I like to eat, eat, eat cabbage and potatoes

by Meghann on March 15, 2012

I’ve had this song stuck in my head all day. πŸ™‚

p.s. totally remember watching that episode of Barney back in the day. πŸ˜‰

Do you ever have one of those days where you feel like you’re crossing a million things off of your to-do list at once and are just on a roll? That’s how my day was. Much better than yesterday or Monday when I was still recovering from being away and had the ‘OMG my to-do list is a mile long’ feeling. Oh, yes. Much better. Just another reminder to take things one day at a time – you never know how the next one is going to go. (It will get better!)

I didn’t have much of an appetite for lunch today. I ended up working an hour past my usual lunch time and decided a lighter snack plate was the way to go.

One end of the snack plate had a Super Fruit Oikos with Kashi Go Lean Crunch (for the sweet tooth)

And the other had carrots, almonds, pretzels sticks, and a glob of hummus to dip it all in. (for the savory)

Surprisingly, very filling.

hummus + almonds + yogurt = filling protein superstars

Afternoon snack:

• 1 packet of original instant oatmeal
  • dried fruit
  • chocolate whey protein powder (whole foods brand)
  • walnuts

hot water

Done.

I keep forgetting that St. Patrick’s Day is this weekend (seriously, where does the time go?). When I was at Publix yesterday, I saw the cabbage on sale and didn’t give it much thought. Then I saw the cabbage on display with the red potatoes (also on sale) and it clicked. Nothing says St. Patrick’s Day like cabbage and potatoes!

Besides irish sodabread (I need to get my hands on some of that before Saturday!)

We’re going out of town on Saturday, so we celebrated a couple of days early with our irish feast.

Possibly one of the easiest meals out there. Just boil the cabbage, potatoes, and ham in some broth – with salt and LOTs of pepper – until the potatoes are soft. Done.

Served with cornbread.

Strawberries + Tag Alongs for dessert.

I have a new favorite photo from my brother’s wedding.

Screen shot 2012-03-15 at 8.12.39 PM.png

HILARIOUS. πŸ™‚

Also, I love my parents.

That is all.

Time for sleep – I have 15 miles to run in the morning! <– if I publicly announce it, that means I have to do it, right?

Good Night!

1 MrsSwan March 15, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Yes it means you have to do it if you announce it. That is while I did day 1 of C25k I specifically said I am not committing to it. LOL
OMG I SOOO remember that episode of Barney. My little sister was a Barney ADDICT! OhhhhhMMMMMGEEEEEE thank you!! She is the one getting married in May and I think I need to include Barney in somehow. Muahahah!

I love your parents picture and everyone hooting in the background as well. CLASSIC! My parents would NEVER EVER EVER do something like that. I love that your parents like to have fun (pic above and the umm car decor and such)
MrsSwan recently posted..C25K day 1 – Completed

2 Maria March 15, 2012 at 10:13 pm

RIGHT!! I also have a picture of my parents like that from my wedding! I’ve never seen them act so crazy. Your cabbage, potatoes and Irish bread look so good!
Maria recently posted..Jumping one Hurdle at a Time

3 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats March 15, 2012 at 10:19 pm

I LOVE cabbage, potatoes, carrots and corned beef! It was my favorite thing my mom made all year!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Spreading the Love

4 Army Amy* March 15, 2012 at 10:22 pm

I went to high school with someone who was on Barney. I watched the video to see if she was in it, but alas, she was not.*
Army Amy* recently posted..My Joy Cup Runneth Over

5 MrsSwan March 15, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Admit it! You just wanted to watch the video! πŸ˜›
MrsSwan recently posted..C25K day 1 – Completed

6 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More March 15, 2012 at 10:35 pm

I keep forgetting it’s St. Patrick’s Day too…I need to get my hands on some Irish Soda bread!! Or figure out how to make it… πŸ˜‰
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Words Are Powerful

7 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness March 15, 2012 at 10:44 pm

OMG that picture gave me such memories of dancing pics from my wedding…I wish I could do that night all over again!
Is that ham you have just diced?? Such a simple delicious looking list.
I’ll check in tomorrow about your 15 miles…you go girl!
Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..Diet Sabotage: Break Bad Eating Habits

8 Meghann March 16, 2012 at 11:43 am

Yes. A more traditional version of cabbage and potatoes would include corned beef, but the ham is so much easier. πŸ™‚

9 Lily March 15, 2012 at 11:08 pm

im hungry now…everything looks so good!
Lily recently posted..WIAW: veggie overload

10 emily March 16, 2012 at 6:44 am

Yep, you are now stuck. Looking forward to hearing about it this morning later on!
emily recently posted..A Little Range Action

11 Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 16, 2012 at 6:50 am

Good luck with the 15 miles this morning!! I’m planning on doing 9 … I just hope the weather holds out for me!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Where’s all the Fro-Yo?

12 Lauren March 16, 2012 at 6:58 am

Haha, that picture of your parents is priceless! It definitely calls for a frame and a large spot on the wall. πŸ™‚
Lauren recently posted..Cherry Blossom Bloom

13 Serena March 16, 2012 at 7:53 am

Public announcement motivation I love it!
Serena recently posted..Steel Valley Trail

14 Marisa E March 16, 2012 at 8:51 am

OMG- that picture is friggin hilarious!!! Your parents are just too cute- and they are workin it!!
Good luck with your 15 miles!!

15 Megan S March 16, 2012 at 9:02 am

That picture is f ing hilarious and so cute! I’d frame the hell out of that bad boy…

16 Kathy March 16, 2012 at 9:48 am

15 miles….man you motivate me girl! πŸ˜‰
Kathy recently posted..Some of the BeSt and the WoRsE.

17 Cait's Plate March 16, 2012 at 9:48 am

GAH! That song is now going to be stuck in my head all day too! Haha.
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Easy End

18 christine @ BookishlyB March 16, 2012 at 10:15 am

Best picture ever. I love it when parents are weird.
christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Thirsty Thursday

19 Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life March 16, 2012 at 11:25 am

Hahaha I love that photo of your parents at the wedding! Such a classic photo that will make your family laugh for years to come!
Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life recently posted..In The News Friday!

20 Steph March 16, 2012 at 10:07 pm

I love all of your breakfast recipes, but I’m just not a sweet breakfast eater! Do you have any quick, healthy savory recipes you use when your sweet tooth is off? πŸ™‚
Steph recently posted..Deal alert: Water Bottles

21 Meghann March 16, 2012 at 10:33 pm

I love eggs in a basket where you cut the center out of a piece of bread and drop an egg in it on the skillet. πŸ™‚