Family Time

by Meghann on February 16, 2012

Surprise! We booked a caterer!

To make a long story short, things book up fast around these parts. Ridiculously fast. So fast that the caterer we had our eyes on already had a wedding scheduled for our wedding date. Ugh.

Luckily she also has the resources to cater two events at once – but no more than two. If we wanted to work with her, then we had to book fast. Derek and I weren’t comfortable booking a caterer without trying the food first, so squeezing in a last minute tasting was a must. Hence our very early, yummy lunch this morning.

It was all good. So good that we handed over a deposit on the spot.

I think it was the petit fours that won us over.

I’ll go into the details of how we found our caterer, what we liked about her, and how we knew she was what we wanted on the Wedding Page next week. I have a lot to share about the whole process. πŸ˜‰

After our tasting, we hit the mall so the boys could pick up their tuxes for Saturday.

IMG_8055.JPG IMG_8039.jpg

IMG_8047.JPG IMG_8050.JPG

Hubba. Hubba.

IMG_8043.jpg

There were a few other errands thrown in the mix, that were all followed by a mini onion bagel with butter.

Scooby!!!!

My Dad was extra excited about dinner tonight. Not just because pizza dough was on sale at Publix this week (BOGO) or all his kids were home to help cook.

IMG_8123.JPG IMG_8125.JPG IMG_8126.JPG

He was excited to try out his new homemade pizza stone on the grill.

And by ‘pizza stone’ I mean a slab of granite that he found and had cut to fit his grill. Only my Dad would find a way to make his own makeshift pizza stone using granite.

Hey, it worked. Crispy granite-grilled pizza at your service.

I had a beer with two slices of pizza and a side of veggie with corn beef.

IMG_8145.jpg IMG_8157.JPG

It’s a tradition in my family that my mom makes us a cookie cake for each of our birthday.

We may be a week late, but Josh and I finally got out cookie cake.

Even better? We got to blow out the candles together.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

I made sure to grab a piece with extra icing. πŸ™‚

No more cookie cake for these two.

Clearly they’ve had enough.

(pssttt…. that was just a joke. I promise the dogs didn’t have any cookie cake. Only milkbones for these two. )

awww…. I missed Sadie and Oliver.

I missed Maddie too.

It feels good to be home. πŸ™‚

Good Night!

1 laura February 16, 2012 at 10:42 pm

That granite pizza stone is super clever! You can also cook pizza directly on the grill grates — that’s our favorite way of making it. We cook the dough first, add toppings, and then put it back on the grill just long enough to warm everything. Love that grilled flavor!
laura recently posted..{light} peach crumb coffee cake

2 SaraB February 16, 2012 at 10:49 pm

Not going to lie, I laughed out loud at Anthony on the banana-phone! haha. Going “home” is always a great feeling, have fun this weekend! Cant wait for the re-caps!

3 Bri February 17, 2012 at 8:00 am

HAHA, so did I! Came down to the comment section to write exactly the same thing about the banana phone.

4 emily February 16, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Happy belated celebration! That shot of the two of you blowing out the # candles is super cute. Y’all should frame it for your mom.
emily recently posted..By The Clock

5 MrsSwan February 16, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Awwwman he doesn’t get to see the dress so why do you get to see the tux? LOL Is it bad that when scrolling down all I noticed on the boys were their toe gaps? Yes, I am odd like that. πŸ˜› Congrats on picking the cater.
MrsSwan recently posted..And the winner of oddest lunch today is?

6 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City February 16, 2012 at 11:42 pm

I love pizza stones, they cook everything perfectly!

Congrats on the caterer!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Things I’m Lovin’ Thursday ~ 2-16-2012

7 Christine @ BookishlyB February 16, 2012 at 11:58 pm

It is so nice to see occasionally see your boyfriend or husband dressed up. Mine usually wears jeans and t-shirts/sweaters so I love opportunities that makes him bring out a tie! Tuxes are even better!
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Books on Your Back- Go to Hell

8 Reenie February 17, 2012 at 12:03 am

You’re still celebrating your birthday?…..I’m KIDDING….totally kidding y’all. But I just had to do it πŸ˜‰

Cute pics of everyone and the doggies too….but where’s Maddie?

9 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More February 17, 2012 at 12:07 am

That cookie looks delicious!!! Mmmm!!!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..It’s Time to B.L.E.N.D.

10 Khushboo Thadani February 17, 2012 at 1:11 am

That pic of Derek sorting our your bro’s tie is adorable! That cookie cake looks so delicious!

11 Joss (Jocelyneatsfresh) February 17, 2012 at 6:24 am

Your dad is so creative! That pizza looks amazing πŸ˜€ and congratz on booking that caterer!
Joss (Jocelyneatsfresh) recently posted..Gingerbread Spice Tea and Student Food

12 Carissa February 17, 2012 at 8:03 am

oH cookie cakes! How I have adored them since I was tiny. I can taste the sugar now!!! So good!

Yeah for the caterer!!! How exciting!
Carissa recently posted..Five Things Friday Workouts

13 Emily February 17, 2012 at 8:04 am

Yay for birthday celebrations!
Emily recently posted..J’s Toledo Birthday!

14 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups February 17, 2012 at 8:07 am

I could never get my dog to wear a birthday hat. Too cute! Congrats on nailing down the caterer–that’s one big check off the list! We have our tasting next weekend, and I’m so excited!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..PR’s Taco Palace

15 Cait's Plate February 17, 2012 at 8:23 am

Aw, looks like such a fun afternoon /evening! I love that photo of you in the mirror – AWESOME. and love your outfit too πŸ™‚

16 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 17, 2012 at 9:15 am

Looks like you’re in for a great weekend with your family!!! Ahhh it makes me miss my family!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..No Such Thing As Failure

17 Heather February 17, 2012 at 9:22 am

so fun! I love cookie cake. So great yall could all be together!
Heather recently posted..Princess Pampering

18 Kristin @ FoodFash February 17, 2012 at 9:45 am

How cool that your dad made a make-shift pizza stone! Grilled pizza sounds so yum, but I have yet to make one…
Kristin @ FoodFash recently posted..The Good Stuff

19 Anne @strawberryjampackedlife February 17, 2012 at 10:01 am

So you have a twin brother and you get cookie cake for your birthday. Are you sure you’re not my sister-in-law? (I’m married to her twin brother.)
Anne @strawberryjampackedlife recently posted..Crockpot Enchiladas!

20 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning February 17, 2012 at 11:08 am

One of the best parts of wedding planning is definitely the tasting! Congrats on booking your caterer! πŸ™‚
And happy belated- my bday was the 12th. It’s a good month to be born in. πŸ™‚
I LOVE grilled pizza- especially when it’s slightly charred on the bottom. Yum.
Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning recently posted..Puppy Love + Tempeh Tacos

21 Jenny February 17, 2012 at 11:17 am

So…are all of the kids in your family engaged right now?

22 MaryBe@Accidentally-Vegan February 17, 2012 at 11:32 am

It’s nice to see Josh’s girlfriend. He went to Ca and she went to Chicago I think? I can’t remember. But I was wondering what had happened to the two of them!

23 Samantha Kashka February 17, 2012 at 12:43 pm

We order those petit fours at my work for last minute events. I always sneak some out of the freezer as a nice treat on busy days πŸ™‚

24 Katie February 20, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Dang…cookie cakes and twins must be a thing! My husband is an identical twin, and they always got their own cookie cakes on their birthday! Funny. They even had them last year for their 30th birthday…yum…
Katie recently posted..Weekend Wrap-Up: Season’s 52 and the search for a couch