more ยป" />

Dinner and a Movie

by Meghann on February 11, 2012

Tonight was a girl’s night out with a few of my favorite ladies.

Emily (Mary’s twin), Mary, Callie, me, Courtney, Diana

We met for dinner at one of my favorite restaurants in Ybor – The Bricks. It’s a great restaurant/coffee shop/bar with a funky vibe, fun menu, and awesome craft beer selection.

Callie was already seated when I arrived and working her way through a Samuel Smith’s Nut Brown Ale. She gave me a sip of her’s to try and I immediately ordered one of my own. The rich, nutty flavor had me hooked – this was a great beer.

IMG_6973.jpg

The table started off with a hummus platter and chips and salsa to share. The hummus was a little garlicky, but the dip had a nice mild flavor to it.

IMG_6974.JPG IMG_6975.JPG

I’ve been to The Bricks multiple times over the last year and every time I go, I’m tempted by the peanut butter portion of their menu. They’re famous for their ‘peanut butter bar’ and various peanut butter selections. Tonight was the night I decided I was finally going to try one.

You know when you build up something so much in your head that it ends up being a disappointment when it doesn’t reach that mark? This was one of those times. The peanut butter, apple, and raisin bagel sandwich (aka ‘The Naturalist’, minus the banana) was ok, but that was it. There was nothing special about it.

Next time I think I’ll stick with the other sections of the menu and leave the PB sandwiches for home.

Courtney ordered the grilled cheese with apple and bacon and shared a bite. I should have ordered this. Man, it was good.

After dinner we headed to the theater for the movie portion of the evening.

TheVow.jpg

I’ve been counting down the days to see The Vow in theaters ever since I first saw the preview back in November. (I even blogged about it here) The idea of losing the last 5 years of memories (and forgetting the love of your life) is such a hard idea for me to grasp, that the movie intrigues me. Plus it doesn’t hurt that Channing Tatum is in it (*spoiler* there’s a nice nude scene featuring his bare bottom that’s worth heading to the theater for all on its own ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

There were mixed reviews from everyone exiting the theater. The cynics were focusing on the misses, while the hopeless romantics were drying their tears. Personally, I enjoyed it. Yes, it was a bit cheesy at times, but that’s what I went in expecting and was 100% prepared for it. I think it’s good to have a little cheese in our lives sometimes. ๐Ÿ™‚

Did anyone else see it? Thoughts?

My evening ended with a slice of Key Lime Pie.

And now I’m ready for bed.

Good Night!

1 Stacey @starpulp February 11, 2012 at 12:46 am

Headed to see The Vow with some girlfriends! We’ve been planning a get together for this one since we saw the trailer before New Years Eve!

Good god, I hate to think if I suddenly woke up 5 years ago.
Stacey @starpulp recently posted..Furry Friday

2 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More February 11, 2012 at 12:46 am

I have a feeling I’m going to have to go see the movie. Or maybe just wait for it to hit Netflix. I don’t mind a little cheese. In fact, I love all of the cheesetastic moments that occur in my life. ๐Ÿ™‚
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Fitness Friday // Live Fit Phase 1 Recap

3 Lena @Fit on the Rocks February 11, 2012 at 2:52 am

I think this is one I’ll wait to Redbox ๐Ÿ˜‰ I think Channing Tatum is smokin hot, but the boy cannot act to save his life. I’ve had pb on a burger before, and that was surprisingly a good combo, so maybe you should try it on one of those at home sometime!

4 Molly February 11, 2012 at 4:10 am

I would never waste my time and money watching something so trite and vapid.

5 SaraB February 11, 2012 at 5:07 pm

If Channing Tatum is trite and vapid, then that is exactly what I want to be. Hubba Hubba!

6 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama February 11, 2012 at 6:03 am

I think I’ll wait for The Vow on video. Although it would be nice to see Channing’s bum on the big screen! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Tag! Your It!

7 Laura February 11, 2012 at 7:14 am

I would love to go see TheVow. My chic flick parnter in crime is going through a divorce so it does not seem appropriate. ๐Ÿ™ Netflix will probably be more where I end up at. Thanks for the review.

8 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 11, 2012 at 7:39 am

I saw it last night and was kind of disappointed! I really did like it, but I thought it would be better than it was.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..fun facts friday

9 Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon February 11, 2012 at 7:40 am

Oh man that sandwich sounds so promising! I’m sorry it wasn’t as good as expected ๐Ÿ™
I think I’m seeing The Vow on Tuesday with some of my fellow single lady friends and am very excited!!
Jamie @ Don’t Forget the Cinnamon recently posted..Food prep pays off

10 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 11, 2012 at 7:46 am

I’ve been dying to see the Vow! Maybe next weekend! Haha and I fully expect it to be cheesy.
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..A Holiday Pick-Me-Up!

11 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City February 11, 2012 at 7:59 am

I’m sorry that bagel didn’t live up to it’s expectation, it sounds amazing!!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Friday Quirks

12 Ash Bear February 11, 2012 at 8:03 am

I really wish I could convince Bo to see it this weekend but that’s not going to happen. I guess I’ll have to organize a girls movie date this week too!
Ash Bear recently posted..Friday Facetime: Sleep and Workouts

13 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile February 11, 2012 at 9:32 am

I saw the vow and thought it was kind of boring! It was just a little slow. Channing did make the movie worth while though, he’s beauuuuuutiful!

14 Liz February 11, 2012 at 10:04 am

Mary’s twin?

15 Meghann February 11, 2012 at 10:17 am

Her name is Emily. Unfortunately we were only introduced at the beginning of the evening and her name never came up again, so it slipped my mind. I did politely ask Mary to remind me of Emily’s name last night and have since added it above. I realize that it was incredibly rude of me to forget, but it happens.

16 Jules @La Petite Maison Verte February 11, 2012 at 11:41 am

Bummer that the PB sandwich was just meh. I’ve only been to The Bricks once and did enjoy the hummus. My hubs had a chicken/bacon/apple/brie sandwich that was pretty good. Its such a funky little place!
Jules @La Petite Maison Verte recently posted..Flipped and Fried

17 Army Amy* February 11, 2012 at 12:19 pm

The movie looks cute. Plus, stuff based on true events gets extra points.*
Army Amy* recently posted..Roar

18 Jessica @ Sushi & Sit-Ups February 11, 2012 at 6:44 pm

I’m sure I’ll love the movie. I’m a fan of the cheese!!
Jessica @ Sushi & Sit-Ups recently posted..Arrivals and departures

19 Katie February 11, 2012 at 8:24 pm

I thought it was good, probably just because of Rachel & Channing. I didn’t care for the order it was put together. Kind of bummed but good romance ๐Ÿ˜‰

20 Meg February 11, 2012 at 9:42 pm

I saw The Vow last night and absolutely loved it ๐Ÿ˜€ I know that there are mixed reviews, but I think Channing and Rachel were amazing together and did a wonderful job! My heart was a ball of mush!
Meg recently posted..Sweat It Out Saturday: Live Fit Phase 2

21 MrsSwan February 12, 2012 at 12:47 am

I wanna seeee it! It looks like a great chick flick. But as another comment mentions my chick flick buddy is going through a divorce too so no romance movies.
MrsSwan recently posted..Just another day

22 Laura February 12, 2012 at 1:56 pm

I will probably skip The Vow. I stopped watching Chick Flicks when I met my husband because he was gone all the time (military) and they just made me cry. I’ve realized that they don’t really entertain me, so I either watch things that will make me think, make me laugh, or just blow crap up.

Side not – I watched the SNL with Channing Tatum hosting. I ended up turning it off. The whole thing was about him either being a stripper or his sex life and it wasn’t funny.
Laura recently posted..Running for Sherry

23 Laura February 12, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Oops – Side note*
Laura recently posted..Running for Sherry

24 Joss February 12, 2012 at 1:58 pm

I’m looking forward to seeing the vow this week ๐Ÿ˜€

When I go to restaurants I like to get something I usually wouldn’t make at home – I think that’s part of the fun of eating out ๐Ÿ™‚

25 Kalee February 12, 2012 at 4:20 pm

I always love those type of spoilers ๐Ÿ˜›
Kalee recently posted..Ultimate Guide to Starting & Maintaining the Eat Clean Diet!