Mobile Hotspot

by Meghann on February 29, 2012

Good Morning!

I decided to skip NROLFW this morning. Stage 7 has been rough in the sore-ness department and I just want to make sure I’m ready to go for Gasparilla on Sunday. Instead of NROLFW I took Maddie for a long walk around the neighborhood and completed YogaDownload.com’s Yoga for Runners (you can download the 20 minute podcasts via iTunes for free).

Unfortunately, Maddie and I had a tag along on our walk. One mile in, a black pitbull decided to join us. He was wandering the street sans tags and wanted to make friends. However, Maddie? Not so much. The pit was super friendly – almost too friendly – and scared the crap out of Maddie. A forty pound pit versus a twelve pound jack russell terrier? Yeah, Maddie did not like those odds.

I had to pick Maddie up to stop her from whining and snapping. I’ve never seen her more scared of another dog before. The pit was friendly, but that doesn’t mean he wasn’t intimidating as well. He continued to follow us, so I circled back and found the house I assumed was his home and stayed there until the pit eventually gave up and ran to one of the backyards.

Poor Maddie refused to be let down after that and continued to jump in my arms until we reached our front door. It’s one thing to carry Maddie down the street, but for a full mile back to the house? I guess I got my arm workout in for the day.

My breakfast this morning was a little mid-week treat.

Two slices of french toast (whole wheat bread that I dipped in an egg, milk, and vanilla extract mix, then fried on the griddle) covered with cinnamon apples and a thinned PB2 mix (who needs syrup when you have PB2?).

So. Good. I think it was the PB2 ‘glaze’ on top. I really enjoy PB2 because you can make it as thin or as thick as you want, which is perfect when you want to use it as a topping. It definitely added a level of pea-nutty goodness to my french toast.

What’s your favorite french toast topping? I think this morning’s combo just moved high up on my life of faves, right behind fresh strawberries and cool whip. 🙂

Mobile Hotspot

I have to give Walt Disney World credit, they scored major brownie points by offering free in-room WiFi (something new that they’ve only started including in the last year or so), but when the connection fades in and out – and is painfully slow at best – I would almost rather fork over the traditional $12.95 a day just to guarantee a stronger connection.

I wasn’t the only one who had problems with the internet – each member of my group had similar issues. Most of them had given up trying to blog while on property, while others got lucky with the hit and miss connection and were able to post snippets of the weekend. I promise that none of us were openly complaining, just merely making the observation that the WiFi, well, sucked.

It wasn’t until the third day (after spending 30 minutes trying to upload a post that wasn’t budging) I decided to break out the Droid Razr that Verizon had sent as part of their Ambassador program and put the Mobile Hotspot connection to the test.

Honestly, I wasn’t sure how the Mobile Hotspot connection would work with uploading a post. I typically blog in Ecto (a program that allows you to blog off line and simply press ‘publish’ when you’re connected to the internet or ready to post) which usually requires a strong internet connection to upload all the photos at once (especially when there are a lot of them). I’ve heard from folks with other Mobile Hotspot devices that the internet connection can be slow when connected, and I was afraid it wouldn’t be strong enough to upload a photo-heavy post.

I crossed my fingers, turned the Mobile Hotspot on, found the signal in my list of networks, and connected using the password provided through the phone.

Screen shot 2012-02-29 at 8.58.17 AM.png

Whoa. What a difference.

I was blown away by how fast the Verizon Mobile Hotspot connection was right from the start. Before I touched anything, I pressed ‘publish’ on the post and watched it post almost immediately. FINALLY. I literally jumped up and starting doing my happy dance. From there on out, I relied on the Verzion Mobile Hotspot for internet through the rest of the weekend. The only hiccup was how fast producing the signal drained the Razr’s battery – which wasn’t an issue when it was plugged in for charging.

With the Mobile Hotspot connection being as fast as it was, I can definitely see this option coming in handy during future travels where the WiFi connection is low, unavailable, or $$. Of course, this only works if the cellphone has great reception, but that’s a risk you’d take anywhere.

Does your phone have Mobile Hotspot? What has your experience been with it?

Disclosure: I am participating in the Verizon Wireless Ambassadors’ Program and have been provided with a wireless device and three months of service in exchange for my honest opinions about the product. All opinions are my own.

1 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 29, 2012 at 10:44 am

Poor maddie! She mus have been totally freaked out by that dog! And your french toast looks delicious!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..WIAW–The Vanishing Day

2 Guest February 29, 2012 at 10:48 am

It’s only at the higher-end Disney Resorts, ironically, where they give the free Wi-Fi. I stayed at one of the value “resorts” recently and it was still $15 a day for wired Internet 🙁 I find that too bad, considering you can stay at plenty of other comparable places off-property in Kissimmee and Orlando and get Wi-Fi included, for a lower rate.

3 Meghann February 29, 2012 at 10:54 am

Yes, that’s typical for most hotels. It’s the pricier ones with the great locations that you pay for WiFi and the cheaper ones where it’s free. Disney got it backwards by giving their higher-end hotels free WiFi, but – honestly – I don’t mind paying for the WiFi in the better hotels if the connection is great. I’ve stayed at the Value Resorts on Disney property in the past and never had a problem with the internet that I paid for. They recently started offering the free WiFi at the other hotels (that are not the value resorts) and I think they still have a few kinks to work out. Hopefully they’ll fix it soon.

4 mel February 29, 2012 at 10:50 am

Aww I love Pits! They are the sweetest. I hope the baby found his home!

5 Cait's Plate February 29, 2012 at 10:55 am

I don’t think my phone does…or at least I’ve never discovered it if it does!

And YUM. That breakfast just made me desperately want french toast!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..A Natural Beauty?

6 Kristen @ notsodomesticated February 29, 2012 at 11:05 am

That French toast looks amazing! I love the idea of using the PB as a glaze. Yum!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..WIAW and I love Publix.

7 Theresa @ActiveEggplant February 29, 2012 at 12:08 pm

I love having a mobile hotspot! I was lucky enough to have it on my old phone (a Palm Pre) and still have it on my new Galaxy Nexus. The only caveat is that you burn through data pretty fast, so if you rely on your mobile hotspot a lot, make sure you have a high data allowance! I think most of the newer smart phones are hot spot capable – you just have to set it up & sometimes pay for the “access”. Definitely worth it if you ask me – I use mine every day because the internet at my office blocks most websites that aren’t directly related to my profession!
Theresa @ActiveEggplant recently posted..Princess Preparations

8 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife February 29, 2012 at 12:10 pm

I loooovveee French toast with strawbs and almond butter and a little syrup. Plus lots of cinnamon. SO good!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Whey + Guest Post : SPINNING Love

9 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City February 29, 2012 at 12:28 pm

I love pb2 sauce, it’s good on everything from yogurt to pancakes. Your breakfast looks great 🙂
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..WIAW {02-29-2012}

10 Racheal @ Running with Racheal February 29, 2012 at 1:34 pm

That’s funny because when I was in Disney trying to blog my hotspot was super slow, so instead I paid the $10 per day to hook up to the Ethernet cord. Hahahaha. The All Star Sports resort hasn’t upgraded to wireless. 😉

11 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning February 29, 2012 at 1:45 pm

I’ve been a huge fan of peanut flour for a while now, but ever since I discovered the chocolate flavor of PB2, I am officially obsessed. I just ordered 2 more jars of it online that should be waiting for me at my house when I get home!
My french toasts toppings are pretty much identical to yours- but I have to say that the BEST way to top it off is with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Mmmmmm.
Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning recently posted..Pampering and comfort food

12 Shannon February 29, 2012 at 1:57 pm

First off, it was so much fun hanging out with you at Disney this weekend! (this is Callie’s sister, in case you were wondering).
But the real reason I was commenting…. I have the same dishes as you!!! Dont they make you happy?!

Ok, that is all.

13 Lindsey February 29, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Greek yogurt (plain), berries and peanut butter.
Lindsey recently posted..Pumpkin Carrot Bran Muffins

14 Mary February 29, 2012 at 8:01 pm

I love strawberries, bluberries, or raspberries ( or mixed berries) heated with a drizzle of maple syrup – they thicken up a little when they cool and are great on french toast. I also like pumpkin and greek yogurt mixed with a drizzle of maple syrup and cinnamon for a creamier topping. I like to add a half scoop of vanilla protein powder to my milk and egg to up the protein content of my french toast too – it tastes great!

15 Maggie February 29, 2012 at 10:34 pm

I added a PB sauce to my waffles this morning instead of syrup! I liked the flavor and the extra protein vs. using actual syrup!
Maggie recently posted..WIAW Goes Green!

16 Charlene March 1, 2012 at 10:48 am

Thanks for making a post regarding using VZW’s hot spot! I’ve been kind of on the fence about it for a while, but I do wish that the price point for them would be cheaper. 🙁 I definitely would’ve gotten it for my phone (Thunderbolt) if it the cost was more reasonable.

Good luck with Gasparilla! I did that race last year, and I thought it was great!
Charlene recently posted..February in a post