more ยป" />

Apple Nachos

by Meghann on February 23, 2012

Good Morning!

I was at the gym early this morning for the second workout of New Rules of Lifting for Women Stage 7.

Stage 7 is tough. My legs were still a little sore from workout 1 of Stage 7 on Tuesday and I know I’m going to be feeling today’s workout in the morning. Luckily workout 1 was leg heavy, while workout 2 was heavier on the arms- so it will be a nice even spread of soreness in the morning.

Stage 7 is also pretty long. The 4 set of 15-20 reps were a bit time consuming. I was at the gym for well over an hour, trying to fit everything in.

For breakfast I took another stab at Apple Nachos.

These are so fun to make and eat. The ‘nachos’ are just thinly sliced apple segments topped with a thinner mix of PB2 and milk, raisins, and a handful of Quaker Oatmeal Squares. They were enjoyed with my hands, on the couch, in front of the tv – just how nachos should be. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Maybe next time I’ll add a nice dollop of plain yogurt for ‘sour cream.’ ๐Ÿ˜‰

Around the Web

Exciting news! On Monday, February 27 at 6 pm CST Whole Foods will host their first-ever national live streaming Parmigiano Reggiano Celebration. During the event, Chef Derek Sano will demonstrate and discuss four parmigiano reggiano themed recipes created by bloggers. I’m excited to announce that I’ve teamed up with Whole Foods and created a Parmigiano Reggiano Dressing that will be featured at the event!

My Parmigiano Reggiano Dressing recipe is now live on WholeFoods.com or you could tune in and follow along here: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/whole-foods-market on February 27th to see the recipe take shape live. ๐Ÿ™‚

Screen shot 2012-02-23 at 9.22.37 AM.png

Amy Sherman of Cooking with Amy, Sara Wells of Our Best Bites, and Tina Haupert of Carrots n Cake have also all created some pretty amazing recipes for the event. I’m particularly interested in Tina’s Brussels Sprout Pizza. Yum. ๐Ÿ™‚

Have you ever suffered from race burnout? That ‘ burnt-out’ feeling is something every runner faces at least once in their running career, but I’m happy to report that a little break and a re-examination of what works best for you is the ultimate cure. Check out my guest post at Healthy, Happier, Bear today where I discuss how I recovered from my own burnout in 2011.

Do you have a fun post to share today? Well, let’s hear it! Leave a link in the comments section!

1 Sneakers2Sandals February 23, 2012 at 10:29 am

The recipe looks awesome! I”m so happy for you. Whole Food is a wonderful company to be partnered up with. They stand for so many of the things we bloggers believe in ๐Ÿ™‚

2 Cait's Plate February 23, 2012 at 10:31 am

I love the apple nachos idea!

And so exciting about the Whole Foods feature!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Chocolate Peanut Butter Craisin Granola Bars

3 Hillary February 23, 2012 at 10:37 am

I’m feeling pretty burned out right now, actually. My half marathon is in three weeks, and I am definitely in the thick of it—running overload, and blisters that hurt like hell!

And I think my last post was fun and cute: my boyfriend bought me flowers on a whim, so I made him cinnamon buns. The ultimate win-win trade off! ; )
Hillary recently posted..Trade Off

4 Sara February 23, 2012 at 10:38 am

So cool! Fun post – I created my favorite (so far) cupcake creation this past weekend, Monster Cookie Cupcakes… check it out!http://lifeinbeantownusa.blogspot.com/2012/02/monster-cookie-cupcakes.html

5 Amelia February 23, 2012 at 10:38 am

Cool breakfast idea. I would probably opt for a granola rather than cereal and throw on some chia seeds and jam. Yogurt would be yum too!

Congrats on being featured on WF parm event!
Amelia recently posted..Spelt Flax Pizza Crust

6 Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 23, 2012 at 10:46 am

I love the idea of apple nachos! I may try that soon! And I have a fun recipe for oatmeal banana bars on my site with a healthy side of my rambling: http://tiptopshape2.blogspot.com/2012/02/healthy-banana-oatmeal-bars.html
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Healthy Banana Oatmeal Bars

7 Jordan@almondjay February 23, 2012 at 11:13 am

I cannot find PB2 anywhere – I guess I will have to order it online?
My fun post actually involves another dinner experiment – Pumpkin Butter Chicken (it involves peanut butter) ๐Ÿ™‚
Jordan@almondjay recently posted..My glute got me

8 Jamie February 23, 2012 at 11:17 am

I think your costume is great! I wrote a blog post yesterday about dealing with the comparison trap while working out. It’s something I continue to work on a daily basis. As a therapist and a health coach you would think I wouldn’t have any of these issues, considering I help people with them on a daily basis, but sometimes its hard to take your own advice!

9 Jamie February 23, 2012 at 11:59 am

forgot to link to the post…

herschholistichealth.tumblr.com
Jamie recently posted..Working out and the Comparison Trap

10 Meghan February 23, 2012 at 11:41 am

From someone who’s pretty well-versed in this stuff, it would really help you see the results of your weight lifting if you ate some protein within 45 minutes or so of your workout. Wouldn’t want all that work to go to waste!

11 Angie February 23, 2012 at 11:52 am

Those apple nachos look SO good! Anything with peanut butter and I’m sold. I recently posted a fun recipe to eat with your hands as well – Finger Salad!

12 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 23, 2012 at 12:01 pm

I’m starting to feel some training burnout. I’ve been increasing my weekly mileage by 10% every week and running 5 days a week (along with strength training). I’m really starting to feel it. I think running 4 days a week might be better for me.
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Little Bee and Hot Topic

13 MrsSwan February 23, 2012 at 12:10 pm

My hubby is currently going through race burn out so I will be hitting your post for him. While they look good I just don’t think I could get into apple nachos. LOL
MrsSwan recently posted..It only took 3.5 hours…

14 Kelsey February 23, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I thought you were required/supposed to post that you received monetary compensation for your recipe?

Thanks for the post on burnout!

15 Colleen @ seecmuse.blogspot.com February 23, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Hi!! I really, really liked your post on HHB this morning. Came at a good time, too! I’m prepping for my first marathon, and am starting to struggle a bit with motivation..delayed gratification doesn’t always work for me ๐Ÿ™‚

I am wondering, though, why you’re using PB2 instead of *real* nut butters, though? I get if it’s something you just picked up to try, but I’m thinking that maybe something a bit less processed is a better fuel source? I’d love to hear your thoughts on this!
Colleen @ seecmuse.blogspot.com recently posted..Facebook "fraaandz"

16 Joss February 23, 2012 at 12:41 pm

mmmm your “nachos” look so tasty wasty ๐Ÿ˜€ I will for sure check out the recipes on whole foods website as well. Good luck on this next stage of the program as well!

This isn’t really a fun post I have for you but definitely something to check out… it’s about anti-obesity adds directed at children…I wouldn’t mind people weighing in with their thoughts ๐Ÿ™‚

But I guess..something fun…not my own blog post but someone elses…

This white hot cocoa recipe I found on *sprinkle bakes* is pretty much amazing…and looks so fun ๐Ÿ˜€
Joss recently posted..Weigh in on Anti-Obesity Adds

17 RunEatRepeat February 23, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Very cool about your WF recipe!!!
RunEatRepeat recently posted..Pile Oโ€™ Mail

18 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife February 23, 2012 at 12:59 pm

I want some apple nachos!!

And congrats on the recipe/team-up with WF. So very cool!!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Tuna Fish Salad

19 Caroline February 23, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Those nachos look fun! I just posted a tasty recipe for Seared Thai Beef and some information about the benefits of buying grass-fed beef http://afterdinnerdance.com/2012/02/23/seared-thai-beef/
Caroline recently posted..Seared Thai Beef โ€“ And Why Grass-Fed is Better

20 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama February 23, 2012 at 1:12 pm

I love Quaker squares! I like to let ’em sit in milk and get a little soggy. Mmmm!

I posted my run from this morning and a recipe for Crock Pot Taco Soup.
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..800s and a Crock Pot

21 April @ Marathons N Martinis February 23, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Loved your post on Ashley’s blog – I agree – it’s so important to let you mind and body have a break! Congrats on your work with Whole Foods – I love that company, as well as parm…great combo!
I just posted some fun facts and tidbits as part of a blogging meme. Totally fun and funny.
April @ Marathons N Martinis recently posted..11 Things

22 Kathy February 23, 2012 at 1:16 pm

I think you missed your calling in life.

You should be a health cook/nutritionist or a photo journalist for a healthy magazine. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Everything you eat looks so good!
Kathy recently posted..They say its all about perspective…..I now agree.

23 Tara February 23, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Aren’t you supposed to take a week long break between NROLFW stages? I’m almost done with stage 1 and looking forward to a week off, haha.

24 Meghann February 23, 2012 at 1:48 pm

You are! I finished Stage 6 last Monday and started stage 7 the following Tuesday – a full week of rest was enjoyed in between. ๐Ÿ™‚

25 Cinnamon @ eatpraytri February 23, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Apple nachos is such a great idea! That recipe sounds awesome!
I just got some new kicks!

26 Emily February 23, 2012 at 1:39 pm

the recipe looks yummy!

27 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City February 23, 2012 at 1:42 pm

I still have to try apple nachos!

I definitely had race burnout after the Chicago marathon last year. I had trained for two marathons back to back and my body (and mind) were exhausted. I forced myself to take a break from running and focused on cross-training for a month or so (while still running a bit). It worked and I’m happy to say I fell right back in love with running ๐Ÿ™‚
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..WIAW {02-22-2012}

28 Marina February 23, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I really think you’re eating to little with all the working out that you do.
yeah yeah, you don’t picture everything you eat and all that…
but that breakfast is more like a snack for a moderately active person, not a meal after a strength workout for a serious runner.
i don’t want to attack you, i’m just worried ๐Ÿ˜‰

29 Megan Jones April 3, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Apples and peanut butter is one of my favorite flavor combinations. Especially super tart granny smith apples with a little sweet and a little salty creamy peanut butter. A couple weeks ago my boyfriend’s friend made a beer cheese sauce to dip apples in. At first I thought it sounded gross, but I tried it and it was quite good. I know beer cheese sauce doesn’t sound too healthy but it was quite thin so really you just got a taste of it and a big chunk of apple.