more ยป" />

Up and Running

by Meghann on March 6, 2012

Good Morning!

I was oddly excited to run this morning. Not all mornings are like that. Some mornings I have to mentally prepare myself for the challenge of getting dressed, putting on running shoes. and heading out the door (especially after going to bed well past my bedtime the night before). Other mornings I wake up and just want to run.

This morning I just wanted to run.

My garmin took annoyingly long to find satellite (no, i have not moved hundreds of miles since my last use thankyouverymuch), but once it did – I was off. Legs felt great. My breath was in control. And that ‘8:30 pace’ on my training plan today? Pshhh…. I could beat that.

I ended up circling the 5 miles around my block in 40:23 with an 8:04 pace. I’ll take it. ๐Ÿ™‚

Now the real challenge comes during my road trip to Austin and adventures at SXSW this coming week. Can I keep up with my training plan while driving halfway across the US and hanging out at one of the biggest social media events of the year? Umm… we’ll see. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I made a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast.

in the mix:

• 1/3 cup rolled oats
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1/3 cup water
  • chia seeds
  • dried fruit pieces
  • cinnamon

On top:

• almond butter
  • apple
  • walnuts
  • Kashi Go Lean Crunch

I’m to the point now where I’m going through a huge container of walnuts every week and a half. I seriously can not get enough. Walnut = love ๐Ÿ™‚

And with that, I’m off to Orlando!

Let the Chevy Sponsored Fresh Squeezed South By Southwest Road Trip begin!

What’s the longest road trip you’ve ever been on?

I think driving from Orlando to Austin may be the winner for me, but I’ve had a few friends that have driven from Florida all the way to California before (for fun!). I’m more of a travel-by-air type of girl. ๐Ÿ˜‰

1 Krissy @ Shiawase Life March 6, 2012 at 9:49 am

Have a safe trip, Meghann! Sounds like such a blast…and great run to start the day off with ๐Ÿ˜€
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..Twisted Tuesday

2 Megan @ Life As Megan Knows It March 6, 2012 at 9:50 am

I drove from New Jersey to Orlando when I was younger but I am to young to remember all the details… I do remember my dad taking out the middle seat in the mini-van and making a bed for my brother and I. That would totally not fly now-a-days but it was still fun ๐Ÿ™‚
Megan @ Life As Megan Knows It recently posted..Tone It Up Day 1

3 Mary @ food and fun on the run March 6, 2012 at 9:50 am

I have driven from Tampa to Colorado 3 different times! We were definitely a road trip kind of family!
Mary @ food and fun on the run recently posted..Michelob Ultra Challenge: How To Run 4 Races in 2 Days

4 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen March 6, 2012 at 9:52 am

I’ve driven from FL to NY 3 times, without stopping. 25 hours straight is really no fun. Have a great trip!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Shamrock smoothie

5 Lindsey March 6, 2012 at 9:54 am

Last Aug/Sept me and my husband started in Alberta, Canada and drove to Anaheim for the Disneyland Half Marathon ๐Ÿ™‚ We were gone 11 days, drive 6500km and through 8 states. It was a total blast!
Lindsey recently posted..Treadmill Running

6 Aimee @ Happy Medium March 6, 2012 at 9:54 am

I’m so excited that you’re going to SXSW! Can’t wait to hear all about it. ๐Ÿ™‚

7 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats March 6, 2012 at 9:56 am

Ah I hate when my garmin can’t find a satellite! Especially when it’s freezing cold outside and I’m standing around waiting! I think the longest roadtrip I’ve taken was from Flagstaff, AZ to Kansas City, MO. Was about a 20 hour drive, and we did it in two days.
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Inserts and Monster Balls

8 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope March 6, 2012 at 9:56 am

Have a safe trip! Austin is fun!! Can’t wait to read about it ๐Ÿ™‚
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..There Is Nothing Wrong With Being Cheesyโ€ฆ

9 mindy @ just a one girl revolution. March 6, 2012 at 9:57 am

My longest road trip(s) have been from Michigan to the Gulf Coast (New Orleans twice, Biloxi twice) for Katrina relief work when I was in college!
mindy @ just a one girl revolution. recently posted..second swim.

10 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups March 6, 2012 at 9:58 am

One of my first trips with my now fiance was a road trip from Orlando to DC. It was a great opportunity for us to be stuck in a car together for 10 hours. Luckily, we never ran out of things to talk about!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Funky Monkey Wine Co.

11 Laura @ Backstage Balance March 6, 2012 at 10:04 am

You’re going to have an incredible time! A trip to SXSW (music) has been on my life list for awhile. Maybe next year!
Laura @ Backstage Balance recently posted..The Del Fuegos, Peter Frampton, and Kennedy-era fitness

12 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life March 6, 2012 at 10:07 am

I prefer flying over road trips (I tend to get car sick, boo!) but the longest I’ve ever gone is probably Ohio to Daytona Beach. It was fun though because I went with my friend and her family so we had movies and plenty of talk time without having to worry about driving!
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Chefโ€™s Night Off

13 faith @ For the Health of It March 6, 2012 at 10:10 am

I ended up buying bus tickets from orlando to illinois for my best friend’s wedding (looong story involving many glasses of wine and $850 airplane tickets). That’s coming up at the end of the month and it’ll definitely be the longest road trip I’ve ever taken – one day and 9 hours each way! Yikes!

14 Yellow Haired Girl March 6, 2012 at 10:16 am

I just did a six hour road trip, both ways, by myself this weekend ๐Ÿ™‚ I would MUCH rather fly!!

15 Jen @nutcaseinpoint March 6, 2012 at 10:18 am

Ack, I just moved from Boston to Calgary, AB and DROVE to make the move. With an antsy chocolate lab. IT TOOK FOREVER. 42 hours to be exact. # of moose sightings? zero. total fail. But glad to be here!
Jen @nutcaseinpoint recently posted..Iโ€™m pretty sure Iโ€™m gonna die..

16 Cat @ Breakfast to Bed March 6, 2012 at 10:20 am

18 hours from Ohio to Miami!! It sucked. A lot.
Cat @ Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Robots Live In Tuscanny

17 Christina @ Food.Fitness.Fun. March 6, 2012 at 10:34 am

I love road trips! The longest one was 10 days through the East Coast of Canada and then down through Maine into Boston. The longest we’ve driven in a single day was from Ontario (Canada) to South Carolina, it took about 20 hours.

18 colleen March 6, 2012 at 10:48 am

I have those mornings also. Today was one of those, ‘I don’t want to leave my warm bed to exercise.’ Have a great road trip! The longest road trip for me was three years ago when we moved from the beaches of NC to Iowa .

19 Jessica @ The Process of Healing March 6, 2012 at 10:52 am

Have fun!
And I LOVE mornings like that!!!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..A Few Things

20 Justy2003 March 6, 2012 at 11:03 am

My longest road trip has probably been from South Dakota to Ohio when we were moving or when I moved from Ohio to Texas. Enjoy the SXSW…I’ve heard it’s an aaaaamazing time!

Also, instead of waiting for your Garmin to find satellites outside, have you ever put it on a window sill to let it find them while you finish getting ready? That’s what I always do and it’s ready to go when I am! I know how frustrating it can be to wait on it to find satellites. I get pretty annoyed when I forget to put it on my window sill beforehand.

21 Megan @ Megan's Munchies March 6, 2012 at 11:07 am

Wishing you safe travels!!! You are going to have a blast!
Megan @ Megan’s Munchies recently posted..Birthday Cake Oreo Funfetti Cupcakes

22 Melissa March 6, 2012 at 11:07 am

When I moved my best friend from Ft. Lauderdale out to Austin, that was probably my longest road trip. Florida is such a HUGE state, I think it took us 11 hours just to make it to Alabama. Insane.

You’re going to have a great time at SXSW, it’s seriously so much fun. You’ll also LOVE Austin, it’s hard not to want to get out and go for a run here. Such an active city! Put running Town Lake on your to-do list ๐Ÿ™‚
Melissa recently posted..Mulderbosch Cabernet Sauvignon Rosรฉ 2011

23 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City March 6, 2012 at 11:11 am

I grew up in one of those “road trip families”, the ones that figured why fly when you can drive somewhere. So I’ve driven from Michigan to Texas, Michigan to Florida, etc. Nothing quite like 3 days in the car with your family ๐Ÿ™‚
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Lemon Poppyseed Oatmeal

24 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep March 6, 2012 at 11:14 am

Have a safe trip! My longest road trip was from Pennsylvania to Colorado to help my then-boyfriend move. It was awesome but pretty boring. States like Nebraska and Indiana really had nothing to look at.
Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep recently posted..Disneyโ€™s Princess Half Marathon 2012 Recap

25 Alaina March 6, 2012 at 11:28 am

Have an awesome trip!

My longest road trip was in high school (in Massachusetts) and I was dating someone who graduated from Basic Training in Georgia. I was with his family so we took turns driving, but that was the longest time in a car for me.
Alaina recently posted..Something to Smile About

26 Melissa March 6, 2012 at 11:31 am

I have been following your blog for about a year now and look forward to reading it every day ๐Ÿ™‚ I love all things running and fitness related and recently ran my first half-marathon in January. I live in Austin and have been in this amazing and fun city for most of my life. I hope you have a great time at SXSW and enjoy Austin. Let me know if you need any ideas of things to do/places to visit while you are here!

27 Meghann March 6, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Hi Melissa!! ANY info you can share about Austin would be great! I’ve never been and look forward to exploring the city!

28 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife March 6, 2012 at 11:31 am

Have fun and be safe!

Longest road trip ever : StL to Myrtle Beach. It was loooonnnnggg. I so prefer flying. Hah
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Put The Work In

29 Lena @Fit on the Rocks March 6, 2012 at 11:36 am

You’re going to have so much fun at the conference! My longest road trip was from Colorado to Alabama when I was a kid. Thankfully, I don’t remember any of it.
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Coming Out From Hibernation

30 Emily March 6, 2012 at 11:37 am

nice run to start your day, Meghann!
Emily recently posted..Annual Goals = RUN A LOT

31 Hilary March 6, 2012 at 11:41 am

I grew up driving to Myrtle Beach from Ontario every summer, so I’m a road trip kinda girl. And FYI, I learned from yesterday’s Rachael Ray show that you can use walnuts to get scratches off of hard wood floors.
Hilary recently posted..Shaking things up.

32 MrsSwan March 6, 2012 at 11:42 am

I’ve done PA to Miami, FL but it was on a greyhound. LOL Me actually driving I have only gone from Central FL to Virginia.

Be safe! Can’t wait for pictures and your thoughts on the trip.
MrsSwan recently posted..I world is ending! I RAN.

33 Shanna @Stilettos and Running Shoes March 6, 2012 at 12:00 pm

I’m going to SXSW, too! Let’s meet up for a run!
ps. I’m trying desperately to still fit in my running/training. That saturday morning long run though… probably won’t happen ๐Ÿ˜›
Shanna @Stilettos and Running Shoes recently posted..Move complete!!! My things just arrived! Yay!

34 Regina March 6, 2012 at 12:35 pm

My husband and I just moved from Austin last month! It’s gorgeous there, you’ll love it. If you get a chance try to find Towne Lake (aka Lady Bird Lake). There’s an amazing and beautiful running trail around the entire lake that’s equipped with free, donated water stops along the way, tons of gorgeous views and really nice mix of flat surfaces and hills (nothing too tough for a Floridian runner).
Regina recently posted..Week 14

35 Socal Rachel March 6, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Yeah for days you just want to run! Your road trip sounds fun. Twice as a kid we drove from So Cal to North Dakota. I hated it and to this day I won’t take a road trip that is more than a day, I prefer to fly.
Socal Rachel recently posted..Friends Despite Language Barriers – Jan 19

36 Ari @ AriTiana March 6, 2012 at 12:49 pm

My longest trip was from Southern Virginia to Orlando for vacation when I was younger…twice. My husband is from Ocala so I’m sure we’ll be making that same trip often in the future.

37 Coco March 6, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Iโ€™m definitely more of a road tripper than a flyer.. God I hate to fly (I didnโ€™t fly until I was 21!) The longest road trip Iโ€™ve been on was this past summer.. From RI to CT to CA (Lake Tahoe) and then on the way home CA to Colorado, back tracked to Salt Lake City (basically 18 hours out of the way!) back to CT then RI.. For a grand total of OVER 7000 miles in 21 days.. Epic road trip.. seriously exhausting and definite times where I just wanted out of the car- and we took my car.. (a 2010 2 door Toyota Yaris hatchback..) We had the back seats folded down- shoved all of our stuff on one side and made a little place to sleep back there.. Taking shifts of about 3 hours- one driving one of us sleeping.. though one night on the way home I drove for over 5 hours in the wee hours of the morning, the hardest hours to stay awake!
Overall it was probably one of the most fun adventures I have ever had- something that I always wanted to do, and I hope to do it again.. Next time enjoying the stops a little more instead of just blowing through each place.
Have a safe trip!
Coco recently posted..Look what I gotโ€ฆ. + Jack Lalanne + injury update

38 corey @ learning patience March 6, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Have fun at SXSW – it’s a ton of fun but Asutin is downright crazy this time of year…be careful driving….LOTS of traffic in Houston…

xoxo from Trinidad
corey @ learning patience recently posted..Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie nโ€™ Oreo Fudge Brownie Bar

39 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More March 6, 2012 at 1:55 pm

My longest road trip was my move from New York to So Cal. It was just me and a lot of fun. Well…until I got stuck in Utah to get a new transmission. lol! At least I can look back at laugh… ๐Ÿ˜‰
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Music Monday // Tycho

40 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama March 6, 2012 at 2:08 pm

The longest road trip for me was when my family traveled from Michigan to Alaska. We were gone 3 months!

My husband and I moved ourselves from Michigan to Virginia. It’s a scary thing to be driving a U-haul while towing a car in the mountains and hoping that the breaks work!

Have fun and hope you raise lots of $ for the classrooms!
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Running For Fun

41 April March 6, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Your trip sounds like so much fun–especially in a fancy schmancy new car! The longest road trip I have been on was when I moved from Oregon to Michigan for grad school. I went from Oregon and did a little curve through Idaho, down to Colorado, through the Midwest, into Chicago then Michigan. It was super fun!

42 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness March 6, 2012 at 2:54 pm

I can totally relate to your running feelings. There are some days I swear the treadmill has an incline (even though I am NOT) and other days where it seems like a breeze.
I moved from Colorado to New York City in a Penske truck WITH a dog and a cat. That is the longest for me!
Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..No money, no time? Get fit at home!

43 Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt March 6, 2012 at 3:50 pm

My husband and I traveled on our motorcycles from Michigan to Washington! That was a long trip when your on a motorcycle, I have to say it was an adventurer.
Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt recently posted..Keeping My Tank Full

44 Cait's Plate March 6, 2012 at 4:07 pm

My sister and I drove to TX when she was beginning grad school at UT. We started in CT! It took us 3 days and it was a blast!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Ten Things Tuesday

45 April March 6, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Hi there! I’m new to the blog – came over from Fitness – but saw you were headed to SXSW and wanted to share with you there is a running club that has been meeting at SXSW for several years now. You may already be aware of it, but if not, I wanted to pass it on! http://www.facebook.com/groups/8415312365/

Have a great trip! I live in California now, but Austin is home – SXSW is a great time!

46 Meghann March 6, 2012 at 6:48 pm

THANK YOU! Someone shared that link with me over Twitter and I immediately went to check it out. Can’t wait! ๐Ÿ™‚

47 Allpointswhole March 7, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Great job on the run, speedy!$

48 Kate @ ibrokemyumbrella March 7, 2012 at 3:44 pm

I love when it asks the 100s of miles question. That always makes me laugh.
Kate @ ibrokemyumbrella recently posted..Snooki was on to something

49 Molly March 7, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Go running at Town Lake!!!
Molly recently posted..Happy Leap Day

50 Joss March 7, 2012 at 7:30 pm

I took a bus from Ontario Canada to Tulsa Oklahoma..itttt was killer!
Joss recently posted..The Positive Affirmation Project Wrap Up