more ยป" />

Pretty Shoes

by Meghann on February 22, 2012

Happy Wednesday!

I had 6 miles on my training plan this morning with 8-10 fartleks. However, as soon as I started running, I realized that wasn’t happening. My legs were feeling the sting from yesterday’s NROLFW workout and just running at an ‘easy pace’ was pushing it for them. Running on tired legs is great practice (because I promise your legs WILL be tired at mile 20 of marathon and not want to be pushed then either), so I’ll just vouch this as a ‘6 miles on tired legs’ training day.

After my run I had a little of this, and a little of that for breakfast.

One chocolate Oikos topped with fresh strawberries, dried fruit, and Kashi Go Lean Crisp

One Arnold’s Thin topped with honey peanut butter, raisins, and flax seed.

Mizuno’s Wave Rider 15 Review

A couple of months ago Mizuno sent me a pair of their new Waver Rider 15s to test out and review for the blog. I have to be honest and admit that it was the fun colors that really caught my attention with these. I know, I know – Rule #1 when buying a pair of running shoes is to never select a pair because they’re ‘pretty.’ Well, these were pretty and I was smitten.

It may have been the pretty colors that sold me initially on the shoes, but it was the great support the neutral base provided that kept me coming back to them. The shoes arrived a month before the St. Pete Rock ‘n’ Roll and my original plan was just to take them for a quick test run around the block. I wanted to continue training in my beloved Brooks until the race was over, then switch to the Mizuno’s on a more long term basis after that.

The first was run was ok in the MIzunos. They were stiff and in desperate need of being stretched out, but there was something about them that just felt right. I ran fast in them, faster than I was expecting in a new pair of shoes, especially ones I thought were too stiff.

I went back to my Brooks for the next run, but the Mizuno’s kept finding their way back on my feet for longer walks and pretty soon for shorter runs, then longer runs. It was a gradual transition to the Mizuno’s that kept both my legs and feet happy.

My Brooks never did find their way to St. Pete – it was the Mizunos that eventually proved themselves in training and carried me to my new PR.

IMG_7064.jpg

I hate to talk shoes because, honestly, I don’t know much about them. I’ve always found the brand and style of shoes that a runner chooses to wear is so personal and unique to each individual runner, that one runner’s favorite shoe may be another runner’s enemy. I could recommend my favorite running shoe to someone, but if I have wide feet, high arches, and need a neutral base – and you don’t – then my recommendation just became invalid.

What I can say is that the MIzuno Wave Rider 15s come in really fun colors. They’re stiff right out of the box and take a couple of runs to really break in – so don’t give up after the first run. For my wide, high-arched feet, they were a great fit and the extra cushioned supportiveness is always a great bonus in a running shoe. ๐Ÿ™‚

What do you look for in a new running shoe?

1 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 22, 2012 at 10:43 am

I am so lost with shoes too! I have had 4 different brands of shoes over the past 2 years and still don’t know what I like!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..What I Ate Tuesdayโ€“Errand Day!

2 Rachel C. February 22, 2012 at 11:00 am

I started running in Mizunos last year and I LOVE them

I overpronate so I have the Nirvana’s and recently started wearing the Inspire’s which are lighter and make me feel faster

I also got a pair of racing flats cheap that I can’t wait to try out in a few weeks at my first race of the season

3 christine @ BookishlyB February 22, 2012 at 11:05 am

I need lots of support- I have flat feet, overpronate and have an extra bone in one of my ankles that causes swelling after long runs. Yay for Asics Kayanos.

4 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City February 22, 2012 at 11:15 am

I always wear Brooks, whenever I’ve switched in the past I’ve had a bad experience (like losing a toenail). I do switch types within Brooks though, for awhile I was running in the adrenalines but have switched over to the ravennas.

I do love the colors of your mizunos though!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Hawks Game

5 cathy@1970kikiproject February 22, 2012 at 11:17 am

i loved reading this post! i work for a national chain of running stores in canada. right now, we are featuring the wave rider 15s in RED! so far i have resisted a purchase…but i sure am tempted (and not just by the great colour; mizuno does make a great shoe – just takes some getting used to the feel).
glad you had such success in st pete’s with these shoes!

6 Krissy @ Shiawase Life February 22, 2012 at 11:18 am

I am really interested in Mizunos lately. I have been running in Saucony Ride 3’s, but they were updated recently and I tried the 4’s and don’t love them!!! I am going to the running store tonight and will see about trying a pair of these (I am a neutral) as well as Brooks Glycerin and Ghost.
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..wordless wednesday.

7 Rachel February 22, 2012 at 11:21 am

I was one of many, many runners who was crushed to find that the Mizuno WR 14s and 15s were completely different than past models. A huge number of runners had to find different shoes when Mizuno put out the 14s and 15s, which is a big deal for folks who have been dedicated to a single shoe for years. I’m glad you like them; I just wish Mizuno had made smaller changes. I miss running Mizunos, but hate the new WRs.
Rachel recently posted..Over-Unders

8 Jamie in Arkansas February 22, 2012 at 11:22 am

That is one sugarful breakfast!

9 Lauren February 22, 2012 at 11:40 am

I think it’s the dried fruit and raisins that would push it over the edge for me. Fruit in yogurt is good. Peanut butter on toast is good. But then adding extra sweet dried fruit, I couldn’t do.
Lauren recently posted..An Update

10 Lauren February 22, 2012 at 11:27 am

I may actually have to check these out! I have wide feet and high arches too which can make it really difficult to find well-fitting shoes…if your feet are the same way and you liked these, it may be worth my looking into! I’ve been doing the Nike Dual Fusions lately but I’m not totally devoted yet haha

11 Meredith February 22, 2012 at 11:30 am

I realize that you admit that you really don’t know much about running shoes (and neither do I) but I do wish you had provided a bit more information. I’m sure I could look things up, but if you’re going to do a review of a product I’d expect some technical stats (toe box, heel drop, what kind of foot this is recommended for, what Mizuno says about these shoes, etc). Just telling us you like the color and that they must be good because you got PR in them seems like phoning it in. I do appreciate that you took an extended period of time running in them to formulate your thoughts, unlike some bloggers who review after 1 run, but I wish you had given a bit more information instead of a back story on how you thought they were a good color and found yourself wearing them more than you thought.
Meredith recently posted..livestrong half marathon recap

12 Cait's Plate February 22, 2012 at 11:33 am

I try really hard not to just get the ones that I think are the prettiest, but sometimes it’s REALLY hard to do that ๐Ÿ˜‰
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Chocolate Peanut Butter Craisin Granola Bars

13 Lauren February 22, 2012 at 11:36 am

I wish I kenw more about running shoes. I have been using Saucony Progrid Guide 3s for the last two years (through my second pair) and I need to replace them, but they’re all the way up to the Guide 5 models now, which supposedly have some significant changes. I wish they would just keep certain models as is for those who are enjoying them the way they are.

Maybe it’s time to try a few new shoes.
Lauren recently posted..An Update

14 Jordan@almondjay February 22, 2012 at 11:51 am

It’s so funny that you posted this because my post today is all about my journey of finding the perfect running shoes! I’ve been trying to find the right feel of shoe for my new style of running (mid foot strike) and yesterday I finally had success after 3-4 pairs of shoes.
Jordan@almondjay recently posted..The shoe saga

15 Amelia February 22, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Totally agree with your review of these Wave Riders! I’ve been wearing Mizunos for several years now and the 15s have taken the longest to break in of the pairs I’ve owned. At first I was worried they weren’t fitting right!
Amelia recently posted..Amelia: Run in the Streets

16 Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 22, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I know very little about running shoes–but those are cute!!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Pet Peeve Wednesday

17 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife February 22, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Great info. Thanks for that review–it IS helpful to us novice shoe-wearers. You’re right–I hate when people try to sell me on running shoes, we’re all DIFFERENT people! ๐Ÿ™‚
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Traditional HIIT Treadmill Run

18 Sneakers2Sandals February 22, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Love the point you make about individual preference for shoes ๐Ÿ™‚ I try to love Mizunos time and time again but I have a flat foot unlike your high arch and it always feels like a ball is underneath my foot when I wear them! Anyways, they do look awesome (and kinda go with your Meals and Miles color scheme) and I’m glad you like em!
Sneakers2Sandals recently posted..Healthy Stuff

19 Emily February 22, 2012 at 12:58 pm

I am really careful about shoes these days. After my fractured foot I have to be. Now, the fracture was not the shoe’s fault, but anything I can do to help it, I will!
Emily recently posted..Final night of pasta?

20 Leah February 22, 2012 at 2:00 pm

I recently just switched to the Mizuno WR 15s and I love them! Now that they are broken in, I don’t want to take them off. They are definitely for a neutral foot so, if you pronate or have any other issues, they may not work for you, but they are easily the lightest and most stable sneakers I’ve worn. Very stiff right out of the box, but don’t give up and they’ll form right to your foot!

21 Caroline February 22, 2012 at 2:18 pm

I just got new running shoes last weekend – Asic GT 2170s. I’m liking them so far. I’m hoping they will help with my shin splints! I tried on Mizunos and actually went into the store wanting to buy Mizunos, but I didn’t like the way they felt as much – I guess I like more cushioning.
Caroline recently posted..Asian Lettuce Wraps โ€“ So Simple, So Good!

22 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries February 22, 2012 at 2:30 pm

i have wide feet and high arches too. i’ve tried on both the mizuno wave riders and the brooks ghost’s, and the brooks won over for me. but like you said, a runner’s shoe choice is so unique to the person.
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW {What I Ate Wednesday} #22: Short & Simple

23 Melissa @TryingtoHeal February 22, 2012 at 6:32 pm

I’ve been wearing the wave riders since number 12 and love them! I can’t wait to get my hands on 15!
Melissa @TryingtoHeal recently posted..Comment on Lilikoi Chiffon Pie by Biz

24 Army Amy* February 22, 2012 at 7:07 pm

I’m a Mizuno fan, too! I’ve had issues with bruises on the top of my foot, but since relacing the shoes, I’m much happier.*
Army Amy* recently posted..Thou doth speaketh too soon

25 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama February 22, 2012 at 7:30 pm

I’ve been waiting for this post after St. Pete. I admit, the color attracted me. They are so pretty! Unfortunately, the pretty colors weren’t in my future when I went to the running store last week for new shoes. I need A LOT of support so the wave riders were out. I did get Mizunos for the first time after being a Brooks lover. I love ’em!
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Give Your Heart Some Love

26 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More February 22, 2012 at 9:33 pm

I LOVE Mizunos! When I first started running and got good shoes, I was fitted for Mizunos. When it was time to replace them, I went to a store that had just stopped carrying them ( ๐Ÿ™ ), so they fitted me for Asics. Those were returned a week later. Then they gave me Brooks. I wore them and used them but did NOT like them enough to make a switch. When they hit the end of their life, I found a new store that I knew carried Mizunos. I LOVE THEM! ๐Ÿ™‚
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Foodie for a Day

27 Sue Kauffman February 22, 2012 at 10:37 pm

I wear running shoes to work (I teach Phys. Ed.). Do you think these shoes would be comfy for every day, all day on a gym floor?
Sue Kauffman recently posted..Online Fitness Coaching: Getting Fit in Spite of Cancer

28 Meghann February 23, 2012 at 10:24 am

I think they would. I really love the extra cushion the shoe has.