more ยป" />

The Long Drive Home

by Meghann on March 13, 2012

After 22 hours of driving/riding in a car, it sure feels GOOD to be home!

I missed that face. ๐Ÿ™‚

We split the last (and worst!) of the remaining 6 hours of driving evenly among the three of us (one teammate had stayed in Austin an extra day and didn’t ride back with us). We all took two hour shifts, which I’m so glad we did – I’m pretty sure it would have been dangerous to drive anymore than that – at that hour – with no sleep.

I took the first shift around 11:00pm in Niceville, FL and drove the 2 hours to Tallahassee. I knew there was a Steak N Shake off of one of the Tallahassee exits, so I made the Steak N Shake my goal. Just keep driving and they’ll be a milk shake at the end. Got it. I work better when a carrot is dangled in front of me. ๐Ÿ˜‰

The drive was an easy one. We crossed back into the eastern timezone (woo hoo!) and managed to avoid any road wok, traffic, or rain – success!

Oddly enough, this wasn’t the first time I’d been to this Steak N Shake at 2:00am. Oh, yes – I spent many of post-bar crawling nights in there for late night shakes and fries. Those were the days… ๐Ÿ˜‰

Did you know Steak N Shake has junior sized milkshakes?! I ordered a junior Nutter Butter and it was the perfect little size to meet my shake craving.Yum.

We were hoping they would be serving breakfast, but they apparently don’t open the breakfast menu up until 6:00am (why so late?!). Off the dinner menu, I ended up ordering the Chicago Dog, which was pretty good – just a bit spicy.

I requested apple slices on the side instead of fries. It’s all about balance after all, right? ๐Ÿ˜‰

We had just under 4 hours to go after our Steak and Shake pit stop. I sat in the back to try and take a cat nap and somehow ended up sleeping the rest of the way to Orlando. I’m telling you, I can sleep anywhere – even stretched out across the two middle seats with a comfy pillow and blanket.

We made it to Orlando at 6:45am and saw kids waiting for school buses, ready to start their day – man, is it really a new day already?

Joshua helped me transfer all of my luggage from the Tahoe to my Echo so I could quickly get on the road to Tampa. It was sad to say goodbye to my teammates and the Tahoe (our home for the last week), but I was ready to get home.

I stopped at Subway for breakfast on the way out. All week J had been raving about how great their breakfast flatbreads are and inspired me to try one of my own.

IMG_0553.jpg

A 6-inch egg and swiss cheese with spinach, onions, and olives.

It was pretty good. ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m more of a sweet breakfast girl, but if I’m ever craving an egg sandwich for breakfast on the road, I know exactly where to go. Thanks, J!

I paired the breakfast wrap with an orange I had in my snack bag.

The drive to Tampa was tough, but I knew it would be. I’m just so happy to be home right now and can’t wait to shower and nap. Napping with Maddie = huge plus!

What’s your favorite ‘fast food’ breakfast on the road?

1 Sana March 13, 2012 at 10:13 am

I can’t believe you blogged after not sleeping all night! I would be passed outt!
Sana recently posted..Mother/ Daughter Bonding

2 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life March 13, 2012 at 10:13 am

I really do like McDonalds breakfast the most when it comes to fast food. Having options like the egg mcmuffin and a non-fat latte in one place while on the road definitely makes me happy! ๐Ÿ™‚

3 Biz March 13, 2012 at 10:19 am

I love the subway flatbread breakfasts – is it wrong that I ask for it with buffalo sauce?!

Glad you made it home safe!
Biz recently posted..No headphones. No socks. No hat. No problem!

4 Liz @ Tip Top Shape March 13, 2012 at 10:20 am

I’m a McDonalds fan. It’s a classic and always hits the spot!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Tuesday Giggles

5 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats March 13, 2012 at 10:33 am

whew! I don’t think I’ve ever driven overnight before! glad you made it back safely!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Wedding Weekendโ€“Part 1

6 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats March 13, 2012 at 10:33 am

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Wedding Weekendโ€“Part 1

7 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife March 13, 2012 at 10:47 am

Steak N Shake is a staple in StL (where I am from) –I’ve never heard of it being anywhere else! And I had NO idea there was a junior sized?!

Have a GOOD nap. WOW. That’s amazing you just did that all last night….I’d be DEAD Tired. Hah.
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Berry Protein Smoothie + Salsa Quinoa Bowl

8 kim March 13, 2012 at 10:50 am

Hi! I’ve been reading for a while now and I’ve just got to ask… whats with the way you hold things? Like the orange? where are your fingers? Just super curious. Thanks! ๐Ÿ™‚

9 Jessica March 13, 2012 at 11:24 am

I’ve been wondering the same thing actually?

Anyway, Hope you had a blast on your trip, I’m totally jealous you got to go – people at work have been talking about it lots. We need to talk invites soon if you still wanna go that route! ๐Ÿ˜€
Jessica recently posted..Save Powell Hall!

10 Meghann March 13, 2012 at 12:19 pm

ha! It’s to keep my nails out of the photos. They’re not always pretty. ๐Ÿ™‚

11 Jessica March 13, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Gotcha, I bite mine sometimes :/ so I am notorious for that, but I always remembered you having awesome nails so I was like no way she’s actually hiding them hahaha. It happens.
Jessica recently posted..Save Powell Hall!

12 Bri March 13, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Ha, I thought I was the only crazy one who noticed this! Why not do a little nail maintenance instead of employing strategic posing? A file + clear polish work wonders. ๐Ÿ™‚ Each time I see a photo of you holding a snack, I wonder what the heck is going on. Not in a mean way–it just seems kind of goofy to me.

13 Brianne March 13, 2012 at 4:14 pm

I agree, it always looks so strange. It probably would look better if you just placed the orange on the counter or dashboard.

P.S. OPI has some good nail polish to strengthen nails.

14 Hillary March 13, 2012 at 11:06 am

Twenty-two hours in a car is probably my worst nightmare. Kudos to you guys!

15 Lynda@ Hit The Road Jane March 13, 2012 at 11:29 am

That was a good idea to split the drive up into 2 hour intervals! I don’t think I would’ve lasted more than that. I get so antsy in a car ๐Ÿ˜€
Lynda@ Hit The Road Jane recently posted..Cooler Cleanse Has Arrived!

16 Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon March 13, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Hehe that’s a funny shaped orange!
If I’m able to pack breakfast for the road, I always pack either overnight oats (so easy to grab and go in the morning!) or a pb and banana sandwich. Otherwise, I’ll usually stop at a grocery store for a yogurt, a piece of fruit, and either a single serve pack of peanut butter or a granola bar of some sort depending on the options!
Jamie @ Don’t Forget the Cinnamon recently posted..Ben & Jerryโ€™s Greek Frozen Yogurt: Reviewed

17 Hilary March 13, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Can I comment on the obscene-ish shape of that orange without sounding like a twelve year old??? ๐Ÿ˜›
Hilary recently posted..Birthday Party day by L

18 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope March 13, 2012 at 12:22 pm

What a long drive you had! I’ve been wanting to try breakfast from Subway. It sounds good! My favorite breakfast options are usually either from Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts ๐Ÿ™‚
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Meet and Greetโ€ฆ

19 Cait's Plate March 13, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Oh man! I wish all oranges had tops like that! That thing must have been so easy to peel!

And holy cow – a nutter butter shake!? That looks so good! I literally almost picked up nutter butters on my train ride home yesterday…I can’t remember the last time I had one, but they were calling my name like crazy!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Purely Highland

20 Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 13, 2012 at 12:32 pm

First of all, that’s one of the strangest looking oranges I’ve ever seen haha!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

And that shake sounds awesome! I had a Nutter Butter Blizzard from DQ last summer that was pretty much amazing. ๐Ÿ™‚

21 Jen @ Whittle My Middle March 13, 2012 at 12:35 pm

Subway and Tim Horton’s all the way for me! We don’t have as many “healthy” options for road trips in Canada.
Jen @ Whittle My Middle recently posted..Paleo Update โ€“ 10 Day Check In

22 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City March 13, 2012 at 12:35 pm

I’m glad you guys played it safe driving. Driving late at night sucks but its even worse on a highway!

I almost died when I saw the nutter butter shake. Back in the day those were one of my favorite types of cookies!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Oats in a Cookie Butter Jar

23 MrsSwan March 13, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Welcome back to Florida! Glad your home safe. ๐Ÿ™‚
MrsSwan recently posted..For the record

24 Emily March 13, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Glad to see you made it back home safely. ๐Ÿ™‚
Emily recently posted..Meals at Home? Kinda…

25 Becca @ Blueberry Smiles March 13, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Breakfast food on the road is tough and I don’t like any of it. I usually go with a banana, coffee, and nuts, which I can usually find at a starbucks or random gas station.

26 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama March 13, 2012 at 2:25 pm

I love coming home from a trip to all my ‘stuff.’ Doesn’t everything seem so much better?

Maddie looks beyond thrilled to see her Mama!
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Easy Tuesday

27 Jessica @ The Process of Healing March 13, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Getting home after a long trip is the BEST feeling! And I’m sure you CRASHED with Maddie!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Sometimesโ€ฆ

28 corey @ learning patience March 13, 2012 at 3:06 pm

My favorite part of any vacation is coming home to a clean house and my bed. ๐Ÿ™‚

My favorite go to breakfast is Subways egg white sandwich complete with all the veggies and in Trinidad they put pepper sauce on it – spicy and delicious!

xoxo from Trinidad
corey @ learning patience recently posted..Weekend in Review

29 Cindy March 13, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Love that puppy face! And were those some huge, hot peppers on your Chicago Dog? It hurts just looking at them!
Cindy recently posted..A tradition-starter: Sweet Potato Fridge Rolls

30 erica March 13, 2012 at 3:39 pm

i tried subway breakfast sandwiches…i wasn’t a fan. maybe it was what i ordered…

i LOVE mcdonalds breakfast ๐Ÿ™‚
and jack in the box breakfast bowls…
erica recently posted..boys will be boys

31 Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt March 13, 2012 at 3:59 pm

I love the subway flat bread so good!
Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt recently posted..Meatless Monday Meal

32 Dr. Evan March 13, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Great attention getting pic of your dog, super cute. I was not aware subway made an breakfast sandwich. I’ll have to check it out sometime when I am short on breakfast time. Thanks for posting!
Dr. Evan recently posted..Why You Should Consider Kale

33 Justine Duppong @ Life With Cheeseburgers March 13, 2012 at 4:49 pm

I wish we had junior-sized shakes here (as much as the hubs probably LOVES it when I end up stealing half of his haha)!
Justine Duppong @ Life With Cheeseburgers recently posted..Fun & Fruity Protein Fluff!

34 Megan @ Megan's Munchies March 13, 2012 at 4:56 pm

I am not big on fast food breakfasts! Would a bagel from Einstein’s count as fast food breakfast!
Megan @ Megan’s Munchies recently posted..WIN the Necklace That All Celebrities Will Receive at the 2012 MTV Movie Awards

35 AndreaClaire March 13, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Sounds like you guys had a fun time and no one’s beaten carcass was left on the side of the road. That’s always a bonus at the end of a trip: everyone is still alive ๐Ÿ˜‰

My road trips are usually to Alberta and back to visit the family. Canadian road trips call for a stop at Timmy’s. Sausage breakfast sandwich on a home-style biscuit with a hash brown and a large double-double. Okay, so maybe I occasionally order it when I’m not on the road…
AndreaClaire recently posted..Stop the Crochet Hooks!

36 Jules March 14, 2012 at 3:02 pm

That crazy looking Orange looks delicious despite the fact that it appears to have a nipple ๐Ÿ™‚
Jules recently posted..There is painโ€ฆand then there is PAIN!