Wedding Weekend

by Meghann on February 16, 2012

I can’t believe it’s almost here! After over a year of planning, my little brother and his fiance Ashley will be saying ‘I do’ THIS Saturday in front of their friends and family.

IMG_1429.jpg

Ahhh…. I’m so excited for them! 🙂

IMG_1513.jpg

A look back at some of their wedding-related journey this past year:

Derek and I are currently on our way to Titusville to partake in some of the pre-wedding festivities. Derek needs to pick up his tux (I’m not sure I’ve mentioned this on here, but my brother asked Derek to be a groomsman before he even asked Ashley to marry him ), I’m going to help the bride relax (hello spa day!), and we’re making ourselves available for any last minute DIY projects that need to be done. From here on out – it is officially wedding weekend.

We also have a few wedding appointments of our own to take care of this morning, which is why we’re on the road so early. Before we left, I set my alarm on the earlier side to get a 5 mile run in before we hit the road. The 5 miles felt great. My legs have officially recovered from Sunday and, thankfully, held on to some of the speed I built up in training. Now I just need to hold on to the speed and build up my mileage as I start training for Flying Pig next week. We’ll see. 🙂

Last night I prepped some overnight oats using the last of a container of plain Chobani as my base.

In the mix:

• Plain Chobani
  • Milk
  • Honey Peanut Butter
  • 1/2 c Hot Multigrain Cereal (dry)
  • Raisins
  • Cinnamon
  • Chis Seeds

On top:

• Apple
  • Walnuts
  • Cinnamon Kashi Go Lean Crisp

Instead of traditional rolled oats, I experimented with the hot multigrain cereal. The dry mix has a similar texture to instant oats and soaked up the moisture from the yogurt and milk in the same instant fashion. The final bowl ended up being a little grainier in texture and flavor than regular overnight oats. It was edible, but I’m not sure I would do it again – I think I prefer the thickness and chewiness of regular rolled oats instead.

Have you tried different grains with the overnight oats method? Any hits or misses? I’m curious to explore some more. 🙂

I’m going to try to get some internet-free work done.

See ya on the flip side!

1 Megan @ Life As Megan KNows It February 16, 2012 at 9:02 am

Hope you have so much fun at the wedding!
Megan @ Life As Megan KNows It recently posted..hello again

2 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope February 16, 2012 at 9:07 am

So exciting! I feel like you just posted about your brother getting engaged. I can’t believe his wedding is already here! Have a wonderful time! 🙂
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Trying To Decide…

3 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat February 16, 2012 at 9:14 am

What a cute couple! I hope you guys have a great time and enjoy your spa day! 🙂
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Reader’s Request: Why I’m finished with artificial sweeteners

4 Kristin @ FoodFash February 16, 2012 at 9:14 am

That’s so cute that Ben asked Derek to be a groomsman right away. I know that you and your super awesome family are going to have a fantastic weekend together!
Kristin @ FoodFash recently posted..Black Swan, In Pictures

5 Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon February 16, 2012 at 9:31 am

I’ve never tried other grains for overnight oats but now you’ve got me wanting to try!
Have a great time at the wedding!
Jamie @ Don’t Forget the Cinnamon recently posted..Bake sale granola

6 Hillary February 16, 2012 at 9:32 am

How exciting! My brother needs to engaged ASAP—I need a family wedding in my life. Have fun!

7 Heather February 16, 2012 at 9:38 am

aah so happy for them! I can’t believe three of you are all engaged at the same time, thats crazy, your poor parents lol!
Heather recently posted..Rouge Orleans Race Recap Part 1

8 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife February 16, 2012 at 9:46 am

YAH! SO exciting! I love, love weddings!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Body Types Talk

9 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life February 16, 2012 at 9:56 am

Ahh wedding weekend! So exciting and nervewracking at the same time.. 🙂 I love using Bob’s Red Mill Muesli in my overnight oats! It holds a little bit of crunch that the oats lose while soaking.
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Valentine’s Day for Many Days

10 Cait's Plate February 16, 2012 at 10:04 am

I had a similar breakfast only in a nutella jar. SO good. And I actually posted a similar “photo of me taking a photo in the side-view mirror” picture yesterday! Haha. I guess we share more than just a birthday 😉
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Breakfast in a Box

11 Poptartyogini February 16, 2012 at 10:10 am

Let the fun begin! I’m a sucker for weddings and can’t wait to read all the recaps. Have a wonderful time.
Poptartyogini recently posted..celebration: valentine’s day

12 Susie February 16, 2012 at 10:11 am

do NOT get quinoa flakes–they are perhaps the most disgusting (and $$) thing I have ever wasted money on. They are likely fine to bake, but not as oat replacements!!!

13 Lena @Fit on the Rocks February 16, 2012 at 10:20 am

What a fun weekend! I love weddings. Congrats to your bro and his soon-to-be wife 🙂
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Milestones and a Giveaway!

14 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake February 16, 2012 at 10:54 am

Wow, I can’t believe their wedding is already here; I remember reading about the engagement! So exciting! I hope everything goes perfectly.
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..At-Home Workouts

15 Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 16, 2012 at 11:17 am

Exciting!! Enjoy your wedding weekend!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Soba Noodles with Tofu and Kale

16 Jess@atasteofconfidence February 16, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Eee have a great weekend! my brother got married in August and it was a blast.
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..some of my favorites.

17 MrsSwan February 16, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Yeah!! I love weddings and cannot wait for the wedding recap! Enjoy! I am so jealous of the spa day!
MrsSwan recently posted..Achy hips?

18 Jen @ Whittle My Middle February 16, 2012 at 12:45 pm

ooo exciting! Weddings are so much fun especially when it’s family.

I’ve tried barley in overnight oats. It was ok. Needed a lot of liquid and a lot of fridge time, so really they were overnight+an evening “oats”
Jen @ Whittle My Middle recently posted..Half Marathon Training “Plan”

19 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama February 16, 2012 at 1:15 pm

I’ve used Bob’s Red Mill Museli and it’s been good. I still prefer rolled oats over anything for OIAJ.
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..The Return of 9.5 mph

20 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City February 16, 2012 at 1:20 pm

I’ve tried millet and rice. I liked the millet, it gave the overnight oats some chew, but the rice didn’t do the whole rice pudding thing I was going for, it was way too runny.
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..WIAW {02-15-2012}

21 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 16, 2012 at 1:41 pm

I haven’t ever thought to use a different grain for overnight oats. I’m a little more limited because of my gluten intolerance, but I still can’t really think of anything that would soak up milk or cereal well. Maybe some kinds of cereal would be good to try?
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Agar, WHAT??

22 Jaima February 16, 2012 at 2:11 pm

I’ve never even tried overnight oats yet so I’m a little behind the rest of the blog world. Have a great time this weekend!
Jaima recently posted..Roast Chicken

23 erica February 16, 2012 at 4:02 pm

SO EXCITING!
can’t wait to read all about it!
erica recently posted..surprise, surprise

24 Emily February 16, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Enjoy spa time, I am sure it willbe awesome!
Emily recently posted..J’s Toledo Birthday!

25 Lindsay @ Salt, Sun & Sanity February 16, 2012 at 5:26 pm

I use Trader Joe’s hot multigrain oats in my overnight oats- I love the slightly chunky texture 🙂 Have fun with all of your wedding festivities! Such a fun, special time.

26 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy February 16, 2012 at 10:22 pm

How exciting! Have a great time!!

27 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More February 17, 2012 at 12:47 am

An early congrats to them! Can’t wait to see pictures and hear about the beautiful event! 🙂
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..It’s Time to B.L.E.N.D.

28 Christina February 17, 2012 at 9:24 am

Hope yall have a great time together on your spa day! Hope the wedding and everything goes well!! Can’t wait to see pictures 🙂 I lovvvvved the proposal when I read about it <3