more ยป" />

My Silly Valentine

by Meghann on February 14, 2012

Happy Valentine’s Day!

someecards.com - Thinking of Facebook-stalking you this Valentine's Day

And happy three year anniversary to the love of my life. ๐Ÿ™‚

It was three years ago yesterday that I met Derek in Tampa for a random weekend out. I owed him a visit since he had visited me in Orlando the month before and it just so happened that the weekend I was free, was also Valentine’s Day weekend. I told him (totally joking) that since I was coming over for Valentine’s Day that he owed me flowers and chocolates.

The next morning – he delivered. There was a beautiful bouquet of flowers and a big box of Godiva chocolates waiting for me after my run. It had been a while since anyone had given me flowers or chocolates – talk about finding a way into a girl’s heart.

However, at that point I was still playing the ‘cautious friend’ role since we had history and I wasn’t sure if either of us wanted to go down that road again. It wasn’t until after we spent the remainder of the weekend with his parents at his grandfather’s beach house that it started to click that he did want something more. On the way home he gave a sweet speech confessing his true feelings and we’ve been together ever since.

CIMG5303.JPG

Because of that, Valentine’s Day will always hold a special place in each of our hearts. We’re not the mushy-gushy-go-all-out type of Valentines, but more of the sentimental sit-back-and-reflect-on-the-last-three-years Valentines. ๐Ÿ™‚

(we have a lot to reflect on this year ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

There is one tradition that Derek has held onto each of our Valentine’s together.

Each year he has a box of Godiva Chocolates waiting for when I wake up.

Honestly, I almost thought he forgot about it this year (particularly because I had forgotten about it since we agreed not to do gifts because of our recent ski trip), but he didn’t. Yesterday morning he ‘had to go into work early’ for a ‘big project’ – when really he had to get to the mall for chocolates. Sneaky, sneaky.

Umm.. yeah. I may have ate my favorite hazelnut choolate as soon as he handed it over. What? That’s what Valentine’s chocolates are for – breakfast!

The chocolates were great (more for the deeper meaning behind them than anything else – these are more than just chocolates in my eyes ๐Ÿ™‚ ), but the BEST Valentine’s Day gift was spending the morning making breakfast together.

We made whole wheat pancakes (based off of this recipe) with walnuts and mini chocolate chips.

We have a routine – I make the batter and he works the griddle. We each have our own pancake making strengths and when we combine them it equals pancake gold.

I had two with fresh strawberries, walnuts, and syrup.

Yum ๐Ÿ™‚

The other week I ‘borrowed’ my parents’ milk frother (sorry Dad, pretty sure you’re never getting this back ;)) and I wanted to test it out this morning.

I heated some milk for 30 or so seconds in the microwave before placing the frother tip in the milk and giving it a whirl. It was crazy how fast the milk frothed up. I poured the frothed milk over a cup of coffee and enjoyed the best cup of homemade coffee I’ve ever had.

Hello, homemade misto!! I think I have a new favorite kitchen gadget. ๐Ÿ™‚

Before the pancakes I went out on a 4 mile recovery run around the neighborhood. My legs are still pretty tight from Sunday and my last two miles were better than the first two. I’m thinking some yoga may be in my very near future to allow for some much needed stretching of my hamstrings and calves. That and some foam rolling.

To all who celebrate Valentine’s Day – I hope it’s a great one.

To those who don’t – have a great Tuesday. ๐Ÿ™‚

1 Sana February 14, 2012 at 10:53 am

๐Ÿ™‚ I love that you had old posts of your relationship, it’s nice to keep those memories!
Sana recently posted..Family Time

2 Casey @ oatsandnanners February 14, 2012 at 10:53 am

Happy Valentine’s Day to you and Derek!! AND anniversary! This has already been a big year for you guys and the best is yet to come ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m off to eat chocolate — thanks for sparking that craving!
Casey @ oatsandnanners recently posted..Daily Indulgences

3 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers February 14, 2012 at 10:55 am

Ah, that makes my heart swell.

Fun story: My grandma LOVED Godiva and, up to the very end, my grandfather would ALWAYS surprise her with boxes whenever she was feeling blue, or just because it was a Tuesday, and of course for any holiday. I hope Derek maintains that tradition even when you’re old and grey!!

4 Hillary February 14, 2012 at 11:12 am

Adorable. My boyfriend got me green and blue M&Ms for our first V-Day (my favorite—yes, I am that OCD!) and he’s done the same thing every year for the last five. I love it : )

Happy Valentine’s Day—and anniversary!
Hillary recently posted..Sixty

5 michaela February 14, 2012 at 11:18 am

Aw, so sweet!

6 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama February 14, 2012 at 11:19 am

So cute you got to spend the morning making pancakes together!

We have a frother, too. Makes the best cup of coffee ever! I couldn’t imagine drinking one without it at home now. I almost got rid of it a few years ago before I started drinking coffee. Glad I kept it just in case!
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..An Aha! Weekend

7 Fallon February 14, 2012 at 11:22 am

Yum the hazelnut chocolate is the best!

I must say those pancakes look amazing.
Fallon recently posted..Happy Valentineโ€™s Day!

8 Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 14, 2012 at 11:38 am

Ha, I will thoroughly enjoy my regular ol’ Tuesday. Happy Valentines Day to you guys!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Dark Chocolate Truffles

9 Samantha Angela February 14, 2012 at 11:54 am

Aww… So sweet.
Happy Valentine’s Day to the soon -to-be newlyweds!

10 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife February 14, 2012 at 11:58 am

SO so sweet! I love this! Have a great Valentine’s DAY <3
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Fun Heart Facts

11 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City February 14, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Such a sweet story!! That milk frother looks awesome.

Happy Valentines Day!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Valentineโ€™s Day Overnight Oats

12 Sneakers2Sandals February 14, 2012 at 12:20 pm

I’m in desperate need of yoga too! I am thinking of buying the Evolution Yoga groupon from today. I attempted a recovery run today too and ended up walking 3/4 a mile back to my apt ๐Ÿ™‚
Sneakers2Sandals recently posted..Bachelor Ben in Belize in Lululemon

13 Meghann February 14, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Ha! I just bought it! Totally worth it ๐Ÿ™‚

14 Sneakers2Sandals February 14, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Ah! Ok I bought it.
Sneakers2Sandals recently posted..Bachelor Ben in Belize in Lululemon

15 Julie @ There and Back Again February 14, 2012 at 12:37 pm

I LOVE my milk frother!! My mom gave me one a couple years ago and I have never looked back. Try using it with chocolate milk, or with regular milk but adding tea instead of coffee for a tea latte! So many possibilities ๐Ÿ™‚
Julie @ There and Back Again recently posted..College 101: Intro to Garbage Plates

16 Lauren February 14, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Very sweet guy you’ve got there. ๐Ÿ™‚ Enjoy your Valentine’s Day!

And I totally agree – V-Day chocolate makes the best-ever breakfast.

17 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope February 14, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Happy Valentine’s Day and Anniversary to you and Derek! ๐Ÿ™‚ I love the Godiva chocolate tradition! So cute that he made you pancakes for breakfast. Looks yummy to me! ๐Ÿ™‚
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Happy Valentineโ€™s Day!!โ€ฆ

18 Jody February 14, 2012 at 1:00 pm

I saw Kath’s milk frother on her blog and had to buy one. I got mine at IKEA for maybe $3? I LOVE it for my coffee milk, however, I hadn’t thought about heating up the milk first. Even better! Definitely takes coffee at home to another level.

19 Caitlin February 14, 2012 at 1:03 pm

I wrote on my blog in december that i hoped santa would bring me a frother and sure enough my dad took the hint ๐Ÿ™‚ I love that thing! I use mine for chai tea and milk- it’s so much better that you don’t even need to add sugar!

20 amanda February 14, 2012 at 1:11 pm

What an adorable way to start the day. Happy Valentine’s Day!

21 corey @ learning patience February 14, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Wow that frother looks awesome! Sounds like a super sweet tradition with the chocolates! Wish you guys the best Valentine’s Day!

xoxo from Trinidad
corey @ learning patience recently posted..My Ten Reasons

22 Irina G (Fit Flexitarian) February 14, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Aw this is so sweet!!! And I love that Facebook-stalking Vday card… hehe.

23 Poptartyogini February 14, 2012 at 1:45 pm

I love your chocolate tradition. And Godiva no less. Well played! We have red roses as our tradition. Like you said, it isn’t necessarily the items themselves but what they represent. Happy Valentine’s Day!
Poptartyogini recently posted..love story: red roses

24 Kathy February 14, 2012 at 1:46 pm

That is the cutest picture of the two of you…(the top one that is)….

I didn’t know about the frother? I love my latte’s ….I may have to look into buying one of those. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Kathy recently posted..Weekend Recap…

25 Emily @ The Swallow Flies February 14, 2012 at 1:56 pm

That is such a sweet tradition!
Emily @ The Swallow Flies recently posted..Muscle Exhaustion

26 colleen February 14, 2012 at 2:14 pm

So sweet! Have a great day and anniversary!

27 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 14, 2012 at 2:28 pm

What a great story! that’s so sweet that Valentine’s Day has a special meaning for the two of you!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..You Knew This Was Comingโ€ฆ

28 Julia February 14, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Souns like you had an awesome day ๐Ÿ™‚ Happy Valentine’s Day to you both ๐Ÿ™‚
Julia recently posted..Support the ones you loveโ€ฆ

29 MrsSwan February 14, 2012 at 3:11 pm

I think I might be hitting up Bed Bath and Beyond for a milk frother tonight. LOL
MrsSwan recently posted..Self Perception

30 carissa February 14, 2012 at 3:35 pm

So cute! I’m craving chocolates now!
ps – don’t know why I noticed but your shoulders look awesome in that first pic!
carissa recently posted..My sexy Valentine

31 Alaina February 14, 2012 at 4:57 pm

I must have one of those frothers! It seems that everyone who’s tried them loves them! I think they sell them cheap at Ikea. ๐Ÿ™‚

32 Emily February 14, 2012 at 5:00 pm

My aunt and uncle have one of those milk frothers, its pretty sweet! You should definitely keep it, at least until after one of your wedding showers when someone gives you one as a gift!
Emily recently posted..Marathon Training: Week 6 in Review

33 erica February 14, 2012 at 8:06 pm

awww! happy valentine’s day! i remember reading about your first godiva box thinking, “how is this guy not her boyfriend?!?!” and look at you 2 now! =) i love blogs!lol
erica recently posted..a valentineโ€™s day surprise

34 Army Amy* February 14, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Aww! That’s so sweet that he still gives you chocolates every year!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Command Sponsorship

35 Joss February 14, 2012 at 8:46 pm

awww so sweet – Love the true meaning behind the box of chocolates ๐Ÿ™‚
I also love that heart plate!
Happy Valentines Day!
Joss recently posted..Happy Valentines Day โ€“ Part Two

36 Caroline February 14, 2012 at 9:34 pm

I never had read the story of the weekend you started dating, so it was fun to hear about it! It sounds like you have some good Valentine’s Day traditions!
Caroline recently posted..A Look At Valentineโ€™s Day

37 Melissa @TryingtoHeal February 15, 2012 at 11:37 am

Ah, happy valentine’s to you and Derek!!

38 Life's a Bowl February 18, 2012 at 8:06 am

Happy [belated] VDay! I totally love VDay for the chocolates anddd the meaning ;P
Life’s a Bowl recently posted..The Cost of Love [Relationship Infographics]