Mr. Potato’s Cousin

by Meghann on March 26, 2012

This is a rutabaga.

(source)

Once upon a time I wouldn’t have been able to tell you that. It was one of those funky vegetables in the produce section that I would simply ignore while reaching for my carrots or broccoli. Now I know better. Now I know the rutabaga is awesome. 😉

I like to think of the rutabaga as the potato’s close cousin. Basically anything the potato can do, the rutabaga can do too.

Rutabaga Fries

Roasted Rutabaga

Mashed Rutabaga

And Rutabaga Hashbrowns

Buried under the egg and cheese (yum!) is my vegified version of hashbrowns – with rutabaga. I just chopped a rutabaga in bite size pieces and fried them in the skillet pan with onion, peppers, carrot, broccoli, and fresh garlic.The results were delicious.

An easy dinner featuring one of my favorite veggies.

Earlier in the afternoon I snacked on a chocolate VitaTop with almond butter.

For dessert I enjoyed one of last night’s mango cupcakes.

🙂

The wedding page was updated today! Help! We’re in need of honeymoon advice.

The pain in my throat moved up to my ear. :/ Maybe it will fade away by morning?….

Good night.

1 Niki March 26, 2012 at 10:42 pm

That mango cupcake looks sooo good!
Niki recently posted..I’ll take my yoga, hot.

2 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More March 26, 2012 at 10:44 pm

I’m kinda sick too…I hope we BOTH get better soon!
And I don’t think I have ever actually tried a rutabaga…
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Music Monday

3 Lynda@ Hit The Road Jane March 26, 2012 at 10:49 pm

oo I want to try! I can honestly say it hasn’t been a blip on my radar till now. Very intrigued 😀
Lynda@ Hit The Road Jane recently posted..Hispanicize & Fitness and Health Bloggers

4 Aislinn March 27, 2012 at 4:01 am

Haha! Whenever I saw you make rutabaga fries I had no idea what it was, but now that I’ve seen the picture I realise its a turnip! Thats what we call them in Ireland, very commonly eaten vegetable over here!

5 Sara@RunningInPinkProject March 27, 2012 at 6:39 am

I can honestly say thats one piece of produce Ive never tried. Honestly, I never bothered to figure out what to do with one but the hash browns look really good. 🙂
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..Some Give-Away Love

6 Hillary March 27, 2012 at 7:19 am

I’ve never touched a rutabaga before—I don’t even look for them when I’m grocery shopping! Maybe I’ll have to give it a shot!
Hillary recently posted..The Second Half: Final Thoughts

7 Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 27, 2012 at 7:33 am

I have never cooked with rutabaga … I don’t even know how to spell ‘rutabaga!’ But maybe I need to try it out … I’ve been trying to branch out of my veggie comfort zone recently! 😉
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Whose grocery cart is this?!

8 Emily N March 27, 2012 at 7:51 am

Thanks for the intro to rutabaga. Never eaten one, but maybe I shouldn’t be so shy?
Emily N recently posted..Whirlwind Trip Home

9 Sara @my less serious life March 27, 2012 at 7:58 am

rutabaga isn’t something i’ve ever really tried. sounds like something to put on my to do list! thanks for all the ideas.

10 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope March 27, 2012 at 8:08 am

Oh, no! I hope you feel better soon!! Get rest and drink lots of fluids! I tried a rutabaga one time and I really liked it. I don’t know why I don’t buy it more often. I think it’s because it was hard to cut.
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..A Fast Food Kind Of Night…

11 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats March 27, 2012 at 8:42 am

I made rutabaga fries this weekend, and they really are just like potatoes! I’ve made lots of different veggie fries but rutabaga are by far the most similar!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..It’s Getting Dystopic Over Here…

12 Elizabeth @ Chocolate Drops and Pearls March 27, 2012 at 9:03 am

Is the rutabaga better for you than potatoes? I’ll definitely have to try some of these next week! Thanks for sharing I had no idea 🙂
Elizabeth @ Chocolate Drops and Pearls recently posted..Meet The Parents

13 Leah @ Chocolate and Wild Air March 27, 2012 at 9:10 am

I’ve never had rutabagas, I’ll have to try them soon! Especially in those hashbrowns, which look killer!!
Leah @ Chocolate and Wild Air recently posted..The Hunger Games review

14 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City March 27, 2012 at 9:21 am

I’ve never tried rutabega but rutabega fries sound really interesting!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Twas’ the Night Before…

15 Mattie @ Comfy and Confident March 27, 2012 at 9:50 am

I definitely just walk right by the rutabaga at the grocery store. But all those meals look great! How do you cut it open to start cooking with it??
Mattie @ Comfy and Confident recently posted..Restaurant Week

16 Cait's Plate March 27, 2012 at 10:00 am

Rutabaga is something I’ve been dying to try forever now ever since seeing it on your blog. I need to pick one up next time I’m at the store!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..A Good Day.

17 Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe March 27, 2012 at 10:52 am

Wow, I never knew it was like a potato – I always pictured it more like a turnip? Or is it a turnip? Are those the same thing? Argh!
Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe recently posted..Fresh Meals in Minutes!