Parsnip & Carrot Burgers

by Meghann on February 14, 2012

Looking for a tasty way to sneak some veggies into your basic bean burger? I think I may have what your looking for. Tonight I had a little fun experimenting with the last two parsnips and carrots I had in the fridge.

I wanted to find a way to create a burger with them that didn’t require a lot of filling to hold the veggies together. After experimenting with larger grated carrots in the past, I knew smaller pieces would be the key. I started by grating the parsnips and carrots on the fine side- as opposed to the larger side – of the grater and, after getting my arm worked for a few minutes with little progress, I moved to the food processor. Much better.

The crumbly, finer pieces held together beautifully with the beans and egg with minimal flour – exactly what I was going for. Burger perfection. πŸ™‚

Parsnip & Carrot Burgers

• 2 parsnips
  • 2 carrots
  • 1 can of black beans
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 c whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 c blue cheese
  • chili powder
  • onion powder
  • garlic salt
  • salt & pepper

Preheat the oven to 400.

Start by placing the parsnips and carrots in the food processor on ‘chop’ until you get a fine texture. If you don’t have a food processor, you can also grate the carrots and parsnips using the fine side of the grater.

Wash and drain the can of black beans and place them in a separate bowl. Using your hands, lightly squish the beans together.

Once the beans are squished, add the carrots/parsnips, egg, flour, blue cheese, and seasonings to the beans. Work the mix with your hands and form 4 patties.

Bake the patties for 15 minutes, flip, and bake for 15 more minutes.

Serve smothered with bbq sauce. πŸ™‚

And a side of brussels sprouts.

The patties were great. They didn’t fall apart and were full of flavor. I would call this one a win. πŸ™‚

For dessert I had two pieces of Godiva chocolate

Earlier I had an apple with peanut butter as a snack

Now I’m off to cuddle with my Valentine.

Good Night!

1 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) February 14, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Ah, parsnips are one of my favorite veggies! I will have to try these.
Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) recently posted..Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Spice Cookies

2 kaylie February 14, 2012 at 9:47 pm

This looks SO delicious, I just may have to try it! I love veggie patties, especially with soy/ tofu or muchroom. But I never have found a yummy bean patty recipe. Thanks! Btw- is it just me or does bean patty sound a little strange to say out loud? πŸ˜‰
kaylie recently posted..Baseball, The Voice & Friendly Competition

3 Olivia February 14, 2012 at 9:49 pm

This reminds me to eat carrots and parsnips together more often. After being vegetarian for a long time I actually can’t do ground veggie burgers though – but I’ll have to roast some or something!
Olivia recently posted..Steak Love On V-Day

4 Christina February 14, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Hey, Meghann! I had a question for you on your Box of Chocolate post that I was hoping you would answer. Thanks!
Christina recently posted..Weekly Update

5 Jon@elements2lead February 14, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Yum! These sound really good. I have been experimenting with all kinds of veggie burger recipes so will have to try this one. Hope you are well!

6 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama February 15, 2012 at 6:03 am

I’m always looking for a good bean burger. This looks great! I love when I can sneak extra veggies in so my kids and husband don’t even know it. πŸ™‚
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Love and Chocolate Larabars

7 Joss February 15, 2012 at 7:16 am

chocolate and cuddles = good way to end the day hehe
Joss recently posted..Happy Valentines Day – Part Two

8 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope February 15, 2012 at 7:49 am

What an interesting burger! I think this looks great. Definitely want to try it πŸ™‚
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Wedding Talk Wednesday: Badgley Mischka!…

9 Emily February 15, 2012 at 7:59 am

Hope valentine cuddle time was great!
Emily recently posted..Marathon Training: Week 6 in Review

10 Meghan February 15, 2012 at 8:16 am

Yum I wouldn’t have thought to bake the burgers, but we love adding extra veggies to our black bean burgers.
Meghan recently posted..Our Love Story….

11 Cait's Plate February 15, 2012 at 9:58 am

That looks like an absolutely perfect meal to me!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Another Day in Paradise

12 Dana @ the Big Fat Skinny February 15, 2012 at 10:49 am

I wonder if I can sub cauliflower florets for the parsnips? I have a TON of carrots and cauliflower in my fridge that need to get get eaten and I’m kind of tired of the same old. I’ll be trying the burgers w/cauliflower tonight!
Dana @ the Big Fat Skinny recently posted..An Open Valentine, to My Dad