Smooooothieeeeee

by Meghann on March 13, 2012

Sleep! Glorious, glorious sleep!

I’m pretty sure I’ve never crashed as fast – or as hard – on my couch as I did after I hit publish on my post this morning. I’ve really felt sleep deprived all week, which is totally my fault. I had this mindset of trying to fit in as much as I could while I was in Austin during the week. That meant waking up early, being go, go, go (with no breaks!) all day, and staying up way too late. Lather, rinse, and repeat. Even after a 2 hour nap, I’m still in a bit of a sleepless haze. I see an early bedtime in my future. An early, early bedtime. πŸ˜‰

In case you missed any of the posts from the whirlwind road trip to SXSW and back with Chevy – here they are:

We’re working on a final tally of how much we raised for each of the three classrooms we stopped at along the way. It’s never too late to donate and help the kids out. Even better? Search for a school in your own area via Adopt-a-Classroom and help a classroom’s dreams come true.

We thought a lot about each of the schools along the way. Every time we drove through a construction zone we all scrambled to take a photo of the road work sign to email back to Mrs. Fowler’s class, when we stopped in New Orleans we recorded video of the jazz band playing on the street since we knew how much the Camp Cogdill campers loved their jazz, and when we saw spiders in our hotel room we debated calling Ms. Williams’ class so they could tell us what kind of spider it was and if it was safe (ok, we didn’t really see any spiders, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there had been!). Those kids really stuck with us and we’re doing everything in our power to give them all they need (including donating our remaining budgeted funds from the trip directly to their classrooms πŸ˜‰ ).

I didn’t wake up from my nap very hungry, but my tummy did start to grumble a couple of hours later. I was really craving a smoothie and decided to break my blender out for the first time in who knows how long.

It had been so long, I almost forgot what goes in a smoothie. Fruit? Spinach? Milk? Or maybe that was just my sleep deprived brain kicking in. πŸ˜‰

Here’s what I went with in the blender:

• Frozen cherries
  • Spinach
  • Milk
  • Chocolate whey protein powder (Whole Foods brand)
  • Granola
  • Ice (originally forgotten, but added later when I had a duh! moment)

The smoothie was very refreshing and energizing – exactly what I was craving.

I paired the smoothie with a slice of German Dark Wheat toast that I slathered with almond butter and pumpkin butter, then topped with walnuts and raisins.

Delicious.

I have some SERIOUS catch-up to do. I was hoping to have a lot of free time to work during either of the road trips, but the time just got away from me. Plus, we were all too busy chatting and enjoying the ride to focus on work stuff on the way.

Boy, does it feel good to be home! I can’t say it enough.

When you’re traveling, what’s the #1 thing you miss? Besides Derek and Maddie ;), I miss my pillows and my blanket. I have a down blanket and pillows that are so soft and just feel like ‘home’ to me.

1 StoriesAndSweetPotatoes March 13, 2012 at 4:59 pm

What a crazy trip! Welcome home.
That is the ultimate piece of toast there.
StoriesAndSweetPotatoes recently posted..Cancelled TV Shows That Broke My Heart

2 erica March 13, 2012 at 5:11 pm

i miss my doggie πŸ™‚

other than that…i probably miss great internet connection and and my shower. i never really like hotel showers…
erica recently posted..boys will be boys

3 this fit chick March 13, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Granola IN the smoothie! Never thought of that one!
this fit chick recently posted..My Favourite Protein Sources

4 Hillary March 13, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Oy, I loooove coming home after a long trip. I would say that I miss my pillow the most but, like a child, I usually take it with me! I went to Israel for 10 days and didn’t want to lug it around with me, and I felt like I was reunited with a long-lost love when I got home. So pathetic, but so true.
Hillary recently posted..Recovery

5 Danielle March 13, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Sounds like you needed the sleep! And what a nutrient-rich breakfast. Good thinking πŸ™‚

I definitely miss my own bed when I’m gone. Besides my friends and family, of course!
Danielle recently posted..my not-so-secret love affair

6 christine @ BookishlyB March 13, 2012 at 5:39 pm

I always miss my shower with all my regular sized products! And definitely my kitchen- eating out on the road is okay for a little while, but nothing beats a well-stocked fridge.
christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Nonfiction Nagging- Eating Animals

7 Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 13, 2012 at 5:39 pm

As much as I love eating while I’m traveling, I sometimes miss my “normal” eating routine … only because sometimes eating while traveling messes with how my body feels!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..That’s a lot of orange juice.

8 jamie@everydaydolce March 13, 2012 at 5:40 pm

When I travel I miss my kitchen and my food the most! Isn’t that lame? lol. It’s mostly because I’m a vegetarian and have a harder time finding tasty veggie options when traveling for long periods of time and miss the convenience of my own kitchen πŸ™‚
jamie@everydaydolce recently posted..The Protein Issue.

9 Running Girl March 13, 2012 at 5:51 pm

I miss my bath tub! Taking a bath in a hotel skeeves me out, so I miss that long relaxing soak in the tub. πŸ™‚
Running Girl recently posted..Ten things I learned on my long run

10 Jennifer Thornburgh March 13, 2012 at 6:36 pm

FYI =)

it’s “lather, rinse, repeat”

Must still be in that sleepy haze πŸ˜‰

11 Meghann March 13, 2012 at 6:43 pm

You’re right. Makes a lot more sense that way. πŸ˜‰

12 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City March 13, 2012 at 7:12 pm

I always put raisins and walnuts on my toast. So delicious!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Oats in a Cookie Butter Jar

13 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife March 13, 2012 at 7:14 pm

I always miss my husband too. And my pillow. And my bathroom. I hate other people’s bathrooms. Hah.

Glad you got some good sleep!!

14 Joss March 13, 2012 at 7:14 pm

You should definitely find some time to catch up on all that sleep you missed πŸ˜› It will hit you sometime lol
Joss recently posted..Go, Go, Go!!

15 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups March 13, 2012 at 7:52 pm

After awhile I start to miss home-cooked meals. I love trying new places and cuisines, but nothing beats homemade comfort food!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Shin

16 Sara@RunningInPinkProject March 13, 2012 at 8:34 pm

That very random toast looks amazing!! Did you love Texas? Its one of my very favorite places. Ive never been to Austin but Dallas is so much fun!
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..Tuesday Food and Moves…and TIVO

17 JessicaE March 13, 2012 at 8:35 pm

I miss my husband and cats most of all, but I also miss my bathtub and my food/eating my way.

18 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama March 13, 2012 at 8:48 pm

I miss my bed the most. Eating my usual foods is up there, too. I enjoy eating out but it gets really old.
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Easy Tuesday

19 Megan @ Megan's Munchies March 13, 2012 at 9:05 pm

I just miss “HOME” in general. Love to travel, but always enjoy getting back home too!
Megan @ Megan’s Munchies recently posted..A Fully Caffeinated Day

20 Jessica @ The Process of Healing March 13, 2012 at 9:06 pm

I’ve been OBSESSED with smoothies lately.. I can’t get enough!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Recent Eats & Favorite Posts

21 Erica H March 13, 2012 at 9:52 pm

How do you like that protein powder? I’m on the hunt for a new one — do you use it in other things besides smoothies? I’d be interested to hear what you thought … always like to get someone else’s review on a purchase like that

22 Meghann March 13, 2012 at 10:21 pm

I’ve only ever used it in smoothies, but I like it. It’s the same powder they use in their in-store smoothies, incase you’ve ever had a smoothie in store. It’s not chalky and blends smoothly.

23 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More March 13, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Honestly, I generally miss my ME time. Is that bad? haha while I love the company I’m with, I really love the time that I get to myself even just an hour everyday.

Well, that and have a boat load of HEALTHY food options that I can eat and that won’t make me sick…
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Inspiration // March Photo a Day