A Pantry Dinner

by Meghann on March 13, 2012

Well, this is new.

At least it’s new to me. πŸ™‚

The hummus tube came in the snack pack they handed out after the Princess Half Marathon.

When I first saw it I had to scratch my head. Hummus? In a tube? That’s different.

But, the more I thought about it. the more I liked it. Since they don’t need to be refrigerated, these little tubes of hummus could come in handy on the go. They would make an excellent snack option for road trips, theme parks, the beach, and more!

And the taste? I mean, it wasn’t the best humus I’ve ever tried, but it wasn’t bad either. Plus, it was fun to ‘squeeze’ the hummus out of the tube.

I had the hummus and crackers for a mid-afternoon snack.

My dinner tonight was a pure pantry meal. Since I’ve been out of town, our fridge was pretty bare and I just didn’t have it in me to run to Publix tonight. Instead I rummaged the pantry and found the ingredients for a quick sweet potato and black bean chili and cornbread.

The chili was super simple. I started with a cubed sweet potato in a big pot and just let the potato brown for a little bit, then I added a can of black beans, a can of diced tomatoes, a can of vegetable broth, and a blend of spices (chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, and oregano). I brought everything to a boil, then down to a simmer while the cornbread baked (30 minutes). I topped my portion with shredded cheese.

The cornbread recipe was taken right off of the back of the bag of Publix brand cornmeal.

Only instead of AP flour, I used whole wheat.

Delicious. πŸ™‚

I have a big task that needs to get done tonight.

Kelly’s bridal shower invitations are going in the mail this week!

I’ll share more once people start receiving them – I don’t want to spoil it. πŸ˜‰

Good Night!

1 Alejandra March 13, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Oh I’ve seen those hummus things on airplanes! I think Delta includes them in one of their “snack packs.” Very fun!
Alejandra recently posted..Peanut Butter Oatmeal Pancakes & the Nuts About Oats Contest

2 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More March 13, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Hummus in a tube?! that is a little weird. At first I thought it was one of those popsicles we used to get at the after school program in elementary school…
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Inspiration // March Photo a Day

3 Meghann March 13, 2012 at 10:22 pm

That’s the first thing I thought of too!

4 Sana March 13, 2012 at 10:20 pm

I like dipping into a tub of hummus, a tube is not the sameee!
Sana recently posted..Two Ingredient Greek Yogurt Pie

5 Haley March 13, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Holy invite pile, MOH….you’ve got yourself quite a little party that’s being planned there, ey?

6 Liz @ Tip Top Shape March 13, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Hummus in a tube is a really great idea! I’d never seen that before, either!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Tuesday Giggles

7 Molly March 13, 2012 at 11:06 pm

I’ve had those hummus tubes on flights to Europe for the past few years – not bad at all!
Molly recently posted..Achievement Motivation

8 Emily @LivingLongfellow March 13, 2012 at 11:07 pm

There it is, a super simple chili recipe that doesn’t take all day to make. Those hummus squeezes remind me of the sour creams that come in those packets. They are convenient. I always think about the material they’re made of when I debate about buying a new product. Those look like they’re covered in the wax paper. I’ve tried to have them recycle those here and nobody will take them. Maybe it’ll come out in a more reusable product.
Emily @LivingLongfellow recently posted..Squirrel Chasing Spring

9 MrsSwan March 13, 2012 at 11:12 pm

My dinner was interesting as well. Can’t wait to hear more details about your sisters shower. I would have printed them on address labels so that addressing the wedding invites would be a breeze. πŸ™‚
MrsSwan recently posted..C25K day 1 – Completed

10 Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon March 14, 2012 at 6:21 am

I’ve had that hummus in a tube before! My dad brought it home from some work event! I agree that it is not the best hummus ever but is definitely handy! If I remember correctly, I brought it on a car trip and dipped carrot sticks right into the tube!
Jamie @ Don’t Forget the Cinnamon recently posted..Ben & Jerry’s Greek Frozen Yogurt: Reviewed

11 emily March 14, 2012 at 7:17 am

eep. have fun addressing those. its a big job!
emily recently posted..Meals at Home? Kinda…

12 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City March 14, 2012 at 9:38 am

Weird, hummus from a tube? I like the convenience factor but would probably miss the hummus being cold. It tastes refreshing that way!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..WIAW {03-14-2012}

13 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss March 14, 2012 at 12:33 pm

I got that same hummus from the Williamsburg Run for the Dream Half Marathon! I thought it looked so strange.. and completely weirded me out that it didn’t need to be refrigerated.
Alyssa @ Life of bLyss recently posted..Taper Tips

14 Victoria Runs March 14, 2012 at 1:48 pm

I have had the hummus tube before on airplanes in their snack packs! Not bad πŸ™‚ But my favorite in the healthy snack pack is the Nutella cup and graham cracker sticks!