Procrastinate much?

by Meghann on March 30, 2012

Today is going to be fun.

*cough* sarcasm *cough*

I got a call from my accountant earlier this week asking how my taxes were coming along. Ummm… taxes? Crap. How did it get to be the last day of March already? And how have I not started them yet? To be fair, it took a while for a few of the 1099s to come in and my taxes aren’t exactly easy to deal with (consulting + Healthy Living Summit, LLC + quarterly estimated taxes = complicated).

My accountant gave me a Friday afternoon deadline to have everything into her, so the next few hours will be spent re-organizing all of my receipts, 1099s, and whatever else I can dig up. Like I said – fun.

Have you started your taxes yet? Most everyone I know is already done. Umm… yeah. Whoops.

Luckily my morning didn’t start off on the floor surrounded by receipts, it started with a run. I took Maddie out for a 3 mile loop around the block, then dropped her off and did 2 miles on my own for a total of 5. My long run is tomorrow, so I kept the pace nice and easy and just enjoyed the morning.

After my run I decided to make something I haven’t made in awhile – a Fitnessista breakfast cookie.

A couple of years ago I had one of these babies at least once a week, but I guess my obsession has sort of died down since then. I think that has more to do with not having the ingredients on hand to make them (I don’t buy as much applesauce as I used to) or remembering to make them the night before (even though i didn’t do that this time), than anything else.

I got home from my run and I mixed 1/2 cup rolled oats, a heaping spoonful of honey peanut butter, raisins, cinnamons, and a teaspoon of chia seeds in a bowl, then I added a tablespoon of milk and enough applesauce until everything was moist. Once everything stuck together, I spread the mixture on a plate in a cookie shape and placed it in the freezer for 10 minutes (usually I would place the cookie in the fridge overnight, but the freezer for 10 minutes works too).

When the time was up, I topped the ‘cookie’ with plain yogurt, fresh strawberries, and some mini chocolate chips.

Yummy. The freezer worked great. The ‘cookie’ took on its typical cookie-like state where it stayed together, but still had a tad bit of mushiness to it; and all the flavors were still there and spot on. It was a hearty, morning treat.

I need more breakfast cookies in my life. Now that the days are getting warmer and I’m craving cold food in the morning, I’m sure this will become a staple again. πŸ™‚

Have a great Friday everyone!

1 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats March 30, 2012 at 10:09 am

I really need to try one of her breakfast cookies! And good luck with taxes! I took tax law last semester and it was pretty interesting, but that does not look fun. I’m pretty lucky since I’m in law school and still a dependent, my dad does my taxes and just has me sign them…
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Miss Representation

2 Becca March 30, 2012 at 10:11 am

Your Breakfast cookie looks fantastic πŸ™‚ I’m done with my taxes.. I typically just hand everything over to my husband! I like to take the easy way out and let him deal with it. Hopefully you will get everything organized nice and quickly!
Becca recently posted..Hunger Games – Date Night!

3 Yellow Haired Girl March 30, 2012 at 10:22 am

Ahhh good luck with the tax “fun”. I’m done with my taxes, thank goodness. I hope it goes smoothly!
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..Condiments & A Sipping Snapshot

4 Niki March 30, 2012 at 10:30 am

those strawberries are beautiful! πŸ™‚ enjoy taxes πŸ™
Niki recently posted..fooooooooooooooooooooooood post

5 Faith @ For the Health of It March 30, 2012 at 10:35 am

Taxes are no fun! Thank God I only have 1 source of income otherwise I’d be totally lost with all the numbers!

6 Kalee March 30, 2012 at 10:37 am

This looks so good! I even thought about fixing one for lunch because I have strawberries that are going bad, but I just ate oatmeal. Maybe tomrorow morning! πŸ™‚
Kalee recently posted..Foodie Pen Pals March Reveal: Thank You Crissy from @VeganFoodGal !!

7 Lena @Fit on the Rocks March 30, 2012 at 10:40 am

Good luck on those taxes! I’ve been done for a month, but mine are relatively simple. The breakfast cookie looks delicious!
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Revenge of My Lunch

8 Courtney March 30, 2012 at 10:47 am

I’m bookmarking this page to remind me to try that breakfast sometime. Yum! I finished my taxes a month or so ago. I did some freelance work, bartended and had a desk job, so I expected it to be a little difficult, but Turbo Tax made it so easy. <3 that program! πŸ™‚
Courtney recently posted..What I’ve Been Up To Now That I’m Not Up To Training

9 Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride March 30, 2012 at 10:52 am

I need to try one of those breakfast cookies!

Ugh taxes. I can’t imagine how complicated your taxes are! I somehow completely forgot to send mine this year to my accountant on time and found myself calling him on the day he asked them to be sent in promising that they’d be sent that day. I would rush more if I were getting returns but last year I got a whopping $1 return. (I kid you not, I actally got a check for like $1.23!)
Caitlin @ This Bride’s Joyride recently posted..The Groom’s involvement & Save the Dates

10 clare @ fittingitallin March 30, 2012 at 10:55 am

mm I used to have breakfast cookies all the time last year too but haven’t had one in forever. looks so good!

11 Jessica @ The Process of Healing March 30, 2012 at 11:02 am

Those cookies are one of the few blogging trends I haven’t tried… I need to!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Picture Overload

12 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife March 30, 2012 at 11:29 am

GAH!!! We still have to do ours–but ours are crazy (and we too haven’t received all the stuff yet because we had moved. So annoying. ) But we have the stuff together, we just need to do ’em. I guess we put off what we hate around here?! Hah. We have like 7 W-2s between us, which is kinda insane. Luckily the husband likes doing those things!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..What I’m Loving-March

13 Racheal @ Running with Racheal March 30, 2012 at 11:45 am

I *almost* have my taxes done. All I have to do is sign and then write Uncle Sam a ginormous check.

However, I have been largely procrastinating a different project. Why to today what you can put off until tomorrow..or next week? Hehehe.
Racheal @ Running with Racheal recently posted..Greetings from Vermont

14 Sarah March 30, 2012 at 11:49 am

Good luck on your taxes! Ours are done already but it helps to have that extra motivation knowing we’ll get something back haha. My husband is also self employed so I understand how complicated it can be!

15 Beka March 30, 2012 at 12:06 pm

My taxes were pretty easy even though I had to file for both CA and FL.
The breakfast cookie looks delicious! It is now on my to try list!

16 Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 30, 2012 at 12:32 pm

We did our taxes in early February, but part of the reason is because we knew we were going to be buying a house soon, and the bank would want to see our income taxes from last year.

Good luck with yours! I’m sure yours are pretty complicated, with all of the various means of income you have!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Guest Post: So you want to bake your own bread …

17 Cait's Plate March 30, 2012 at 12:42 pm

I love Gina’s breakfast cookies! That reminds me that I haven’t had one in a while…I gotta put it back on the list!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..A Bit More Winter

18 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City March 30, 2012 at 1:29 pm

I need to try a breakfast cookie! They look like such a fun and delicious breakfast!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Peanut Berry Bars

19 LeeAnn March 30, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Totally have not started my taxes yet…. :-/
LeeAnn recently posted..How Do You Make a Friday…

20 Life's a Bowl March 30, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Cookies for breakfast, heck yes! Especially if it’s oatmeal raisin, YUM πŸ™‚ I definitely need to try making one of these… A fun alternative to baked oats!
Life’s a Bowl recently posted..13 Things Thursday

21 Michele March 30, 2012 at 2:46 pm

HA – just started our taxes last night – like you, we always pay a significant amount so I’m in NO RUSH to get them done!

πŸ™‚

22 Carrie March 30, 2012 at 4:01 pm

We JUST mailed out taxes in yesterday. Things are so much more complicated when you are a consultant!
Carrie recently posted..No Weigh In Challenge

23 Kari March 30, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Good luck with your taxes – I can’t imagine if mine were that complicated. And I haven’t really done the breakfast cookie thing but thanks for highlighting it – I’ve been stuck in a rut lately and it looks great.
Kari recently posted..Hungry for Change Review

24 Erika March 30, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Your breakfast looks SO yummy!
Taxes are not done, yet…sigh!
Erika recently posted..Fun Fact Friday: Say ZAZZLE!

25 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 30, 2012 at 5:51 pm

We already got our refund back and paid off the majority of my car! No thanks to me though – my husband is insanely organized when it comes to paperwork. He’s a business owner, so his business accountant does our personal taxes as well. Fine by me!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..fun facts friday

26 Jessica March 30, 2012 at 5:52 pm

As someone who used to be an accountant, you would be the kind of client that I severely disliked this time of year πŸ˜›

Even if you’re going to owe, you could give your accountant a break and get them your info earlier and then just not actually file your return until the due date.

Just the 2 cents of someone who had to work 80-100 hour weeks this time of year doing other people’s taxes πŸ™‚