Nut Butter Encrusted Fries Return!

by Meghann on April 3, 2012

Oh, nut butter encrusted parsnip and carrot fries (say that 5 times fast!), where have you been for the last year? I missed you!

I spotted a bag of parsnips at the grocery store on Sunday that reminded me it had been a while since I last made my beloved nut butter encrusted parsnip and carrot fries (recipe here). I’m not sure why – these fries are pretty easy to make and are freaking delicious. Maybe it was the mini-obsessive craze I went thought a couple of years where I was making them at least once a week? Too much of a good thing, perhaps?

The fries were just as amazing as I remembered. The baked nutty exterior enhanced the natural sweetness of the parsnips and carrots, which made them taste almost like lunch time dessert. A sweet and savory mix that definitely favored the sweetness of the two.

I paired the nutty fries with a grilled spinach, hummus, and provolone cheese flatbread sandwich.

I went heavy on the spinach and loved the way the spinach combined with the hummus and the cheese. Yum. πŸ™‚

Other things that would be amazing encrusted in nut butter…

• bread (think nut butter french toast!)
  • sweet potatoes
  • apple slices (baked!)
  • tofu
  • green beans? (worth a shot)

hmmm….. it could be fun to try a few new things.

A couple of months ago Susan did a series called ‘Will it french toast?’ (AWESOME idea by the way). Maybe I need to start that with nut butter, only come up with a better name because ‘Will it encrust in nut butter?’ doesn’t have quite the same ring to it. Thoughts?

Or maybe I just need to pick up where Susan left off with the french toasting adventures because, frankly, everything looked delicious. πŸ™‚

I updated the wedding page today -> The Other Proposals

1 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 3, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Haha I think anything would taste good in nut butter!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..April Showers Bring…

2 Victoria (District Chocoholic) April 3, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Nut butter encrusted banana slices, of course.
Victoria (District Chocoholic) recently posted..Chuao Potato Chips in Chocolate

3 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 3, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Wow, how the heck did you come up with that idea?? I love it! Everything is better with nut butter! πŸ˜‰
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Bipolar eating at its finest.

4 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City April 3, 2012 at 3:34 pm

I need to make your fries ASAP!

Of course, I usually go the lazy route and microwave carrots for the fry effect. It works (and is perfect for when you’re super hungry ;)) but its not quite the same.
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Busy & Frustrated

5 Lauren April 3, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Nut butter tofu sounds great! It would be awesome on an Asian influenced salad with baby greens, Clementine sections and scallions. And maybe a soy vinaigrette …
Lauren recently posted..All Kinds of Sweaty

6 Cait's Plate April 3, 2012 at 3:43 pm

GAH! I ALWAYS mean to try these and forget! Thanks for the reminder, I definitely need to do this soon! πŸ™‚
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Crisp

7 Carrie April 3, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Oh wow, it never occurred to me to make nut-butter fries. Those sound amazing!
Carrie recently posted..Adventurous April Challenge

8 Serena April 3, 2012 at 3:58 pm

yum!
Serena recently posted..Running While sick

9 Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride April 3, 2012 at 4:06 pm

I just need to try these fries already! Nut butter french toast would be delicious! Nut butter green beans…maybe not so much πŸ˜›
Caitlin @ This Bride’s Joyride recently posted..All is fair in love and randomness

10 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness April 3, 2012 at 4:14 pm

How about the Nut Butter Challenge…I know there has to be so many things that you would come up with!
Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..Treat your Feet to Sandal Season Pampering

11 Sana April 3, 2012 at 5:09 pm

What about potatoes in nut butter ?
Sana recently posted..Kidney and Green Bean Salan

12 Angela April 3, 2012 at 5:24 pm

I loved ‘Will it french toast?’ There have been a few things I’ve made since then that I’ve wondered how it would turn out french toasted!

13 Sara@RunningInPinkProject April 3, 2012 at 8:31 pm

I had a hummus and veggie sandwich for lunch today too. Mine was cold though and the veggies were covered in a parsley vinaigrette. So good! Not sure what I think of the fries…maybe I need to try and make them to become a believer. πŸ˜€
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..Bridesmaid Boot Camp

14 Megan @ Megan's Munchies April 3, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Sweet potatoes!! Definitely!

15 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama April 3, 2012 at 9:12 pm

I forgot about Nut Butter Fries! I made them awhile ago and my husband made the comment, “Where did you see this and who would want to eat this!” He wouldn’t even try them but I think they are great! Thanks for the reminder to make them again!

I would pour nut butter on anything and eat it.
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..The Lesser of Two Evils and Workouts Galore!

16 Emily N April 4, 2012 at 8:52 am

Oh yum, maybe almond butter (or some other nut butter) would help me to enjoy carrots. I know that they are the most common veggie (probably with the exception of potatoes and corn, but I am not sure those even count!), and even most kids eat them, but something about the crunchiness turns me off… Yeah, I am such a child about veggies! πŸ˜‰
Emily N recently posted..Post 20 Training