Ben and Ashley’s Wedding: The Details

by Meghann on February 23, 2012

Derek is working from home today and asked me sometime around noon if we had anything in the kitchen for lunch. I said “sure, but you might have to get creative.”

Here’s my version of getting creative. πŸ˜‰

We had a head of cauliflower that had entered the use-it-or-lose-it stage of life, so I chopped it up and roasted it with some chili powder, salt and pepper. Bbq sauce is amazing on roasted cauliflower, in case you were wondering. πŸ˜‰

I also added the last of a container of cherry tomatoes to my plate.

I almost made an egg sandwich, but decided eggs-in-a-basket would be more fun. I used an Arnold’s Thin for the bread and smeared them with pumpkin butter.

See. There was food in the kitchen. It just took a little imagination to turn that food into lunch. πŸ˜‰

Ben and Ashley’s Wedding: The Details

Ben and Ashley did such a beautiful job with the little details of their wedding, that I thought they deserved their own post. Let me know if you have any questions about anything in the comments below and I’ll try to track Ashley down for the answers. πŸ™‚

On the Bride:

• Dress: Alfred Angelo’s (something new)
  • Shoes: Etsy (something blue)
  • Hairpiece: Alfred Angelo’s
  • Veil: A piece of my mom’s veil (something old) <- I’ll explain this in a later post
  • Jewelry: diamond earrings and necklace from her grandfather and a bracelet from her mother (something borrowed)
  • Hair & Make-up: Divine Image of Titusville

On the bridesmaids:

• Dresses: Alfred Angelos (Ashley told us we could pick whatever style of dress we liked from Alfred Angelos as long as the dress came in the cobalt blue color and was a certain material. Really it was just plain luck that we all selected similar styles – the only difference being that Chelsea and I had bows on our dresses. You can read about our dress shopping experience on THIS POST and I wrote about alterations HERE).
  • Shoes: DSW
  • Jewelry: American Eagle
  • Hair & Make-Up: Divine Image of Titusville

IMG_8649.jpg
The Flowers

• Flowers of Distinction of Titusville

Here’s a little secret – Ashley had all of the bouquets and boutonnieres in her possession 6 months before the wedding. How? They were all fake. Ashley is allergic to fresh flowers and – instead of swelling up like a balloon on her big day – opted for fake arrangements. This was also a great way to save a little money and – honestly? – I’m not even sure anyone noticed or cared. Everything was still beautiful and no eppie pens were needed <- huge plus. πŸ˜‰

The Reception

• Courtyard Marriott in Cocoa Beach

This was actually the same hotel our friend April had her reception last summer (recap here). The ballroom will technically seat up to 200, but I thought150 felt just right and much more than that would have been too tight. It was also nice that the hotel was right on the beach so the bridal party could get some great beach shots.

The Candy Buffet

On February 15th, Ashley was at Wal-Mart at 5:30am in order to be one of the first stock up on discounted Valentine’s Day candy. She ended up buying too much and having to return some, but it’s better to be over-prepared than under-prepared.

The candy buffet was a HUGE hit. Most of the containers were near empty by the end up the night and there was a constant flow of guests filling up the bags through the night.

Ashley made the sign herself.

IMG_8727.jpg

It read:

Candy Buffet

Step right up to the candy buffet

It’s a sweet addition to a wonderful day

This is a treat we are offering to you

On this beautiful date when we say I Do

Use the scoop, choose what you like

Leave some for others,

Be polite.

If you enjoy your bag of treats,

Please remember,

Love is Sweet!

Photo Collage

Two days before the wedding, my Dad and Ben built the photo collage that was displayed behind the present table. They cut two poles down to size, spray painted them black, and drilled three holes on each pole to attach the strings to. The night before the wedding, Ashley’s aunts set up up the photo collage behind the present and card table. The collage was made up of photos of Ben and Ashley growing up and of the two of them together over their five years of dating. Ashley didn’t even end up seeing the display in person and only saw it in photos the morning after.

The Guestbook

(no picture πŸ™ )

The guestbook was an address card holder that Ashley ordered off of Etsy. Each guest filled a card out with all of their contact information, birthday, and well wishes for the bride and groom.

Cupcakes

The cupcakes were from Caked with Love of Titusville, Florida.

Caked with Love is a local cupcake company run by Ashley’s good friend Melissa. Her cupcakes are AMAZING! They’re very tasty and so beautifully done. She did the same dark chocolate frosting for Ashley’s bridal shower cupcakes and I’ve been fantasizing about them ever since.

IMG_8722.JPG IMG_8723.JPG

Originally Ben was going to build a cupcake stand for the reception, but they realized that it was just about the same amount to buy one pre-made as it would be build it, and they ended up ordering one online.

IMG_8721.jpg

There was one minor hiccup at the reception when guests started eating the cupcakes before they cut the cake. I’m not sure they realized the cupcakes were the ‘cake’ and by the time it was time to cut the ‘cake’ – half of them were gone. Not cool. But there really wasn’t much you could do at that point. Oh well.

And just because this is the stuff I wonder about… Ashley ordered 160 cupcakes for 150 guests and ended up having some left over. I know she was told to order at least 1.5 cupcakes per guest when she was shopping cupcake bakeries, but having 1 per guest, plus an additional 10, worked out just fine.

Center Pieces

Ashley ordered the numbers off of Etsy (from here) and collected green wine bottles in the months leading up to the wedding. A week before the wedding, she recruited several family members to wrap the wine bottles with the numbers and fill them with peacock feathers that were held in place with wax.

IMG_8936.jpg

She ordered the candle votives in bulk from Dollar General. It was an easy centerpiece that fit the theme perfectly.

Peacock Feathers

Did you catch Ashley’s theme? Peacock feathers! She was inspired by a Victoria’s Secret runway show of all things and just ran with the idea. There were little touches of peacock feathers everywhere – from the jewelry the bridesmaids wore, to the feather on her beautiful blue shoes, to our bouquets, to the table numbers, etc.

I thought the touches of peacock feathers were fun and hope to incorporate snowflakes in the same fashion for my wedding.

Ben and Ashley did a fabulous job on their wedding. Everything was so beautiful and so them. However, in the end, the extra details are just fun touches for the day – what really matters is the love the radiated through every moment of their wedding and reception. This is something I need to remember in my own wedding planning. In the end, all that matters is the love and marriage, everything else is just, well, details.

IMG_9016.jpg

Congrats again Ben and Ashley!

Other Ben & Ashley Wedding Posts:

1 Chelsea February 23, 2012 at 1:56 pm

I’d love to know what Etsy seller she got her address book/guest book from. That sounds like a cute idea!

2 Jess February 23, 2012 at 2:00 pm

First of all, everything looks so nice and came together really well! Second, I had the same problem at my wedding last fall with the cupcakes – which I really don’t understand. Wedding cake is wedding cake, regardless of it’s form, wait until it’s been cut!
Jess recently posted..Beer Bread

3 Hillary February 23, 2012 at 2:05 pm

I love the peacock theme—so bright and beautiful!
Hillary recently posted..Trade Off

4 Anne @strawberryjampackedlife February 23, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Sigh, I love weddings and the details! Thank you so much for sharing!

My friend was married at the beginning of January and used snowflakes for her wedding. There’s a picture of her cake and centerpieces here:

She also wore a snowflake necklace that was really pretty. And snowflakes on the invitations. I should find a picture for you, should you desire blue snowflake inspiration.
Anne @strawberryjampackedlife recently posted..Wedding Recap: Down the Aisle

5 Meghann February 23, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Thank you for sharing! I love snowflake inspiration! πŸ™‚

6 Cait's Plate February 23, 2012 at 2:08 pm

I have yet to try eggs in a basket. I gotta do that soon.

And I really love the blue accent in the wedding (especially her shoes!). Looks like such a lovely wedding!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Chocolate Ice Cubes

7 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life February 23, 2012 at 2:11 pm

I love her shoes! Mine were dyed eggplant to match my bridesmaids dresses and I lived how they turned out! It is true though that you really don’t notice any missing pieces or hiccups on your wedding day! I actually forgot to put my jewelry on and I walked down the aisle without a single piece on and didn’t realize until I got to the hotel that night πŸ™‚
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Quinoa Granola Bars

8 Poptartyogini February 23, 2012 at 2:21 pm

What a beautiful job. You can tell by the love they put into their wedding the love they have for each other. Those two are headed for success!
Poptartyogini recently posted..crush: marcus sakey

9 Sabrina February 23, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Swarovski sells a really pretty snowflake pendant/pin that you could use as an accent piece for your dress or hair or jewelry.

Also, I am sure you know they make a yearly snowflake ornament. You will HAVE to get one for the year of your wedding.
Sabrina recently posted..Raffi 4 month update

10 Sabrina February 23, 2012 at 2:25 pm
11 laura February 23, 2012 at 2:26 pm

LOVE the artificial flowers!! This is such a great way to save money, allergies or no. At my wedding we had a mix of artificial and fresh flowers/greenery. With the right flowers and greenery you really can’t tell that they aren’t real, and mixing them can be a great way to save money while still using fresh flowers. Another fun aspect of that is that you can actually keep arrangements from your wedding if you’d like! I dismantled mine but I have a spring wreath that I made with a lot of the leftover artificial greenery, as well as some artificial hydrangeas in a vase on my mantel. It’s fun to look at them on a daily basis and be reminded of my wedding!
laura recently posted..gluten-free peanut butter s’mores bars

12 this fit chick February 23, 2012 at 2:26 pm

SO beautiful! I LOVE the bride’s dress!
this fit chick recently posted..Heavy Leg Workout

13 Jillann February 23, 2012 at 3:12 pm

I had the same problem with cupcakes at my wedding! My husband and I only got one because my mom hid it for us!
Jillann recently posted..CycleFit

14 corey @ learning patience February 23, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Beautiful dress….love weddings!

xoxo from Trinidad
corey @ learning patience recently posted..Cheesy Mushroom and Leek Quiche Cups

15 Sneakers2sandals February 23, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Wow! There sure were lots of wedding posts for that wedding! I’ve loved each and every one πŸ™‚ I wonder how many wedding posts I’ll get the pleasure of reading for yours?!
Sneakers2sandals recently posted..Walkin’ on Broken Glass…

16 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife February 23, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Love the details! Such a great idea for her theme. I too loved planning all the details….and BOY are there alot! hah. But I loved it. And YES, the love and marriage are MOST important. Most.

17 Catalina @ Cake with Love February 23, 2012 at 4:13 pm

I love that her shoes match the bridesmaid dresses, also the cake with the cupcake stand are very nice! Wish them the best!
Catalina @ Cake with Love recently posted..Sour Cherries Crepes Cake

18 joie February 23, 2012 at 4:26 pm

The picture of the bridesmaids look really strange? Was it photo shopped or blurry? I loved all the dresses at Alfred Angelo when I tried dresses on there! Such good quality and colors.

19 Christine February 23, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Yeah that picture is REALLY strange around the ankles

20 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups February 23, 2012 at 4:44 pm

I love all of Ashley’s personal touches that made their wedding unique. Everything turned out beautifully! Etsy (and Pinterest) have become my best friends since I got engaged!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Signs of life and love

21 Stephanie Ratty February 23, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Do you by chance have the link for those amazing wine glasses Ashley gave you?

22 Rhyann February 23, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Never heard of anyone using discounted Valentine’s candy as a favor before. I am surprised she was able to return it.

23 Sarah February 23, 2012 at 5:01 pm

The address card / guest book thing is a great idea! I know guests are so reluctant to publicly sign their well-wishes (ahem… and publicly misspell, yes that was me thanyouverymuch) but an address card is easy! And I know how to spell the street I live on! Bonus points πŸ™‚

24 Tracy February 23, 2012 at 5:31 pm

It makes me extremely uncomfortable that you have posted all the details of your brother and sister-in-law’s wedding on your blog. While you may have received permission to do so, I feel that it is in extremely poor taste. Their wedding (not yours) is now open to the critique/criticism of the entire world.

I don’t mean to be harsh, but after holding my tongue on so many of the other posts, I felt I had to say something.

25 Val February 24, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Somebody has a stick up their you-know-what!

26 Elisabeth February 23, 2012 at 5:57 pm

It was obviously a beautiful wedding and reception, and looks like everything turned out just how the couple planned it πŸ™‚ I especially lov her dress (bodice is gorgeous!) and the photo display.

27 Margaret February 23, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Sounds like a beautiful wedding. I’m sure you get even more excited to go to weddings now that you’re planning your own!
Margaret recently posted..New Take on Bananas

28 Joss February 23, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Beautiful! It looks like she really thought about all of the little details and it came together beautifully πŸ™‚ I really love the color of the bridesmaid dresses…as well as the cupcake stand and the little feather details throughout!

the candy buffet has to be my favorite though πŸ˜€
Joss recently posted..Weigh in on Anti-Obesity Adds

29 Brianne Chase February 23, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Hi Meghann!

It’s Brianne (who ran in to you in Animal Kingdom today). I just wanted to say hi and thanks for stopping to chat! You are so sweet! My fiancΓ© (I can’t believe I can call him that now!) thinks running in to bloggers in real life is so strange (we met Jenna Weber a few times when we lived in Northern California) but all the women in the blog community are so down to earth and kind. Have fun on Sunday and thanks for the tips!!!! πŸ™‚

– Brianne

30 Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon February 23, 2012 at 8:29 pm

I love those something out of nothing sort of lunches! My mom always compliments my supposed knack for making them!
Jamie @ Don’t Forget the Cinnamon recently posted..Why YOU should host an earth dinner!

31 MrsSwan February 23, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Thank you for the detailed post! I loved it all!!! It takes me back to planning my own wedding. The Valentine’s candy bar was a FANTASTIC idea!!!! My sister is doing light (sky) blue and snowflakes. I doubt you would need duct tape but I found a roll at Walmart that is light blue with snowflakes. It seems it is from Christmas and was the last roll in the store. I have a picture if it is something you can incorporate in any way. So you can keep your eyes out for it at Walmart next year- or they have a web site.
MrsSwan recently posted..It only took 3.5 hours…

32 Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt February 23, 2012 at 9:22 pm

what a beautiful wedding!
Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt recently posted..Let’s Take A Dip

33 BroccoliHut February 23, 2012 at 9:30 pm

The candy buffet is such a cute idea!!
BroccoliHut recently posted..A Lot of Chatter about Chipotle

34 Laura February 23, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Where is the honeymoon?! And I’m curious about the dinner option-you said they selected a chicken dish. Was that for everyone there or did you have an option of choosing a chicken, beef or vegetarian dish?

35 Laura February 24, 2012 at 2:19 am

I love Ashley’s blue shoes; that’s such a cute way of incorporating the “something blue”. And silk flowers actually isn’t a bad idea even if you don’t have allergy issues. (And, um, assuming you meant EpiPen. :)) If she’s that allergic to flowers, does she not have a huge issue pretty much everywhere she goes in spring/summer, though?

36 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy February 24, 2012 at 7:12 am

I think I’ve asked you this before, but I really want to know which Etsy shop she got your wine glasses from- they’re so cute, I’d love to do that for my bridesmaids!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Listening to My Body

37 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope February 24, 2012 at 8:04 am

What a beautiful wedding! I love all of the little details and personal touches she did. Her shoes are gorgeous! πŸ™‚
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Under The Sea!…

38 Emily February 24, 2012 at 8:19 am

I had friends that did a photo book of their engagement shots with the same company that you order your racing books from… just something to keep in mind… πŸ™‚

39 Emily February 24, 2012 at 8:20 am

Oh, forgot this important part… it was their guestbook. πŸ™‚

40 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More February 24, 2012 at 11:47 pm

Love it. Such a beautiful wedding. πŸ™‚
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Fitness Friday // Live Fit Week 6