A New Look

by Meghann on March 30, 2012

Taxes are done. For now. I’ve submitted all my paperwork to my accountant and now it’s her turn to take it from here. Now it’s just a big waiting game of discovering just how much I owe Uncle Sam this year. (I think this is why I stalled so long on doing them :()

At least lunch was good.

An assortment of last night’s leftovers warmed up under the broiler (so the tofu and potatoes stay crispy!) and placed on top of a bed of kale that I ‘massaged’ with lemon juice, salt, and olive oil.

With ketchup. Can’t have potatoes without ketchup! πŸ˜‰

The Meals and Miles Facebook page got a new look today.

Screen shot 2012-03-30 at 11.22.11 AM.png

In case you’ve missed the news, all Facebook pages (that’s PAGES, not profiles) are supposed to automatically switch over to the new timeline layout sometime today. Just as they did with the switch to timeline profiles (which still isn’t 100% complete since you currently have the option to opt out of the timeline view), Facebook gave pages the opportunity to ‘preview’ the timeline before the official switch was made.

I’ve had the Meals and Miles Facebook page on timeline preview mode for a couple of weeks now trying to get the feel for it and I keep going back and forth with the pros and cons of it.

Screen shot 2012-03-30 at 11.20.18 AM.png

You can check out my review of the Facebook timeline profiles here, but to make a long story short, I loved the switch to the timeline profiles. I loved having access to all my old posts again, I loved how the Facebook profile read like a story, and I loved the addition of the cover photo on the top.

I have the same loves for the Facebook timeline pages – access to old posts, storyline feel, and the cover photo – plus, I appreciate that there are no more landing pages, all the ‘likes’ are in a central location, pages can select which apps to feature on the top bar, the ability to ‘pin’ certain posts to stay at the top, and the new admin panel with insights that’s a tad easier to understand.

Screen shot 2012-03-30 at 1.38.30 PM.png

What I’m not a fan of, is that all the user generated content is all consolidated and pushed to the side.

Screen shot 2012-03-30 at 1.28.00 PM.png

I can see why Facebook did this – previously pages/users had the ability to switch back and forth between user generated content and just the page’s posts – but the way they have it set up now feels like their trying to hide it completely. I wish there was an easier to way to keep the posts in the timeline format, so that it flows a little nicer.

I’m really interested to see what businesses do in the future to make their pages unique. Cover photos seem to be the most valuable real estate on the pages (just as landing pages were previously), but Facebook’s new guidelines on what can be included in the cover photo, ban the mention of contests, giveaways, discounts, or special offers. Companies will just need to become a bit more creative with marketing their brand instead of encouraging likes based off of some sort of ‘deal.’ I’ve never been a fan of the ‘deal’ approach when it comes to marketing through social networks, so I appreciate the move away from that on Facebook’s part.

What are your thoughts on the new Facebook page timelines? Love them? Hate them?

Also, feel free to ‘like’ Meals and Miles on Facebook. Just wanted to put that out there. πŸ˜‰

1 Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 30, 2012 at 2:46 pm

I don’t love the timeline profile, but I’m sure I’ll get used to it … like every other change made on Facebook. πŸ˜‰
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Guest Post: So you want to bake your own bread …

2 Yellow Haired Girl March 30, 2012 at 2:50 pm

I just changed my profile on FB to the timeline … I thought I would absolutely hate it, but I’m warming up to the idea πŸ™‚
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..Condiments & A Sipping Snapshot

3 Jen @ Whittle My Middle March 30, 2012 at 3:31 pm

The new header looks great! I’m not a huge fan of the timeline but it does allow for some neat visuals
Jen @ Whittle My Middle recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday: A Green Dinner For You

4 Nanci March 30, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Just wanted to say, I’m new to your blog and I love it! Your FB page is great too. I am a fan of the new timeline, I think it’s more user-friendly and appealing.
Nanci recently posted..Hello world!

5 Meghann March 30, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Hi Nanci! Welcome to the blog! And thank you! πŸ™‚

6 Beka March 30, 2012 at 3:50 pm

I love the timeline, although I definitely had to go back through “time” and delete a few posts I’d forgotten about!

I like the cover photo the most. Some people are sooo creative with it!
Beka recently posted..Falling off the bandwagon…

7 Cait's Plate March 30, 2012 at 3:56 pm

I’m always pretty resistant to the Facebook changes but then I end up getting used to them!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..A Bit More Winter

8 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness March 30, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I’m too scared to make the leap! Ah! When I look at my page later I know it is going to freak me out. Guess I will have to stay positive and just get used to it. Hooray on getting your taxes squared away!
Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..Foodie Pen Pal: March Breakfast Box

9 Erika March 30, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Just haven’t made the switch yet. Not sure I want to conform to the change!
Erika recently posted..Fun Fact Friday: Say ZAZZLE!

10 Alyssa @ Fit and Fun in Third March 30, 2012 at 5:07 pm

I can’t get used to the Facebook Timeline! I hate change… haha even if it’s just on my Facebook page.
Alyssa @ Fit and Fun in Third recently posted..I Had Dessert at 6 a.m.

11 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats March 30, 2012 at 5:10 pm

I’m sure I’ll get used to it, but right now I am NOT a fan of timeline!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Miss Representation

12 Ida March 30, 2012 at 5:14 pm

pay quarterly- it’s a lot less painful come April and you avoid the penalty fees.

13 Laura March 30, 2012 at 5:42 pm

i accidentally switched over to the new timeline, but i want my old profile back! do you know if there is any way to switch back?

14 Life's a Bowl March 30, 2012 at 5:57 pm

I haven’t been a big fan of the change over to timeline, think it’s kinda confusing and hard to read :/ My page just turned over *sigh* but I guess there’s nothing we can do about it… FB domination yet again πŸ˜›
Life’s a Bowl recently posted..TGI… Spring Break

15 Lee March 30, 2012 at 7:17 pm

I like it for businesses, not so much of a fan for personal pages. I’m in charge of the social media for my company and I like how our page looks. I got the art department to design a really cool cover photo.
Lee recently posted..A Blah Post

16 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen March 30, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Dislike, dislike, dislike all around. I think facebook completely missed the mark on this one. The user comments all together is my biggest frustration though like you mentioned.
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Foodie penpals & sea salt chocolate stuffed strawberries

17 Ricole Runs March 31, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Interesting viewpoints. I miss the old Facebook view, even after all this time, though I do, like you, appreciate having access to old posts. Maybe it will just take me a really long time to adjust?!
Ricole Runs recently posted..The Hunger Games & A Rainy Windy Run