A New Race Book

by Meghann on January 31, 2012

It’s here! It’s here!

My 2011 Race Book has arrived!

I created my first race book for my 2009 races when I was looking for a way to organize my over-flowing bulletin board of race bibs. I loved the 2009 one so much, that I couldn’t wait to create one for 2010 or 2011 when the time came.

I love them and now look forward to creating the books each year. I have three years of race memories all tucked away in three coffee table books that are fun to flip through when ever I need to feel inspired.

All three books were created using the iPhoto program that came with my MacBook. If you have a Mac and are looking to create a calendar, memory book, or any other photo project – I suggest creating them all directly through iPhoto. It’s a little pricier than other online photo programs, but the ease of use (drag and drop with no need to upload or download) and high quality final product make the extra $$ worth it.

Screen shot 2012-01-31 at 1.57.27 PM.png

Every other page is dedicated to a particular race with the date, race, and finish time on the bottom.

And the opposite page is intentionally left blank for the race bib.

Speaking of race bibs, here they are.

As I collect them through the year, they’ll hang in a nice neat row on the bulletin in the office. When the book arrived, I took them down and prepared the space for the new round of bibs for 2012.

Am I the only one who leaves the safety pins on the bib after I’m done? It’s a bad habit.

Once all the safety pins were removed…

I got out the double sided tape

And got to work.

Done.

awww… memories!

From local mud bashes, to fancy half marathons – they’re all in here.

I have a scrapbook for every semester in college, every birthday party in high school, every family vacation, summer camp, etc. These race books are my tech-savvy modern versions of those scrapbooks, only without all the crazy work and I bet these wound up being a little cheaper too. (Scrapbooking is a very time consuming and $$$ hobby!)

Plus, they’re not as bulky and sit nice on the shelf or under the coffee table. 🙂

Now that I have a system in place on what to do with my race bibs every year, I need to figure out what to do with my medal problem.

I have a medal hanger, but they’re spreading! I even went through and put away some of the medals for smaller races or race repeats. I think I just need to find another medal holder that’s a little larger and can accommodate more medals.

Or I can start moving mine over to Derek’s holder.

Do you think he would notice? 😉

I don’t want to stuff them all in a box, but maybe there’s away to place them in a book or something. Hmmmm….

My lunch today was extra cheesy.

That’s three kinds of cheese (parmesan, blue cheese, and provolone) grilled in an onion roll with fresh dill and hummus.

The fresh dill was a welcome treat. It gave the sandwich an extra flavorful kick and stopped the sandwich from being too cheesy to just right.

On the side I have left over lima beans

and carrots

After seeing YoungHouseLove post the other day about their family ‘Yearbooks’ I’m attempted to create similar photo books for Derek and I that are full of our travel adventures. We seem to travel a lot and it would be fun to have a whole year’s worth of adventures in one large year-end book, instead of several small ones.

Are you a photobook junkie? What have you created them for?

1 Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt January 31, 2012 at 2:58 pm

What a beautiful scrapbook! I am a scrapbooker and I love creating books to look back on. I do old school and digital scrapbooks. My favorite is my vacation book, I will never forget when we went, where we stayed and what we did because of my these books!
Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt recently posted..Accident’s Happen

2 Krissy @ Shiawase Life January 31, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Love that Race Book idea, Meghann!

3 christine @ BookishlyB January 31, 2012 at 3:00 pm

I love doing the ones online, like you- scrapbooker I am not. I’ve made them for my dog and for some big trips. I made one for our wedding as a guest book, too- I did pages of our childhood, families and time together, leaving one side blank (like you did for your bibs) so people could sign. I love, love, love going through it.

I use mixbook.com- affordable, good quality, and full of every option imaginable (no, I don’t work for them, haha).

4 Jen January 31, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Absolutely love this! The race book is such a great idea – I may have to steal it and start making them myself. And I also leave the safety pins on my bibs – not sure why. Well, one I use to pin them to the bulletin board, but not sure of the rest.

5 Meghan January 31, 2012 at 3:09 pm

That’s an AWESOME idea!! Thanks for sharing.

6 Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe January 31, 2012 at 3:13 pm

What a cool idea!

7 Lindsey January 31, 2012 at 3:24 pm

That is so cool! I should do that 🙂 I did photobook’s for all our parents and grandparents from our wedding from Mixbook, then our photographer did a fancy (and pricey) one for us as a keepsake. I was thinking of making a photobook from our summer road trip where we ran a Disneyland half marathon but haven’t gotten around to it yet. I am not one for actual scrapbook so love the digital photobooks.
Lindsey recently posted..4 Minutes

8 Sarah January 31, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Love this! I actually just created an iPhoto book and I was trying to decide what size to Order! It looks like yours are hardcover? Are yours “large” 11×8.5 or “medium” 8×6? Thanks!

9 Meghann January 31, 2012 at 3:35 pm

It’s a medium hardcover. I have yet to order a large from there.

10 Jessica January 31, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Love the racebooks! I am doing this for sure!
Jessica recently posted..Is this thing on?

11 Mac January 31, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Agreed! I’m going to start this year since it’s really my first year of doing a decent amount of races!
Mac recently posted..January Foodie Pen Pal

12 Kathy January 31, 2012 at 3:33 pm

This is too funny…I do the same thing…but not “race books”….mine are usually titled “The Year in Review” or “What we did in a year” etc…I use Shutterfly and have done so for the past 5 years now.

It’s so much easier than having big photo albums, the pictures are preserved so nicely and we get to add personal comments or quotations ….love them!
Kathy recently posted..I am on a roll!

13 Allison January 31, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Great idea! Ilove it.
Allison recently posted..There is a such thing as a free lunch, and breakfast

14 Julie @ There and Back Again January 31, 2012 at 3:34 pm

I LOVE your race books! What a creative idea – I saw the YHL post the other day and thought the same thing. I’d love to see a later post (or even just a quick paragraph and couple photos) on your other scrapbooks if you ever feel like sharing. I’ve done scrapbooks for my few major travels and have thought about doing one for college, but I’m totally intimidated at trying to do justice to how many photos I have! I’d love to see how you put that all together. Congrats on the new memory! 🙂
Julie @ There and Back Again recently posted..Making a Mosaic Mirror

15 Meghann January 31, 2012 at 3:37 pm

I keep meaning to post about them. I think you’ve inspired me to actually say something about them! Most of my high school ones are still in the closet of my childhood bedroom at my parents’ place though.

16 Julie @ There and Back Again January 31, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Cool! Can’t wait to read/see that post whenever it takes shape.
Julie @ There and Back Again recently posted..Making a Mosaic Mirror

17 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City January 31, 2012 at 3:41 pm

I LOVE those books- what a great idea!!

I always leave the safety pins on my bibs too. After a race I am wayy too lazy to take them off 😛
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Smooth Sailing

18 MrsSwan January 31, 2012 at 3:44 pm

I LOVE your book idea! That would be awesome for some of hubby’s bibs. Right now we have his medals on a HM medal hanger that I made for him during his 2nd Disney Marathon to come home and hang up on. I am planning on working with http://www.ironsportworks.com/ to come up with something perfect for my crazy runner.

19 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife January 31, 2012 at 3:47 pm

WOW–love this!! I too love photo books (so much easier than scrapbooks, for sure!!) SO this is a great idea.

We did a photo book for our wedding and I LOVE it. We also made one for our parents.

I am loving dill right now too!

20 poptartyogini January 31, 2012 at 4:07 pm

such a smart way to keep all your race memories ship shape. i love using the apple program to make those books. for my first anniversary (the paper anniversary–and the only anniversary i actually followed the traditional rules) i made a book of all our engagement photos. i was luckily enough to find a photography studio where part of the package was we owed the rights to our engagement and wedding photos. that means that in the end we received discs with EVERY picture they took during our engagement shoot and wedding day. we never had to buy anything from the studio and could take the discs to costco and print as many of any picture we wanted. wow, that got preachy but i think it is so important to have as many professional pictures as possible from your wedding. sorry about that!

21 jena January 31, 2012 at 4:12 pm

I love that racebook! I don’t think I would have enough pictures to create an entire book just for one year. There are plenty of races that I went to alone so no pictures were taken. I have actual picture albums from the first few years that Chris & I were dating. Now the photos are just stored on a USB drive or my computer. I did make a little book of our wedding.. i’m just not crafty.

22 Sasha January 31, 2012 at 4:14 pm

I have a friend who converts his race medals into Christmas ornaments and hangs them on his tree every year. He sometimes does two trees: one for all the traditional ornaments, and a mini-tree for all his race medal ornaments.

It’s really pretty, and a good excuse to keep collecting more! During the rest of the year, you could store them in a pretty keepsake box.

23 Meghann January 31, 2012 at 4:19 pm

That’s a great idea!

24 Silvia @skinny jeans food January 31, 2012 at 4:21 pm

haha, I already know the cover photo of your 2012 race book!!!! 🙂

25 Corey @ Learning Patience January 31, 2012 at 4:22 pm

I love your photobook idea for races!
That is awesome! Congrats too on filling SO many books!

xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Cauliflower Crust Pizza – SO GOOD

26 Cait's Plate January 31, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Oh my gosh that race book is SUCH a good idea! I definitely have a lot of people in my life that I could get that for! And HOLY YUM on that lunch. That looks so perfect!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Top 5: Boston Trip Edition

27 Meg at runridelove.com January 31, 2012 at 4:39 pm

That’s so much fun. I wish I have the motivation or creativity to do projects like that! Sadly, I’m terrible at crafts, never remember to take photos (trying to get better at that since the bf got me a great camera for christmas) and always lose my race bibs/metals. Not a good combo…
Meg at runridelove.com recently posted..And So It Begins…

28 Dana January 31, 2012 at 4:39 pm

I LOVE that idea. I have all my race bibs stuffed away somewhere and have been wondering what to do with them for a while. Not sure I have enough photos of each race (hmmm, maybe I should make that a priority too?) but I definitely think I’m going to try harder to have photos and bibs ready for a 2012 book. Thanks for the inspiration!

29 Lisa (bakebikeblog) January 31, 2012 at 4:56 pm

such a wonderful idea!

30 Army Amy* January 31, 2012 at 5:29 pm

I love the race book! What a cute way to organize your race pictures and bibs!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Sayonara, January!

31 Hillary January 31, 2012 at 5:35 pm

I saw YHL’s family book and thought the same thing, too. I have SO MANY pictures from the last few years that are just begging to have something done with them—other than languish on my memory card or Facebook albums!
Hillary recently posted..Five

32 Alaina January 31, 2012 at 6:04 pm

That photo book is so cool!! I made so many photo books after my wedding (for my bridesmaids, grandparents and David). I think a race book is such a good idea.
Alaina recently posted..Half at the Hamptons Training – Week 9

33 Emily G. January 31, 2012 at 6:10 pm

I’m not sure if I can type out my thought but I’ll try…

For your medals, would you be able to do a shadow box of all the medals to hang a wall? Get some nice matte and let the ribbon “hug” a corner of the and let the actual medal dangle or glue it on the matte. The excess ribbon can be bunched in the back so you wouldn’t have to snip anything. I hope this thought makes a little sense. lol

34 Melissa @TryingtoHeal January 31, 2012 at 6:19 pm

I wish I would have done something like that…I do/did do scrapbooking…need to get on that. I have all the photos!

35 Caroline January 31, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Those photo books look awesome and are definitely a solution to the bib/picture issue. I’ve never made one but I’ll need to check it out on iphoto!
Caroline recently posted..January Recap

36 Liz @ Tip Top Shape January 31, 2012 at 7:16 pm

That is such a great idea! I bet it’s a lot of fun to look back on all that you did!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Coffeemate: A love affair

37 Sneakers2sandals January 31, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Love the race book!! What a great idea. I might have to take that one 🙂
Sneakers2sandals recently posted..What’s a Fartlek and Procrastinating

38 Allie January 31, 2012 at 7:58 pm

I am a huge scrapbooker! Love it so much. I a bunch of different books of me growing up, one for concerts, travels, etc. I have started using iPhoto as well because it is so much easier to do and takes up less space!
Allie recently posted..The First Day

39 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 31, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Those look really cool! Haha, no way I’d have enough races in a year to fill a book though. There are so many I want to do, but I have to pick and choose because it’s so expensive!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Yoga and Dinner–Blogger Style

40 Megan January 31, 2012 at 8:20 pm

What a great idea!! I know you will have MANY more race books!

41 Lauren January 31, 2012 at 8:48 pm

What a great idea! Such a wonderful way to capture all of the most memorable experiences for you.
Lauren recently posted..Mental Escape

42 Kathleen @ fittitude freedom January 31, 2012 at 8:54 pm

What an awesome idea! Too bad I have trashed most of my bibs. Maybe I need to start saving them again. Just wondering where you got those custom medal holders. Will you please email me the company name Maybe you have given me a great idea for all those T-shirts I have stored in bins. I could take photos and create a book- then donate the shirts. What a space saver that would be.

43 Gia @ rungiarun January 31, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Color me with envy!! You are so organized and the books are lovely. I strive to be a scrapbook junkie however I simply am not. Maybe I could do an i photo book though!!
Gia @ rungiarun recently posted..ING Miami Half Marathon Race Recap

44 Kristin @ FoodFash January 31, 2012 at 10:28 pm

I love the idea of a race book! The only photo books I’ve made were for bachelorette weekends. I wrote out each item of the “checklist” on colorful paper and took a picture after the task was checked off, took a picture of the task being performed, and placed these pictures next to each other to create the books. They came out so nicely!
Kristin @ FoodFash recently posted..Last Of The Cafe Hey Days

45 Chelsea January 31, 2012 at 10:31 pm

LOVE that idea! I really want to create myself a book as well now lol.

46 Steph @ 321delish January 31, 2012 at 10:48 pm

I love your idea for the photobook of race bibs! What a great way to use the bibs! My boyfriend helped me figure out what to do with mine: http://321delish.com/2012/01/27/new-place-new-friends/
It’s a little, uh, in your face…but I’m really diggin it right now!!
Steph @ 321delish recently posted..Marathon Training: Weeks 2 & 3

47 Natasha @ Moody Girl in Style January 31, 2012 at 11:10 pm

I love this idea! I have a lot of pictures of my races from last, but I’ve thrown away all of my race bibs. Now I have a reason to save them. Thanks for sharing!
Natasha @ Moody Girl in Style recently posted..OOTD: Inside Out

48 Jess February 1, 2012 at 3:32 am

Why don’t you just buy another race holder similar to your current one? And then have two. Maybe keep half and marathon on one and smaller races on the other?

49 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups February 1, 2012 at 8:23 am

Great idea, Meaghann! I love photobooks. I created one for my fiance’s and my first trip together, but after reading that Young House Love blog post, I’m definitely going to start doing our family yearbook. I used to scrapbook all the time, but I love this “modern” way to do it!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Return to White Wolf

50 Lydia February 1, 2012 at 10:07 am

Wow…those race books are awesome! I really may have to steal that idea…love it! And where did you get those medal hangers?! Those are so great!
Lydia recently posted..My husband is awesome!

51 Emily February 1, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Your race book idea is AWESOME! Problem for me is that I never have any pictures from races except for maybe one, and the ridiculously expensive “official” ones that I don’t ACTUALLY have, because I won’t buy!
Emily recently posted..And Kitchen Demo Starts… NOW!

52 Heather Blackmon @ Better With Veggies February 1, 2012 at 3:51 pm

The race book idea is awesome, I wish I had thought of that years ago. I wonder if we could make a huge book to incorporate all the bibs & pics we have collected so far to get caught up, it’s a wonderful way to really preserve those memories. Great idea!
Heather Blackmon @ Better With Veggies recently posted..Atlanta Underground Market: Brunch Edition

53 Patrice @ Moment To Memory February 1, 2012 at 5:38 pm

I absolutely love this idea! I’m looking forward to the day when I’ll have run enough races to fill up an entire book!
Patrice @ Moment To Memory recently posted..When giving up is actually a step towards success

54 Jen April 27, 2015 at 8:23 pm

Love the books . I havery heard some people make magnets out of the medals to use on their fridge.

55 Jen April 27, 2015 at 8:23 pm

Love the books . I have heard some people make magnets out of the medals to use on their fridge.

56 Lisa May 12, 2016 at 2:46 pm

Do you find that putting the actual race bib in the book that the book doesn’t close flat?