The Class of Shakes

by Meghann on February 15, 2012

Last month I took my first class at Barre Fitness Tampa and loved it. I loved it so much that I was somehow talked into one of the new student package deals. It sounded like a great deal at the time (3 classes for $30), but the location (a 20+ minute drive my house) mixed with the not-so-convenient class schedule (7:30pm classes are not my friend) wasn’t the best combination with getting me in the door.

Fast forward a month and a half later… I finally made it to my second class.

Barre Fitness Tampa offers a 6:00am class on Wednesdays that actually seemed doable when I reviewed their schedule online last week. The instructor had sent a sweet email the day before reminding me of my remaining classes and ‘hoped to see me soon’ which prompted the re-vamped interest in finding a class. Kudos to you, instructor, for getting my butt in the door. 😉

The early class was small compared to the previous one I took and only had 5 students. The smaller class was great because it meant there was a lot of one-on-one correcting and teaching, but that can also be an intimidating factor. Every time the instructor came to correct my form or offer a tip, I had to remind myself that she was correcting everyone in the class and she was doing it for a reason – so I wouldn’t get injured. It’s easy to feel singled out in classes like these, but the instructors aren’t there to judge – they’re there to help you get stronger and succeed.

At the end of the class I was a shaking, sore mess. It was fun to mix up my routine with something a little different, but I have to admit that I really do prefer my heavier weights with lower reps to the high-rep, low-weight method practiced here. I left with that exhausted feeling, but it was more of the I-just-held-my-arms-over-my-head-for-a-very-long-time feeling instead of the I-just-kicked-butt-at-lifting-heavy-weights feeling.

I came home and did a couple of walking loops around my neighborhood to get a little cardio in, then dove into breakfast.

• 1/2 c Cinnamon Life Cereal
  • 1/2 c Honey Almond Uncle Sam’s
  • Plain Chobani
  • Apple
  • Walnuts
  • Cinnamon

Morning meal deliciousness. 🙂

And on that note, it’s time to start the day.

Happy Hump Day!

1 Olivia February 15, 2012 at 10:12 am

I am currently super tempted by a $10 livingsocial deal for 5 hot yoga sessions at the gym I go to. But I am also broke so I might just not do it, since I don’t even like regular yoga!
Olivia recently posted..Ring Around The Bfast

2 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat February 15, 2012 at 10:13 am

Well done on the workout Meghann! I wish I could find a Barre class here in Ontario because I’d love to challenge my body in the “I-just-held-my-arms-over-my-head-for-a-very-long-time” way that you described! Isn’t it amazing how workouts that don’t seem as hardcore as what we usually do (eg heavy weights) can be so humbling? Have a great day!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Recap: Try Something New Tuesday 95

3 Allison February 15, 2012 at 10:18 am

I really want to check this out. I love feeling sore after a workout. It reminds me I did something!
Allison recently posted..Jailbait

4 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 15, 2012 at 10:20 am

this sounds like an interesting class, but definitely something I’d only try every once in a while, mostly because of the separate location and extra price! I try and utilize my gym membership as much as possible
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..WIAW–Long Run Day

5 Krissy @ Shiawase Life February 15, 2012 at 10:21 am

I’d like to try out a class like that to see how I like it! Thanks for the return report, Meghann!
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..wordless wednesday.

6 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life February 15, 2012 at 10:25 am

My best friend teaches pure barre and loves it! I haven’t gone to a class yet, but I am really looking forward. She swears it totally transformed her body into being long and lean. Plus she was a dancer so it brings back all of those Swan Lake memories lol
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..My First WIAW

7 Anon February 17, 2012 at 10:41 pm

I’ve recently gotten obsessed with Pure Barre!! I went from doing heavy weights to this and I’m *thinking* about upping from 3 lbs hand weights to 4 lb tomorrow.. maybe. Definitely humbling.

8 Kathy February 15, 2012 at 10:28 am

You always eat so good ~ healthy ~ and it always looks so yummy…….oh, how I wish the computer could send me some of your powerful, positive , will power !!! I love me my sweets….and more sweets..etc…OR maybe I just don’t have the drive to be super fit yet???? Hmmmm….

Maybe it really is in my head….

Maybe I am holding myself back…..

Gosh, such the lightbulb moment…duh!? 😉
Kathy recently posted..Weekend Recap…

9 Dana @ the Big Fat Skinny February 15, 2012 at 10:44 am

I’m dying to try a Barre class! I haven’t found any that can work into my schedule, or that are afforadable enough to add to my already lofty gym payment each month.
Dana @ the Big Fat Skinny recently posted..An Open Valentine, to My Dad

10 Cat @Breakfast to Bed February 15, 2012 at 10:47 am

i’ve done that with workouts. at gyms all llll llll the way in uptown. I live in Brooklyn.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Punching Kathie Lee in the Boob.

11 Poptartyogini February 15, 2012 at 11:04 am

I’m glad to know I’m not the only one who feels anxious about new classes. I’m going to a new yoga studio tomorrow and am fearing the unknown. I guess even if I’m out of my league I can take pride in knowing I tried.
Poptartyogini recently posted..love story: red roses

12 Jordan@almondjay February 15, 2012 at 11:25 am

I love life cereal! You have just inspired me to go buy some later today 🙂
Jordan@almondjay recently posted..Valentine’s

13 Sneakers2sandals February 15, 2012 at 11:32 am

I feel the same way about barre. I like to feel like I just dominated something after a workout. Barre just doesnt do that for me.

14 Cait's Plate February 15, 2012 at 11:48 am

I’ve never tried Barre before but I’ve always been curious about it. Given your description though I might feel the same way as you.

Breakfast looks AWESOME!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Another Day in Paradise

15 Sheri February 15, 2012 at 12:31 pm

I go to the Bar Method in Chicago- it’s really hard! But I like it, it’s something different than just being on a treadmill for 30 minutes. I do notice that every single girl who has been taking the class for a while has an incredible body! Toned and lean, just amazing. That’s what helps me stick with it. They recommend going 4 times a week for the best results- I’ve been going 3 times so far, and trying to get to a fourth. You really get great results from it.
Sheri recently posted..Deer Path Inn

16 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife February 15, 2012 at 12:40 pm

I try not to get sucked into deals like that….just because I don’t think through all the logistics. That’s why I married my husband–he thinks EVERYthing through. It’s amazing! haha

LOVE some heavy lifting!! <3
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Quick Breakfasts

17 Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 15, 2012 at 12:46 pm

I’ve never done a barre class, but I did do the one in Health magazine a few months back. I really liked it! I definitely felt the burn!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Dark Chocolate Truffles

18 Laura February 15, 2012 at 1:19 pm

I actually get really frustrated when I don’t get corrected. I know that I’m not doing everything correctly. At least come and make a comment otherwise I’m not getting my money’s worth.
Laura recently posted..I Like The Way You Move

19 Emily February 15, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Nice job getting your butt back there for another class!
Emily recently posted..Marathon Training: Week 6 in Review

20 Lisa (bakebikeblog) February 15, 2012 at 4:01 pm

this sounds like a great class!!!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..Warm mushroom and spinach salad

21 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama February 15, 2012 at 7:44 pm

I tried my first Barre class month, too. I signed up for a 10 visit punch card. I’ve used it for other classes but not Barre. Thanks for the reminder that I need to go back! The class times aren’t the most convenient for me but I really did enjoy it.
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Quick Upper Body Workout for Runners

22 Christina February 16, 2012 at 9:37 am

I’m so glad you brought out the point about feeling singled out and the positive part of that its to help. It’s something I’m always nervous about.. that is why I prefer to work out at home.
Christina recently posted..Day Date 2-11-13