Spring is Here

by Meghann on April 2, 2012

Doesn’t this plate of food scream Spring?

I think it’s the orange and green colors mixed with refreshing, light flavors. Nothing says Spring like fresh carrots and green beans. 🙂

Speaking of Spring, can you believe Easter is on Sunday? It’s Derek’s birthday too. Double whammy. On the 8th he’ll be the big ole 2-8. That’s 10 years older than 18 and 2 away from 30. I love to remind him of this. 😉

I know, I’m not far behind him, but the fact that he’ll always be 10 months (exactly!) older than me keeps me feeling young(er).

Applesauce keeps me feeling younger too. It’s delicious no matter how old I get.

Derek and I had a fun talk this weekend about his birthday. He doesn’t want anything big, but I have a couple of surprises up my sleeve for the weekend. He’ll just have to wait and see to find out what those are. 😉

Get in the Lean Lane

There was a great article in last month’s Runner’s World about losing (or maintaining) weight while running. (The article can be found HERE.)

A few pieces of the advice looked very familiar…

• Eat Often – The article recommends eating three meals and two snacks a day. Which, in theory, means you should be eating every couple of hours. This keeps your metabolism moving and prevents that hangry feeling from taking over. I hate that hangry feeling – me + snacks = best friends.
  • Veg – and Fruit – Up – At least half of each meal should me made up of vegetables or fruit. This was the exact same piece of advice the RD I saw in November told me and it’s a good piece of advice that I try to stick with as much as possible. I love fruit and I love veggies, so it’s usually not too big of a deal.
  • Rotate three meals for breakfast – “adult” cereal, oatmeal, greek yogurt, or eggs. Always include fruit. <– I think the article just described my morning routine. 😉
  • Go All DIY – Make meals at home instead of dining out. We have our moments, but I’d say Derek and I make 75% of our meals at home.

A few I probably needed to get better at…

• Take It Easy on Nut Butter – Runners love their peanut and almond butter (healthy fats, good fiber, protein source), but a serving size is only 2 tablespoons and once you start to pile it on – the calories add up.
  • Treat trap – After a long run “reward calories” should be limited to 200 calories and after a really, really long run, 400 calories. Ummm…. no comment.
  • Practice Long, Slow Eat – I’m a fast eater. It’s something I’m working on, but I don’t always think about when I’m eating. It’s easier to practice when I’m dining with friends or family and I have to make the conscious decision to put down my fork while conversing, but when it’s just me I’m a speed demon.

A lot of the advice falls under the theory that runners prefer to be in their tip-top shape when racing because the more in shape you are, the more likely you are to (theoretically) PR. However, I would not advice trying to lose weight while marathon training. It’s a tricky business. In fact, I’ve actually gained weight while training for most of my marathons. It’s a tricky balance between keeping your body properly fueled and that  I-just-ran-XX-amount-of-miles-so-I-can-eat-what-ever-I-want feeling of hunger. My sweet tooth doesn’t help either. I have a bad, bad sweet tooth.

Wedding Page Update

I updated the wedding page today with a post about building our wedding website. Check it out HERE.

1 Mary @ food and fun on the run April 2, 2012 at 3:28 pm

I am actually up about 5 lbs from my usual training weight. I always used to get injured during training, and I think the extra lbs are helping me this time around. I am definitely feeling fit and fast, and I sure do not feel like I am carrying around the extra weight. I am pleasantly surprised that the weight is helping me, rather than hurting me 🙂
Mary @ food and fun on the run recently posted..A Ritzy Run

2 Krissy @ Shiawase Life April 2, 2012 at 3:32 pm

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY! Haha..

I am turning 28 this Saturday….but hubs turns 33 exactly 12 days later so I am okay with it 😉
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..No Foolin’ (A Weekend in DC, part I)

3 Susie April 2, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Oi I love Runners World (and no I am not Jewish, it’s just that kinda love!). And no doubt about the not OVER refueling–it can be so hard once you start! When I was losing weight, I liked to try to time my runs around when I might need a meal anyway. Now that I’m maintaining/putting on muscle again, I like to go after a mini-meal that I count as my “refuel” (trust me, you won’t overeat if you refuel before!) and then a regular meal like I would have had anyway.
And I used to wolf down everything too. But my trick is to eat things like cookies, energy bars, whatever I can, with my hands and pull off a piece, one-at-a-time. You HAVE to slow down that way. and you learn to savor it more. I started with the whole “savor each bite” and now I am such a food disector! but then I get to have evvvvveerrrry morsel….

4 Emily @LivingLongfellow April 2, 2012 at 3:54 pm

I need to work on eating slower as well. Mark is always trying to get me to eat slower simce I finish long before him usually.
Emily @LivingLongfellow recently posted..Polish Easter

5 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife April 2, 2012 at 3:59 pm

I am a super slow eater….so I always end up being the last to finish. My husband is a super fast eater….so we both have to work on that. Hah 😉

I agree, it is not wise (and quite tricky) to truly train for a race and lose weight at the same time. However, when you incorporate weight training into that routine, you’ll be faster, stronger, and shed body fat. I don’t think just running is good for anyone…. 😉
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..BodyPUMP Release 81 Review

6 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 2, 2012 at 4:08 pm

I am definitely a fast eater. That’s something I definitely need to work on!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Bipolar eating at its finest.

7 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City April 2, 2012 at 4:10 pm

I agree, I almost always gain weight during marathon training. I love the bullet point about eating every few hours, I find that during training if I go more than a couple of hours without eating something I start feeling headachey. I’m also so much more likely to chow down at the next meal 😛
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..The Bristol and a Busy Weekend

8 Colleen @ Culinary Colleen April 2, 2012 at 4:14 pm

My treat trap is beer! After a long run, it doesn’t seem to matter to matter to me how much beer I have!

9 Jenny April 2, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I don’t have a sweet tooth, but I definitely feel like I have insatiable hunger after a running workout. It’s getting better as my body is getting used to running, but man. I could eat like a pound of pasta after just a 30 minute run.

10 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 2, 2012 at 5:06 pm

That lunch does look good! It’s making me want a pickle!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Chi Town Half Marathon Race Recap

11 Coco April 2, 2012 at 5:13 pm

I can’t believe that this year is going by so fast- though it seems as you get older it happens faster.. ahh! I love my fruits and veggies and almond butter.. and I’m not so good at the whole eating slowly thing.. I try and I’m much better than I used to be, but it is a challenge when I’m starved (you know because I only eat every 3 hours, hah)
Coco recently posted..Weekend + Circuit + Workout + Work

12 Erika April 2, 2012 at 6:10 pm

I was so hoping to lose weight when I train for my halfs, but I get so hungry on long runs that I need the fuel!! Thanks for the reassurance that I don’t need to be focusing on weight loss. I just focus on being healthy, etc.
Erika recently posted..Mad Men Madness Monday

13 Jessica Krogman April 2, 2012 at 6:38 pm

I have a BIG sweet tooth too and I’m training for my first marathon and always super hungry. Starving right now actually!

14 Sara@RunningInPinkProject April 2, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Im a really fast eater. I really need to work on that. And PS: Ive adopted your fruit, greek yogurt, kashi breakfast. 🙂
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..Basic But Never Boring

15 Dana April 2, 2012 at 7:09 pm

That applesauce looks yummy! Hope your lunch was wonderful.
Dana recently posted..So Much Fun at The Color Run

16 Carrie April 2, 2012 at 7:29 pm

I fall into the over-eating for run rewards sooooo often…especially on long run day!
Carrie recently posted..Recipe: Rice-less Sushi

17 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama April 2, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Initially when I first started doing half marathons, my hunger while training was crazy. Nothing satisfied me! Luckily, I never gained any weight. This time my appetite has not changed. In fact, I have to force myself to eat something after my long runs because food sounds horrible. Smoothies and chocolate milk have become my go-to recovery fuels. Previously I would eat a house! I guess my body has adapted to the increased mileage!
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Back To Business

18 Army Amy* April 2, 2012 at 7:53 pm

I have found that marathon training revs up my sweet tooth. My goal during training is to stay healthy; weight loss isn’t even on my radar.*
Army Amy* recently posted..Firefly Run 5k Race Recap

19 Hillary April 2, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Yeah, I’ve either gained or maintained weight every time I’ve trained for a major race. I definitely used to fall into the “I just ran ten miles so I can eat whatever I want” camp, but I’m trying to be more conscious and reasonable!

20 Cait's Plate April 2, 2012 at 9:00 pm

I’m a fast eater too. Ridiculously fast. 15 minutes and I’m done. I always remember to slow down only after I’ve inhaled my whole plate. Definitely need to get better at that as well.
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Hydration Station

21 Nikki April 2, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Oh man…I know I need to watch it when it comes to nut butters! That’s the hardest thing to stop overeating!
Nikki recently posted..NYC Loving

22 Sara @my less serious life April 3, 2012 at 7:57 am

i’m a speed eater too! you may enjoy my new series of ‘experiments’ where i am test out different ways to eat more slowly! here is the link to the most recent one: http://mylessseriouslife.blogspot.com/2012/04/eating-slowly-experiment-pause-and-calm.html
Sara @my less serious life recently posted..the eating slowly experiment: pause and calm method (introduction)

23 Angela April 3, 2012 at 8:43 am

Congrats you two i’m so happy for you! Been reading your blog for so long and couldnt wait for the day that he popped the question! Enjoy the ride!!!
Angela recently posted..Meal Planning

24 Sarah April 3, 2012 at 8:57 am

what a great article!! thanks for sharing!
Sarah recently posted..Cherry Blossom 10 Miler Weekend

25 Emily N April 3, 2012 at 8:58 am

So far (13 weeks in) I am doing well with eating. I actually find myself to be a little queasy after long runs, so I have been pretty good with just eating my normal meals, and therefore have dropped around 2 lbs these 13 weeks.
Emily N recently posted..Marathon Training Week 13 in Review

26 Lisa April 3, 2012 at 12:24 pm

My hubby’s bday is today! He turns the big 3-0. I’m actually glad because I’ve been 30 for about 6 months and he hasn’t let me hear the end of it! :0
Lisa recently posted..Hip Hop Hustle