The Basics

by Meghann on March 21, 2012

Last week was an odd in-between week for grocery shopping. I had returned from a weeklong trip on Tuesday, but didn’t have it in me to go to the grocery store until Wednesday. By then I was so excited to buy ‘real food’ after eating junk (granted, delicious no-guilt allowed junk) for seven days that I pretty much bought the entire grocery store. Of course, I forgot to take into account we were leaving that Saturday for another 4 day long trip. Whoops.

No worries. We ate all the fruit and veggies we could handle in the three days we had at home and – I have to admit – it was nice coming home to a semi-stocked kitchen of food of what we didn’t finish. There’s not much, but we have the basics and the basics are all you need when it comes to putting a meal or two together before rushing to restock again.

Today’s lunch is a prime example of that.

Two breakfast tacos (well, my version – not quite the same as the ones in Austin πŸ˜‰ ) filled with spinach, eggs, cheese, and salsa. All items with semi-stable shelf lives that were waiting for us when we returned.

We are also currently well stocked on bags of frozen veggies (I always go a little crazy when the Publix steam-in-a-bag veggies go on sale for 10 for $10). They’re my favorite go-to side when we’re out of fresh veggies.

And since I’m late on today’s post, I’ve already had a Kashi bar for a snack this afternoon.

It was a quick grab on my way out the door. I had a 1:30pm appointment and the granola bar came in handy afterwards. πŸ™‚

Flying Pig Update

My sister and I are currently researching hotels in Cincinnati for the Flying Pig in May. Both of us are very unfamiliar with the area and have no idea where to start (besides with the marathon sponsored hotels that are mostly sold out or $$ – boo). Does anyone have any good tips on where we can stay that’s A) a decent hotel B) walking distance to the start/finish line and expo (we won’t have a car) c) budget friendly?

Wedding Page Update

I updated the wedding page today! Click here and share you advice on what we should do next with the engagement photos! πŸ™‚

1 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats March 21, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Those tacos look so good! And surprisingly, some veggies last in the fridge. I was gone for a week and the zucchini and kale I had was still just fine!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..WIAW–Is it Summer?

2 Stacey March 21, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Newport, KY is right across the river from downtown Cincinnati. You may want to check out the Comfort Suites in Newport on the Ohio River. It’ll be a slightly longer walk than any of the downtown hotels obviously, but it may be cheaper and the hotel is decent. Worth checking out! Good luck in the Pig! I’ve run the half a few times — still debating on it for this year πŸ™‚ Do lots of hill training — the hills are killer! And I love your blog. Long time reader, first time commenting! πŸ™‚

3 Anne @strawberryjampackedlife March 21, 2012 at 8:37 pm

That’s what I was going to say. All of the downtown hotels are probably expensive (although they are really, really nice. I recommend the Hilton Netherland.) But probably across the river in Newport or Covington would have less expensive hotel rooms. Comfort Suites or Embassy Suites.

I just ran the Mini Heart 15K along Columbia Parkway over the weekend. The hills in Cincinnati are no joke! Especially compared to the flat river banks of Boston.
Anne @strawberryjampackedlife recently posted..Doggy 5k

4 Emily March 22, 2012 at 8:58 am

AGREE. I ran the half and holy moly…
Emily recently posted..My Half Marathon Souvenir

5 Anne @strawberryjampackedlife March 22, 2012 at 9:12 am

Emily, I tried to comment on your blog, but sometimes blogspot and I do not get along. I don’t know why. Anyway . . .

Way to go on the half! Torrence was awful! I turned to go up and said “Eff that!” I just marched up that hill! I’m a bit disappointed (for you) that you got the same medal running the half that I got running the 15K. But the views from Columbia Parkway were beautiful that morning! And we didn’t get rained on! YAY!
Anne @strawberryjampackedlife recently posted..Doggy 5k

6 Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 21, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Love the breakfast tacos!! I did an awesome egg sandwich this afternoon … a microwaved egg on a whole-wheat sandwich thin, cheese, turkey, and a little grape jelly (got the idea from another blogger). So good and so filling. I need to use eggs in my meals more often! πŸ™‚
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..The night a 15-minute dinner took an hour.

7 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife March 21, 2012 at 4:12 pm

I love having eggs, spinach, and cheese on hand–those things do have a pretty stable shelf-life, so it’s good to have ’em to come back to!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Brown Bag It

8 Bronwyn March 21, 2012 at 4:48 pm

check out trip advisor! We used it for recommendations in order to book all our hotels through South East Asia and it never put us wrong….

9 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City March 21, 2012 at 4:57 pm

I love tacos and yours look amazing!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..WIAW {03-21-2012}

10 Theresa K March 21, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Definitely check out newport/covington ky. It’s a short walk over the bridge to the starting line. And there are a bunch of hotels to look into that are a decent price. I live in Dayton, OH which is just north of Cincy and have stayed in a bunch of hotels down there for sporting events and whatnot!!

11 Dr. Evan March 21, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Mmmm! Those tacose look delicious, wish I had some here now…hehe. Great idea for breakfast, thanks for sharing.
Dr. Evan recently posted..White Rice Increases Type 2 Diabetes Risk

12 RunEatRepeat March 21, 2012 at 6:29 pm

I’ve been craving eggs for breakfast and dinner lately! That looks good πŸ™‚
RunEatRepeat recently posted..How Many Calories Burned Running

13 Kate March 21, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Hey Meghann, I am fairly new reader, and I happen to live in Cincinnati. I am happy to help if you have any questions about the city!

Most of the downtown hotels are walkable to the start line. When I was interviewing at my medical school, I stayed at the Hyatt – which worked fine, nothing special but it was clean, centrally located, and easy. (Be warned, they charge an arm and a leg for WIFI!) As a plus, its attached to the downtown Saks Fifth Avenue, which made for decent shopping! I would look on Priceline – they seem to have great deals on the major downtown hotels (Millennium, Cincinnatian, Hyatt, Westin, Hilton), altho that might not be true during the Pig. Newport, which is right across the river in Kentucky, would also work! I think there is more character (think fewer chain restaurants) to be had on the Ohio side, but there are pluses to being in calmer Newport.

You mentioned that you won’t have a car…are you flying in to CVG? The airport is actually in Northern Kentucky, and its about a ~$25-30 cab ride to downtown. Some people find it easier to rent a car and get to explore all the cute neighborhoods, some people don’t mind paying for cabs and saving any parking fees and madness during the Pig weekend.

Let me know if you have any questions – I would be happy to help more with hotels, planning, or just recommendations for great places to eat!! Cincinnati is a great place to live and I would love to share some of our gems with you!

14 Jessica March 21, 2012 at 6:43 pm

I live in Northern Kentucky which is a short walk to the expo and start/finish. The Comfort Suites in Newport is on the river and you could walk accross one of the bridges to downtwn. There is a Holiday Inn Express in Bellevue Ky, just a short distance up the road from the Comfort Suites. The hotels downtown are going to be closer but pricier. I’ve been in the Comfort Suites once, never the Holiday Inn so I can’t vouch for it but it’s a relitively new hotel. I live in Newport, so I am very close to the race. I’m running the half. Good luck! Avoid the Travelodge in Newport.
Jessica recently posted..Pug Face

15 Liz @ Tip Top Shape March 21, 2012 at 6:59 pm

I love the idea of breakfast tacos! Never thought of making that myself before!!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Pet Peeve Wednesday

16 Erika March 21, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Hey– the spring hill suites by marriot (midtown) are nice. It’s a little walk but not too far. It’s near mount Adams just east of downtown and definitely walkable! I live close by and used this hotel for my wedding and they were cheap $99 for a ” suite”. I’m sure they will hike up the price for the race.. If you get in a bind– I know this is weird but you are more than welcome to stay with me:) my husband is running ( i would be but am preggers so I’ll just be the transportation:) you know staying with a stranger is no big deal!haha.. Let me know If I can be of any more help!

17 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama March 21, 2012 at 7:44 pm

Breakfast tacos – I know what I’m having for breakfast tomorrow!

Good luck finding a hotel. It’s outrageous what hotels charge for convenience to the starting line!
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Pantry Staples for Healthy Eating

18 Elisabeth March 22, 2012 at 3:33 am

I’ll add in another vote for the Neport/ Covington area (fun aquarium there, too!)

19 mary March 22, 2012 at 3:38 am

Brian and I will have a car!! Were also looking at hotels. Kelly included you and me in an email chain! I’ve got my eye out for a deal but if we all stay close you’re more than welcome to ride to and from with us! πŸ™‚

20 Emily March 22, 2012 at 8:56 am

Here are my marathon thoughts… Seriously, look at the hotels in NKY. They are a bridge walk to the start and will most likely be far cheaper than on the Ohio side. Not sure of rates, but there is a Holiday Inn and a Courtyard (both that I have stayed at) in Covington… Most of the Ohio Side hotels are fancy schmancy and much pricier. I think Covington may have a Radisson as well?
Emily recently posted..My Half Marathon Souvenir

21 Life's a Bowl March 22, 2012 at 11:36 am

What kinda tortillas did you use? They look tasty! I usually get whole wheat ones from TJ’s because they’re versatile and high in fiber and protein…

22 Meghann March 22, 2012 at 2:16 pm