Making Our Way Back Home

by Meghann on February 20, 2012

So… umm… funny story. πŸ˜‰

The majority of the bridal party and the bridal party’s family stayed at the hotel the night of the wedding. There was an ‘after party’ in the hotel’s pool, but I was sound asleep at 10:00pm (what? we started the party at 4!) and wide awake at 7:30am ready for breakfast. At first I called my parents to see what their plans were, then my little brother called and asked everyone to meet him and his new bride on the top floor before we all walked to iHop to eat. I was the first one ready (Derek and I shared a room with Kelly and Anthony) and told the group I would meet them upstairs.

I ended up running into my parents in the hallway and took the elevator with them upstairs. At least, that’s what we attempted to do. The elevator went to the sixth floor, paused for a minute, then made it’s way back to the second. It took a couple of more times of us going up and down before we realized the door wasn’t opening and we were stuck. Dang it.

I opened the call box and rang the front desk for help. We got a very static-y reply of what we think was someone telling us help was on their way. We waited about 5 minutes before we heard someone outside the elevator tells us they were going to get us out. Then we went up again.

I knocked on the door and heard a knock back before getting a very soft ‘Mom?’ in return. I guess my mom was able to get a text through to Ben and Ashley letting them know we were stuck. Ben had pressed the call button for the elevator seeing if he could get it to open. It didn’t, but luckily the maintenance workers were able to find us again on the sixth floor and force the door open. Fifteen minutes after stepping onto the elevator, we had finally made it to the sixth floor. πŸ™‚

That was my first time ever being stuck on an elevator and I have to say that I was not a fan, especially when my Dad started making some not-so-nice Tower of Terror references. Not cool. The good news is we were only stuck for 15 minutes and had a fun story to tell over breakfast. πŸ™‚

Have you ever been stuck in an elevator? How long did it take you to ride another one again?

After finally making our way upstairs, we had to make our way back downstairs to walk down the street to iHop. By this point, I was more than ready for food.

Check out the newlyweds sporting their new bling. πŸ™‚ It’s still weird to see a ring on my brother’s finger. I knew he was getting married for over a year, but it wasn’t until I saw him with a ring on his ring finger after the ceremony that it finally became real.

For breakfast, I ordered the spinach, tomato, and mushroom omelet with swiss cheese, fruit, and rye toast.

The omelet was good, but I’m not a fan of iHop’s fruit. It’s as if they coat their fruit in an unnatural sugar syrup that is just blah. :/

We ate breakfast, then took our time packing up the room and heading back to Tampa. Along the way we had to drop the tuxes off and pick the dogs up. We also ended up with a stowaway.

Derek and I are watching Scooby while my parents are skiing in the mountains for the week. I know Maddie is happy to have the company. πŸ™‚

Subway…

IMG_7193.JPG IMG_7195.jpg

and a kidnapped cupcake made for delicious road food.

Despite a few detours, we made pretty good time getting to Tampa. For dinner, I made simple fajitas using pre-seasoned steak and veggies from Publix and paired them with a spinach salad and plantains.

Easy. πŸ™‚

This morning I ran 5 miles and had a big bowl of cereal for breakfast.

• Caramel Oikos
  • 1/2 cup Kashi Go Lean Crisp
  • 1/2 cup Quaker Oatmeal Squares
  • Strawberries
  • Chocolate Sommersaults
  • Walnuts

Pumpkin ravioli with fresh spinach, marinara, and parmesan cheese for lunch.

Apple slices and carrot sticks with honey peanut butter as mid-afternoon snack.

Dinner was a little more fun, thanks to the BOGO deal for pizza dough at Publix this week. I froze one and had the fun idea to turn the other into calzones for dinner tonight.

The fillers:

• apple slices
  • roasted acorn squash
  • thinly sliced red onion
  • almonds
  • mozzarella cheese

I divided the dough in half and created two calzones with a little bit of the fillers in each.

The calzones baked for 15 minutes at 425.

Derek walked in just as I was pulling them out the oven and said ‘Wow’ when he saw the finished product. Even I was impressed with this one. πŸ™‚

Check out that center. Yum.

The calzones were huge, so I ended up taking half for dinner and saving the rest for lunch tomorrow.

Served with marinara sauce for dipping.

I LOVED the calzones. The apples and acorn squash made them slightly sweet, but it wasn’t a terribly overpowering sweetness, especially when paired with the marinara sauce – it was just right. πŸ™‚

Our plates needed some green.

Tow pieces of Valentine’s candy for dessert.

Today was a major catch-up day, it’ll feel nice to return to normal tomorrow. You know – until our next adventure!

Good night!

1 Danielle February 20, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Oh my, I’ve never been stuck in an elevator before. Scary.

Although I hear road food cupcakes are the perfect antidote πŸ˜‰ Congrats again to Ben & Ashley!
Danielle recently posted..how to have a good morning

2 Jena February 20, 2012 at 10:05 pm

A few summers ago we stayed in this dumpy hotel on the beach down in Englewood. There were only 2 floors, but we had a TON of stuff and toting it up the stairs wasn’t happening. My friend & I got stuck on the elevator..on the first floor. The doors wouldn’t open, and we couldn’t go up. We had to call one of our husbands to have them press the button on the outside so we could get out.. I took the elevator as little as possible… I’m also scared of the elevator at my office. I swear it’s only a matter of time before I get stuck on that one. ugh.

I bought the BOGO pizza dough at publix today – Do you just stick it in the freezer in the plastic bag it came in?
Jena recently posted..a lot of things wrapped into one

3 Sana February 20, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Yeah, I would not want to get stuck with my parents. They would scare the crap out of me!
Sana recently posted..Sunday Bumday

4 Brittany February 20, 2012 at 10:29 pm

Sounds like you all had a great weekend celebrating your bro’s marriage, but oh my goodness… getting stuck in an elevator does not sound like very much fun. I’m glad you all weren’t in there for too long.
Brittany recently posted..Health Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)

5 Dori February 20, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Being stuck in an elevator is one of my biggest fears, and growing up I lived on the 6th floor of an apartment building. Any time I was alone, I took the stairs (I was less scared of the elevator when I wasn’t alone). I took a lot of stairs.

Also, IHOP but no pancakes??! Meghann!
Dori recently posted..Breaking Up with the Barre

6 CheezyK February 20, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Oh my goodness – I ride in an elevator at least 4 to 8 times a day and one of my biggest fears is getting stuck in it! Especially during the lunch and end of day rushes. As someone who suffers from claustrophobia and mild panic attacks I do not even want to imagine what that would be like!!
CheezyK recently posted..Travelday Teaser

7 Caroline February 20, 2012 at 11:01 pm

I always fear getting stuck in an elevator. EEK! I love when couples share breakfast with their close family and friends the morning after. Very fun:)
Caroline recently posted..How To Take An Ice Bath

8 Cheryl @ eatplayluvblog February 20, 2012 at 11:41 pm

That calzone looks absolutely absolutely delicious!…come to mention it, most of your food does.

I often wonder about fruit salad…why must they ruin something that’s already GOOD?!
Cheryl @ eatplayluvblog recently posted..Chilling in more ways than one

9 Allison February 20, 2012 at 11:46 pm

My then-boyfriend (now husband) got stuck in our dorm elevator senior year during winter finals week because SOMEONE thought it would be fun to jump while the elevator was between floors. We were stuck for at least a half hour. The fire department had to “rescue” us, as campus security was not equipped for such instances.

I freaked out for a good 3 hours and was pretty mad at said-jumper, but we get a good laugh out of it now!
Allison recently posted..Feel the Burn!

10 Christine @ BookishlyB February 21, 2012 at 12:51 am

Your brother looks like he could be one of my high school students πŸ™‚
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Top Ten Tuesday- Sentimental, Yet Practical

11 Joss February 21, 2012 at 7:00 am

Have fun with scooby this week πŸ˜€

12 Sara @my less serious life February 21, 2012 at 7:43 am

these calzones are a great idea for dinner!

13 Emily February 21, 2012 at 7:58 am

Just think… in less than a year, Derek too will be sporting a ring! πŸ™‚
Emily recently posted..Marathon Training: Week 7 in Review

14 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope February 21, 2012 at 8:02 am

Getting stuck in the elevator is horrible! I got stuck in the elevator at work for an hour once! It was beyond awful.
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Happy Fat Tuesday!!…

15 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama February 21, 2012 at 8:13 am

I just had a mini panic attack after reading about your elevator horror story. I’ve always had a fear of being stuck in an elevator. I will take the stairs any day!
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Yoga Makes Me Roar!

16 Sarah February 21, 2012 at 8:40 am

I love your calzone idea – squash and apple would be fantastic together! I need to get a george foreman grill they seem so useful!
Sarah recently posted..Almond Chicken

17 LKH February 21, 2012 at 8:42 am

Being stuck in elevators is so scary!! I took a trip to Spain & France in high school and the last day in Paris we were supposed to meet in the lobby to take the shuttle to the airport and the elevator dropped and got stuck between two floors! The worst part was none of the girls I was with spoke any French to be able to explain what happened over the emergency phone.

18 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City February 21, 2012 at 9:21 am

I’ve never been stuck in an elevator but I would most definitely freak out. I don’t like confined spaces!!

I’m planning on making calzones this week too. I’ve made homemade pizza but never tried calzones so I’m pretty excited about it πŸ™‚
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Baked Plum Cheesecake Oatmeal

19 Julie February 21, 2012 at 9:40 am

I work on the 52nd floor of an office building so I ride an elevator multiple times every day. I got stuck during the lunch rush (probably 6 people in the elevator, so not too bad). Luckily, we used the emergency call button and were out within 15 minutes. We actually got stuck right on the first floor so when they pulled the doors open, we had about 100 people (all trying to get back to their offices after lunch) watching us. Fun times. I had to get over any lingering elevator apprehensions quickly as walking up and down 52 flights is not really a reasonable option.

20 Ashley February 21, 2012 at 10:10 am

Yikes! I was stuck in an elevator once for about 20 minutes, BY MYSELF! The being alone was the worst part! I’ve never suffered from claustrophobia before, but I did have a mini panic-attack stuck in the elevator!

21 Cait's Plate February 21, 2012 at 10:19 am

Calzones are something I always ALWAYS want to make and never remember to when I have pizza dough. I need to change that like yesterday! Glad you made it home safe πŸ™‚
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Latest Obsession

22 Anne P February 21, 2012 at 10:39 am

Oh god, that’s terrifying! Horror movie central.

23 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning February 21, 2012 at 11:01 am

Glad you made it out of the elevator!!
I am impressed that you were able to find such a healthy looking meal at iHop. I haven’t been to one in at least 10 years- but I know that back then, I usually went after a night of drinking and got the greasiest thing on the menu.
The calzones look AWESOME!
Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning recently posted..[all aboard the] Tofu Xpress!

24 Marie February 21, 2012 at 11:04 am

Oh my gosh, not to be dramatic, but glad you guys got out of the elevator safely. I just recently read some gory news stories about some elevator-related deaths/accidents in New York.

Your calzones look awesome! I think you got your dad’s knack for making up recipes/dishes on the fly! πŸ˜‰

25 Whitney @ The Adventures of Now February 21, 2012 at 11:20 am

I usually have no problems with elevators and have been lucky so far but after a tragic event in our industry I became a little more jumpy. Especially since my work elevator is a little faulty at times – I was alone in it and it stopped mid way, opened slightly, closed, stopped, opened and than finally made it to the ground floor. All a 2 min thing but enough to channel some yoga breathing.

That calzone looks amazing!
Whitney @ The Adventures of Now recently posted..Losing Count: Why I stopped Food Journaling

26 Jessica February 21, 2012 at 6:28 pm

I got stuck in an elavator at work one day. It was a Friday and a hot summer day at 5PM and we were ready to go. The elevator was FULL and two people decided to jump on as it was closing and it got jammed. It was so full that no one could move and we were stuck for an hour. People were yelling and one girl wanted everyone to stand there in silence but we were way to stressed to not talk. Someone outside the elevator called the fire department and they were laughing when they finally got the door open and saw how many people were on the elevator. On Monday we didn’t want to talk to the two people who jumped on at the last minute.
Jessica recently posted..β€œI Love You Little Girl”

27 Marianne February 21, 2012 at 6:48 pm

I didn’t really get stuck per se but once I got into the elevator of my former apartment and as I started to go down, the fire alarm went off (!!!!) It stopped then started going up to the very top 33nd floor. I was the only one in it and was freaking out. Once it got to the top, it reversed and went back down again. I was so happy to get out of there! Luckily, it was a false alarm but at the time I didn’t know that!

Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend! It was a beautiful wedding!

28 Laura February 22, 2012 at 7:12 pm

I can’t believe you got stuck in an elevator! That’s crazy. I’ve never been stuck in an elevator (knock on wood) but think I’d freak out a little…those calzones, however, look amazing! Great idea!
Laura recently posted..Sometimes You Have to Step Back to Move Forward