more ยป" />

To Titusville and back again

by Meghann on January 30, 2012

Road trip!

Derek and I are leaving for Vermont to go skiing on Wednesday and it occurred to me sometime last week that all of my ski stuff was at my parents’ house in Titusville. Fail.

This afternoon I made the quick home to pick up my ski gear and drop Miss Maddie off for the week with my parents. I guess the bonus of having to make the impromptu trip to Titusville is taking advantage of free doggie care aka my parents aka the trip was totally worth saving me $200 in doggie camp fees. ๐Ÿ˜‰

A nut and dried fuit trail mix was enjoyed along the way.

(photo taken in parked car before I left Tampa)

For a family that has lived in Florida our entire lives, we sure do have a lot of ski gear.

IMG_6738.jpg

I think it’s just what has accumulated from 20+ years of family ski trips.

Flashback to a Vermont ski trip in 1995!

Ben's album 025.jpg

awwww aren’t we cute? ๐Ÿ™‚

I collected what I needed and was on my way.

Well, not without taking advantage of a free meal first. ๐Ÿ˜‰

My dad was looking for an excuse to recreate a cuban chicken dish he saw Guy Fieri create on the Food Network the other night. I didn’t watch exactly watch my dad did, but he created this dish completely from memory off of what he saw from the show. There’s a whole cut-up chicken in there, some black beans, peppers, lots of seasoning, and rice. The whole meal took about an hour and tasted even better than it looked.

I had one of the breasts and a generous helping of rice. This was seriously good stuff. I need to make impromptu trips home more often for free meals like this!

The drive back to Tampa wasn’t terrible. A solid two hour drive with minimal traffic and lackluster radio music (why do radio stations insist on playing the techo versions of songs after 8?!).

However, I had my eye on the prize – homemade chocolate chip cookies waiting to be enjoyed at home.

Derek and I are slowly making our way through the batch I made on Thursday night – one cookie at a time. ๐Ÿ™‚

Many thanks to Melissa for introducing me to WeddingGawker.com tonight. If you need me over the next two hours, you’ll know where to find me. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Good Night!

1 Ash Bear January 30, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Forty eight hours and counting! Did Melissa send you an email about extra goggles?
Ash Bear recently posted..Exploring Mystic Seaport

2 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life January 30, 2012 at 10:24 pm

That meal your dad made looks do good! It almost reminds me of a jambalaya in a way with the rice and many seasonings, only with chicken! Yum!
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..South of the Border

3 Emily @LivingLongfellow January 30, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Gosh that rice meal looks incredible!!! Every time I try to make a meal from memory it tastes terrible. He’s got skills!
Emily @LivingLongfellow recently posted..Monday Freedom

4 Olivia January 30, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Guy Fieri is like, my shameful food network love. Not HIM. But the foods he eats/makes/talks about on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. OMG. I love when it’s on at the gym, cause I can vicariously indulge in the fatty things he eats while actually working out!
Olivia recently posted..Yums of the Day

5 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 30, 2012 at 10:33 pm

only ONE cookie at a time? Pretty sure I’m making my way through the cookies I made the other day FIVE at a time…;)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Music Monday // Youth Lagoon

6 Christine @ BookishlyB January 30, 2012 at 10:40 pm

One at a time? How do you do that?

7 Hannah Hawley January 30, 2012 at 10:49 pm

Looks like Snowshed at Killington!
Have a blast skiing! Vermont is surprisingly brown this time of year when you get off the mountains.
Hannah Hawley recently posted..Foodie PenPals – November

8 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama January 31, 2012 at 5:59 am

I’m jealous of your ski trip. I hope you get snow(at least there is man made). NH is pretty brown right now!
Angela @ Happy Fit Mama recently posted..Libraries, Spinach Pesto, and Running

9 Lindsay January 31, 2012 at 6:04 am

I hope we get some snow for your trip! It has been a pretty green (err brown) winter in VT
Lindsay recently posted..Workout Playlist: My Top 10 Songs

10 Jodi @ Jodeexi Writes January 31, 2012 at 7:49 am

Your dad must have some serious talent – that looks delicious! Fresh baked cookies would probably be waaaay to tempting. I could never only eat one. Enjoy the ski trip ๐Ÿ™‚
Jodi @ Jodeexi Writes recently posted..Tuesday truths: Honoring your body

11 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope January 31, 2012 at 7:57 am

Sounds like you are going to have a fun ski trip! That dinner your dad made looks yummy! ๐Ÿ™‚
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..11 Thingsโ€ฆ

12 Army Amy* January 31, 2012 at 8:11 am

Your dad needs a blog! He cooks the coolest stuff!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Sayonara, January!

13 Angela January 31, 2012 at 8:13 am

you NEED to post some sort of recipe for your dads recipe. That looks AMMMAAZZIINNGG I tried to google a guy fieri recipe for cuban chicken and couldnt find anything!!

14 Emily January 31, 2012 at 8:40 am

Good girl one cookie at a time! I could never do that.
Emily recently posted..Mexican food + Fitness = ???

15 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats January 31, 2012 at 8:52 am

Haha we have a ton of ski gear too, but no skis! We always rented.
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Yoga and Dinnerโ€“Blogger Style

16 Heather @ Run Eat Play January 31, 2012 at 9:21 am

Looks like a fun ski trip. I’ve never been skiing and we live 20 minutes from a ski hill!
You’ve probably heard of it, but The Knot website is awesome for wedding stuff. I lived on that website when I was getting married!
Heather @ Run Eat Play recently posted..My Top Ten Workout Songs

17 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife January 31, 2012 at 9:22 am

I LOVE skiiing!!!! SUch a fun workout and way to enjoy the mtns ๐Ÿ™‚
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Healthy Eating Plate Review

18 Allison January 31, 2012 at 9:36 am

So fun. Were missing our annual ski trip this year, boo! But y’all have fun.
Allison recently posted..There is a such thing as a free lunch, and breakfast

19 Kathy January 31, 2012 at 10:01 am

Aww…skiing in Vermont…kind of reminds me of White Christmas!!

One cookie at a time??? Never heard of that before! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Your dad rocks in the kitchen!! Maybe he should cater your wedding? (ha!)
Kathy recently posted..12 Wks til the next HALF!

20 Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs January 31, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Oooh, I wish I had known about that website when I was wedding planning last year!

21 Sloane @ My Life in Florida January 31, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Weddinggawker?? Oh no. I’m never going to sleep now!! ๐Ÿ™‚
Sloane @ My Life in Florida recently posted..Gators, Waiters, and Cheese Oh My!! Part 2