Ready for Bed

by Meghann on March 4, 2012

After a jammed packed Saturday and a race-filled morning, whose idea was it to run several errands this afternoon? Oh, yeah – mine.

Apparently my goal is to pack as much as I can into a single weekend. Gah. Rookie mistake. Derek and I hit up Target, Whole Foods, Best Buy, and Publix this afternoon before I had to call uncle. I was wiped and could barely keep my eyes open in Publix. Did we buy all the groceries we needed? I’m not really sure – it was already nap time in my mind.

We came home and I slept for two hours straight. Man did I need that.

Before we ran our errands, Derek and I split the pizza and salad left overs from the weekend. I had two slices of last night’s pizza and the last of Friday night’s salad.

That lunch didn’t hold me over for long. I ended up purchasing a small thing of a butternut squash based soup in Whole Foods as a pick-me-up snack. Random, but delicious.

IMG_0033_2.JPG

After my two hour nap, Derek assisted me in preparing what I had originally planned for Friday night’s dinner – roasted vegetables and meatballs!

The vegetables (beets, parsnips, yellow bell pepper, and cauliflower)

The meatballs

Simple Turkey Meatballs

• 1 lb ground turkey
  • 3 tbsp spicy mustard
  • 3 tbsp ketchup
  • 2 tbsp dijon mustard
  • 2 tbsp fresh parsley
  • 1 tbsp chili powder
  • 1 cup panko bread crumbs
  • salt and pepper

Combine everything in a large mixing bowl, form into balls, and bake at 375 for 20 minutes.

The complete meal (w/ bread)

And a beer to wash it all down with. 🙂

IMG_0072.jpg

For dessert I had some of the pastries my dad had purchased this morning. My dad wasn’t a fan, but I thought they were pretty good.

Before I head to bed, I wanted to share what my sister posted on DailyMile about today’s race. If you ever start doubting your abilities and training – read this. Trust me. Just further proof that you never truly know how a race is going to go until you start it.

Gasparilla Half Marathon 13.1 mi 01:47 08:10 pace

This morning I woke up questioning my ability to reach my goal of sub 1:50 or even PR (under 1:51:37). My legs were a bit sore/tired from my fast 5k yesterday. Plus it was pouring rain and super windy on our way to the start line of the half. Thank goodness the rain stopped just in time. I started the race feeling sluggish. Thank goodness Meghann was by my side pulling me forward. I agreed to keep an 8:15 pace at the start of the race and I tried my best to keep that or under. At the 5 mile marker I took a goo gel. By mile 7 I was starting to feel better than I did the previous miles. Maybe it was the goo energy kicking in? I played “Til I Collapse” by Eminem on repeat on my ipod and that really got my legs moving. I realized that the 8 minute pace I was holding on accident felt great and decided to trust my legs and go with it. The wind gusts were getting stronger but I kept telling myself “No excuses” and fought through the bursts of resistance. I started tackling the race one mile at a time. Once I hit mile 12 I thought only about making it to the next quarter mile. I repeated my favorite mantras in my head for motivation. I thought about how hard and challenging teaching has been (teaching high schoolers is no joke!), how hard it was to complete my masters degree and how much easier running is than anything else that is difficult in my life. I realized that my 1:50 goal was in the bag, but I wanted more. As much time below 1:50 as I could get my hands on. I saw my parents cheering on the side (and my Dad in Meghann’s small pink jacket). I tried to wave, but I was hurting. Seeing the finish line was such a sweet sight. I fist pumped once I crossed the finish line and looked down to see my time. 1:47:10. Where the hell did that awesome run come from?!

Good Night!

Psst…. the winner of the Shabby Apple Dress giveaway was Kaye. Congrats!

1 Christine @ BookishlyB March 4, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Not that your readers don’t love you, but I’d love to see a guest post from Kelly! I was just starting to read her blog when she decided to stop posting (which is totally understandable- I remember how overwhelming the first of teaching was). Congrats on a good race.
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Pinterest May Be Evil… and Some Book Pictures

2 MrsSwan March 4, 2012 at 11:03 pm

I can’t even imagine how tired you are after your weekend. I just sat on my butt at work today and went grocery shopping and I am tired. LOL
MrsSwan recently posted..T to the R to the I to the E to the D

3 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife March 4, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Just reading this all makes ME tired. Hah. Sleep WELL!!!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Whole Wheat Pancakes

4 Lily March 4, 2012 at 11:18 pm

That recipe looks so delicious! I’m gonna have to try that.
Lily recently posted..So Totally Lame

5 maria @ Chasing the Now March 4, 2012 at 11:34 pm

You both did excellent at that half! Congrats! 🙂
maria @ Chasing the Now recently posted..A rough start

6 Christine @ Oatmeal in my Bowl March 5, 2012 at 12:11 am

Those turkey meatballs… yum! Bet they would work well in the crockpot too. Meatballs always work really well at our parties. We usually make a bbq set and a teriyaki set. The turkey would work great with teriyaki!

7 Kathy March 5, 2012 at 6:34 am

You inspire me to eat better and run better…thanks!

We leave for Florida tomorrow!! So excited….can’t wait to catch up with all the blogs I love when I get back.
Kathy recently posted..My new BEST friend…

8 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope March 5, 2012 at 7:52 am

You had a very exciting yet tiring weekend! You deserve to get some sleep! I hope you feel well rested today. 🙂 Those turkey meatballs look great!
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..A Smoothie Disaster…

9 Emily March 5, 2012 at 8:09 am

yay, congrats to your sister for reaching her goal. that is awesome!
Emily recently posted..Sunday – Rest Day

10 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City March 5, 2012 at 8:22 am

I always get that exhausted feeling post longer runs. I usually finish the run feeling great and with a runner’s high that misleads me into thinking I can do anything that day (like run a bunch of errands or go shopping all day). It only takes a few hours before my body realizes it’s mistake and I start crashing!!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Monday Goals: Week 2

11 corey @ learning patience March 5, 2012 at 8:22 am

Awesome.I love your sisters post – that’s how I felt in my 10 mile run Sunday. A HUGE congrats to her … think I will head over now to friend her on the DM.

xoxo from Trinidad
corey @ learning patience recently posted..UpMarket – A Must Do

12 Alaina March 5, 2012 at 8:45 am

Thank you so much for sharing Kelly’s recap!! I’ve PR’d on two races so far this year and those similar thoughts have gone through my mind. She did a GREAT job!!
Alaina recently posted..Chart House

13 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats March 5, 2012 at 8:55 am

Congrats to your sister!! I’ll be using that as inspiration on my first half marathon in a month! And all those errands sound exhausting! Lol I would have passed out too!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Random Musings of My Life

14 Hillary March 5, 2012 at 9:01 am

I love Kelly’s reminder to herself that, with all the difficult things in her life, running is the EASIEST! I’m running my second half marathon in two weeks, and I really want to PR. I’m totally going to use that strategy: constantly reminding myself that teaching middle school kids and getting my Master’s at the same time is hard; in retrospect, running is a breeze!
Hillary recently posted..(Green) Apple Pie Smoothie & Oatmeal Graham “Crust” Cookies

15 Mary @ food and fun on the run March 5, 2012 at 10:16 am

I took a 2.5 hour nap yesterday around 1pm! I was soo exhausted. Then I even went to sleep at 9:30pm for the night. I guess I needed to play a little catch up 🙂
Mary @ food and fun on the run recently posted..Michelob Ultra Challenge: How To Run 4 Races in 2 Days

16 Kristen March 5, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Congrats to both of you! And now I am playing that Eminem song on repeat while I sit at my desk at work 🙂

Trying to fit in everything on the weekend is my problem too! I end up exhausted from racing around from one place to another…I can’t imagine doing that after running a half marathon! Props for lasting as long as you did 🙂
Kristen recently posted..First American Wine Tasting