6, 2012 at 10:25 am

Honestly, because I couldn’t come up with a more creative name. πŸ˜‰ The principles of the eggs benedict are still there – english muffin, egg, sauce – but a few ingredients are swapped out. Just like referring to stacked layers of tortillas and meat as ‘taco lasagna’ even if lasagna noodles aren’t actually involved. πŸ™‚

9 Katie April 5, 2012 at 11:12 pm

I didn’t know Bruce is your honey… how’s Derek’s taking the news?

10 Meghann April 6, 2012 at 10:21 am

ha. that’s a good one. my Dad always calls task list honey-dos and I guess I just inherited that from him. I will be sure to keep as far away from the phrase as possible in the future.

11 Carrie April 5, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Isn’t that flavor of Luna bar amazing??
Carrie recently posted..Long Run Recap

12 Shannon April 6, 2012 at 2:21 am

Wow..that meal looks delicious. I love eggs bennedict but never make it for myself since poached eggs are kind of a pain. It’s usually my out to brunch staple and always a delicious treat! I am definitely craving it with some fried green tomatoes now though!
Shannon recently posted..Flying South for Easter

13 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 6, 2012 at 7:30 am

I love how many DIFFERENT vegetables you use in your meals! Do you just go to the grocery store, close your eyes, and point?? I feel like I need to work on bringing more of a variety home, but when I get to the store, I feel overwhelmed and usually just pick the same things I always do!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Just call me Shakira.

14 Meghann April 6, 2012 at 10:30 am

I guess I just get bored always buying the same veggies. It’s fun to experiment and try new things!

15 Casey April 6, 2012 at 7:38 am

Eggs benedict with a crabcake instead of the canadian bacon.. how do you top that?

16 Meghann April 6, 2012 at 10:31 am

That’s sounds like a Baltimore version of eggs benedict πŸ™‚

17 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope April 6, 2012 at 7:39 am

I love radishes. I’ve never roasted them before or even thought to. Definitely have to try it! πŸ™‚
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..A Spaghetti Squash Kind Of Night…

18 Emily N April 6, 2012 at 7:56 am

I love the way your recipe evolved today. Looks yummy though!
Emily N recently posted..Rachel’s shower update!

19 Cait @ Beyond Bananas April 6, 2012 at 7:58 am

I always think of the movie Fried Green Tomatoes when I see them. Even though I don’t think I ever saw it.. AND have no idea what it is about
Cait @ Beyond Bananas recently posted..Suddenly, it Seems so Much More Real

20 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 6, 2012 at 8:10 am

All the food you eat looks so good! I need to work on my creativity!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Tips for New Bloggers

21 Sara @my less serious life April 6, 2012 at 8:31 am

i roasted radishes this winter on a whim and i agree – they are surprisingly yummy!

22 Kathy April 6, 2012 at 8:49 am

Seriously…..YUM!
Kathy recently posted..A year ago….

23 Angela April 6, 2012 at 9:27 am

Do green tomatoes taste much different then red ones??
Angela recently posted..Custom CSS gets an upgrade

24 Meghann April 6, 2012 at 10:34 am

Yes, they’re a little tougher raw, which is why you want to bake/fry them. They’re also a little milder in flavor and not as juicy.

25 Meg April 6, 2012 at 9:28 am

I’m not sure you understand what a “honey do” list is. Isn’t this your JOB?! I would never refer to something I do at work as marking something off on my honey do list. Odd.

26 Meghann April 6, 2012 at 9:58 am

It’s funny you say that because my dad’s employees always joke about the ‘honey do’ lists my dad gives them. And that’s exactly what my dad calls them – honey dos. They joke because my dad’s ‘honey dos’ are actually not what you want to be handed because those are the least fun tasks to do because they’re the most difficult.

27 Angela April 6, 2012 at 9:29 am

I always was curious. Do green tomatoes taste much different then red ones??
Angela recently posted..Custom CSS gets an upgrade

28 Cait's Plate April 6, 2012 at 9:32 am

Mmmm that looks like one heck of a day of eats right there!

I know I say this all the time, but I will never get over how creative you are in the kitchen!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Tired Traveler

29 Corey @ Learning Patience April 6, 2012 at 9:48 am

hmmmm…never had a fried green tomato…weird too because I love tomatoes…gotta remind myself to try that asap.

xoxo from Michigan (still)
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Life is Too Short to NOT Be SILLY

30 Amy @ Pinning my Pinterest April 10, 2012 at 1:07 pm

I’ve heard of the “honey-do”….we usually say it when it’s something you are doing for your ‘honey’…..therefore – the honey “DO” list.
Amy @ Pinning my Pinterest recently posted..Buffalo Chicken Wraps