A couple of weeks ago Callie tagged me in her ’11 Random Things’ survey. I try not to get caught up in every tagged survey trend that pops up in the blog world (they can really start to add up and become overwhelming to keep up with), but this one looked like fun. I really enjoyed reading Callie’s random facts and thought it would be fun. 🙂
Here are the rules:
1. Post these rules (check!)
2. You must post 11 random things about yourself
3. Answer the questions set for you by the person who tagged you
4. Create 11 new questions for the people you tag to answer
Select 11 peeps and tag them on twitter, facebook, or on their blog. I’m switching this up. I’m tagging all of you. 🙂
Let’s start with the 11 random things about me.
1. I’m the shortest member of my family. I’m also the eldest child (by a minute!)
2. Growing up I was in the front row of every class photo.
Every year I would yearn to make it to the second row, but I wasn’t even close. I was anywhere from the shortest to the 4th shortest kid in the class.
3. I was voted the equivalent of Miss Congeniality at the Junior Miss scholarship competition I participated in my senior year of high school.
It was my one and only attempt at any sort of beauty pageant. My ‘talent’ was the dance my cheerleading squad learned at cheer camp that summer and my formalwear was my homecoming dress from the month before. There was a ‘fitness competition’ where we did a dance number that incorporated push-ups and sit-ups (while we looked and smiled at the audience) and a question and answer portion that I can’t remember the exacts of off the top of my head. It was a fun bonding experience with girls I had known since kindergarten.
4. By the time my parents were my age they had four kids, owned their own home, and had been married for over 8 years. To this day, I have no idea how they did it. When I grow up, I want to be just like them. 🙂
5. My first dog was named Rover. My Dad thought it was hilarious because – have you really ever met a dog named Rover?
He passed away from cancer when he was barely three years old. My brother and i were in the same classroom in high school when we found out and had to be sent home early because we were crying so much. It was the first pet we had ever really lost. RIP Rover.
6. Scooby was originally called PD (Puppy Dog) until our friend Adrian started calling him Scooby. The name stuck and he’s been Scooby ever since.
7. My nails grow at lightening speed. I get it from my Dad – he also has really strong nails that need to trimmed almost daily for work. I swear I’ll trim mine and the next day they’ll resemble talons again – it can get out of control.
8. My hair grows really fast too. I wish I had some secret to share on why it grows so fast. If I did, I would bottle it up and sell it on the black market for millions.
9. I would rather spend money on traveling than buy expensive things. I don’t own fancy heels, expensive clothes, or a bag that costs more than $20, but I have traveled to New York, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Chicago, and done some pretty amazing races in the last couple of years. We all ‘splurge’ in different ways – mine is traveling.
10. When I was 17, I crashed a snowmobile into a tree in Colorado.
I confused the break with the gas and slammed right into it at full speed.
I was thrown off it to the right and, thankfully, landed on a nice fluffy snowbank. I walked away with a big lip and covered in bruises, but had no broken bones or major injuries. I got lucky. Really lucky.
11. I had surgery on my eyes when I was 5. I was cross-eyed and they had to go in and tighten the muscles to stop my eyes from pulling in (at least that’s how the surgery was explained to me). I remember waking up, not being able to see, and requesting gatorade.
1. What is your favorite go-to dinner recipe?
Roasted vegetables with pasta sauce and cheese. It’s what I make when I come back from long trips because it’s so easy and tasty.
2. Where is the strangest place you’ve vacationed?
Amish country in Ohio. We were supposed to spend the week at Lake Lanier, but were rained out and decided to visit my uncle in Ohio instead. Not that Amish county is strange, just strange to be there on vacation when you were expecting to be on a boat in the middle of a lake the whole week.
3. Why do you blog?
To connect with like-minded individuals. I love the community that comes with a blog and everything that’s connected to it. My friends I’ve made while blogging have become like a second family to me. 🙂
4. What do you consider to be your greatest accomplishment in life?
Ah! I have absolutely no idea. I feel like I still have a lot of life left to live to answer that one.
5. How do you think people would describe you?
Out-going with a great personality. At least, that’s what I hope they say! I think I’m mostly described as ‘the blogger the runs a lot’ though.
6. What motivates you to work out?
Staying healthy. Goals that I set for myself are also great motivation.
7. Who is the most famous person you have ever met?
Anne Curry and Al Roker. I’m a Today Show fanatic.
8. What is the first blog you read every day?
I go through different stages with blogs. I used to read such-and-such blog first thing, but now i read another blog. I’m sure next week I’ll be going straight to another. Right now I’m all over bloggers who are expecting babies or just had babies. 🙂
9. In case of a fire, what is the one possession you would save?
My computer!!!! I’m sure the correct answer would be some treasured item that has been passed on between generations or that I’ve had since I was little, but the first thing that came to my mind was my computer. That or my external hard drive.
10. What is the ugliest piece of clothing you own that you can’t bear to get rid of? (Bonus points for a photo!)
My old jeans I’ve owned since sophomore year of college. Once upon a time, they to be cute, but the fit has turned funky and there are more rips than are appropriate. Still, they are so comfy that I refuse to give them up.
11. What is on the top of your bucket list?
Back pack around Europe. If I could go back in time, I would take a year off between school and getting my first real job and just back pack around Europe. My sister and my Dad did it one summer and it inspired me to add it to my own bucket list. One day, even it’s just for a couple of weeks, I want to experience what it’s truly like to live out of a back pack while hopping around Europe. One day…
My 11 Questions for all of YOU!
- If you could live anywhere in the world for just a year – where would you live?
- What were you like in high school?
- How old were you when you had your first kiss?
- What is your go-to coffee or tea order?
- How many states have you lived in?
- When was the last time you told someone you loved them?
- What is your favorite color?
- Favorite cartoon character?
- What were you doing a year ago today?
- What do you want to be when you grow up?
- Today is going to be a great day because…
If you don’t have a blog, feel free to share your 11 random facts and 11 answers in the comments below! 🙂