How to stretch an avocado out over 4 days of lunches

by Meghann on February 10, 2012

Tuesday:

Cheese, turkey, avocado, and mixed greens on an english muffin

Wednesday

Lunch meat tacos with mixed greens, turkey, carrots, salsa, cheese, and avocado

Thursday

Big salad with brussels sprouts, carrots, turkey, avocado, salsa, cheese, and a tortilla

Friday

Cheese and avocado sandwich on an english muffin

Four lunches. 1 avocado. Done.

Avocados are one of those things that, once it’s ripe, you have to eat it really fast or it’s going to go bad quickly. Hence why a quarter of an avocado found its way in each of my lunches this week. Four days may have been stretching it, but thanks to leaving the pit in the avocado and a squeeze of lemon juice in the ziploc bag, it kept pretty well.

Plus, I LOVE avocado and am more than happy to revolve any meal around it. It’s best when melted with cheese in a sandwich. So good. πŸ™‚

Paired with baked rutabaga fries (just rutabaga cut in fry shapes and baked at 375 for 35 minutes)

and an applesauce.

A great lunch.

What’s your favorite way to eat avocado?

1 Hillary February 10, 2012 at 2:08 pm

I like it simple: guacamole!
Hillary recently posted..Carrot Cake Cookies With Cream Cheese Frosting

2 Amanda Perry @ Sistas of Strength February 10, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Doesn’t it get brown and yucky after 4 days??

3 AceRunn February 10, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Leaving the pit in and sprinkling with lemon juice prevent browning, or at least drastically slow down the process πŸ™‚

4 Meghann February 10, 2012 at 2:20 pm

That’s what I was just about to write! πŸ™‚

5 Amanda Perry @ Sistas of Strength February 10, 2012 at 2:20 pm

I do leave the pit in, but maybe I need to use lemon juice too! πŸ™‚
Amanda Perry @ Sistas of Strength recently posted..Sparkly Soul Headband Winner and 11 Things!

6 Maddie February 10, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Sadly, I am allergic to avocados! So I can’t eat them any way, but if I could, I think guacamole would be wonderful…Mexican just isn’t the same without it!
Maddie recently posted..Outside

7 Rachel February 10, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Guacamole is avocado at its best, if you ask me. With lime, cilantro and red onion. Pure and simple!
Rachel recently posted..Sugar-Free

8 Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 10, 2012 at 2:20 pm

I never thought of pairing it with cheese. Creamy overload!! My favorite way to eat it is either with turkey (love!) or tossed in a salad with poppyseed dressing.
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Winter Minestrone

9 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife February 10, 2012 at 2:27 pm

I don’t eat avocado–but if I did, this would be helpful news!

10 michelle @ the cooking life February 10, 2012 at 2:30 pm

i’m actually not the biggest of fan of avocado but i’d like to be! i just need to give it a chance. thanks for the ideas πŸ™‚ but i do remember a way i ate avocado when i was little. my mom sliced it up thin, poured milk over it, sprinkled sugar and chilled it. i don’t remember what it tasted like but i guess i liked it! oh – and what does rutabaga taste like? i’d like to have an alternative to just potato fries.
michelle @ the cooking life recently posted..recipe: buffalo chickpea dip.

11 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 10, 2012 at 2:36 pm

This is reminding me that I need to try and make rutabaga fries! And I love avocado! especially on salads!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..3 Mile HIIT Run

12 Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe February 10, 2012 at 2:38 pm

mmmmm avocado in every meal makes me happy!
Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe recently posted..Fitspiration (& Fro-yo) Friday!

13 Kathy February 10, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Thanks for the tip on how to slow down the browning process of an avocado….I low them on sandwiches…just had some today…and cut up in salsa. Mmmm…
Kathy recently posted..My "early" birthday post!

14 Lindsey February 10, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Mashed up with sea salt on toast!
Lindsey recently posted..Foodie Friday

15 Olivia February 10, 2012 at 3:07 pm

I usually eat half an avocado with some eggs scrambled with hot sauce in em. So one will last 2 days of bfasts.
Olivia recently posted..Gym Vacation

16 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City February 10, 2012 at 3:11 pm

I love avocado mixed with black beans and spices in a tortilla quesadilla style. The avocado makes everything really creamy!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Things I’m Lovin’ Thursday: Cliff Notes Edition {2-09-2012}

17 Bri February 10, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Suggestion for wedding registry: Chicago Manual of Style

Read and use. It would help your blog immensely if you brushed up on basic grammar and style.

18 k February 10, 2012 at 5:55 pm

I need to respectfully agree with this, Meghann. I don’t want to nag and my comment is not meant to be rude, however, I just can’t help but think that you’re not putting as much effort into fixing this *huge* issue about your blog. I’ve been an avid reader since you’ve started and this has been a pressing problem for a few years now and has shown no sign of improvement. I understand that you’re probably busy and that you’re posting quickly throughout the day, but you are a full-time professional blogger and writer, it will only lend credibility to you as a writer if you were to (seriously) work on this issue. I know you’re busy with your wedding now and this can, perhaps understandably, take a back seat, but I just can’t help but think: this is your job, we are your readers, how can I (or anyone) possibly take anything you say seriously when you can’t form basic grammatical sentences or know how to use basic punctuation? It’s almost degrading, in a way, as a reader, and seriously hurts the integrity of your blog. Again, I don’t want this to seem like an attack or even come off as nasty, that’s not my intent at all and I apologize if that’s how it sounds. My intent is only for you to maybe think a bit more about how much effort you truly are putting into improving the quality of your blog.

19 megs February 10, 2012 at 3:16 pm

I use 1/2 avocado every breakfast and 1/2 in ever salad. Lots of avocados eaten per week for me!

20 Grace February 10, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Unfortunately I have some kind of bad reaction to avocados so I don’t even try to eat them..but everyone is always talking about how amazing they are. I feel a little left out but it’s not worth the pain! More avocados for you:)

21 Sarah February 10, 2012 at 3:27 pm

I’m not sure that 1/4 of an avocado is enough to really “revolve a meal” around…

22 Meghann February 10, 2012 at 3:31 pm

I think it is. I chose to have an avocado and cheese sandwich over a peanut butter and apple sandwich because I had the last of the avocado to use and I didn’t think it would be right with peanut butter. Hence my meal revolved around the avocado. πŸ™‚

23 Poptartyogini February 10, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Avacado is awesome in any form though I’m appreciating how awesome the english muffin is. Egg sandwiches, soup dunkers, pizzas, the possibilities are endless!
Poptartyogini recently posted..blessing: a ‘new’ car

24 Jaima February 10, 2012 at 3:35 pm

I love avocado in all forms. I seriously have never had it when I didn’t like it. Your first turkey, avocado, and cheese sandwich on that english muffin has left me with a serious craving. I’ve been known to eat it when it gets brown and yucky…tastes the same to me.

25 JunieB February 10, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Why would you stretch an avocado to 4 meals? Is it due to cost or calories? Not that it makes a difference since they’re cheap and the good for you calories.

I’m going to have to quit reading your blog. You seem to be restricting. Its beyond noticable not only in your descriptions but the pictures tell a story as well.

Sad.
JunieB recently posted..Push Ups (Weighted Medicine Ball) and Box Jumps

26 Socal Rachel February 10, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Love avocado, I went through a phase where every meal revolved around it. With eggs, in sandwiches and salads. I’ve even made avocado smoothies, yum!
Socal Rachel recently posted..Travel day again – Jan 16

27 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness February 10, 2012 at 4:50 pm

A little lemon juice does wonders. I am an avo addict too and wouldn’t mind having some right now!
Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..Get an All-Natural Face Lift with Face Yoga

28 J February 10, 2012 at 4:54 pm

I want to buy avocado but I always worry that it wont keep once I use a bit of it. I will have to try keeping the pit and lemon juice!
J recently posted..WIAW – Veggie Love

29 Sarah February 10, 2012 at 4:57 pm

as a salad dressing!
Sarah recently posted..FLOW

30 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope February 10, 2012 at 4:58 pm

I love avocados! My favorite way to eat them is in guacamole. I love making it fresh at home. It’s really easy to make. I’ve never had an avocado last 4 days though!
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Freaky Friday…

31 Jules @ La Petite Maison Verte February 10, 2012 at 4:59 pm

I love love love avocado! Guacamole or sliced on sandwiches are my favorite ways to eat it but it’s awesome on top of chili or salad…or just about anything really (except maybe ice cream) πŸ™‚

32 Cait's Plate February 10, 2012 at 4:59 pm

I do the same! 1/4 each time I use it πŸ™‚ Perfect amount!

33 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More February 10, 2012 at 6:45 pm

I LOVE avocado but hate how it gets so brown just the next day. I’ll have to try the lemon juice tip though because I already do the ziplock bag and pit still in part…
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Fitness Friday // Live Fit Phase 1 Recap

34 Phyllin' Phat February 10, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Rutabaga fries?!? You shut your mouth.
Phyllin’ Phat recently posted..I’m a Whale

35 Jane @ Jane's Addictions February 10, 2012 at 6:51 pm

I have problems with preserving the avocado. It browns really quick even when I wrap it in plastic. I read somewhere that you can stick in water + lemon juice cut side up and that helps. I’ll have to try that.

36 amanda February 10, 2012 at 7:02 pm

how to stretch an avocado out over 4 days? buy 4 avocados πŸ˜‰

37 Cate February 10, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Atop a piece of Ezekiel toast, sprinkled with sea salt and pepper. Best summer breakfast ever. πŸ˜€

38 Army Amy* February 10, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Guacamole is my fave, but I am also addicted to a quinoa and black bean dish from Daily Garnish that has avocado. I actually made it twice this week. It’s that good!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Great Strides

39 Joss February 10, 2012 at 7:57 pm

I like avocado slices in taco salad πŸ˜€
Joss recently posted..Scottish Shortbread With Tea

40 Jordan@almondjay February 10, 2012 at 8:37 pm

I love avocado in everything! One of my favorite ways is adding it to chive cottage cheese πŸ™‚
Jordan@almondjay recently posted..Garage driving 101

41 Carissa February 10, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Wow! I’m so impressed with your avocado saving skills! BOGO at Publix?
Carissa recently posted..Five Things Friday

42 Hannah February 10, 2012 at 8:58 pm

I love avocado with lemon juice and garlic salt, delicious!

43 Amie February 11, 2012 at 12:25 am

Preheat oven to 450. Cut avocado in half and crack an egg in it. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook until the egg is how you like it. It’s amazing!

44 Meghann February 11, 2012 at 12:28 am

I’ve been meaning to try that one – I’ve seen it floating around pinterest!

45 Mindy-Clueless Nut February 11, 2012 at 12:36 am

I love avocado! My favorite way is to eat it on a sandwich with tomato, bacon, and a fried egg.
Mindy-Clueless Nut recently posted..What I Ate {at Highland Bakery} on Wednesday

46 Dana @ the Big Fat Skinny February 11, 2012 at 8:38 am

I absolutely LOVE avocado any old way, but yesterday I made one of the best sandwiches with it. Toasted Ezekiel bread topped with a fried egg (slightly wet yolk), sliced avocado, and sliced tomato. Oh. My. Yum. I’m tell you it’s a must try. It was delicious and left me thinking I wanted to use the rest of my left over superbowl avocados for the very same purpose.
Dana @ the Big Fat Skinny recently posted..Homemade Valentines

47 Jamie in Arkansas February 11, 2012 at 8:40 am

I love avocado – usually eat 3-4 a week. One avocado only lasts me two meals since I eat 1/2 at a time. And sometimes I eat the whole thing! They are awesome mashed up with hummus on a wrap!

48 Kate February 11, 2012 at 2:05 pm

In a sandwich with tomato and cheese!
Kate recently posted..February Resolutions