Tutu Confession

by Meghann on February 29, 2012

This week has been a busy one.

I have two or three big projects I’ve been working on, plus the Healthy Living Summit stuff that has finally started to come together (I hope to have more details soon!). The last three mornings I’ve sat at my computer and worked straight from breakfast to lunch without moving an inch. When I looked to the right corner of my screen today and saw 1:15pm – I couldn’t believe it. Where does the time go?

Luckily I still had the griddle out from breakfast and could easily take advantage of it for heating up a quick lunch.

I sliced an apple chicken sausage down the middle and opened it to lay flat on the griddle and cook. Next to the sausage, I heated up a serving of leftover quinoa from yesterday with some saurkraut. The quinoa and saurkraut heated up fairly quickly on the griddle and was served with the chicken sausage on top.

The whole combo was really good, but I’m convinced you can pair anything with quinoa and it will be amazing. That’s why I like starches, because they’re so versatile that you can match them with anything.

On the side I heated up a packet of frozen green beans because I felt my plate was missing a little green.

I had a piece of strawberry pie for dessert.

Official Photos

The official Princess Half Marathon photos were released today and the only thing I could do was laugh when I saw the hilariousness of them all.

Screen shot 2012-02-29 at 12.54.06 PM.png Screen shot 2012-02-29 at 12.56.35 PM.png

I don’t know about you, but I think these babies are keepers. πŸ˜‰

Don’t get me wrong, I had a blast running in my Belle costume on Sunday. It was fun to play dress-up (which is still one of my favorite games as an adult) and to wear a tiara, but I have a teeny tiny confession to make – I’m not a fan of any of my photos with the costume on.

Screen shot 2012-02-29 at 12.54.47 PM.png Screen shot 2012-02-29 at 12.55.23 PM.png

Tutus are fun to wear and make, but – damn! – they are unflattering. They are just not made for short-torso-ed girls with any jiggle around the belly area. Not at all. Granted I saw some adorable girls who could really pull the tutus off, but it just was not working for me.

Screen shot 2012-02-29 at 12.55.45 PM.png  Screen shot 2012-02-29 at 12.57.01 PM.png

However, even knowing all of this, I would probably still wear a tutu (or Team Sparkle skirt!) if I were to run the race again next year. There’s something about the pure fun-ness of wearing a tutu that counterbalances the unflattering-ness of it. So I don’t like my photos. Big whoop. I have the special memories that mean so much more. πŸ™‚

What are your thoughts on running in tutus? Yay or nay?

P.S. Check out the video they posted of Theodora and I passing the castle. You can see where we stopped to snap a couple of photos before taking off.

1 Danielle February 29, 2012 at 2:33 pm

You look cute! Ha. I myself have never tried running in a tutu… but I think I would like it :). I imagine it would keep the entire run light and entertaining, no matter how hard it got.
Danielle recently posted..the berkshires winter getaway, part 2

2 wymberley February 29, 2012 at 2:34 pm

I don’t think I could handle all the tulle between my legs…I know, TWSS
wymberley recently posted..Doodah Day !!!

3 Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt February 29, 2012 at 2:42 pm

I think you ladies looked super cute! I
Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt recently posted..Keeping up with Kale

4 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life February 29, 2012 at 2:42 pm

I think you look adorable! The fact you ran with the crown on your head the whole time is super impressive to me! I would love to run in a tutu at least one time in my life lol! I am thinking maybe the Disney Princess Half next year! πŸ™‚
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..WIAW Round 2

5 Victoria (District Chocoholic) February 29, 2012 at 2:43 pm

The team sparkle skirts are actually incredibly flattering. Or at least, I like the way I look in them – and I’m definitely not low on the jiggle scale.
Victoria (District Chocoholic) recently posted..Wheat-Free Cashew Chocolate Chunk Cookies

6 Sana February 29, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Hahah, I am sure the point is to look a little silly πŸ™‚
Sana recently posted..Day 11&12

7 Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 29, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Those pictures are adorable!! And my thoughts on the tutu–only in Disney! lol
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Pet Peeve Wednesday

8 Cait's Plate February 29, 2012 at 2:49 pm

The last two aren’t bad (other than the framing of them)! And all the more reason to run again next year for another shot at some photos πŸ˜‰
Cait’s Plate recently posted..A Natural Beauty?

9 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City February 29, 2012 at 2:51 pm

I’ve never even tried wearing a running skirt so I can’t really comment on the tutu thing. I think running in costume can be really tricky though, I mean what do you really want to wear when pushing yourself for long distances?

But, I do think they’re really cute for disney runs or other costume focused events πŸ™‚
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..WIAW {02-29-2012}

10 Sarah February 29, 2012 at 2:52 pm

I think you look adorable! I bet the reason you don’t like your tummy in some of those pictures is because the tutu didn’t quite sit straight across your body, creating a curvy line that really doesn’t exist. Try using thicker elastic next time?

11 Poptartyogini February 29, 2012 at 3:17 pm

I think you rocked that tutu. You looked adorable!
Poptartyogini recently posted..yoga: back in the saddle

12 Callie @ The Wannabe Athlete February 29, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Whatever. I looked hot in my tutu. πŸ™‚
Callie @ The Wannabe Athlete recently posted..What’s Next?

13 Theodora February 29, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Yeah you did!
Theodora recently posted..7 Things I Learned from the Princess Half

14 Catalina @ Cake with Love February 29, 2012 at 3:29 pm

You look so cute in those photos!

15 Ericka @ The Sweet Life February 29, 2012 at 3:33 pm

I guess my thing with tutus is I’ve seen them so many times. It sometimes looks like people are trying too hard to be cute. Totally not trying to diss you and the ladies (love you all!) but that’s just what always creeps into my mind when I see people wearing them at races. Now, granted, you were at Disney so that might be the one place it’s 100% cool! That being said, if a bunch of my friends wanted to race in tutu costumes together, I’d probably do it. Ha.
Ericka @ The Sweet Life recently posted..Crossfit: And So It Begins

16 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 29, 2012 at 3:33 pm

You are being way too critical, those pictures look cute!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..WIAW–The Vanishing Day

17 Anne February 29, 2012 at 3:49 pm

I don’t think you look bad at all! I chose not to wear a tutu (or in my case a four-four), because I was afraid that I would look dumpy. Also, I wasn’t sure how my arms would hit it. Of course it was my spi-belt that looks like a fanny pack that really made me look dumpy! πŸ™
Anne recently posted..Disney Princess Half Marathon Recap

18 Jen @ Whittle My Middle February 29, 2012 at 4:37 pm

That lunch looks amazing!
I love the tutu pics! they are super cute
Jen @ Whittle My Middle recently posted..Weekday Munchies

19 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness February 29, 2012 at 4:52 pm

I think you look cute in your tutu! Did you make that??
This is probably really dumb of me, but I have never ever thought of cooking a sausage cut in half like that and I think it is such a good idea! What was I thinking?? Thanks for the simple tip!
Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..Race Time: Tackle Your Spring Training Plan

20 JessicaE February 29, 2012 at 6:03 pm

I don’t see ANYTHING unflattering about your pictures… at all. I don’t see how the tutu makes you look heavy around the middle. I know body insecurities are tough and normal, but it seems like such a sad thing to focus on when you had this amazing opportunity. πŸ™

21 Jess-ThatJessGal February 29, 2012 at 6:28 pm

I wonder how they tag everyone in the video….It’s one thing to figure out bib #’s in a still photograph, but in moving film? Brightroom must have amazing “bib faeries!”
Jess-ThatJessGal recently posted..This Post is Brought to You by the Letter S

22 Courtney February 29, 2012 at 7:02 pm

As a former ballerina, I love tutus! πŸ˜€
Courtney recently posted..Spring 2012

23 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife February 29, 2012 at 7:31 pm

I think you look cute in ’em! At least you have fun! And tutus are the best–I was a ballerina, so tutus rock to me πŸ˜‰
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Whey + Guest Post : SPINNING Love

24 Mary February 29, 2012 at 7:53 pm

I think you looked really cute in your tutu…and I would love to run that race in a tutu some day!

25 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama February 29, 2012 at 8:21 pm

It looks like you had a blast! It was fun so that all that matters, right? πŸ™‚
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Leap Day Plyometrics

26 Amanda @ Dogs, Chocolate and Fruits & Veggies February 29, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Tutus are like Karoke, when you are wearing them it is fun. Then after you are like ‘Did I really just do that’. But hey you always get a good laugh and wonderful memories!
Amanda @ Dogs, Chocolate and Fruits & Veggies recently posted..Healthy Bar Food????

27 Theodora February 29, 2012 at 9:24 pm

I like that last pic of us on the bottom left! So much fun πŸ™‚
Theodora recently posted..7 Things I Learned from the Princess Half

28 SkinnyRunner February 29, 2012 at 9:54 pm

ive never ran in a tutu but i LOVE running races dressed up in costumes. it just makes it so dang fun and you cant take yourself seriously.
SkinnyRunner recently posted..The Backyard Remodel–on the cheap

29 Hangry Pants February 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm

I’ve never taken a race photo I liked, so I am sure a tutu would only add to that!

30 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More February 29, 2012 at 10:28 pm

For me personally, I don’t think any photos of ME running 13 miles would be flattering…at all. ha! πŸ˜‰
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Foodie For a Day // What I Ate Part 3

31 Emily March 1, 2012 at 9:58 am

Yeah, I don’t think that a tutu will be something I will wear in a race. Does that make me vain? I am uncertain…

32 Charlene @ Little Miss Mochi March 1, 2012 at 10:52 am

I think your Belle outfit and tutu came out great! I tried to be a little different with my costume so that my boyfriend could find me easier. I dressed as Russel from Up! πŸ™‚ Not exactly a Princess, but it still fit the Disney genre!
Charlene @ Little Miss Mochi recently posted..February in a post

33 Megan in Womderland March 1, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I think you are being way too hard on yourself! You look so cute in the tutu. I’ve done two races in a tutu, including this Princess. The first one was longer, like yours, and the one I wore this weekend was shorter and much more like a ballerina’s tutu. Maybe next time make your tutu shorter and fuller? Ill send you pictures of mine.
Megan in Womderland recently posted..Frankenweenie Coming To Theaters in October

34 amy March 2, 2012 at 8:24 pm

I’ll be sporting a pirate inspired tutu this Sunday for the Gasparilla half /8k haha! Can’t wait!! It’s fun to not take yourself so serious plus it gives other’s something to laugh at when you pass them:) Happy running!