Mac & Cheese

by Meghann on March 30, 2012

Cheers to the freakin’ weekend

I drink to that, yeah yeah

IMG_1405.jpg

Yes, I’ve been hoarding oktoberfest and pumpkin beers since the fall. Gotta a problem with that? πŸ˜‰

Tomorrow I will run 19 miles.

Tonight I shall drink beer and make homemade mac and cheese.

Carb loading at its finest. πŸ˜‰

A little secret. I don’t like boxed mac and cheese. The bright yellow cheese scares me. Homemade mac and cheese? That I can get behind. With the right noodles, of course. πŸ˜‰

Tonight’s mac and cheese was fairly simple and reminded me of something my Dad would pull together. I started by preparing a box of whole wheat penne noodles according to the directions on the back of the box. While those were boiling, I prepped and sauteed the veggies – carrots, peppers, onion, and garlic. Then I worked on the cheese sauce. I slowly brought two cups of milk to a light boil, then added about a cup and a half of white sharp cheddar cheese I had shredded. I stirred the pot with a whisk until the cheese had melted, then added a couple of tablespoons of whole wheat flour to thicken it up

When everything was done, I added the veggies, noodles, and cheese sauce to a casserole dish and gave it a nice mix. I finished it with a sprinkle of panko bread crumbs on top and placed the dish in the oven at 375 for 25 minutes.

I had a generous helping with a side of broccoli for dinner.

The mac and cheese was delicious. It was cheesy and gooey with just the right amount of chew and spice. Derek even commented how much he loved the veggies in the dish. I also thought the carrots and peppers added a nice touch.

I almost added the broccoli to the mac and cheese, but I’m glad I left it on the side. Sometimes a little green needs to stand out on its own. πŸ™‚

Afternoon snack: grapefruit, almonds, and Quaker Oatmeal Squares.

Dessert was a defrosted mango cupcake.

I will run 19 miles tomorrow.

I will run 19 miles tomorrow.

I will run 19 miles tomorrow.

Gulp.

Then I will go to the beach. πŸ˜‰ Perhaps I should start with this thought?

Good Night!

1 Anne March 30, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Shiner!! Good Texas beer πŸ™‚

I love Mac and cheese with broccoli. It’s one of my favs!
Anne recently posted..I don’t like this one.

2 Sana March 30, 2012 at 10:15 pm

That dinner looks really good πŸ™‚
Sana recently posted..Birthday Dessert

3 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats March 30, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Omg that baked Mac n cheese looks amazing! And you’ve run marathons, you will kill this 19 miles! Just take it slow and steady and break it up in your mind!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Miss Representation

4 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More March 30, 2012 at 10:24 pm

I will workout tomorrow. I will workout tomorrow. I will workout tomorrow.
And then I will no longer be sick. Maybe I should start with that thought first. πŸ˜‰
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Fitness Friday

5 Emily March 30, 2012 at 10:29 pm

Not related to this post at all, but when I was watching the Hunger Games, I repeatedly thought how much you look like Jennifer Lawrence! Or how much she looks like you… πŸ™‚

6 Meghann April 1, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Ha! I’ll take that as a compliment πŸ™‚

7 Niki@justrunninwithit March 30, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Im not a big fan of boxed Mac and cheese either it never tastes that great and I don’t like when my cheese comes from powder form! Good luck with your 19 miler
Niki@justrunninwithit recently posted..TGIF

8 Lani (@armytbonegirl) March 31, 2012 at 1:30 am

I do love Kraft mac & cheese, but that which you made looks DELICIOUS!!! I wonder if my hubby and son would eat something like that if I made it. You’ll rock your 19 miles!!

9 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama March 31, 2012 at 6:40 am

Boxed Mac n Cheese is frightening! Who came up with thinking day glow orange powder = cheese? Yuck! I’ll stick to my homemade version with veggies and real food.

You’ve got the 19 miles! No problem!
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..A Few of My Favorite Things – Spring/Summer Edition

10 Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 31, 2012 at 7:47 am

The dinner looks great!! Best of luck on your run today … I’m sure you’ll be great! πŸ™‚
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Guest Post: So you want to bake your own bread …

11 Hillary March 31, 2012 at 8:28 am

Oy. Good luck this morning!!
Hillary recently posted..The Second Half: Final Thoughts

12 Kathy March 31, 2012 at 9:35 am

Is it bad to say I really never want to run 19 miles (at one time) hahah!

9 fine.

10 fine.

But, not together. πŸ˜‰ You go girl!!
Kathy recently posted..Leftovers = YUM (to me only)

13 Army Amy* March 31, 2012 at 10:54 am

I love box mac n cheese! It’s probably because I ate it a lot growing up; it’s comfort food. I don’t eat it much these days, but now I’m thinking that mac and cheese sounds really yummy.*
Army Amy* recently posted..Waves, Big Ones, Really Close Together

14 Jessica @ The Process of Healing March 31, 2012 at 11:52 am

The beach is ALWAYS a good place to start πŸ™‚ Good luck!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Picture Overload

15 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City March 31, 2012 at 12:01 pm

I hope your run went well! I just got back from a 16 miler (last longer run before Boston) after not running for 3 weeks. If I can do it you can πŸ™‚
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Evening Running & Gluten Free Products

16 Erica March 31, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Mmmm! Good beers are worth hoarding! Sam adams winter larger for me! That mac and cheese looks awesome! Hope youre doing well!!
Erica recently posted..Breakfast with Chobani & Pizza Dinner

17 Emily N April 2, 2012 at 11:12 am

Ok, I think I might need to try my own mac and cheese, just winging it as you seemed to, because that sounds AMAZING! πŸ™‚
Emily N recently posted..Marathon Training Week 13 in Review